Jump to content

Mass Player Tracking Projects & Spying


Recommended Posts

As someone who goes to markets often, I notice changes. Recently, small white monoliths have been appearing at both entrances of every market as shown.

 

image.png.75b315c9ef976b35c18ca3cce7b9d466.png

 

The white totems contain the Lua components necessary to run a script on your computer and store the data acquired. Presumably, the totem collects player name and ID and time stamp in and out of the market. This data is then collected and put into a database that can track when and where any player in the game goes to a market and the traffic therein. There are many other analytics these devices produce that can be sold - like specific player searches.

 

These monoliths are owned by the org Hugninn and Munnin Associates (Norse Mythology) and run by Oxdale and his 3 alt accounts. Oxdale is also the Super Legate of The Old Guard of Gaia. Furthermore, he also collects player data like former orgs, locations, nicknames, ect.

 

Oxdale justified his devices by saying: "I sell my services for org leaders in priority, to help them sort candidates and check profiles"

However, he also says: "I have an extensive cover"

Personally, I don't support Oxdale and The Old Guard of Gaia on this venture, and I feel that it is a violation for my information to be sold behind my back. That being said, I have taken the liberty to publicize this. What do you guys think??

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, let's do this.   Hi, I'm Oxdale, Founder and Associate at Huginn & Muninn Associates. I'm also the founder of the Old Guard of Gaia (this detail is important), an organisation for wh

Yep. All that's true. Still want to crash their script if I can. (I'm very hostile to scammers and advertisers making it hard for me to use the market.)

Posted Images

shit just got real lol.

 

So if they have the capability to embed code onto a player to track them what is stopping them from creating a character embedded code to a person that sets perms and polocies? Im sure its not too far out of the realm of possibilities. Hell the one guy took out district 15 likely with this type of code. It was just a sacrificial test run to test the electric fence and probe to see what they could get away with.

 

Cyber Warfare & Inelligence gathering and embedding code onto other players is probably out of the wheelhouse of a majority of players skill set im pretty sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

how do the crows know what i'm searching for on the markets?

They don't know what you're searching for - just that you were there and what time you were there and how long you were there and your name and ID.

 

1 hour ago, Warlander said:

So if they have the capability to embed code onto a player to track them what is stopping them from creating a character

Well not really. Its just a detector. There is a lua function to fetch player data when they are inside the detector. So only when you are in the detector does the thing know. The script does of course run locally on your computer (One of the reasons these things cause lag)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Virtual said:

They don't know what you're searching for - just that you were there and what time you were there and how long you were there and your name and ID.

 

Well not really. Its just a detector. There is a lua function to fetch player data when they are inside the detector. So only when you are in the detector does the thing know. The script does of course run locally on your computer (One of the reasons these things cause lag)

No dont get me wrong I think it should be a thing to have cyber warfare and intelligence and cyber defense as a part of the game. Could be interesting. Or planting bugs or detectors/trackers or having to spot bugs in the local files. Im not necessarily against this being allowed in a Territory war situation with a totem that shuts another ship down or break door security  or something to that effect.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol omg...  None of this matters literally. None. No one has a secret XXXL Rail gun hidden away. 

1 hour ago, Daphne Jones said:

When you see that the script is running (look lower right on your screen for Programming Board), relog. It should hang the script.

A person writing the script can hide that programming board widget so you will never see it. But.. Literally, you can't embed code unto other people.. What the hell is this? Yes the code on the pb runs on your client but only in game files, nothing can be planted on your computer this way. All this script can do is track player id / name / timestamp. THAT IS IT. This is no different from what countless people do when they install player entrance tracking on their own ships. People are nuts in this game sometimes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol omg...  None of this matters literally. None. No one has a secret XXXL Rail gun hidden away. 

1 hour ago, Daphne Jones said:

When you see that the script is running (look lower right on your screen for Programming Board), relog. It should hang the script.

A person writing the script can hide that programming board widget so you will never see it. You won't know if a script is running at all, but if you are sure there's a pb somewhere nearby, your technique will still work :) 

 But.. Literally, you can't embed code unto other people.. What the hell is this? Yes the code on the pb runs on your client but only in game files, nothing can be planted on your computer this way. Common. People are nuts in this game sometimes...

 

Quote

There are many other analytics these devices produce that can be sold - like specific player searches

NO this is not how it works, and has nothing to do with these trackers. If you the player searches for a product on the market, your log file will store all of the market information, INCLUDING the names of the people who put up orders on the market. You can then parse through the logs and extract the information you need. It has nothing to do with these trackers. And no other player has access to these log files besides you.

 

Quote

Personally, I don't support Oxdale and The Old Guard of Gaia on this venture, and I feel that it is a violation for my information to be sold behind my back. 


If I have a tracker script on my ship and you enter and leave, am I also violating your information if I then sell it? Seriously? This is like 101 lua code right here, if you think these trackers are spying on you, you're in for a big surprise. Every big org has scrapers, everyone knows where everyone is, who they are affiliated with, etc. A quick search through this forum will show you a page where people have graphed out scraped information for convenience to the public.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Warlander said:

So if they have the capability to embed code onto a player to track them what is stopping them from creating a character embedded code to a person that sets perms and polocies? Im sure its not too far out of the realm of possibilities. Hell the one guy took out district 15 likely with this type of code. It was just a sacrificial test run to test the electric fence and probe to see what they could get away with.

Ok.. for starters... this is not how ingame lua works at all... I just briefly described what lua is capable of, and it is nowhere near the cyberpunk all-seeing-eye apocalypse some people think this is.
You cannot embed code onto a player. There is no way to use lua to alter permissions and policies. A lot of people have these kinds of trackers on their ships, factories, territories, etc. All it does is tracks when a player entered and left. That's all it can do. Nothing to worry about. Everyone can do it. Everyone can do it on mass like this org that places trackers on markets. Literally nothing to worry about, you're being spied upon all the time anyway, just play the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless I'm mistaken all this does is potentially track when someone is close and at that time collect that data, once you move away, the script unloads. There is no access to your RL data nor any relevant or impactful effect on your in gam activities. Players logging off alts on other peoples ships to have a beacon if and when they want to attack you is a more real and present issue.

 

 

The earth is flat you know and there is a tracker chip in the COVID-19 vaccin..

pretty much that..

Link to post
Share on other sites

LUA scripts must be able to detect people entering and leaving the script activation zone and perform predefined actions depending on RDMS. This is fundamental functionality requires for them to work at all in a MMO. So unless there is some script jailbreak exploit (not what we are talking about here, and there are no known exploits to my knowledge) to run unsanctioned code on the client pc, there is nothing to worry about.

 

You average web page will run a metric buttload of javascripts and trackers that are much more scary then this will ever be, with access to your physical location (closest internet access node/GPS) and RL information. All thanks to big companies like google, facebook etc. that make you give out this information voluntary to access some kind of 'free' service..

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IvanGrozniy said:

Lol omg...  None of this matters literally. None. No one has a secret XXXL Rail gun hidden away. 

A person writing the script can hide that programming board widget so you will never see it. But.. Literally, you can't embed code unto other people.. What the hell is this? Yes the code on the pb runs on your client but only in game files, nothing can be planted on your computer this way. All this script can do is track player id / name / timestamp. THAT IS IT. This is no different from what countless people do when they install player entrance tracking on their own ships. People are nuts in this game sometimes.

Yep. All that's true. Still want to crash their script if I can. (I'm very hostile to scammers and advertisers making it hard for me to use the market.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IvanGrozniy said:

Ok.. for starters... this is not how ingame lua works at all... I just briefly described what lua is capable of, and it is nowhere near the cyberpunk all-seeing-eye apocalypse some people think this is.
You cannot embed code onto a player. There is no way to use lua to alter permissions and policies. A lot of people have these kinds of trackers on their ships, factories, territories, etc. All it does is tracks when a player entered and left. That's all it can do. Nothing to worry about. Everyone can do it. Everyone can do it on mass like this org that places trackers on markets. Literally nothing to worry about, you're being spied upon all the time anyway, just play the game.

Im not worried at all. Analytics of any sort is a powerful tool. Im not against it. Im just glad for the heads up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Context said:

If this worries you, don't join any group which has a forum, discord, or website with a login...

 

pfff people think they have any privacy whatsoever, HA!

Yea, they are worried when someone in a sci-fi beta game know where does their avatar move their ass to but do post documented details of all of their private life on twitter/facebook including pictures and relations... go figure.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is dirty, it's just fukn dirty.  It's hard to believe that people are ok with shit like this.  This is like the kiosks that were scamming people.  Why are there so many defenders for shity gameplay??  This game is turning out to be a cry-baby-baby-boss and griefer paradise.  Who cares about sustainment, we just want to fuck with people!!!! 

Good luck with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 10:08 AM, Warlander said:

shit just got real lol.

 

So if they have the capability to embed code onto a player to track them what is stopping them from creating a character embedded code to a person that sets perms and polocies? Im sure its not too far out of the realm of possibilities. Hell the one guy took out district 15 likely with this type of code. It was just a sacrificial test run to test the electric fence and probe to see what they could get away with.

 

Cyber Warfare & Inelligence gathering and embedding code onto other players is probably out of the wheelhouse of a majority of players skill set im pretty sure.

Imma jus' gonna stop you there fella'...

 

OP said nothing about embedding code in a player... And where the actual f... did you get the idea that someone took out MP15 "with this type of code"

That's some serious imagination you got there...

Unbridled extrapolation and crowbarring irrelevant shit like NQ's RDMS error on MP15 into an argument about data gathering is how groups like QAnon get their first toehold...

Shit may have got real but your arguments are anything but.


 

42 minutes ago, Hazaatan said:

This is dirty, it's just fukn dirty.  It's hard to believe that people are ok with shit like this.  This is like the kiosks that were scamming people.  Why are there so many defenders for shity gameplay??  This game is turning out to be a cry-baby-baby-boss and griefer paradise.  Who cares about sustainment, we just want to fuck with people!!!! 

Good luck with that.


And... BOOM... now we have the expected ignorant, kneejerk personally-offended redneck responses...    Just like Newsmax.

This needs to be nipped in the bud.

 

  • The game does NOT allow you to "Plant" LUA on someone.

 

A sensor can be used to detect the presence of a player or construct.
This is usually for automation, such as a sliding door, activating a screen or switching on lights.

 

However, it can also store a timestamp and the ID of a player. THAT IS ALL...  

 

  • It can't tell what you're doing. It can't read the contents of your Nanopack.

 

The MP15 was disassembled by players. No LUA was used.

 

However, as with everything NQ, they turned a minor and somewhat amusing mistake (In a game labelled BETA that is still actually ALPHA)  into a catastrophy of biblical proportions as only JC can manage.


Why?

 

NQ amusingly banned paying customers for disassembling MP15 due to applying poor RDMS permissions, to much fanfare and handwaving.   No LUA was used.

This would have been pretty much kosher were it not for the even more amusing fact that NQ had just days before EXPLICITLY stated that RDMS settings are 100% the responsibility of the owner and that they, NQ, would point blank refuse to assist players who had had their shit stolen by other players playing the game since it was basically their own stupid fault for not learning how to use the RDMS.  Yet when NQ made a mistake, they treated as a personal attack and went into super-defensive mode with "surgical precision" in punishing the miscreants. Banning them from the game. Much like their response to the people that bought schematics mistakenly sold for a 99% discount... oh wait. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to make sure we are all on the same planet here. 

 

You all are talking about a detection zone, on a ship, parked at a market, being able to log the names of any players that walk past it?

 

That's all right? 

 

If we're roleplaying that we're angry at the ORG doing it, because they're invading our imaginary in game privacy, then i'm down with that lol

 

But do people actually think there is something wrong with the ability to do this?  It was added so you can track players passing through the finish line of a race.  

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Just to make sure we are all on the same planet here. 

 

You all are talking about a detection zone, on a ship, parked at a market, being able to log the names of any players that walk past it?

 

That's all right? 

 

If we're roleplaying that we're angry at the ORG doing it, because they're invading our imaginary in game privacy, then i'm down with that lol

 

But do people actually think there is something wrong with the ability to do this?  It was added so you can track players passing through the finish line of a race.  

 

 

 

 

yep. that is exactly correct. But within a few posts it has been GOATSE-grade stretched to include LUA client payloads and LUA circumvention of NQ imposed RMDS... followed by instantaneous and overblown OUTRAAAAGE RAAAWWWWW!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...