Jump to content

Tools to facilitate socialization (emotes, voice chat, and stuff like that))


aliensalmon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Perhaps what Dual Universe needs to retain players are more tools to facilitate socialization, such as emotes, voice chat, actions, and stuff like that. It works using the idea that a main reason why people play MMOs are the social aspects. 

 

Perhaps you can win them as prizes for doing activities in the game such as pvp or whatever.

 

Do you guys agree?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

This has been suggestion many times, a proximity chat. NQ has never once commented back.  Like not even a maybe, or a no.  Maybe it wouldnt work well with their crap servers? who knows.

Yeah, perhaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, aliensalmon said:

Yeah, perhaps.

Its a great suggestion tho, ask anyone who plays games like DayZ.  The proximity chat is amazing for player interactions.  Its 100x easier to get peoples tone, and demeaner thru voice than chat.  I remember my early days in alpha.  I would see people in the market occasionally, and be like "hey" in local.  Then "nice ship".  and we would both be standing there, and then it was like "bye".  But sitting there talking instead of typing out all the things I could or would want to ask (if the other person also wanted to talk) would be amazing.  Obviously need to be able to have quick hot keys for mute, and be able to perma mute people that are annoying or whatever.  But it would add soooooooooooooooo much to the game imo.  I know jack shit about coding or servers, but the fact NQ hasnt to my knowledge ever even commented on proximity voice chat makes me believe it would lag the servers even more or something.  Just my speculation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, aliensalmon said:

Perhaps what Dual Universe needs to retain players are more tools to facilitate socialization, such as emotes, voice chat, actions, and stuff like that. It works using the idea that a main reason why people play MMOs are the social aspects. 

 

Perhaps you can win them as prizes for doing activities in the game such as pvp or whatever.

 

Do you guys agree?

We need gameplay. The most social MMO I ever played (Everquest 1) was as social as it was because the gameplay required players to depend on each other.  Group play was all but a necessity. Soloing was possible, but wildly inefficient compared to working as a team. 

 

Granted that game was the epitome of PvE, the same principles can be applied to this one. The primary problem is that we have nothing to do but mine to build, and use said constructs to mine more. There is no reason to build cities when said buildings are nothing but aesthetic eye candy that serve no functional purpose. In short, more social tools are meaningless without engaging loops to get people playing in the first place.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Musclethorpe said:

There is no reason to build cities when said buildings are nothing but aesthetic eye candy that serve no functional purpose. In short, more social tools are meaningless without engaging loops to get people playing in the first place.  

So much this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

This has been suggestion many times, a proximity chat. NQ has never once commented back.  Like not even a maybe, or a no.  Maybe it wouldnt work well with their crap servers? who knows.

Seeing how their chat already has pretty much all the data needed for proximity/construct limited chat it should pretty much be a drop in addition of a 3rd part library to make this work. It would then also be trivial to do a "selective mute allowing you to disable this when being at markets for instance.

 

Functionality like "ship to ship" communication would then also become an option an I could think of a few more options.

 

NQ emphasizing the roleplay aspect of the game would also put more things in perspective, similar to how Mortal Online II is doing this.

 

9 hours ago, Musclethorpe said:

There is no reason to build cities when said buildings are nothing but aesthetic eye candy that serve no functional purpose. In short, more social tools are meaningless without engaging loops to get people playing in the first place.  

This is true but at the same time honestly believe that voice chat would allow a lot of that to actually become feasible and happen organically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has NQ even done basic MMO communication yet?  IE: pressing enter should set focus to chat, displaying the chat window should keep it up in (instead of it deciding to disappear), there should be some form of indication that someone next to you typed (keyboard typing emote or chat bubbles), and similar MMO standards.   The game is so antisocial that there has never been the guild recruitment spam chat that is endemic to the MMO genre.

 

not even following basic social  GUI design language sets DU to be explicitly non-social when it comes to ingame communication.  Likewise by ingame tools being so terrible that leaves pretty much Discord and these forums for everything, which means that you’re shoving people not even playing and playing together (Which will help population death spirals a bit with “bad reviews” in the “actual” game chat).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • My input
    • Social "distancing" pun most intended
      • Chat works only in constructs that you are in.
        • New comm elements for using communications terminal from pilot seat with settable frequencies and passwords, aka broadcasting that is SEMI global on that frequency.
          • RDMS for channels IE Receive and broadcast permissions.
      • Creative functions to move some elements of communications from Discord to InGame methods.
        • K, I can't think of much else atm.....
      • Biggest idea on it would be to move as much as possible from DISC to in game, while still maintaining functionality.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ingame chat sucks there is no way to keep an eye on all or any channel, using Discord while playing DU kinda is crash sensitive and does not work on touch to speak, other options seem to have problems with speak and screen sharing too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

voice chat would be nice! I mean, is this a social game? Why are we using Discord? REALLY? This game needs in game voice chat and proximity chat! Do I need to start a few newspaper articles to get this going? 

 

Dr. Frigo Porco,

President of Alioth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In game, when you run into another player, it sort of feels like you both don't speak the same language.  You might hop around a little, wave your arms, make a few gestures, but no one knows what channel anyone else is in, and when i do send a message to the local channel it seems like people don't usually see it.  Maybe they're talking to me too, but if they are, i'm not seeing that either.  If it's someone from my Org i'll just talk to them on Discord.  But otherwise we usually just go our separate ways, without actually communicating.

 

Proximity voice chat would be cool too.  But we really just need a simple chat system that works at least as well as MMOs from the 90's 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Voice chat will make this game more niche, plus it is technically harder to implement. Everyone has a keyboard and uses a keyboard compare to a headset + mic. In other words, it is more accessible and convenient, so it is more redundant than a voice chat. 

 

Why not a local chat system like this one and make it ping a sound whenever new messages pops-out for improved notification? : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvVVZ4_-Hv4

 

I am just gonna rant here, OK. As a non-boomer, you people are so jaded! I just don't understand your generation, OK. How about we make the game more convenient? What is wrong with that? I mean look at the voxelmancy. You wanna know why Landmark was scrapped? It is not fun and accessible to significant amount of people, hence it is not a viable product. It is so niche! We have a problem here in Dual Universe in terms of accessibility! The game is not even playable man! How about we work on making it so? The game is bloody niche! It is just like Landmark! 

 

And you guys are proposing voice chat? Oh wow! Talk about niche!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Atmosph3rik said:

But we really just need a simple chat system that works at least as well as MMOs from the 90's

We need a chat system that everyone can use! What if you don't have a headset + mic, or--in the case of myself--you simply don't like to use them because it makes you sound like megatron? Go with the system that is the most accessible if we are speaking about tools!

 

You see, I'm giving you an AK103 --a redundant gun that has a muzzle brake!--to fight in the jungle, and you want what? An M16/M4 that has a feeding problem if it's not clean? An M16/M4 that is mechanically more complex? An M16/M4 that burns into pieces after a few mags in full-auto? You see, this is how you think about high-tech! Gears also have to be redundant!

 

We need a gun that will fire even if I plunge it on the mud! We don't need a high-tech gun that will only conditionally work!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Eternal said:

We need a chat system that everyone can use! What if you don't have a headset + mic, or--in the case of myself--you simply don't like to use them because it makes you sound like megatron? Go with the system that is the most accessible if we are speaking about tools!

 

You see, I'm giving you an AK103 --a redundant gun that has a muzzle brake!--to fight in the jungle, and you want what? An M16/M4 that has a feeding problem if it's not clean? An M16/M4 that is mechanically more complex? An M16/M4 that burns into pieces after a few mags in full-auto? You see, this is how you think about high-tech! Gears also have to be redundant!

 

We need a gun that will fire even if I plunge it on the mud! We don't need a high-tech gun that will only conditionally work!

 

The only analogies worse than car analogies are gun analogies, IMO. 

 

only a tiny, special, subset of people has a clue -or likely cares- what you’re on about.

 

lol 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eternal said:

Voice chat will make this game more niche, plus it is technically harder to implement.

No it's not. There are good 3rd party solutions which are pretty much drop in for DU as what you need for it to work is already available in game. It should be a fairly low dev cost option with a potentially huge positive impact on the game.

 

You do not like to use voice or you do not like to hear others talk in game? disable the functionality in settings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But who would you socialise with?  I'm in an org with over 200 members and whenever I log in I'm literally the only one online.  I spent 20 minutes flying around the districts today and the only time I saw any players at all were the 6 players on the radar while I was hovering over a field for 5 minutes waiting for district 6 market to render any pads at all so I could land.

 

Adding communication tools at this point is just shutting the stable door.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

But who would you socialise with?  I'm in an org with over 200 members and whenever I log in I'm literally the only one online.  I spent 20 minutes flying around the districts today and the only time I saw any players at all were the 6 players on the radar while I was hovering over a field for 5 minutes waiting for district 6 market to render any pads at all so I could land.

 

Adding communication tools at this point is just shutting the stable door.

all the people we socialize with on Discord....10-30 people every day, new people...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

But who would you socialise with?  I'm in an org with over 200 members and whenever I log in I'm literally the only one online.  I spent 20 minutes flying around the districts today and the only time I saw any players at all were the 6 players on the radar while I was hovering over a field for 5 minutes waiting for district 6 market to render any pads at all so I could land.

 

Adding communication tools at this point is just shutting the stable door.

 

I mean, sometimes i feel like there's no point in getting out of bed in the morning too.

 

But what are we here for, on these forums, if not to suggest improvements?

 

If you think that's a waste of time, then, well.... 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2021 at 2:07 PM, Atmosph3rik said:

 

I mean, sometimes i feel like there's no point in getting out of bed in the morning too.

 

But what are we here for, on these forums, if not to suggest improvements?

 

If you think that's a waste of time, then, well.... 

 

True.  I'm just annoyed because the game was shaping up really well but has been so utterly disappointing since 0.23 dropped.  Yesterday I flew around for 20 minutes (alioth districts so it should be a busy place), I only saw 6 people the entire time and those were all in district 6 as I waited literally 5 minutes for the platforms to appear so I could land.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...