Jump to content

What's the deal with Asteroids NQ?


Recommended Posts

So asteroids will be spawned in space by NQ. To find them you need to sus out clues, probably do some cypher puzzle, and then after a certain time the location is announced by NQ.

Why does NQ need to personally handle this? Is this really emergent gameplay?

 

It'll basically just be like the last event, only with asteroids and in pvp space. Whether or not you need to solve a puzzle for this it'll still be only available to the the most powerful org. If it's done one asteroid at a time, it'll be a complete shitshow.

I myself imagined the implementation of asteroids to be some sort of massive asteroid field in space, an actual geographical location, or locations. Right now there's absolutely nothing in space, and no reason to explore or travel. If there were large asteroid fields, they could be used as for instance, "planets in space", with areas within it likely to be claimed for strategic purposes and such.

Really just feels like a recycled NQ strategy. Failed attempt at populating space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • SpiceRub changed the title to What's the deal with Asteroids NQ?

I imagined something like SC or ED’s implementation of asteroids.  Entire rings around certain planets or massive swathes like in NMS. 
 

instead NQ are going to roll them out one at a time? Surely not?

April 1st is well gone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope we get asteroid fieldS around space that all players can mine in the PVP zone. It will be way riskier than regular mining, but hopefully will have a high reward as well. 

 

If they roll out something like the previous events, it'd be so disappointing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I would like to see is an asteroid zone/zones. Maybe if they wanted to get creative they could put a half exploded planet in the middle of the zone. (Not showing on map until discovered). Make the zone bubble about 50 SU+. Warp is disabled while in the zone because of the asteroids messing with navigation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Physics said:

Maybe if they wanted to get creative they could put a half exploded planet in the middle of the zone. 

Don't be ridiculous, that's far too interesting

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pardon my probably sensible suggestion, you could load each and every asteroid with ore in a large asteroid field. And as usual, make the higher tier ones more rare, and let us have ore scanners on ships. (i know its insane please don't shoot me).

Is it insane to think that there could be an asteroid field with thousands of asteroids? we render planets for crying out loud.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont really get why need a puzzle etc, just spawn asteroids around a planet deep in PvP zone, ( Ion, Symeon etc ) make sure that they are rich on high tier resources, since there is no ship mining etc, sadly there have to be a safe zone around the asteroid so people wont lose their ships while there are inside a hole. But make it small 0.5 SU or so. 

 

Than let the combat begin.... 

 

A hammer is all you need to drive a nail, stop trying to build a nuclear powered, smart hammering solutions. Just spawn some rocks with ores in it, THAT is all we are asking for. No puzzles etc ( because lets face it, last puzzles NQ created was terrible ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah just buy guy who proposing this puzzles all the time some 300 pages sudoku book and incancereate him in toiled cabin with it. Enough of this crap.

 

What we need is physcial (persistant) asteroid belt with some randomization and regen cabability (per exemple by zone updating when there is no players present around) + ore scanner. No warp around in big radius.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

An asteroid puzzle race is just another race to the bottom for this game.

 

It should be obvious that anything puzzle or time based will translate into gain for big org's and the 0.1% of most dedicated players, at the expense of new players and the larger average player base that don't have the time or interest to live and breath DU 24/7.

 

Same with broadcasting asteroid locations. Org's already have the advantage in numbers increasing their chances for finding asteroids worth mining, and now they are also going to be told where to travel to kick out any smaller group of players that worked hard to find a good asteroid?

 

Why does NQ keep making these basic fundamental mistakes over and over again?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Asteroids are a huge opportunity to bring that emergent gameplay to DU that I believe we all want.  Non-aggression pacts between orgs, group organized mining (pilots, miners and scouts working together), and piracy/org vs org conflict all come to mind immediately. 

 

In my opinion, asteroids should address these issues:

  • Alterative to terrestrial mining.
  • A way to gather large amounts of T1 and T2 without meganode hunting; T3+ content may be dependent of that particular asteroid belt spawn.
  • Bring 'civilization' outside of the safe-zone (be it for cooperation or pew-pew)
  • Get some ships destroyed so more ships can be built.  

A few ideas regarding these asteroid fields:

  • I think they should be non-static in nature.  They should spawn in, persist for a few days, then de-spawn (or turn into just rock).  If they continue to spawn in indefinitely, eventually their will be no need to share or contest them.  The also means if one doesn't spawn near your base, the next one might (or might not).  With the proposed mechanic of needing to be scanned down first, this would give those that are scanning a limited head start.
  • Combat ranges need to be evaluated carefully and hopefully mechanics adjusted accordingly.  Depending on the size of the asteroid belt, I'd think a sensor range dampening effect  (that extends well beyond the belt itself) would make both hunters and scouts work harder without allowing those L Railguns to snipe folks from way outside the belt.
  • As @Physics suggested, I like the idea of the belts being dense enough that one can't speed though without colliding with something.  Having the asteroids be large (and huge one's hollow) would be nice as well.
  • Probably not getting this one soon, but requiring guns and missiles to have line of sight to actually hit their target would be great.  Being able to evade that combat ship by keeping an asteroid between you and them would emphasize the pilot's role and give any hollowed out asteroids a tactical value.
  • A mechanic that allows people to communicate or 'hail' another ship would be appreciated. 
  • The idea of having them in the safe zone should really be limited to T1 with limited T2 with the thought being T1 and T2 should be the stepping stones to progress to T3+.  
  • If people are going to be able to live in space, maybe a space Market? (Or player markets if you REALLY love us?)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Icaris said:

I dont really get why need a puzzle etc, just spawn asteroids around a planet deep in PvP zone, ( Ion, Symeon etc ) make sure that they are rich on high tier resources, since there is no ship mining etc, sadly there have to be a safe zone around the asteroid so people wont lose their ships while there are inside a hole. But make it small 0.5 SU or so. 

 

Than let the combat begin.... 

 

A hammer is all you need to drive a nail, stop trying to build a nuclear powered, smart hammering solutions. Just spawn some rocks with ores in it, THAT is all we are asking for. No puzzles etc ( because lets face it, last puzzles NQ created was terrible ) 

No just no.

 

Safezone again ? NO !

 

If you have a safezone there then you can afk mine this "high tier" spot, put your nose out, smell if there is anyone and warp away or wait until there is no one there.

 

OK on what you suggested but no safezones, wanna mine high tier resource ? Drop a xs core with containers and mine there while your friends protect you.

 

Sorry "solo" players, this is an MMO game. Figure it out on your own.

 

NO MORE SAFEZONES

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, XKentX said:

No just no.

 

Safezone again ? NO !

 

If you have a safezone there then you can afk mine this "high tier" spot, put your nose out, smell if there is anyone and warp away or wait until there is no one there.

 

OK on what you suggested but no safezones, wanna mine high tier resource ? Drop a xs core with containers and mine there while your friends protect you.

 

Sorry "solo" players, this is an MMO game. Figure it out on your own.

 

NO MORE SAFEZONES

 

 

I hear your pain, I really do.  But let's be realistic.  Who are you going to pvp right now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Revelcro said:

 

 

I hear your pain, I really do.  But let's be realistic.  Who are you going to pvp right now?

Thats the whole point we're making here. If asteroids were introduced in an actually interesting way itd bring a lot of the pvp population back and give of something to fight over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Revelcro said:

 

 

I hear your pain, I really do.  But let's be realistic.  Who are you going to pvp right now?

I don't even play right now but we are talking future and fixing stuff so let's talk fixing and not just adding asteroids with 0 risk again as that guy proposed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, XKentX said:

I don't even play right now but we are talking future and fixing stuff so let's talk fixing and not just adding asteroids with 0 risk again as that guy proposed.

 

I would guess a decent amount of us poking around with amusement at the forums here have actually stopped playing daily.  Including you and me.  As it is right now i'm not sure "diggy diggy hole in space" would have us screaming back into the game en mass.  Digging and mining was not the greatest fun loop on the ground, in space it would also get old pretty fast.  Especially since the mechanic to do so would not likely change much.

 

They could eliminate the digging portion and just have us find higher tier ore in zones (that you could camp or patrol) as fully ready to be mined ore-roids and miners could risk going into those zones if the reward was high enough to risk whatever ship they made for the job.  But i'm afraid we might be looking at what will essentially be hexes floating in space, possibly even able to be scanned so you can see what is in it.  Amusing at first but long term we would not be able to tell the difference between the "roid" in space and just another hex on a planet.  I guess we will find out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

God no to the puzzles, it's not scaleable, it's boring just no.

Spawn them randomly, add some kind of scanning feature into the game for triangulating and providing a warp point to asteroid, the asteroid should cause warp functionality to be a non starter, there needs to be some risk in the pvp zone otherwise I could just have one person in the ship and another mining on linked container with a warp away at the first sign of trouble.

 

It'd be really nice to have some kind of mining component for a ship that allows you to scan a asteroid and extract the resource to the ship, perhaps the usage of such a module effects radar usage encouraging a more group focussed play in non safe zones.

 

Asteroid fields would be great, make them dense so people can't zoom through them in L cores, might even incentivise the design of s core ships to go into such fields with l core mother ships that take on the ore?

 

in reality the best we can hope for is a hex in space I expect with current mining 'mechanics' ;(


I suspect they don't want to do this kind of thing because they don't want players getting salty when they see a asteroid belt coming up on view when they are heading at 30km, perhaps some sort of module to provide some emergency braking upon detection of a asteroid belt (could provide a good mechanic for pirates to hang out at such areas knowing they act as a way to stop slow-boaters in addition to the obvious score of catching some miners who warp in upon scanning it)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bleakcon said:

I suspect they don't want to do this kind of thing because they don't want players getting salty when they see a asteroid belt coming up on view when they are heading at 30km, perhaps some sort of module to provide some emergency braking upon detection of a asteroid belt (could provide a good mechanic for pirates to hang out at such areas knowing they act as a way to stop slow-boaters in addition to the obvious score of catching some miners who warp in upon scanning it)

Funnily enough if they work like the thades asteroids do then your ship will get slowed instantly to 500 kmh. Ive sped into Thades at 20k+ and the ship just instantly decelerates to 500 once your 200 meters off the surface of an asteroid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Noddles said:

Funnily enough if they work like the thades asteroids do then your ship will get slowed instantly to 500 kmh. Ive sped into Thades at 20k+ and the ship just instantly decelerates to 500 once your 200 meters off the surface of an asteroid. 

 

It would be pretty good to have something like that, perhaps some kind of new resource you need to activate some extreme braking for asteroids only or some such thing, however it is implemented it would be another mechanic that could be used for various purposes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be interesting seeing what the return is for mining them.

At the moment, there is very little reason to leave the safe zone, as you can get pretty much anything in there.

If asteroids are giving the same stuff, are dangerous to mine due to combat, and a pain to find in the first place, the reward would need to be significantly better than just going mining on planet.

It'd be like trying to encourage me to go and buy beer in a bad neighbourhood on the other side of town. Sure, I might get more for my money, but I can get it closer to home, and not risk getting carjacked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IvanGrozniy said:

what would be nice is a dense asteroid field AND player made markets..... so that someone could plop down a space trade hub sorta near the field.

Slightly off topic but Im still heavily of the opinion that every NQ market should be deleted and replaced with player markets. Then limit the number of public player markets per planet so that way they become conflict drivers. Im sure theres something you could do with the safezone markets as well to make them competitive. 

 

6 hours ago, Setzar said:

Asteroids are a huge opportunity to bring that emergent gameplay to DU that I believe we all want.  Non-aggression pacts between orgs, group organized mining (pilots, miners and scouts working together), and piracy/org vs org conflict all come to mind immediately. 

 

In my opinion, asteroids should address these issues:

  • Alterative to terrestrial mining.
  • A way to gather large amounts of T1 and T2 without meganode hunting; T3+ content may be dependent of that particular asteroid belt spawn.
  • Bring 'civilization' outside of the safe-zone (be it for cooperation or pew-pew)
  • Get some ships destroyed so more ships can be built.  

A few ideas regarding these asteroid fields:

  • I think they should be non-static in nature.  They should spawn in, persist for a few days, then de-spawn (or turn into just rock).  If they continue to spawn in indefinitely, eventually their will be no need to share or contest them.  The also means if one doesn't spawn near your base, the next one might (or might not).  With the proposed mechanic of needing to be scanned down first, this would give those that are scanning a limited head start.
  • Combat ranges need to be evaluated carefully and hopefully mechanics adjusted accordingly.  Depending on the size of the asteroid belt, I'd think a sensor range dampening effect  (that extends well beyond the belt itself) would make both hunters and scouts work harder without allowing those L Railguns to snipe folks from way outside the belt.
  • As @Physics suggested, I like the idea of the belts being dense enough that one can't speed though without colliding with something.  Having the asteroids be large (and huge one's hollow) would be nice as well.
  • Probably not getting this one soon, but requiring guns and missiles to have line of sight to actually hit their target would be great.  Being able to evade that combat ship by keeping an asteroid between you and them would emphasize the pilot's role and give any hollowed out asteroids a tactical value.
  • A mechanic that allows people to communicate or 'hail' another ship would be appreciated. 
  • The idea of having them in the safe zone should really be limited to T1 with limited T2 with the thought being T1 and T2 should be the stepping stones to progress to T3+.  
  • If people are going to be able to live in space, maybe a space Market? (Or player markets if you REALLY love us?)

 

Setzar is correct. Just follow Setzar. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do t think I want asteroids, but rather comets.

 

Start them a few thousand SU out of the solar system, and have them travel about 1000km/ hr (speed to be determined during PTS test phase). Some will pass through the safe zone at some stage, some won’t go anywhere near it. 

 

You have ave a limited time to mine. When you decide to stop is really up to you, as once it has gone through the system it will just keep going for a few thousand SU before completely despawning. Since warp max distance is only 500su, if you decide to chase it for 5000su, good for you, hope you did your sums right and the trip back is worth the ore.

 

- Advantages, you may find it early if out in the right place.

- once it is gone, and nobody is anywhere near it, they can despawn it and it no longer takes space up in their DB

- finding it could be a challenge, like in the very old days of ED when you basically found things by parallax. Travelling way out in space and looking for objects that moved slightly more relative to your position compared to others gives you an idea of things which are closer.

- you have to make conscious game play decisions on how long it is worth mining vs the distance home

- PvPers have to make a decision how long they are willing to camp on it before returning to a base

- They can control ore speed by how many they spawn at once.

 

Thats what I’d like to see, but as I said, more of a comet than a asteroid game loop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, Revelcro said:

 

I would guess a decent amount of us poking around with amusement at the forums here have actually stopped playing daily.  Including you and me.  As it is right now i'm not sure "diggy diggy hole in space" would have us screaming back into the game en mass.  Digging and mining was not the greatest fun loop on the ground, in space it would also get old pretty fast.  Especially since the mechanic to do so would not likely change much.

 

They could eliminate the digging portion and just have us find higher tier ore in zones (that you could camp or patrol) as fully ready to be mined ore-roids and miners could risk going into those zones if the reward was high enough to risk whatever ship they made for the job.  But i'm afraid we might be looking at what will essentially be hexes floating in space, possibly even able to be scanned so you can see what is in it.  Amusing at first but long term we would not be able to tell the difference between the "roid" in space and just another hex on a planet.  I guess we will find out.

 

Why don't they introduce a gun named "mining laser". You can lock an asteroid and turn the gun on. While it is on, it eats fuel (space fuel I guess) and ore appears in the cargo container you have linked it to...

There is literally 0 stuff to implement as they can make an asteroid a type of "core" that is already able to be locked by space radar...


If someone takes a spaceship, gets to an asteroid, pulls out a sci-fi gun-like-shovel and starts digging its just LOL.
 

If NQ needs more details there is that game(hint:my avatar) they can check out, it has this part sorted since beta.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...