DarkHorizon

Eyes & Ears - Search and Rescue

Weekly Update - December 16th

Four rescues were made during the past test, that makes 31 rescues for Alpha 2 and 45 overall.

----------

@maxamized started out strong and notched his first rescue early Friday morning by running some scrap out to @Reaper07 on Alioth.

@Dr Rhubarb also scored their first rescue after 283 days in the organization. A lack of being in the right place at the right time both in-game and in real life made his first rescue so elusive. Nonetheless, he was able to aid @Context with what our logs say is a "full ship repair". Not sure how big, but I hope the service was appreciated!

Haunty came to @Erquilenne's aid on Sicari with a resupply of fuel on Sicari.

Finally, maxamized rounded out the rescues this period with another fuel run to @TheMaGoth on Alioth.

The first three rescues were notably in a span of only six hours, more or less with me being totally stuck at work thanks to a change in scheduling. I will say that I was quite happy to turn up during my lunch hour to see the team had handled themselves well during my absence. While this is more or less all individual work, I hope that this is a trend that can continue into the future as the organization and team grows and develops.

----------

This is another short and frank update since it's late in the day for me and I wasn't able to attend testing over the weekend due to some conflicts between my old and new hardware (think it's RAM), hopefully that will be resolved soon though!

That's all for now, until next time, fly safe everyone!

- DarkHorizon

50 Rescues - Weekly Update - December 30th - 2019

8 rescues were made over the past eleven days since holiday testing began on the 19th. That makes 39 rescues since Alpha 2 started, and 53 rescues since Alpha 1.

QXTVgc.jpg

We hit our late goal of rounding out 2019 with 50 recorded rescues which, in my opinion, is pretty darn incredible. We're only a small team of do-gooders helping people out in the testing phase. Having come this far off of people getting stuck out in deep space, burning up on re-entry (haven't had a lot of these rescues surprisingly), or simply being re-spawned somewhere they shouldn't have and needing a lift to more familiar territory.

For the most part, these random or unexpected accidents are just a small start. I think after PVP comes out we'll be seeing a lot more requests for assistance. Don't worry folks, we'll be there.  ;)

----------

As for rescues, @Armedwithwings was our first rescue of the test by Haunty with a simple pickup on Alioth and a return to their base and a lock on rescue 46.

I would take care of rescues 47 and 48.  A recently placed structure at a NQ designated respawn point proved useful when @ilodev sent out a call for help. I flew over and we were just about to take off again when @RJ respawned as well. After hearing their stories about how they were both doing their respective thing before a bug got in the way of their activities and respawned them, I dropped both off at their desired points on Alioth. Rok would pick up @Brahmnz the very next day at the same spot.

Ardes provided @BaileyVandenbroek with some fuel and building advice. No doubt it proved useful and scored rescue 50.

On Christmas day Ardes would meet up with @Jack_Blade who crashed underwater. Sounds like someones soft water landing didn't go as expected, luckily Christmas miracles do come true.

While on Symeon, Rok assisted @vihalvor with a repair and rescue 52.

Finally, rescue 53 happened out in space near Symeon where Rok supplied @Protius with some fuel and netted rescue 53.

---------

No major updates on my end. My new hardware didn't exactly play nice in the days after the previous update. Without boring you with the detail, everything culminated in the corruption of about 2 terabytes worth of video recordings I've done of my testing since alpha 1. I'm recovering what I can but I'll just try and be positive and think it no big loss.

- DarkHorizon

1 hour ago, DarkHorizon said:

On Christmas day Ardes would meet up with @Jack_Blade who crashed underwater. Sounds like someones soft water landing didn't go as expected, luckily Christmas miracles do come true.

Saved my ass, excellent services, quick response and great rescue pilot in Ardes, 10/10 would crash again just for the quality treatment!

6 hours ago, Waffle Boy said:

Are you guys hiring?

Yes, as a matter of fact we're always hiring. If you're looking to join, feel free to scroll through the positions we have currently available, then both fill out the google forum in the description tab on the community site, and submit an application.  :)

Weekly Update - January 13th - 2020

Three rescues were made this test, that's 42 rescues for Alpha 2 and 56 rescues overall.

----------

On Friday evening I had heard a distress call from @Driktheviking who, for real life reasons, ran out of fuel on their trip to Sinnen. Lucky for them, I was active on the DU Discord and saw their message. While I hadn't decided to participate in the test (sacrilege, I know!) due to other DU related activities, this proved to be just the push needed. With the rest of the team either offline, not responding, or not as close as I was, I decided to set out with fuel on hand. Having gone to bed earlier in Europe, and nearing Midnight in middle America, I flew the entire way and refueled Dirk's tanks before retiring myself for the night, and considered rescue 54 a lock.

Rescue 55 proved a bit interesting where various problems had presented themselves throughout the process.

Respawning the day after at the north pole of Alioth, @Melvin requested a rescue to return him to one of his constructs floating up in space. Since this construct was still whiten Alioths gravity, this presented a minor technical problem which required a retrofitting of the rescue craft being used thanks to me committing a mathematical rounding error. We landed back at base to refit and this is where problems started occurring. I won't go into any detail about these issues in particular, but it was enough for Melvin to summon a squad-mate of theirs to pick them up.

After a bit of bug testing by all three of us, I had a small list of things to submit to support by the tests end.

Haunty set out from Alioth to assist @Develon who ended up stuck in space a little over 100 SU from Alioth. Their refueling wrapped up rescue 56.

----------

Minor progress was made on the fuel transporter this go around, alpha 3 being most of the reasoning but my lack of creativity the other. Both side rows of fuel tanks have been removed since I don't yet know how I want to integrate those into the construct. The more I think about it the more I'm considering splitting this construct up into a handful of different types.

The smallest variant retains only the bridge and top level small construct bay. It's purpose simply being the transport of the smaller construct and a minor contingent of crew.

The second variant, which I have currently reverted to, is a compressed version of the fuel transport I initially intended to design. Capable of carrying half the fuel of the extended version, this is a lighter dual purpose craft made to serve multiple light to a single medium craft. Since this variant still features the small construct bay up top, an alternate will also be created which either removes this bay outright (and henceforth becomes the first outlined variant above), or serves as additional fuel storage.

The expanded version I initially intended to create, again, doubles the fuel storage of the compacted variant and is intended to serve small fleets or a light warship.

I think further major work will be put on hold until Alpha 3 comes out, which I'm being led to believe shouldn't be long now.

For the time being, all that's really being done is adding elements, I'm fairly content with the hull design as is and don't anticipate too many changes going forward for now. The bridge looks plain yet modest, all it needs now is coloring, a bit of fancy Lua and some more buttons to press, a lot more!

Now, if I was allowed to publicly say what I thought the future held, this would probably be a bit longer, but since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to discuss such, I'll just leave it off the table until then. You'll probably get further details news once more Alpha 3 news is publicly available.

----------

- DarkHorizon

How you plan to react when 1st wave of new players will go to space at 1st time during official game release? For lots of guys something will go wrong at pretty much same time. E and E will likely be competrly overhelmed by those massed sos signals.

1 hour ago, le_souriceau said:

How you plan to react when 1st wave of new players will go to space at 1st time during official game release? For lots of guys something will go wrong at pretty much same time. E and E will likely be competrly overhelmed by those massed sos signals.

Thanks for the question, indeed, that's very much a scenario that twenty people may not be able to take on in a timely manner. If it ever got that bad then we would more than likely reach out to our affiliates who are working with us to see if they can lend a direct hand in an unofficial logistical capacity. If such can't be achieved, then we'd stagger our resources with community assistance and assign unique IOU's to non-members that assist us which we will seek to return at the next available opportunity should they request it. Why we choose this option is to negate the need to return to restock on supplies (if possible) if we run out in our on-board storage. Not only does it allow for more timely assistance, but it also gets more people involved in a community directed force for the benefit of all.

If worse really does come to worst and the outside assistance gets no outside assistance of its own, then people will simply need to wait. Since our objective is to get people up and running to a satisfactory degree so they can get someplace where they can properly repair themselves (especially for the larger vessels), we can't do that without the proper supplies, so why bother showing up empty handed? I hate telling people to hurry up and wait, but many will quickly come to realize that patience is a virtue.

Of course, I fully expect more people to be interested in joining this team between now and the next year and a ~half when release comes, so having more hands on deck will most certainly lighten the individual load we all feel. Twenty people is already a fair lot of people in my mind, but when you consider the fact that organizations will probably be the first major wave that goes up and that they'll be looking after their own while the lone stragglers come up a fair bit later. By then I'm confident that Eyes & Ears will have the required infrastructure in place to handle the volume in a reasonable manner.

---------

Oh, and for those of you wondering where the updates have been. I haven't been feeling the desire to report on three hour tests and have instead opted to wait for more lengthy tests before bringing you all up to speed again. You won't be waiting long, this upcoming test is slated for 96 hours so an update will be coming sooner than you think!