NQ: Time to answer the question - Will there be a wipe?

Thunderblaze

NQ, with release effectively on the road map, now is the time to let us know if there is going to be a wipe. This will help the player base know if the game is worth continuing to play in the interim and prevent any further wasting of time and mass building for content that would just be wiped.

Please let us know if you will hold true to JC's words of there won't be a wipe.

Thank you.

No rush to answer the wipe question from me. If there's a wipe and I lose my hard-earned stuff, then I won't be continuing. Really keen to play this game for many more years, but absolutely will not start from scratch again.

(Solo pre-alpha player; 2200 hours in game since 3rd month of beta release, when I figured out that the GOG client could record my in-game time!)

Wiping or not, I really want an answer from NQ. The way they keep going around the answer and pushing it forward is really giving a bad taste, similar to when scam games start "disappearing".

At least for me, if they go for wiping I really will pause my subscription until post wipe, as I don't see any point in investing time and money into something that's just going to disappear.

Sure, many other players *will* do the same, since there isn't really a point in investing when you know a wipe is happening, but if NQ keeps pushing it like that, by hiding information, I *really* hope they are prepared, because the backlash will be monumental and will be another stain on NQ's public image and public relations, similar to the whole Market 15 story.

39 minutes ago, Thunderblaze said:

Listen to the man.

When you can't make an argument stick, rip what you need out of context and prentend it fits your narrative ..

What JC refers to here is the initial plan to wipe again shortly after beta start to introduce the new planet tech. This was cancelled due to opposition by certain player groups and so that update (an dthe needed wipe for it) never happened. This mention doe snot imply now suport the argument that JC evenr said that there would not be another wipe post beta launch.

In fact, he pretty much left that option wide open HERE and NQ has done so ever since.

try again..

2 minutes ago, Wolfram said:

Wiping or not, I really want an answer from NQ. The way they keep going around the answer and pushing it forward is really giving a bad taste, similar to when scam games start "disappearing".

I would expect NQ is afraid that they wil gain a lot of bad publicity if they announce the wipe now and may loose a chunk of existing player base before they are ready to start pushing the game for release. So from a business perspective it makes perfect sense to not announce it, even when not doing so also means you are effectively actually saying just that. 

So IMO not announcing they won't now, pretty much tells us they will wipe prior to release and frankly, doing a wipe and having a "headstart" period for beta accounts who buy into a discounted mulitple months sub package has merit and makes sense as it will likely pull in more players, have player return and generate revenue more than losing players who mostly already are playing for free ..

5 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

When you can't make an argument stick, rip what you need out of context and prentend it fits your narrative ..

What JC refers to here is the initial plan to wipe again shortly after beta start to introduce the new planet tech. This was cancelled due to opposition by certain player groups and so that update (an dthe needed wipe for it) never happened. This mention doe snot imply now suport the argument that JC evenr said that there would not be another wipe post beta launch.

In fact, he pretty much left that option wide open HERE and NQ has done so ever since.

try again..

Blazemonger, you have years worth of posts asking for a wipe and encouraging it. Regardless, players should have an answer and not have to wait and be teased.

Am debating not playing till this is answered fully. Even a partial wipe will be problematic and won't really solve any real issues... The community/game hasn't even fully settled from the construct slot changes yet.

This last post from NQ was poorly communicated: "This includes long time topics such as will there be a wipe at launch, Avatar vs. Avatar and DAC implementation. We appreciate your patience and we will have the answers for you as soon as we can."

Pretty boldly implies they don't have the answers to those questions, which are things they should know if they're planning to release after their next major update.... Which is worrying, and I hope is addressed ASAP.

This smells of the board of directors at NQ forcing release to happen, this year. They hired 
Nouredine Abboud to push this game to release in 2022, and by doing it mid year (6 or so months after they brought him on as CEO) they can watch the release numbers and decide how to proceed by the end of Q4 2022. From a investor stand point it makes complete sense, and either way will produce a result finally.

The issue is now this places the pressure on the development team to tie up the loose ends started years ago. I feel for the devs right now... they're stuck between a rock(investors), a hard place(development hell) on top of their customers with pitch-forks at the ready. Now is the time to be brutally honest, upfront- and fully transparent... not just about a wipe, but the state of the game and the plans going forward into launch and after.

You only get one chance to announce the full launch of your game, a footnote in a PTS update post that raises questions about the sate of the game and creating FUD is not it. 

If a full wipe does happen, I'm gone.

I have relied on the fact that NQ has said that a wipe is only the last resort.

So I have invested as much time as I could in the last months, procured Quantas and Blueprints. Other players were creative and spent months building their buildings/ships.

I don't give a shit about the players who have enriched themselves in some illegalway, but why should the community suffer?

The market can still be brought in order, only need is a consumption here (except fuel).  Be it about the elements that break down, factories that lose efficiency or the like. Also, you could insert a Recykler, where you get a small l share of ore in return from broken parts.

It's nice that there should be an Aphelia Space market, I would much rather see player markets, where you can log in from your location.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by PotatoMart

3 hours ago, blazemonger said:

try again..

I would expect NQ is afraid that they wil gain a lot of bad publicity if they announce the wipe now and may loose a chunk of existing player base before they are ready to start pushing the game for release. So from a business perspective it makes perfect sense to not announce it, even when not doing so also means you are effectively actually saying just that. 

So IMO not announcing they won't now, pretty much tells us they will wipe prior to release and frankly, doing a wipe and having a "headstart" period for beta accounts who buy into a discounted mulitple months sub package has merit and makes sense as it will likely pull in more players, have player return and generate revenue more than losing players who mostly already are playing for free ..

Ive said this too many times before.  If NQ plans to NOT WIPE, it actually benefits them to say that, and dbl down hard. Tell the players your stuff is here, come sub, and release is coming!!  If NQ's plan is to wipe, it benefits them to NOT SAY ANYTHING NOW.   It just makes sense. 

5 hours ago, Wolfram said:

At least for me, if they go for wiping I really will pause my subscription until post wipe, as I don't see any point in investing time and money into something that's just going to disappear.

Sure, many other players *will* do the same, since there isn't really a point in investing when you know a wipe is happening, but if NQ keeps pushing it like that, by hiding information, I *really* hope they are prepared, because the backlash will be monumental and will be another stain on NQ's public image and public relations, similar to the whole Market 15 story.

I'm sure some will he mad, not blaming them. But me personally, my decision to continue to play or not has no bearing on a wipe whatsoever, so to me it's a complete non issue. If this next patch vastly improves pvp, and the next few mini patches are good, and they post a small "whats to Come after release" and it seems cool, I will 100% play post wipe. If this next patch sucks ass and they don't wipe, I won't be playing.  Obviously other people feel different but this is just me.

10 hours ago, VandelayIndustries said:

I'm sure some will he mad, not blaming them. But me personally, my decision to continue to play or not has no bearing on a wipe whatsoever, so to me it's a complete non issue. If this next patch vastly improves pvp, and the next few mini patches are good, and they post a small "whats to Come after release" and it seems cool, I will 100% play post wipe. If this next patch sucks ass and they don't wipe, I won't be playing.  Obviously other people feel different but this is just me.

Some will be mad, but I think there's a misunderstanding of the demographics if people think wiping the servers will "kill" the game.

The beta population is tiny. Too tiny to be a concern for NQ's bottom line. Especially betas on an actual subscription. 

The difference between keeping all the beta players and losing them all is almost immaterial at the scale they need to achieve to stay solvent.

They needs 10s of thousands of subs to turn things around. To maintain at the scale of their company today, they'd probably need near 100k subs -- and $12 million/year in revenue isn't even enough for a company of NQ's size and costs. 

So...NQ doesn't really care if every beta leaves because they decide to wipe or decide to not wipe. They'd rather keep us, sure...but they're going to do whatever believe will get them to that scale, and "will beta players leave" just isn't an important part of that calculation. 

I believe that wipe mention at the end of patch annoucement was a very clumsy way for NQ to gauge how much of upheaval can they expect if they had gone through with it.

I've decided long ago, granted after years of broken promises and vaporware annoucements, that NQ is not getting any more of my money unless they show some cosistency in the way they operate their business. And that latest annoucement stunt is wonderful proof of them being exactly the joke we have suspected them to have become.  They should really clarify this cliffhanger promptly, unless they want to loose whatever little left they have for potential playerbase for their so called "release".

I for once, i'm done playing this guess what smells behind curtain number 2 game. Make your mind up, and grow a pair and than maybe, maybe you'll see a cent out of my wallet. Not a moment before than.

Started from scratch in DU twice before, 3rd time will be in different game.

6 minutes ago, Bazzy_505 said:

I believe that wipe mention at the end of patch annoucement was a very clumsy way for NQ to gauge how much of upheaval can they expect if they had gone through with it.

I've decided long ago, granted after years of broken promises and vaporware annoucements, that NQ is not getting any more of my money unless they show some cosistency in the way they operate their business. And that latest annoucement stunt is wonderful proof of them being exactly the joke we have suspected them to have become.  They should really clarify this cliffhanger promptly, unless they want to loose whatever little left they have for potential playerbase for their so called "release".

I for once, i'm done playing this guess what smells behind curtain number 2 game. Make your mind up, and grow a pair and than maybe, maybe you'll see a cent out of my wallet. Not a moment before than.

Started from scratch in DU twice before, 3rd time will be in different game.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I think it's been more than twice at this point.

Since the game in general is just a kind of time loop, a wipe would only make me stop playing. What's the point of putting the years I've put into the game and paying for it again? It doesn't make sense since there is no real new content either. The game itself won't generate a huge amount of player hype upon release either, as this game is more of a niche product that tends to attract a very small community of players, most of whom are already in the game or have been and left.

So I, for one, have no fun in collecting all the skill points again over years, to grind again millions of ore and build up again everything that has already been built up in the course of this time. 

A half wipe would also make no sense in this respect, because everything you let the player keep in a wipe is a game advantage, which would cancel out the wipe idea, because absurd.

so what is wrong with having a few rich people?  They add character to the game. This obsession with fairness is not natural.  I am not rich by any means, but I don't mind if others are, as they are either wonderful allies or a goal worthy of bringing down.

This isn't the kind of game where you have a score.  What is the actual need for a "level set" that is driving the wipe requests?

Edited by Carnegie

3 hours ago, blundertwink said:

Some will be mad, but I think there's a misunderstanding of the demographics if people think wiping the servers will "kill" the game.

The beta population is tiny. Too tiny to be a concern for NQ's bottom line. Especially betas on an actual subscription. 

The difference between keeping all the beta players and losing them all is almost immaterial at the scale they need to achieve to stay solvent.

They needs 10s of thousands of subs to turn things around. To maintain at the scale of their company today, they'd probably need near 100k subs -- and $12 million/year in revenue isn't even enough for a company of NQ's size and costs. 

So...NQ doesn't really care if every beta leaves because they decide to wipe or decide to not wipe. They'd rather keep us, sure...but they're going to do whatever believe will get them to that scale, and "will beta players leave" just isn't an important part of that calculation. 

I agree with that. The population is laughably low right now. 30+ people I use to play with all quit ages ago. They need to make a splash and get new players. 50k subs I'd say minimum but probably closer to 100k like you said is needed.  

4 hours ago, Carnegie said:

What is the actual need for a "level set" that is driving the wipe requests?

Somewhere with-in these lyrics lies the answer:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
And when I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire

Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells

With NQ throwing the wipe around again as a discussion, the assumption is that there will be a wipe. If a wipe would be excluded, one would save this discussion and would have simply written, "there will be none" and the topic would be settled.  NQ could have prevented all this discussion and excitement along with the fears of the players that is currently rolling through the game and here through the forum. Instead, I think it is observed how big the outcry of a wipe will be. Is therefore the same scenario with action - reaction as then with the core limit.