Jump to content

SHEDDING LIGHT ON A NOVAQUARK INTERNAL DISCUSSION - discussion thread


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, blazemonger said:

  

A wipe is a wipe, you'll have to start over, build up and earn enough to buy the ships again.

Am I the only one looking forward to a fresh progression? I have billions in assets and Im incredibly bored with just chasing the market prices as they fall. The game is imbalanced, and a wipe is the best move, followed up by a rebalance of PvE, which if schematics are gone then everything needs to take at least 30% more ore and time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't paid a dime for my main account so... whatever, I guess. I did pay for my second account though, specifically to earn skill points.

 

I'd drop the second account if she lost her points, but I'd keep playing with the wiped alpha account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2022 at 5:50 AM, space_man said:

Am I the only one looking forward to a fresh progression? I have billions in assets and Im incredibly bored with just chasing the market prices as they fall. The game is imbalanced, and a wipe is the best move, followed up by a rebalance of PvE, which if schematics are gone then everything needs to take at least 30% more ore and time.

 

I look forward to a completely fresh progression, because I am emotionally detached from everything I have. Especially since so many of my previous designs were ruined by updates, despite the fact I didn't abuse the game I just hid elements cause I hate how fugly they are.

Nothing at this point really has value anymore with a dead community, and it makes it far too depressing to play at this point and time. I am also still very sour over the fact that weeks and months roll on and we still have no deadline for wipe and no better details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, this post has been here for 2 months, and I just returned to the game...

 

I already had to rebuild everything after the first (alpha) wipe. If I get back up to speed and a month from now you wipe everything again I most likely won't come back a 3rd time...

 

Either do a wipe SOON or don't, but stop stalling with this BS.

Because the longer you wait, more and more people will stop playing expecting the wipe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Chrius said:

So, this post has been here for 2 months, and I just returned to the game...

 

I already had to rebuild everything after the first (alpha) wipe. If I get back up to speed and a month from now you wipe everything again I most likely won't come back a 3rd time...

 

Either do a wipe SOON or don't, but stop stalling with this BS.

Because the longer you wait, more and more people will stop playing expecting the wipe.

 

Well.. for sure I wouldn't start again until after they wipe.  They have pretty much stated they will do one, its only a question of what will remain:  Blueprints for sure - everything else is in the wind - including WHEN they will announce/perform the wipe.

 

But your sentiments are dead on.  The longer they wait, the more time goes by for some other game, like Starfield, to come onto the playing field.  Others, like Planet Crafter, are already there - but are currently limited play time games, so not so much of a threat.

 

Personally, I tend to focus on one game at a time, and am awaiting Starfield, Crimson Desert, and Fractured Veil (along with updates for Planet Crafter).  Dual Universe gets added back onto the list the day of the wipe - wither its first or not on that list will depend on their timing.  Until one of the above happens, I'll be playing V-Rising (or maybe yet another round of Rimworld!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, space_man said:

42 pages and still don't know much about the wipe. Sad. Just sad.

 

It is sad. It also makes very little sense to me. They're sabotaging their own PR and it's bizarre -- whatever damage they believe would come from announcing a wipe is minuscule compared to the lack of engagement on this topic breeding wide discontent and mistrust (not to mention bad reviews). 

 

NQ's had a reputation for not engaging the community for a long time now....which is a choice they've made, many times over many years.

 

They don't think players have much to offer -- they think we're "know-it-alls" with too many opinions that don't understand how hard their jobs are. It's easy to take criticism personally, but professional companies know how to push those personal feelings aside and process customer feedback to improve their product. 

 

Their inability to process feedback or engage with their own customers is really obvious in the state of their product today. Painfully obvious.

 

Players on release will boot this up and believe that it is fresh from a tiny dev team, not that they've spent 6+ years in dev and 2 years in beta. 

 

NQ shouldn't be shocked if the game gets bad reviews as soon as release drops...it may be the only way this company finally cares about customer engagement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What IMO is sad is that NQ seems to think that not being honest and upfront about what seems blatantly obvious is a good idea.

 

Since not acknowledging a no wipe is even worse and would make absolutely no sense whatsoever, keeping quiet on the fact the wipe is happening is just.. trying to remain as generic as possible here ..very silly at this point.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. So are we there yet?
2. How are the ongoing discussions going? 
3. How many hours a week do you spend discussing this topic?
4. What % of development effort is spent deciding on wipe vs. doing other tasks to prep for launch?
5. Will these questions be excluded from ask aphelia because they are related to wipe? Which you refuse to discuss in your podcast?
6. Do you have an date set for wipe yet?
7. If not an wipe date an you give us a list definitive of what will and won't be wiped?
8. Will you wipe again after launch, if the problems that lead to this wipe re-occur?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point my patience with NQ is gone. I played for over a year and a half, then they talked about the wipe. I went into maintenance mode and only logged in once a week to calibrate and pay taxes. And then I began to dread logging in to do even that. The only thing that pushed me to continue was the remote chance that my hard work wouldn’t be deleted or stolen. I waited and waited for this company to decide whether or not they would wipe their game. And now I don’t care anymore. But I’ve learned a few things in all of this. 
 

NQ isn’t professional and doesn’t care about their player base. And I don’t believe this company deserves any more of my money. 

Edited by Nosomu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Nosomu said:

NQ isn’t professional and doesn’t care about their player base. And I don’t believe this company deserves any more of my money. 

 

What's especially "unconventional" in my opinion is the drive to both work on performance fixes and bugs and continue to push new features in advance of release. 

 

As anyone that's worked on software at scale knows, these two concepts work against each other...

 

Every feature change can have vast, unintended consequences on performance and will spawn numerous new bugs. 

 

Bugs tend to be magnified on release when more players storm the game...minor flaws become major ones if the game scales.

 

I'd argue that beta pops are so low right now, they have no meaningful data on how the game will perform once live. 

 

This speaks to "unprofessional" because this is basic software engineering standards. Granted, I don't know their release timetable; maybe they have plenty of time before release and don't need a feature lock yet...

 

But I highly doubt they do real load tests, and without a beta system with meaningful scale, a lot of issues will fly under their radar and ambush them on release. More so if they believe they have enough performance and stability to keep pushing feature changes! 

 

It's almost like this marathon feet-dragging about the wipe has sabotaged their ability to test at the most critical time in their history... 👀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

As anyone that's worked on software at scale knows, these two concepts work against each other...

Nothing new. This is just NQ continuing to behave like NQ always has, and the reason why this game is in the state it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blundertwink said:

 

What's especially "unconventional" in my opinion is the drive to both work on performance fixes and bugs and continue to push new features in advance of release. 

 

As anyone that's worked on software at scale knows, these two concepts work against each other...

 

Every feature change can have vast, unintended consequences on performance and will spawn numerous new bugs. 

 

Bugs tend to be magnified on release when more players storm the game...minor flaws become major ones if the game scales.

 

I'd argue that beta pops are so low right now, they have no meaningful data on how the game will perform once live. 

 

This speaks to "unprofessional" because this is basic software engineering standards. Granted, I don't know their release timetable; maybe they have plenty of time before release and don't need a feature lock yet...

 

But I highly doubt they do real load tests, and without a beta system with meaningful scale, a lot of issues will fly under their radar and ambush them on release. More so if they believe they have enough performance and stability to keep pushing feature changes! 

 

It's almost like this marathon feet-dragging about the wipe has sabotaged their ability to test at the most critical time in their history... 👀

 

This is a classic management error - suspect they have a bunch of really talented creative people who refuse to stop creating and insist on "doing their job".  Debugging is someone (lower skilled in their opinion) job to do and they won't  have anything to do with it.  Its a management error because management won't stand up to them - their friends, not employees.  

 

I'm presuming they are not stupid enough to be pushing new features, like the non-player driven marketplace, as window dressing for their other failures, like not being able to come to a wipe decision.

 

This may well be complicated by severe financial pressure - e.g. developers working for stock instead of cash where management has to coddle them or lose them with little chance of replacements being found.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

YOU NEED TO LET US KEEP OUR TALENT POINTS!!!!

 

    Your charging us a monthly fee and you have a passive training system meaning your charging us real money for our talents. As for the rest of the game play, I total understand the tough position your in and will go along and be happy with what ever you decide. However I have been paying  monthly due's on 2 accounts without playing all the time on them just so I can advance my game play into something less boring than the beginning game play.

 

If you do decide to hurt your existing paying customers, maybe think about switching from a passive talent system into a earned one. I actually hate passive system. It's more rewarding to earn things than to just pay for them. But I also know the younger generation don't feel the same. Another tough decision I'm glade you must make and not me.

 

I do like this game but hope you put in some PvE and some risk for rewards mechanics in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Kcing

Unless you are referring to alts you are paying a sub for, as an alpha tester you are not paying a cent, nor do you have any grounds to make this argument. Your access to the game at this stage is a perk, a bonus for effectively pre ordering gametime which only comes into effect after release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

@Kcing

Unless you are referring to alts you are paying a sub for, as an alpha tester you are not paying a cent, nor do you have any grounds to make this argument. Your access to the game at this stage is a perk, a bonus for effectively pre ordering gametime which only comes into effect after release.

 

 

It's a bit more complicated than that. 

 

I will admit that when i bought a supporter pack on kickstarter i obviously didn't expect anything i earned in alpha/beta to carry over into the finished game.  What i thought would happen is that they would wipe, and release the game.  And i would start paying for a subscription and earning talents just like anyone else.

 

But instead, they announced a final wipe, and started selling subscriptions based on a promise that from that point on, if another wipe was required, they would do their best to preserve our progress. 

 

I would have been happy to start paying for a subscription at that point.  I have no idea why we aren't. 

 

I just wanted to play the game.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

It's a bit more complicated than that. 

 

Not really, poster I responded to is a backer and complains about paying money, which is not actually relevan nor true in his case.

 

 

6 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

But instead, they announced a final wipe,

Except, that is not correct. NQ has never announced a "final wipe". all they have done is say that unless they _really_ need to, they will not do another full/global wipe like they did before beta. Fair enough if you want to argue that they di this in their usual vague and "open to different interpretations" style, but it seemd to me that the intent was clear enough.

I also share the opinion I have seen around here more often, that NQ ALWAYS has the intention to do another wipe at release and their "discussion" now is not about IF, but HOW that wipe will happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

@Kcing

Unless you are referring to alts you are paying a sub for, as an alpha tester you are not paying a cent, nor do you have any grounds to make this argument. Your access to the game at this stage is a perk, a bonus for effectively pre ordering gametime which only comes into effect after release.

Yes I'm paying for 2 alts as stated. However what I said also applies to everyone paying a monthly fee, not just me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since the discussion here is meaningless and just gets toxic, can we close this topic?

NQ will not tell us about a wipe anyway in this topic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

Since the discussion here is meaningless and just gets toxic, can we close this topic?

NQ will not tell us about a wipe anyway in this topic

It seems the idea of an official discussion thread eludes you...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Chrius said:

It seems the idea of an official discussion thread eludes you...

 

Although to be fair, it doesn't matter if it's an "official" thread when NQ doesn't participate.

 

At this point, it is only players discussing and NQ has no interest in further updates or communication on this topic. 

 

I don't agree that the thread should be closed, though. If things become toxic, that's on NQ not wanting to manage the community or read posts...and is kind of fitting and inevitable with the state of the game being what it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...