Anyone else taking time off work for Pre-Alpha?

yamamushi

Personally, I had taken off the last two weeks of September from work, but I moved my time off to the first two weeks of October.

I fully aware the servers won't be up 24/7, but it's going to be a busy exciting time regardless and after all the waiting I'm more than happy to have time off to focus on DU for two weeks :P

So is anyone else out there planning on taking time off for Pre-Alpha on September 30th (I'm aware it's a Saturday) or the first week of October? 

3 minutes ago, Lord_Void said:

I'm planning on taking time off when the game actually launches, but not for the alpha. I'll certainly be playing as much as possible but I personally won't be clearing my whole schedule for something that isn't always on. 

Oh but you wish you could

3 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

Sounds like someone wasn't as big of a fan as I thought then 

Ouch ... yama has questioned my fanliness... How will I go on? Lol

Just because people don't set aside as much time for something as you think they should doesn't make them any less of a fan

20 minutes ago, Elildar said:

I've also kept my summers days off to take it at the Alpha launch. So it will be the 1st week of october, maybe 2 weeks.

Even if the server will not be 24/7 access, I have so much things to prepare offline.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

I have no clue how my University studies will look schedule wise in October but i'm gonna try to match with the server up-time as well as i can. Can't really "take time off" studies sadly, since project deadlines will be deadlines regardless.

I'm gonna try to take off the days they announce for the pre-alpha as they announce them. We will see how well that works. My time zone being Hawaii might help or hinder a lot though I can't be sure yet.

I am worried about timing too; while weekends always work for everyone, the earliest I'll be able to play Monday through Friday is 11 pm NQ time. I hope they keep the servers up overnight!

Because I started my job in the middle of the year, I was only given a few vacation days, and they've been stretched thin; I had to cut my time at my family vacation in half in order to have enough days for the time before my wedding, plus some other obligations and special days. So extra time for the game is not going to be an option... And if I did have extra vacation days, they would have been spent elsewhere (I only get a max of 10).

I am very excited to play the game, and I've been looking forward to it for a long time... Unfortunately for that though, all other life obligations are prioritized above DU. 

8 hours ago, Lord_Void said:

Ouch ... yama has questioned my fanliness... How will I go on? Lol

Just because people don't set aside as much time for something as you think they should doesn't make them any less of a fan

Couldn't agree more here.  How much someone wants a game to be completed is not dictated by how much time they take off, how much time they dedicate to, or how much ramen they eat for the next few weeks ^^

I'm a hardcore fanatic for this game, but if there's a 15-20 second swell with a small offshore breeze...  there's no way I'm going to be behind a computer screen.  

Basically what I'm trying to say is that just because someone has higher priorities than DU does not mean they are any less of a fan than the next guy.

Similarly, I will not be taking time off for the alpha.  Mainly due to the fact that I know it's just that, an alpha for testing.  Whether I'm doing the testing or the next guy is fairly irrelevant.  I will test stuff when I can, others will test stuff when they can.  I imagine NQ will have a "reported and understood but not fixed" page that will minimize repeat reports.

Trying to get work off!

Although working this month has been a nightmare with the time I had to take off for the eclipse. I did get in Wyoming for the 2 minute and 15 second totality, so worth it!

My biggest concern though is going to be if Alpha will continue to stay active through the whole phase for it to be worth it. I mean there is only so much compared to the whole game, wjo;e will be large amounts of content, but how we go about playing the game might make things seem... a little slow until we get the hang of some things.

I'm not saying you're not a big fan for not taking off work, I'm saying your attitude about the whole thing reflects that sentiment more than anything.

If you're completely nonchalant about the pre-alpha releasing to all of the gold and higher backers, then you're missing the point entirely. 

This is one of the single most pivotal moments for the game, here Novaquark is finally going to be able to prove whether or not their server technology works, and whether or not the game can actually scale up to handle even the relatively small group of players coming in who have founders packs. If this works, then Novaquark will have proven something that is a huge deal to the MMO world, even in a pre-alpha state. 

What I see here is people, whom I would have expected should understand what it means, basically shrugging it off like it's not a big deal. 

I mean aren't you supposed to ATV members, people who were picked as community representatives for the game in this early stage?

I look over at the Star Citizen community and they're crawling over each other to take time off to play their game, they have people making insane art, and people cosplaying vending machines from the game even. Their fans are hardcore. 

I look over here, and I see people basically going "meh". It makes it seem like they just picked random people who post a lot on the forums as ATV members instead of their biggest fans. ATV members should be encouraging people and getting people excited for this, not just reacting like this is a non-event. 

You were chosen to help test the game in an Alpha state, or you pledged high enough for Alpha, either way shrugging this off because it's not the full release or because the world is getting wiped doesn't make sense, you knew exactly what this was going to entail.

This is why we're here. 

35 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

I'm not saying you're not a big fan for not taking off work, I'm saying your attitude about the whole thing reflects that sentiment more than anything.

If you're completely nonchalant about the pre-alpha releasing to all of the gold and higher backers, then you're missing the point entirely. 

This is one of the single most pivotal moments for the game, here Novaquark is finally going to be able to prove whether or not their server technology works, and whether or not the game can actually scale up to handle even the relatively small group of players coming in who have founders packs. If this works, then Novaquark will have proven something that is a huge deal to the MMO world, even in a pre-alpha state. 

What I see here is people, whom I would have expected should understand what it means, basically shrugging it off like it's not a big deal. 

I mean aren't you supposed to ATV members, people who were picked as community representatives for the game in this early stage?

I look over at the Star Citizen community and they're crawling over each other to take time off to play their game, they have people making insane art, and people cosplaying vending machines from the game even. Their fans are hardcore. 

I look over here, and I see people basically going "meh". It makes it seem like they just picked random people who post a lot on the forums as ATV members instead of their biggest fans. ATV members should be encouraging people and getting people excited for this, not just reacting like this is a non-event. 

You were chosen to help test the game in an Alpha state, or you pledged high enough for Alpha, either way shrugging this off because it's not the full release or because the world is getting wiped doesn't make sense, you knew exactly what this was going to entail.

This is why we're here. 

giphy.webp

I guess the SC fanbase example was simply that: an example. 

But I wouldn't necessarily expect the same level of commitment (people cosplaying as noodle vending machine) for DU yet, nor do we have something comparable to the vending machine which became something like a meme over there.

SC is simply more ahead and known and it may take DU more time to reach a more established presence. The community is still relatively small-ish. Promoting the game to closer online contacts did not help much yet, they seem to wait for more progress. 

I think it is a slow growing process. As the game progresses, the user base will "harden" and become larger but also more confident. Till then, let us all collectively try to do our best - to the best of our abilities. Some will or can do more, others less. 

38 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

This is why we're here. 

Oh get off your high horse. 

We all understand how important this moment is, and we are all excited. Just because not everyone is taking off of work doesn't mean we are "not true fans". No one, not you or anyone else has a right to try and tell people that they aren't good enough fans, or aren't "real" parts of the community. We are all working hard to build a better community. 

I am going to be participating as much as possible and no one will be able to accuse me of not being there, but unless NQ wants to pay my bills for me then I'm not taking work off for alphas and betas. Over the next year there are probably going to be 3 or more alphas and 1 to 3 betas, plus launch. Taking two weeks off for each means 7x2 = 14 weeks off. I wish I had that much vacation time, but I don't.

Dual Universe is a marathon, not a sprint and I'm here for the long haul. 

1 minute ago, Lord_Void said:

Oh get off your high horse. 

We all understand how important this moment is, and we are all excited. Just because not everyone is taking off of work doesn't mean we are "not true fans". No one, not you or anyone else has a right to try and tell people that they aren't good enough fans, or aren't "real" parts of the community. We are all working hard to build a better community. 

I am going to be participating as much as possible and no one will be able to accuse me of not being there, but unless NQ wants to pay my bills for me then I'm not taking work off for alphas and betas. Over the next year there are probably going to be 3 or more alphas and 1 to 3 betas, plus launch. Taking two weeks off for each means 7x2 = 14 weeks off. I wish I had that much vacation time, but I don't.

Dual Universe is a marathon, not a sprint and I'm here for the long haul. 

Did I say you weren't a real fan, or not a real part of the community? Or did you just infer that from my comment about you not being as big of a fan as I thought?

It's clear to me that you overreacted to what I said in jest and interpreted what I said as "because you're not taking off work you're not a fan", my point was that your comment "If I wanted to I would" was not something that I would expect a huge fan of DU to say. 

What, am I supposed to put emoji's in all of my posts so you get when I'm being facetious from now on? 

But sure, flip out at me because I have high standards. 

2 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

Did I say you weren't a real fan, or not a real part of the community? Or did you just infer that from my comment about you not being as big of a fan as I thought?

It's clear to me that you overreacted to what I said in jest and interpreted what I said as "because you're not taking off work you're not a fan", my point was that your comment "If I wanted to I would" was not something that I would expect a huge fan of DU to say. 

What, am I supposed to put emoji's in all of my posts so you get when I'm being facetious from now on? 

But sure, flip out at me because I have high standards. 

Nice back pedal. I think it's quite clear to everyone what you meant with what you were saying

Guys can we simply just stop flaming at each other and just go back to awaiting the DU alpha... Come on, some of us can take time off from work and want to do so to enjoy the alpha. There is nothing wrong with that, some people simply care enough about it, to do such things. Then there are those of us who can not take off time for the alpha, sadly I am one of the latter in this instance, but guaranteed a lot of us who can not play due to work/school time constraints will do what we can to be online as we are able. 

What is not proper however is to flame at individuals due to the fact that they are taking time off from work to enjoy the alpha, or that a group does not care enough to take time off for the alpha. 

What I do suggest, is that we just go back to our quiet little corners, and just continue to wait for more information from NQ about the coming alpha.