Jump to content
Cainon

Resources

Recommended Posts

I would like to know if there is going to be a plan for respawning resources on planets? As I can see once the game goes live I see half the planet disappearing from mining and someone who joins the game late will not have a chance of starting and will have to try to hitch hike. The one mistake space engineers did not put into their maps although smaller game someone joining the game late had no chance as their was no resources left on the home planet. (Hope you got sexy legs for hitch hiking). 

 

Other than that please have two sides starting on two different planets at war it will give those who want to fight a fight and those who want to explore to get away from the front line, have a chance to explore and build without worrying about the Putin's, Hitler's and the Telly Tubbies of the game.  (Do not trust those Telly Tubbies).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Cainon said:

I would like to know if there is going to be a plan for respawning resources on planets? As I can see once the game goes live I see half the planet disappearing from mining and someone who joins the game late will not have a chance of starting and will have to try to hitch hike. The one mistake space engineers did not put into their maps although smaller game someone joining the game late had no chance as their was no resources left on the home planet. (Hope you got sexy legs for hitch hiking). 

there are no current plans for regenerating resources. Planets are huge too - Alioth has a diameter of 60km, others may have more too. There should be enough ore for everyone

 

53 minutes ago, Cainon said:

Other than that please have two sides starting on two different planets at war it will give those who want to fight a fight and those who want to explore to get away from the front line, have a chance to explore and build without worrying about the Putin's, Hitler's and the Telly Tubbies of the game.  (Do not trust those Telly Tubbies).

There's one arkship where everyone will spawn which is protected by an ASA (https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/01/30/our-toughts-on-territory-protection-mechanics/)

That zone is huge in itself and will provide basic resources. If you want to get away from there, then you should be able to - as already said, planets are huge.

 

Also to note (as you can look up in that blog), every territory not in ASA/MSA will be UA - and everybody may attack you there (in UA). You can claim a tile there too and secure it with a protection bubble (which is an idea at the moment) which gives you a 48h timer to prepare your defenses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not expect the planets to be mined out per say. But I do expect the starting city to soon look like a giant valley similar to that of a rock quarry. The devs have stated that some mineral veins are multiple kilometers long as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players that come to the game at a later stage (once the game actually gets going) will also find materials much more readily available on markets and can find opportunities working for more established players initially. It's not unlikely IMO that after some time there really is no need to go mining to get started at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All you need is DIGGING DEEPER so you wont have to hiking xD.

 

But seriously the planet is big (it has been bigger to 4 time since it in pre-alpha and it still huge back then ) so i doubt you will have to hiking to further away. But dont worry at the latter game when player venture to other system there might be another Ark Ship in another system and once it got discover it will be come a new addition spawn point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60km? That's really tiny for a planet. I think planets will get mined out pretty quickly. We'll have to abandon Alioth and move on. Just like real humans... Wipe out the environment and move to a new place. Good simulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offence to anyone as depending on how many play the game the planet will never be big enough for the starting planet. Two if you have ever played Starbourne, Astro Empires or any game similar you know if other players are stronger than you they will attack because they can. Normally straight after the 7 day protection they hit you. It will be no different here. I know you have a shield for protection but they will find a way.

 

 Will 5000 in game dollars be enough to buy a long rang explorer ship? Again I doubt it. soon as you leave the planet someone blows your ship up. There goes 5000 dollars. People love fighting each other also enjoy big battles having two sides gives them that chance and a common cause to work together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exact quote from J.C. Ballie "For Alioth which is 65km in radius, you can gather a team of 1000 players, working 8 hours a day nonstop weekend included, and it would take you 19 years to get 1% of the planet" Source: Nation Fusion Youtube - J.C. Ballie Interview timestap: 33:44

 

Also he mentions it would take 5 hours to dig to the core of the planet. Its also been calculated by players, and confirmed by Novaquark it would take a little over 10 hours real time, to run around the entire planet. An Alioth had over 50,000 territories that could be claimed.

 

Oh, an all of that was before Novaquark announced they made the planet Allioth 4 times bigger. Source: Alioth size change.

 

So if you consider that tiny, then more power to you buddy lol. I'm sure they will put you're name in the Alioth book of world records when you complete that tiny 40 hour run around Alioth. :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cainon said:

I know you have a shield for protection but they will find a way.

I wonder what shield are you talking. If on ship yes it cant protect u forever . Bubble shield the same but it give you time to prepare the offensive.

 

And of course no planet can support entire the game lifespan so NQ already said you can discover new Ark Ship in other system then it will be come new addition spawn point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, supermega said:

Exact quote from J.C. Ballie "For Alioth which is 65km in radius, you can gather a team of 1000 players, working 8 hours a day nonstop weekend included, and it would take you 19 years to get 1% of the planet" Source: Nation Fusion Youtube - J.C. Ballie Interview timestap: 33:44

 

Also he mentions it would take 5 hours to dig to the core of the planet. Its also been calculated by players, and confirmed by Novaquark it would take a little over 10 hours real time, to run around the entire planet. An Alioth had over 50,000 territories that could be claimed.

 

Oh, an all of that was before Novaquark announced they made the planet Allioth 4 times bigger. Source: Alioth size change.

 

So if you consider that tiny, then more power to you buddy lol. I'm sure they will put you're name in the Alioth book of world records when you complete that tiny 40 hour run around Alioth. :)

 

 

Why stop there? NQ could probably duplicate Alioth and modify it a bit to create a twin-sister planet in the same system; or if there's really that many players, add another system with Arkship 2, perhaps call this one "Eveship" (lol then the naming game circle would be "complete" ? ). They don't seem to have a great difficulty with  some of things that used to be immense work loads in MMO development eg entire new zones/maps etc. Procedural generation is immense with respect to creating enormous 3D spheroid planets.

 

That said @Cainon puts it most Ably (lol) ? with respect to the prodigious effect of players that's possible and usually catches devs off guard.

 

But that all said, the biggest danger is not the above, it's an empty large world. So to begin with, 1 solar system will be enough space to keep the population density conducive to creating the "network effect".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NQ has already said as much in that they shared that following release their goal towards the first expansion would be to open up ways into a new solar system. Also the seeds for this expansion will be planted in the game (at release) to build a storyline towards that goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corvus tells some great points.

You can travel the planet's 60km circumference in less than 15 minutes with just ordinary airplane speeds.

You can create high-powered ore detectors that will strip a planet of all its natural resources in a short amount of time.

 

But let's face it, DU wants to mimic reality a bit. We will create massive farms for renewable resources such as bioplastics and mine asteroids for resources instead, and organizations will protect the land's natural beauty or do massive terraforming projects that will be heavily defended. Until DU adds these mechanics inevitably, there will be resource problems.

 

But hey, it's just an alpha.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There can always be more planets. Let's say the game becomes super popular and the starting planet does run dry in the first 5-10 years. If there are 4-5 other planets, resources should be fine for the lifetime of the game. I do not know how big SE maps are but I suspect DU will be much larger in scope.

 

What this will create is a realistic market. Let's say something like Gold for instance, is really valuable and everyone mines it up real quick. Now you need to travel somewhere else, new industries will be made (Some people's idea of success in a game is how much money you have so...), the resource becomes more valuable. 

 

I doubt the large factions will be aggro nor tolerate being committed towards most players. This game will be more realistic than most games because the ramifications of having this level of realism are that it will inevitably result in social paradigms more closely resembling real life than past games. A strong economy will be paramount for any large factions ability to wage a large scale war. This will prompt civil policing actions to mitigate the economic risk of malevolent preying on merchants, bystanders and everyone else. Business will go where the business feels safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see people keep saying that the planet is huge and we won't have to worry about resource depletion. 

 

But the amount of ore in a meaningful concentration that can be economically reached and refined is far less than the amount of matter that the planet contains. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 0something0 said:

I see people keep saying that the planet is huge and we won't have to worry about resource depletion. 

 

But the amount of ore in a meaningful concentration that can be economically reached and refined is far less than the amount of matter that the planet contains. 

Yes so somthing I would love for NQ to caculate is how fast can people mine the ores not just the whole mass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, unown006 said:

Yes so somthing I would love for NQ to caculate is how fast can people mine the ores not just the whole mass

They did and it would take a looooooong time. Oh and those calculations were done before the planet got 4x larger

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blazemonger said:

They did and it would take a looooooong time. Oh and those calculations were done before the planet got 4x larger

 

I thought those were for the entire planet not just the ore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear all, and Dear NQ,

 

I agree with some of the posts here that state that it will take ages to mine out all the resources and the example which is given is Alioth.

 

I have been playing a couple of weeks now and we are a small group of 5 people trying to make our way through. In terms of resources we have met a major frustration currently. We have been trying to get some more rare resources, like for example Gold or other T4 or T5 resources within the reach of new players. We have identified Madis M2 for our target and it was a real adventure to get there and to land but an utter frustration once we starting mining and scanning. This Rock (too small to call it a moon) seems completely empty of anything else than T1 Resource's. So as such this Moon has become completely useless in terms of gameplay as there is no obvious reason why you would be mining T1 resources which are quite abundant in the whole solar system including Alioth. So this was a complete evening of gameplay with no outcome fun to start with but ended with frustration.

 

So our next target was Alioth Moon 2 to try and find some Rohdonite and here we have been digging for 2 hours long straight through the planet while another member of the team ran multiple scans. So that were 4 people digging and one scanning with no result whatsoever. We only found T1 resources. Another evening of fun ending with frustration.

 

I have seen many players with the 3 scanner method to scan 3 hexes at the same time only to find the high value resources. So if players are only targeting those, they are going to be mined away in no time and I have the impression they already have been mined away, at least in the pvp-free zone.

 

So my conclusion on this is:

 

1) Yes it will take years to mine all the resources but only if you talk about ALL the resources

2) The rare resources (T3-T5) seem to have been completely mined away already by the players which have been playing over the last years. So as such some moons have become useless to the gameplay.

3) For newcomers in the game there is no other option that to go into the PVP zone and try to grab some interesting spots for ressources

 

In a nutshell the system seems to me to be to small to support already today the number of players.

 

So the only current way to get the better resources is to buy them on the market at a quite high price while selling off cheaper resources at a quite low price.

The concern with this is that a small group of people do not seem to be able to play that game on the long run.

The joining of a larger corporation does not seem to be an option but an obligation if you want to be able to see all the aspects of the game.

 

Fundamentally I would have preferred the game mechanics where for example all resources are available in the PVP-free zone but at a quite lower rate, permanently available, while going out in the more dangerous zone would bring a large opportunity linked to the risk,.

 

I know there is a lot of speculation out there about what NQ will be doing with ressources, but I am playing right now and starting to feel the frustration of hours long playing and travelling with no result because some planets definately seem to have been completely mined out. And as an example I defy you to find Gold in the safe zone other than buy it on the market.

 

So I would really appreciate some kind of official feedback on the issue of ressources as it seems key in the game right now and already leads to frustration of new players within 3-4 weeks of intense gameplay.

 

Kind regards,

Ochiniwa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ochiniwa said:

So I would really appreciate some kind of official feedback on the issue of ressources as it seems key in the game right now and already leads to frustration of new players within 3-4 weeks of intense gameplay.

While you may catch CM eye witch such post, chances are slim.

 

Its true, that game has some very flawed disigns. NQ intention to make better enviroment for new players (setting things more easy and peaceful) actualy rigged things even more in favor of old, experienced and sometime "no life" players (playing from -1 week), they agressivly digged a lot of stuff with nothing holding them back.

 

Yet,  realistic way of action, as I see it (from my humble experience):

 

1) FORGET about SZ planets (and especialy -- moons) as sources for anything more then T2, may be T3 sometimes (like garnierite and pyrite still can be found on Madis and Thades).

2) Don't be afraid too much of "PvP" planets, slowboating done right is statisticaly almost safe, warping (when you can afford it) -- safe.

3) Be mathematical (not emotional) with trading/time resource. Sometime its actualy MUCH more efficient to mine X amount of lower tiers ore and sell it and buy what you need, then fly somewhere, scan and dig per example T5 yourself (especialy if you not need that much of it).

 

Stay optimistic. Devs definitly gonna adress it some way pretty soon, question obviously, how effective (or cringly failing) it will be.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ochiniwa said:

1) Yes it will take years to mine all the resources but only if you talk about ALL the resources

2) The rare resources (T3-T5) seem to have been completely mined away already by the players which have been playing over the last years. So as such some moons have become useless to the gameplay.

3) For newcomers in the game there is no other option that to go into the PVP zone and try to grab some interesting spots for ressources

 

The only resource you need to make warp which is not present in safe zone currently is petalite. Buy it on the market? 70h per liter last time i checked. You don't need much of it. Than you have warp capability and you don't care if planet is in or out of safe zone. 
 

16 minutes ago, carijay766 said:

You didn't play the game before release and now all high tier ores are gone?Clearly your fault. 

If he doesn't want to use market IT IS his fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Elrood said:

The only resource you need to make warp which is not present in safe zone currently is petalite.

Well, not exactly true, because while silver present technicaly, its hard to find it in SZ, and % go slimmer every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...