NQ: Time to answer the question - Will there be a wipe?

Thunderblaze

1 hour ago, Endstar said:

Still see the basic pro wipe comments as:

I feel like I would be behind in a game that has no win condition.

I feel like people before me took advantage of the state of the game before this current version and I feel like I would be behind.

Both of these reasons will not and cannot be addressed via a wipe. Maybe short term but give it a year and both matters are back. 

I guess anyone that agrees to this pro wipe reasoning should just support a wipe every X days and stop asking for a one time event that changes nothing. 

That probably one of my biggest pet peeves with the pro wipe bois. Do they want us to have seasons or something similar in the name of "fairness". We all know as soon as they started taking money for month subscriptions they left the real "beta" phase and chance for them to do a full wipe without much backlash. They are adding small expansions to the game, just like any game as a service type of setup. If they want to do a "release" will a full wipe, they REALLY need to add some kind of real gameplay loop that doesn't solely rely on hoping some people are out PvPing. Setting everyone back 2 years will only end up showing how shallow gameplay is in most parts of the game.

9 hours ago, ADCOne said:

The game is still in beta so you cannot really says its broken because its not actually finished. You could say 'its not quite finished' or 'something is not done yet'. Once its actually version 1 of the game that is when you could talk about something being broken because its at the point NQ says its how they want it to work.

Building ships has not changed as far as I know. You do not have to care about things like atmosphere within the ship. Voxels are pretty much useless, you just slap random elements together and the thing will fly.

AFAIK DU does still not have an ingame mailing possibility which is ridiculus for an MMO.

Gameloops have been changed but I do not see an improvement. To be honest I never tried missions because they came out after I quit. But I know how long it takes to slowboat to a planet. So doing about 3 hour trips totally AFK is not what i would say is fun.

NQ right now trying to rebalance PvP to make smaller ships better to fight against larger ones. This is something they should have figured out at least roughly before even going into alpha.

There still are no player markets although it is a "player driven economy".

That is what I mean with "broken".

Edited by PleiJades

I fully understand all those pro-wipe callers. If you want to attract new players to stay long time, I call it a necessity. Otherwise they come into a game being brutally overwhelmed with tons of questions and heavy disadvantages comparing to the early birds.

But I dont think they could rise the "long-time" player-base two times by what was there already. All SpaceEngineers, Empyrionouts and whatnotsimilar scifi fans were there already. NQ may rise a peak at release but this just for a short time I guess.

our past:

I've seen crowded places - everywhere, once in time. Now its a graveyard. The leftover of our cooperation is 1/6 of what once was there. Nobody online. All gone. I consider this to be the real problem of NQ. The SpaceEngineers++ are there no more. Thats why they need to wipe and swallow the tasty peak as a final *bonus before the grounding.

Performance. No holes anymore, less buildings, clean markets - but still very choppy sometimes. If this is not because of a cluster-downsize to reduce running costs, then NQ did anything wrong to establish a persistent long term EVElike success game.

conclusion (my personal)

Too many heavy changes with huge surprising effects, because of weak NQ brainstorming, is what has caused this situation. 

@NQ, take that last last *bonus, you've deserved it for the sake of taking the risk and giving it a try - of - your single shard persistent Universe

There's a lot of psychology around joining an MMO at launch and wanting to advance quickly, rise to the top before the game becomes mature...I don't get it personally, but it's very obviously a real motivation.

Yes, the game will end up in a similar place in X years or months...but that really isn't the point. 

It isn't time for NQ to answer the question about wipes...it's long past time. It shouldn't take them weeks and weeks just to make a decision, never mind implement it.

No wonder dev is so glacial...no one wants to make a call? Why do they believe they have this sort of time to squander...? 

I think they greatly underestimate the amount of time they need to spend 100% focused on scalability, bugs, and polish. They have months (if not years) of debt piled up, here...and refusing to make a professional UI/UX will do a lot more to churn players than the lack of a clean slate. 

It'll fail just as hard if those thousands of new outposts (or massively upscaled industry thanks to schematic removal) crashes the servers under the weight of untested scale.  

On 4/14/2022 at 12:17 PM, Bobbie said:

Those who have access to the Alpha forums can click the link below to confirm this (section "Global wipes and wipes in the future on Dual Universe"). I would quote it here but it's NDA.

The statement made there is what has been said by JC, Sesch and several others from NQ in public, so it's hardly under NDA

NQ will do a full wipe at beta, which is  intended to be the last one. There may still be partial wipes which may be needed for any number of reasons. If such a wipe occurs any assets that can be retained will be in the form of blueprints and talent points accrued will be returned to the pool. 

So yes, NQ has said that they will not do another FULL wipe after the one they did prior to beta but they reserve the right to do a partial one at any time between beta and release as they deem needed. That is and always has been their position. Based on the many statemens NQ staff have made the one mention of a "no wipe" in a press release can safely be seen as missing the FULL part on that, so it shoudl read "no FULL wipe". 

On 4/14/2022 at 5:55 PM, blundertwink said:

There's a lot of psychology around joining an MMO at launch and wanting to advance quickly, rise to the top before the game becomes mature...I don't get it personally, but it's very obviously a real motivation.

True but what is missed in the case of DU is that the Talent system(which is designed -exactly- like the skill system in EVE)  will allow a new player to really get very close to more advanced players fairly quickly.

Talents are tiered with a time multiplier and if a talent takes 10 days to complete, it will take 2 days to train L1-L4 and 8 days for the 5th level. So while an experienced player, 2 years after beta started, will be at  a point where he is mostly training L5 talents which take a massive amount of time, a new player will be able to "catch up" to on the same talents to L4 in about 5, maybe 6 months. And they will get there for the lower tier talents (x1-x3 multipliers) even faster while the more tenured player is training higher tier (x4-x10) L5 talent levels which take weeks to complete.

Effectively, at this pointg in time, a new players will complete several talents to L4 in the same time a more tenured player completes a single L5 train.