ParagonExploiter

Alien Sociology  

155 members have voted

1. 1. If aliens existed what would you like them to be like.

• Primitive and hostile(e.g.stone age)
    • Interactive and untouchable
    • Quest-givers
    • Hostile to all players and war-able
    • Diverse and organisation befriending
    • Other

Aliens have long been a subject of speculation and a pillar of science-fiction, so I set to wondering, if the game-makers finally decide to bring them what would we like them to be?

EDIT!!: Do not post any pictures videos or information from the pre-alpha(as proof or otherwise) according to the NDA. 

Edited by ParagonExploiter
Update

"

Aliens...? The developers did let the cat out of the bag for all of us when they announced that there will be NPCs in Dual Universe. Whether they will be aliens or not, is up to speculation and their final decision. I personally don't want aliens early into the game, perhaps six months to one year after the full release. That's just my opinion, it's free to be debated and disagreed with.

"

I am not sure what you mean by "finally", between Mass Effect, the Star Wars & Star Trek franchises they seem to be a staple, and one that is very difficult to do with any level of justice.

My personal preference is a world of gods and beasts: Almost anything we'd find out there would either be millions of years ahead or millions behind, so you could see alien drones harvesting materials from suns while completely ignoring you, and you could see alien animals roaming on other planets and feeding of vegetation guarding their nests or wondering whether you are edible, but nothing in between, nobody that is going to fit right within the human range and relate to you as an individual. 

• 2 weeks later...

While it's unlikely for sentient alien races to be added as a playable or interactable race as said by the devs, It's a nice idea. Given that the short story written for DU features an intelligent alien race that communicates with the main character of the story. However, it has already been said that the only 'alien' races will likely be simple wildlife to populate the planets and add depth to the otherwise full of life but lifeless planets. Even that is planned for later down the line.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to know if we can be an alien cause i would love to join or make an alien organisation.

They said you won't be able to play as aliens but i think it would be cool.

for explame if you conquer a nomad alien civilization new characters would be able to play as aliens.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of a primitive alien race. It would go well with the theory that says that we are the first intelligent life in the universe(http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/08/25/491307739/are-we-the-earliest-intelligent-life-in-the-universe) It would also make the game more about players and less about the alien-like annoyances that run at you with petty claws/sticks/spears while you might have a gun. While also still featuring aliens in the game for the people who just like the concept of aliens.

Aliens would be cool.

What if we eventually came across some sort of Type III (Kardashev scale) class alien that purposely caused the demise of Earth because they wanted to "test" us?  So they may not be necessarily bent upon our destruction... but want to see what we can be capable of?

Aliens would be cool.

What if we eventually came across some sort of Type III (Kardashev scale) class alien that purposely caused the demise of Earth because they wanted to "test" us?  So they may not be necessarily bent upon our destruction... but want to see what we can be capable of?

No. We are not getting NPC aliens. That word has been said as final by the devs. We will see wildlife on different planets, types of flora, and so on but no actual NPC, factions, races, or so on will be implimented. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested in aliens, but not the scifi standard ones. I dont want an alien fishman telling me to go kill 50 novalarks and bring me their spleens. 

maybe something so alien we can not understand them. something so beyond it its almost something out of the Cthulhu mythos. or perhaps their ruins and outposts and the quest is to decipher the outpost's secrets. in doing so you get rewards or blueprints. then when you meet that alien it reacts based on what you have done. it ignores you if you havent solved any mysteries. attacks you if you got its mysteries by force, or grants you some info or another quest if you got it by figuring out the puzzles. or any mix, like maybe some aliens respect your brute force instead. but they should be rare and dangerous. 

mankind has ventured out into the great unknown. the MORE UNKNOWN there is, the better. the more strange and mysterious, the better. the more humans most work together against the unknown, the better. let mankind's greatest enemy not be himself once more. 

side note, when I heard npc I was originally picturing more along the lines of the arkship itself. like the ai. go get me 100 iron ore and I will make you a speeder bike sort of thing. we may have like a suit with the ai in it or the ai may be confined to the ship. I wouldn't want the ai to be there all the time though, I want to feel on my own, isolated, driven to make connections with other humans to survive. 

Honestly im against intelligent or sentient alien lifeforms, an wolf like intelligent hunting pack that actually coordinates with each other and reacts would be nice, but no Empire. IF there are alien sentient lifeforms i hope they get restricted to stone age or even earlier and not real civilizations.

That said and Alien AI (not lifeform) that inhabits a planet/moon/asteroid wathever, wether it expands or not could be fun and engaging. Take for example the mining drones from stellaris, they sit in their system and (presumably) mine asteroids all day and shoot you if you get to close. If we can find new tech through such encounters i think it would benefit exploration gameplay and surveying and add a lot of depth to the game.

I like what Traceur said about beasts and gods - the chances of an alien species being at a comparable level of sentience to us is small. That said, this is a game, not reality, and game design should follow what is fun and engaging, not what is merely probable.

My preference would be for there to be no advanced aliens that still exist, but as we build star-gates and travel to other systems we start to uncover the crumbling remains of other star-faring civilizations, leaving us a mystery as to what happened to them and why none are still around. Is advanced civilization inherently unstable? Is there something out there killing off advanced civs? The archaeological remains would provide aesthetic interest, as well as the shells of bases that could be repaired, and of course derelict alien tech that could potentially be reverse engineered.

• 3 weeks later...

If we encounter an alien race, they will either be more primitive than we, equally advanced, or ahead of us.  

If we are more advanced than they are, they will either see us as gods (if they are significantly behind us) or they will covet our technology (not unlike we would in real life if an alien race came by).

If they are equally or more advanced, they might have a bit of a problem with us slamming a colony ship into their planet like Cleopatra's Needle and taking their resources for ourselves.

Honestly i think the big "surprise" du is working on with the 7000$ backers is to have an alien invasion way later on in the game where everyone from the arkship has to work together

• 2 months later...

Why not both?
One Planet has like the stone age Aliens that think we are gods.
Another Planet has just animals.
A group of Planets is colonized by an advanced alien race that is equal or above human...

Some could be interacted with, tradeing, quests, even invite them into our society.
Others would be hostile and attack on sight.

That would be the perfect solution.
Just lots and lots of diffrent things...

Why not both?

One Planet has like the stone age Aliens that think we are gods.

Another Planet has just animals.

A group of Planets is colonized by an advanced alien race that is equal or above human...

Some could be interacted with, tradeing, quests, even invite them into our society.

Others would be hostile and attack on sight.

That would be the perfect solution.

Just lots and lots of diffrent things...

It's great and all, i want it. Many want it. But it takes lots of time for devs to make and implement and will likely not happen in a distant future.