Jump to content

NQ has a new CEO .. Discussion


Recommended Posts

We heard you! 

 

Better communication!

 

Bew Info soon!

 

Open and transparent!

 

Lmao. If it's true then this is getting better and better. The game is bad but at least the surrounding like forum and fuck ups are hilarious and well worth my pledge 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always had the feeling JC was in the wrong place (an din over his head) being both the visionary and the creative director/project manager. If this all means that he will remain the visionary and in that "role" consult and advise on the game's progress and development while overall leadership is in the hands of someone who actually has proven experience in business and finance then I think this change is very good. If NQ now also hires a proper project manager to structure and manage the development process and progress, even better.

 

At the same time I also know that the bottom of the money pit is very much visible for NQ and they probably have 2-3 months left before someone needs to put in a good chunk of cash. This change can also mean that will happen as it is not unreasonable to assume that this change in leadership is part of a financing deal struck with the VC investor group.

 

[speculative mode on]

So far VC investment has been on par with a seed and Round A level which normally does come out at around 20-25 Million. My speculation here would be that this change may be part of a round B investment which would inject a considerable amount of capital in the order of 50-70 Million (or more). Seeing how we are coming up on the 2 year mark since the Round A investment back in June 2019 it is possible this is the endpoint for the investors to take the option to move to Round B for which they have demanded the CEO position to oversee their investment.

[speculative mode off]

 

As I've said many times, I do believe in the potential and promise of DU but have my doubts whether NQ, under the then current leadership, would be able to deliver on that. To be honest I choose to be on the positive side of this change as the other option was pretty much where NQ was heading anyway.. So here's to hope for change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I'm saying that what we're seeing can be leading into another investment round. Not saying that it will, just that it can.

 

Generally speaking, it's quite amusing to me how many who tend to bash my comments or opinions as being negative and spelling doom and gloom are not actually doing just that. There is no indication of this change being a prelude to the end of NQ. It is a change of leadership and frankly that change was long overdue as it was clear to me that the previous leadership was not doing so well.

There is a number of things that can happen next, some of it bad, some good. But for now, all we know is NQ has a new CEO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been expecting a full server whipe .... now i see it can be a permanent one ...

 

Couple days ago, while talking with other players about DU, one thing we all agreed on was the lack of comunication from NQ.

 

This, if true, can explain alot ...

 

Trying to be positive but not feelink like it ....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping they will still see it through. The company I work for has gone through president/CEO changes several times but not for any bad reasons and it didn't change the company outlook, so I don't want to assume the worst.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When a startup company's co-founders (the entrepreneurs) have resigned, what could it mean? They already concluded and came to the agreement that this is a failed startup and is about to go on liquidation of assets and end of service. This new chairman will be tasked of this liquidation and return as much as it can possibly return to the investors (LPs) from this loss. Since this is a failed startup, they didn't made it to a successful exit via IPO or acquisition. What they are going to do instead is close this business, minimize their financial loss by liquidating whatever they can liquidate (selling the tech, etc.), and settle what they have to settle (if they have something to settle financially like personal debt and/or limited liable debt).

 

VC is a firm that get's paid to manage the portfolio of it's LPs (the investors). VC has a diversified high-risk investments. Most of these investments are expected to fail like what happened to NQ but they get it back from the high returns of successful ones. This is about the overall portfolio performance. VC makes a lot of money even from bad performance as they are not the investors (the loss is to the LPs).

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, blazemonger said:

As I've said many times, I do believe in the potential and promise of DU but have my doubts whether NQ, under the then current leadership, would be able to deliver on that.

Lol, the VC will manage this startup instead? They are investors and they invest on the ability of the entrepreneurs (the founders) to grow the startup. Now that these entrepreneurs resigned, what could it mean? I've read this many times, it's the same situation. I said this before: they won't receive a round B in this kind of condition, it will be a deficit for them.

 

I'll be seeing you in Starbase! 😁 'Till then!

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Eternal said:

Lol, the VC will manage this startup instead? They are investors and they invest on the ability of the entrepreneurs (the founders) to grow the startup.

The chances our founder and alpha packs being worth something are looking grim. 

 

But the technology will be sold and reused. 

Maybe we will have a great game after all. But from another company. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joaocordeiro said:

But the technology will be sold and reused. 

I keep hearing it again and again.

 

But, realistlicy, while this tech (or more correctly: NQ solutions bases on existing/known things) sounded rather cool back then 6-7 years ago, by now others can (if really want) reproduce similiar or, likely, more competent variants of it. DU tech, while bragged about a lot, very clumsy in practical implementation, with horrible optimisation, barely working PvP netcode and myriad of other shennegians -- likely with some inherent and deep flaws. Generaly, NQ wasted years of stuggle to make it somewhat work, to extent, that they left no time for actual development of gameplay.

 

So, I highly doubt, that whole this package at this point (and with already strained reputation) cost anything big. Sure, someone can use it as reference point, scavenging material for own research, but thats it. Not astronomical sums in question.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eternal said:

When a startup company's co-founders (the entrepreneurs) have resigned, what could it mean? They already concluded and came to the agreement that this is a failed startup and is about to go on liquidation of assets and end of service. This new chairman will be tasked of this liquidation and return as much as it can possibly return to the investors (LPs) from this loss. Since this is a failed startup, they didn't made it to a successful exit via IPO or acquisition. What they are going to do instead is close this business, minimize their financial loss by liquidating whatever they can liquidate (selling the tech, etc.), and settle what they have to settle (if they have something to settle financially like personal debt and/or limited liable debt).

 

VC is a firm that get's paid to manage the portfolio of it's LPs (the investors). VC has a diversified high-risk investments. Most of these investments are expected to fail like what happened to NQ but they get it back from the high returns of successful ones. This is about the overall portfolio performance. VC makes a lot of money even from bad performance as they are not the investors (the loss is to the LPs).

Exactly

 

I keep seeing people saying they hope this new ceo will take a shot at saving the company...

 

Changing ceo and the VC taking control are not the same 

 

Its time to go liquid.. sale sale sale.. everything must go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joaocordeiro said:

The chances our founder and alpha packs being worth something are looking grim. 

 

But the technology will be sold and reused. 

Maybe we will have a great game after all. But from another company. 

What tech are you talking about?  The server tech that was supposed to  allow 100s of players and/or ships to play in one area at the same time without horrible lag? 

 

Yeah, that tech doesn't work. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, le_souriceau said:

I keep hearing it again and again.

 

But, realistlicy, while this tech (or more correctly: NQ solutions bases on existing/known things) sounded rather cool back then 6-7 years ago, by now others can (if really want) reproduce similiar or, likely, more competent variants of it. DU tech, while bragged about a lot, very clumsy in practical implementation, with horrible optimisation, barely working PvP netcode and myriad of other shennegians -- likely with some inherent and deep flaws. Generaly, NQ wasted years of stuggle to make it somewhat work, to extent, that they left no time for actual development of gameplay.

 

So, I highly doubt, that whole this package at this point (and with already strained reputation) cost anything big. Sure, someone can use it as reference point, scavenging material for own research, but thats it. Not astronomical sums in question.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is the fallacy of many of those labeled "ahead of his time genius"

 

JC was not the first to have this particular flavor of mmo dream, it has been independently dreamed up by tons of people.

 

He just tried to do it way before it was feasible while other experienced and knowledgeable developers knew it was a wild goose chase with that eras technology

 

Now the tech is arriving and others are starting in on the dream too, but they are not burdened by a codebase that was trying to compensate for older crappy technology and network infrastructure.

 

Du is like an steam engine automobile

 

Everyone else knew the idea was riddiculous and not practical.

 

Now there is gasoline e and everyone is designing cars.

 

Nq is trying to adapt their steam powered automobile to gasoline, and surprise surprise it's a complete mess

 

And now there will be a few fanboys left saying... "all these new cars are just imitating JCs steam powered automobile".. not realizing he didnt come up with the idea.. he was just the only one dumb enough to try to build an automobile with a steam engine

 

It was a fun experiment, even if all it really did was prove "tech not there yet... tech not there yet... tech not there yet..... tech arriving but this project is a rats nest, it would be a good time for someone to start from scratch"

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, blazemonger said:

[speculative mode on]

So far VC investment has been on par with a seed and Round A level which normally does come out at around 20-25 Million. My speculation here would be that this change may be part of a round B investment which would inject a considerable amount of capital in the order of 50-70 Million (or more). Seeing how we are coming up on the 2 year mark since the Round A investment back in June 2019 it is possible this is the endpoint for the investors to take the option to move to Round B for which they have demanded the CEO position to oversee their investment.

 

 

 

I'm positive for this management change too. NG interested in digital learning and DU has a great potential for new education system supported by metaverses and augmented reality based single shard MMO's. 
Note: Following link tells a lot: https://medium.com/@ngranati/following

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, blazemonger said:

I have always had the feeling JC was in the wrong place (an din over his head) being both the visionary and the creative director/project manager. If this all means that he will remain the visionary and in that "role" consult and advise on the game's progress and development while overall leadership is in the hands of someone who actually has proven experience in business and finance then I think this change is very good. If NQ now also hires a proper project manager to structure and manage the development process and progress, even better.

 

At the same time I also know that the bottom of the money pit is very much visible for NQ and they probably have 2-3 months left before someone needs to put in a good chunk of cash. This change can also mean that will happen as it is not unreasonable to assume that this change in leadership is part of a financing deal struck with the VC investor group.

 

[speculative mode on]

So far VC investment has been on par with a seed and Round A level which normally does come out at around 20-25 Million. My speculation here would be that this change may be part of a round B investment which would inject a considerable amount of capital in the order of 50-70 Million (or more). Seeing how we are coming up on the 2 year mark since the Round A investment back in June 2019 it is possible this is the endpoint for the investors to take the option to move to Round B for which they have demanded the CEO position to oversee their investment.

[speculative mode off]

 

As I've said many times, I do believe in the potential and promise of DU but have my doubts whether NQ, under the then current leadership, would be able to deliver on that. To be honest I choose to be on the positive side of this change as the other option was pretty much where NQ was heading anyway.. So here's to hope for change.


Based on the numbers some of us can pull, it's projected that June/July is the bottom of the money pot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rothbardian said:

I'm positive for this management change too. NG interested in digital learning and DU has a great potential for new education system supported by metaverses and augmented reality based single shard MMO's. 
Note: Following link tells a lot: https://medium.com/@ngranati/following


Wouldn't trust any of that... lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...