NQ Hates Safe zone asteroid miners!

Eviltek2099

I haven't posted a lot here but I feel the need to vent!
 It is nearly impossible to get valuable ores off of safe zone asteroids now due to the 20 or more players on each roid competing for the resources.

Only way to get them is to wait for one to NEWLY pop up in RUMOURED and be quick about getting there. NQ turned this into a waiting game followed by a race to the rock! Popping out one roid every hour is NOT a good way to limit ore. Please reconsider this change. It would be much better if 5 to 10 were released at a time so that it would thin the heard!
This is not fun and I have lost the will to even play. 

NQ is again demonstrating a fundamental misunderstanding of player psychology. You can't force people into PVP zones when they don't have the tools to make a proper evaluation of the risks and rewards. People will always try to minimize their risk and maximize the reward, but PVP is such a black box for most players that few are willing to risk what is probably the only mining ship they have against a threat they don't understand for a potential reward they cannot estimate. Why would someone go out solo in a ship that is probably completely helpless against pirates, spend up to an hour hunting down an asteroid only to find that the aforementioned pirates have been waiting there to pick them off the moment they get within range? What are the odds of that happening? I don't know! That's the whole point! I don't have enough information to calculate the risks or the rewards and the cost of a miscalculation is my whole ship being destroyed in an instant.

A basic asteroid in the safe zone might not make you rich, but it won't cost you your new ship unless you're a bad pilot. I'm aware that there are tricks players use (which I will not describe here) to find asteroids without quite as much risk. However, pirates will eventually adapt to that and once they do, the only rational choice players will be able to make is to join an org with mining ops well protected enough to run off or destroy any pirates that come by. Before long, large orgs will have it so that they're in a PVP zone but are at no risk of actual PVP (losses anyway) while small orgs and solo players are largely stuck sucking overcrowded rocks in horrific lag for what will soon become a chump change reward until they finally get sick of it and either join a larger org or quit entirely.

And don't get me wrong: large, organized orgs were always going to get access to the best content anyway, but joining up with them shouldn't be the ONLY way to do it; not in a game that's advertised as allowing people to play however they want.

Edited by Devilish

4 hours ago, eviltek2099 said:

ok, Just tried and after mining a hour We got found and lost the ship! It was a mugging! NOT PVP just a drive by taking of my ship! 

Join an org.  Or an alliance.  Plenty of ways around this.

I went today to safe zone roids and got plenty of ore still.

Honvik

Leader of the Imperial Dominion 

5 hours ago, eviltek2099 said:

ok, Just tried and after mining a hour We got found and lost the ship! It was a mugging! NOT PVP just a drive by taking of my ship! 

Wait, this is possible? In the PVP zone you can just walk up and take someone's ship even without rights? (I assume only if it's unboarded and unpiloted) Cause if so my desire to wander into PVP space just went up significantly 😉

5 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

It's pretty clear that the design purpose of asteroid mining is to force us to be undefended targets for the griefers - or call them gankers if you like. Useless wastes of air, IAC.

Of course NQ wants to discourage sz mining.

Defend yourselves

1 hour ago, Aaron Cain said:

well, there simply is no reason to pvp so there was one created with not so much imagination. Just dont go asteroids at all, they killed planetary mining for it.

They killed planetary mining to save their servers. Asteroid mining is just the dregs of that system tossed back in with some additional "Good for PvP" sauce and reheated.

And planetary mining killed their servers because of deep flaws in the game/server mesh architecture that will continue to hinder the development of the game.

11 hours ago, eviltek2099 said:

*facepalm*

There are 'game mechancis' that you need to consider:

#1 If you want high value minerals in pvp space, you don't stay for an hour unless you're heavily armed!

#2 Maybe see if there is some sort of frequency for asteroids mining in save space...

#3 Be already in place relatively close by when that happens, in a fast ship...

#4 Quickly get the higher value ore, take the time with T1 ore in save space...

#5 There's a LOT of T1 ore in save space asteroids, if you mine that, sell it, you can buy higher Tech ore from the market...

Stop expecting NQ to make a game just for you, they are making a game that (they think) appeals to different kinds of people. Learn how the mechanics work, and play with those!

I'm not into pvp myself, but the potential that it is there is what attracted me to DU (and EVE). During beta I spend a LOT of time between planets in pvp space and getting that working correctly is it's own challenge to figure out and I like that puzzle.

On 10/15/2022 at 1:59 AM, eviltek2099 said:

You where mining an hour(!) in PvP space.

Go into dangerous space. Don't care about the risks. Take no precautions (like bring back stuff to break even). Get killed.

Seems like logical gameplay to me.

22 hours ago, Shredder said:

Defend yourselves

You obviously have never done PVP in DU. No ship loaded with ore can defend itself. Now that we have mass based speed limits, I doubt a loaded ship can even escape, even with a superior pilot and a good starting position.

22 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

You obviously have never done PVP in DU. No ship loaded with ore can defend itself. Now that we have mass based speed limits, I doubt a loaded ship can even escape, even with a superior pilot and a good starting position.

Sure you can. You need longer range weapons. If a S core PvP ship is attacking your M core hauler, you can out range them with M Railguns. A single ganking ship is only going to take out unprepared haulers.

On 10/16/2022 at 5:30 AM, Daphne Jones said:

I’ve don’t a huge amount of pvp in DU. If your concern is your mass, then delete the ore. There’s tonnes of ways to defend yourself.

4 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

Or take a wingman. It's the Wild West out there. Upstanding citizens hire bada** gunslingers to deal with bandits.

Or stay on your farm in the East and have no need to worry about armed brigandage.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:39 PM, Daphne Jones said:

It's pretty clear that the design purpose of asteroid mining is to force us to be undefended targets for the griefers - or call them gankers if you like. Useless wastes of air, IAC.

Of course NQ wants to discourage sz mining.

Gotta risk for the bisque.

I don't think we really want unlimited amounts of safezone ore flooding into the game from asteroids do we?  At some point the ore has to 'run out' to give the economy value.  Otherwise we're back to 'mining to bot orders' because so much ore is being generated that the price would drop to almost nothing if the bots didn't consume it.

This is a game we're playing isn't it and games are supposed to have some sort of challenges to overcome.  Unlimited safezone mining (or at least enough that everyone can find and mine stuff all the time) is not really a challenge at all.  NPCs would provide a challenge, but the premise of this particular game has always been that other players will provide the challenge.  If people don't want to fight other players in the PvP zone then how else is there going to be a challenge other than racing for limited resources against other players?  And clearly some players are embracing this and doing it.  There are some great comments in here giving advice on how to compete better.

A question NQ needs to answer, though, is what are they replacing the casual planet mining loop with?  Sometimes people just want to log in and play for an hour.  Mining on asteroids isn't going to be available to them.  Previously a lot of people would have done planet mining at that point.  Perhaps cut a chunk out of the meganode they're working on or just go out into unclaimed territory somewhere and dig.  There does seem to be a void here where certain types of player have nothing to do.