Jump to content

Hi, I'm NQ-Pann! AMA!


Recommended Posts

Can I haz cookie? 🍪

 

Uoh.. yeah, I remember UO. I'm older now but not much smarter. A bit calmer, if anything, maybe? Anyhow, got a message from the past for you:

OoOoOoooOooOOoOoOooOooOOOooOOOooOooOooooOooOooOoOooOOoOo OOoOOOOO OoooOoOOOooOoooo OOoOOOOO OoOOOoOOOoooOoOoOooOOOOoOooOooOO OOoOOOOO OoOoOoOoOooOoooOOooOoOOoOoooOooOOooOOoOoOoooOOoOOoooOOooOooOOoOo :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Q: Can you get the social media team to centrally gather links to all dev interviews with summaries of their information after they happen, so that new info doesnt spread over the universe.

Ill introduce myself too!

I'm Samlow, or Anointed in wow. Im a long time gamer, and love these kind of games. Minecraft Infinite Skyblock, 4x, MMOs, love the long plays. I've been on the From the Depths dev team (indy company) for a year during its alpha phase as a game systems concept designer. The love of that game sparked my interest in this game as a Voxel builder thats not just tournaments and singleplayer.

Currently Im working as a Video Producer and Director, due to covid with a focus on virtual and remote productions.

Oh and Im dutch

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Samlow said:

Q: Can you get the social media team to centrally gather links to all dev interviews with summaries of their information after they happen, so that new info doesnt spread over the universe.

This. We shouldn't have to watch an 'interview' to learn that the alioth-thades-madis safe zone will be staying.

 

5 minutes ago, TyaArcade said:

Pineapple on Pizza, yes or no?

May I introduce you to a certain Pineapple subreddit? Pineapple on pizza is the Nectar of the Gods.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NQ-Pann said:

Tell me a little about yourself.

I am a space pirate with an extensive history of wealth redistribution.

 

1 hour ago, NQ-Pann said:

What brought you to Dual Universe?

Rumors of space riches beyond my wildest dreams, ready for the taking.

 

1 hour ago, NQ-Pann said:

Ask me anything. I'll answer what I can.

I would love any information on if there are any future plans for Space Cores/Stations in regards to defense. What I mean by this is, as it stands, they operate very much like a territory (base of operations) yet receive none of the protections. As I am to understand, unless it is built inside of the safe zone, it is vulnerable 24-7. With the safe zone ultimately being the minority of the play-space, surely it is unreasonable to expect a station to be staffed/defended at all times. Or are they all expected to be built within non-pvp space?

 

I am not looking for any hard answers, perhaps just a statement that this is not the end design/intention. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vertex said:

Can I haz cookie? 🍪

 

Uoh.. yeah, I remember UO. I'm older now but not much smarter. A bit calmer, if anything, maybe? Anyhow, got a message from the past for you:

OoOoOoooOooOOoOoOooOooOOOooOOOooOooOooooOooOooOoOooOOoOo OOoOOOOO OoooOoOOOooOoooo OOoOOOOO OoOOOoOOOoooOoOoOooOOOOoOooOooOO OOoOOOOO OoOoOoOoOooOoooOOooOoOOoOoooOooOOooOOoOoOoooOOoOOoooOOooOooOOoOo :) 

Guards

Bank

Vendor buy

All follow me..

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shockr said:

Tabula Rasa was awesome! We tried everything to get hold of the source code for that to keep it going!

I joined the TR team about six months prior to its debut at E3. This was when it had a pastel color palette and weird weapons like fans, drumsticks, etc. It wasn't fun and it fell flat at E3. We were crushed, but I can't say we were surprised. Starr Long, the producer, called each member of the team to his office for a 1:1. He asked, "Why wouldn't you buy Tabula Rasa today?" I've had lots of conversations with him since then, but I always come back to this because in that moment my respect for him soared to infinity. How hard that must have been for him, in meeting after meeting, to hear people -- his own team -- list off all the things that were wrong with a game he'd already dedicated X-many years of his life to bring to this point. It had to be gut-wretching, but he did it with grace and humility. You gotta have mad respect for a man like that. 

6 hours ago, carijay766 said:

disco lights when?

Like here in my office or in the game, cause I'd be down for a giant disco ball here in Pann's Playhouse. That would be dope! 

6 hours ago, vertex said:

Uoh.. yeah, I remember UO. I'm older now but not much smarter. A bit calmer, if anything, maybe? Anyhow, got a message from the past for you:

OoOoOoooOooOOoOoOooOooOOOooOOOooOooOooooOooOooOoOooOOoOo OOoOOOOO OoooOoOOOooOoooo OOoOOOOO OoOOOoOOOoooOoOoOooOOOOoOooOooOO OOoOOOOO OoOoOoOoOooOoooOOooOoOOoOoooOooOOooOOoOoOoooOOoOOoooOOooOooOOoOo :) 

Sorry. No way I'd waste skill points on Spirit Speak. An Corp! 

6 hours ago, Samlow said:

Q: Can you get the social media team to centrally gather links to all dev interviews with summaries of their information after they happen, so that new info doesnt spread over the universe.

I'm not the boss of the social media team, so I can't assign tasks to them. Plus, that sort of thing isn't really in their wheelhouse. Instead, I can tell you that one of the things I will be doing is overviews of our own live streams. Once I've gotten a little more settled and I'm more involved with the content creator community, I may be able to at least hit the highlights when a member of our team is a guest on a live stream or video. 

6 hours ago, TyaArcade said:

Pineapple on Pizza, yes or no?

I don't have an aversion to pineapple on pizza, but my favorite is a crispy crust with alfredo sauce, mushrooms, black olives, and bell pepper. 

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

When is the next (and an actual) AMA with JC or (senior) game devs/designer(s)?

 

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. 😃 Seriously, it's on our internal calendar but I'm not able to announce it just yet. Soon™. 

 

4 hours ago, Musclethorpe said:

Sad pirate noises.

Lost Boys kill pirates. Just sayin'. ;)

 

3 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

Favorite location in UO world? 🧀

Lake Superior was my play shard, so that was definitely a favorite. I was a seer on Great Lakes, so lots of great memories from there as well. But, I gotta say, my favorite places were the ones you could only get to if you were a volunteer. I remember that one of the GMs had been tweaked so that if you double-clicked on him, you could throw him and he'd blow up like a purple potion. Good times. 😃

 

3 hours ago, Mordgier said:

Do you play DU as a past time - not as your job?

We have a phrase here in the South, "Dance with the one that brung ya", meaning that you should devote your attention to the person that brought you to the party. I guess that's how I feel about games, too. When I'm working on a game, I don't really play anything else (unless it's some silly little mobile game like Candy Crush). I'd been working on Crowfall for the last five years so that's what I was playing. I'm the n00biest of the n00bs in Dual Universe now, looking forward to learning the ins and outs from all of you.

 

5 hours ago, Musclethorpe said:

I would love any information on if there are any future plans for Space Cores/Stations in regards to defense. What I mean by this is, as it stands, they operate very much like a territory (base of operations) yet receive none of the protections. As I am to understand, unless it is built inside of the safe zone, it is vulnerable 24-7. With the safe zone ultimately being the minority of the play-space, surely it is unreasonable to expect a station to be staffed/defended at all times. Or are they all expected to be built within non-pvp space?

 

 Speaking frankly, these won't ever be the kinds of questions I'll be able to answer. My role is mostly behind the scenes, writing things and working with the content creator community. 

 

5 hours ago, personality_matrix said:

What was your EVE CCP name? Just curious.

Pann. It's the name I used as a UO volunteer and I've been using it ever since. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NQ-Pann said:

I joined the TR team about six months prior to its debut at E3. This was when it had a pastel color palette and weird weapons like fans, drumsticks, etc. It wasn't fun and it fell flat at E3. We were crushed, but I can't say we were surprised. Starr Long, the producer, called each member of the team to his office for a 1:1. He asked, "Why wouldn't you buy Tabula Rasa today?" I've had lots of conversations with him since then, but I always come back to this because in that moment my respect for him soared to infinity. How hard that must have been for him, in meeting after meeting, to hear people -- his own team -- list off all the things that were wrong with a game he'd already dedicated X-many years of his life to bring to this point. It had to be gut-wretching, but he did it with grace and humility. You gotta have mad respect for a man like that. 

Thanks for sharing this, both sad, but something to learn from.

 

And... to be super honest, I glad you have such "crisis" experience, because Dual Universe too has pretty troubled development, with patches of serious alienation betwen devs and community perceptions of things. Something I hope CM team reinforcements (with fresh eyes, brains and energy) help to eventualy mend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

o/. I'm coming from Eve. Eve made me grow a passion for single shard sandbox MMOs. Few days in alpha made me decide DU will be the only other game in the same genre, and given enough time and development it can be miles ahead. I really hope that happens.

 

Are there other ex-CCP'ers in NQ? Particularly early-CCP'ers at the design side. The very idea of that game was a big leap in gaming and MMOs. I believe developing a single shard sandbox MMO puts a company in an extremely unique position, relative to others in the gaming industry. Wondering how much of that experience will transfer here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ater Omen said:

Why did you choose Pann as a name? Is it a reference to something?

It's a twist on Peter Pan. "Hook" is my favorite movie, and Robin Williams is my favorite Peter Pan. I wasn't able to use "Pan" for my UO volunteer name because we had to be logged into IRC while we were on shift and the name was already taken there. So, I tacked on the extra "n" and that was that. 

 

12 hours ago, Olmeca_Gold said:

Are there other ex-CCP'ers in NQ? Particularly early-CCP'ers at the design side. The very idea of that game was a big leap in gaming and MMOs. I believe developing a single shard sandbox MMO puts a company in an extremely unique position, relative to others in the gaming industry. Wondering how much of that experience will transfer here.

After so many years since EVE began, I think it's increasingly likely to find at least one ex-CCPer in some capacity on most projects. The video game industry is relatively small, with less than six degrees of separation. What I've found over the years is that even if we're working on games that are directly competing with each other, there's still a basic sense of comradery. We cheer for each others' successes, we genuinely feel bad when a game is cancelled or sunsetted because we have friends that work on it, and we are careful who we smacktalk because you never know who knows who. heh

The guy who wrote the EVE backstory and a lot (all?) of the early fiction was on the DU team for a bit, and there's someone on the Support team who worked at CCP also. Funny thing about the latter is that we met at a convention shortly before I left CCP, though he didn't join that team until sometime after I left. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

Hi Pann. Welcome.

 

What does ICYMI mean?

In case you missed it :)


@NQ-PannHeya,

As UO/AC/DAOC/Eve (2004 acc) player when i see this names i press like :) Welcome and enjoy the show! :D

Ive 1st heard of DU August 2016 and i was pretty much scared on what NQ was trying to acomplish. 4 years later here we are, with me 90 days in beta and kicking in like there is no tomorrow :D I cant wait to see what 2021 brings with such awesome Devs and CMs in the team.

o/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...