Flat Earth theorists, I have breaking news!!!

DarkHorizon

Pfft, no I don't, but as long as you're here now, why don't you pull up a chair and keep reading eh? I didn't find a thread on "flat earth theory" prior so here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-z7O7LddYs

In the above video, someone sets out with a drone to demonstrate the curvature of the earth by recording the sun setting twice in a day at two different altitudes, first from the ground, the rising upwards after the sun has set and watched it set again at the higher altitude.

In the comments I read after the video, numerous people had attempted to debunk the experiment by saying that and I'm not quoting "increased altitude clears away obstacles from the earth which allows for the sun to set twice from the perspective of two different yet perpendicular altitudes." I engaged one such person who actually decided to provide an example of such so I decided to set out my own experiment (mentally of course) in my rebuttal.

Ok! Lets use some basic skills to disprove your ball earth and this silly experiment that shows this video is incorrect! Get a penny put your eye level on the flat table, now slowly pull the penny away from you down towards the oposite end of the table. Now you will see the penny slowly disappear from your sight. Now get your pretend drone (use a second set of eyes) and slowly move your view from the flat table up and bam you get the same results as you did here, but now using a flat table. The table is not curved, so why does the penny come back into view from pretend drone?? Simple tools and simple thinking. :)

To which I replied:

I'm a simple person, so here are some simple thoughts. 

In your own experiment Jamie, you say that the penny gets smaller and smaller the further the penny gets from your point of vision, and upon ascending to a higher position, the penny returns to view. This is true in one regard that any object with increasing distance will become smaller. After ascending the penny becomes viewable again. Since we are dealing with a flat object on a flat surface, from both a flat and elevated position, your statement makes sense.

However, since we are dealing with a relatively flat object against a flat surface, I have to call this experiment into question. A flat penny on a flat surface will become harder to see at a short distance because its side profile isn't that great, hence why you would lose sight of it at a shorter distance. Yet, from an elevated position, you are looking at the penny from a new and larger side profile so the penny becomes quickly visible in your sight since a penny covers much more area when looking perpendicular to it as opposed to looking parallel to it.

This should be understandable if you are seeing the mental image like I am, but if not then I'll provide it below.

_ ... _  ///  _ 0 _  ///  _ O _
parallel / angled / perpendicular

Since you gave us an experiment to perform, I'll have you perform another one for us! It requires a ball (large exercise balls would work best, for scale the bigger the better), a penny, a piece of tape, a length of paper, and a friend or stranger willing to help.

Set up the exercise ball and tape the penny to the end of the paper. Set the penny and paper on the ball so it is at an angle on the ball and position your head so that the penny is flat in your sights. Have your assistant pull the penny over the top of the ball until it disappears.

Now for some more effort on your part. Pretend the ball is the planet (or flat surface) that you are standing upon. Move your sight at an upward angle that is perpendicular to the ball (so for example if you were at the top part of the ball, you'd rise straight up) until your sight is again flat with the penny.

This is a small scale replication of the experiment done here in this video. Flat earthers who believe that you can see further due to the lack of obstacles are absolutely correct in their assumption that by ascending straight up from a location where the sun has set will cause the sun to reappear again.

How are flat earthers correct in this assumption do you ask? The curvature of the planet is an obstacle in and of itself.

Indeed, if the earth were flat then the sun would set and it would never be seen again from any point on the planet and from any altitude until it rose again the very next day. If the earth were indeed flat, then from its rising to its setting, every point on earth (assuming our axial rotation was at 0 degrees as opposed to 23) would see the sun rise and set at the same time.

Flat earthers are also correct that the increased altitude clears away earthbound obstacles like buildings, trees, and geological features which would make it seem that the sun would set behind a tree from a ground based perspective, but upon rising up over the obstacle, makes the sun viewable again until it sets over the horizon.

Flat earthers are absolutely correct in the above paragraph, but again they fail to account for the greatest obstacle of them all, the curvature of the earth.

Such a theory is a horrible double-edged sword, but if people want to believe in such want to believe in a lie, so be it.

You live in your lie, let me live in mine, and let's not hate each other for it. You seemed pretty decent in your post (contrary to what I often see in youtube) so I'm just returning the favor. c:

And with that I smiled to myself thinking I'd provided a worth while explanation and I'm just awaiting a reply should one ever come.

I had a flat-earther in one of my college classes over the spring semester and we have some good dialogue but I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the whole flat-earth theory? Do you believe in it, if so, why? If you don't, why not? On a side note, do you think this has any relevance to DU? Discuss.

“On the Disc the gods dealt severely with atheists.”

ps.: flat earthers are just crazy noobs who have no idea how this universe works. Just as chemtrail-fanatics, moon landing conspirators and all other idiots out there believing some bullshit

3 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

I never knew this people existed until recently, can someone tell me what type of thinking can lead to this ideas?

Yes, I'll try. 

For starters visit this website, https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/

As you can see they have a bunch of "evidence" in their wiki. One of their principles is that they only accept evidence of tests that are based on natural observation. That sort of science has a fancy name but I can't remember. Another one of their "rules" is that their way of science should be able to be solved by high school math. 

Do I understand them? No I don't. I honestly thought it was a joke conspiracy but turns out it has quite a few followers. 

Hit me a PM if you have further questions. 

1 hour ago, Falstaf said:

Yes, I'll try. 

For starters visit this website, https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/

As you can see they have a bunch of "evidence" in their wiki. One of their principles is that they only accept evidence of tests that are based on natural observation. That sort of science has a fancy name but I can't remember. Another one of their "rules" is that their way of science should be able to be solved by high school math. 

Do I understand them? No I don't. I honestly thought it was a joke conspiracy but turns out it has quite a few followers. 

Hit me a PM if you have further questions. 

Thanks, wow its amazing how many people believe in this and actually ignore other facts.

"I had a flat-earther in one of my college classes" Sorry that bit you wrote at the end is what gets me the most. I mean how is it one could be smart enough to get into a college ( unless its some low rent community college I guess) and still be that ignorant... Just baffles the mind it does. To this day theres no way my mind can accept that people legitimately believe this. Its just some kind of weird fad thing like doomsday cults, its has to be.

2 hours ago, Pang_Dread said:

"I had a flat-earther in one of my college classes" Sorry that bit you wrote at the end is what gets me the most. I mean how is it one could be smart enough to get into a college ( unless its some low rent community college I guess) and still be that ignorant... Just baffles the mind it does. To this day theres no way my mind can accept that people legitimately believe this. Its just some kind of weird fad thing like doomsday cults, its has to be.

It's actually easily understandable to think the Earth is flat. Some people have been lied to constantly OR they are totally accustomed to what their parents/grandparents/family/school/whatever teach them. Would you believe somebody if they said, "Well... Unicorns do exist and control the Government."

Somewhat the same thing.

*Yes, I know the Earth is a sphere. A rough sphere.

58 minutes ago, Kuritho said:

It's actually easily understandable to think the Earth is flat. Some people have been lied to constantly OR they are totally accustomed to what their parents/grandparents/family/school/whatever teach them. Would you believe somebody if they said, "Well... Unicorns do exist and control the Government."

Somewhat the same thing.

*Yes, I know the Earth is a sphere. A rough sphere.

Sure, I mean if you're sort of brainwashed to think that way. Thats why i used the doomsday cult phenomena as a reference point for that way of thinking, if you're isolated enough, programed enough you could be lead to believe anything I suppose. But still once you're presented with the facts and able to do your own thinking there's just no way one can seriously still think that way.

Just now, Pang_Dread said:

Sure, I mean if you're sort of brainwashed to think that way. Thats why i used the doomsday cult phenomena as a reference point for that way of thinking, if you're isolated enough, programed enough you could be lead to believe anything I suppose. But still once you're presented with the facts and able to do your own thinking there's just no way one can seriously still think that way.

I have top evidence the government is Illuminati:

Just think about it.

3 hours ago, Pang_Dread said:

I live in America. If you've watched the news and seen the brainwashing that has gone on in college campuses then you'd know that this is completely normal.

8 hours ago, Dragoon said:

I never knew this people existed until recently, can someone tell me what type of thinking can lead to this ideas?

There have always been people like this, but the Internet allows them to find each other and validate each other. B)

On 21.7.2017 at 4:54 AM, Kuritho said:

NOVAQUARK! YOU BETTER PUT A FLAT PLANET! I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER IF YOU DO IT!

Also, the Earth isn't flat. Explain the hills and mountains. They're elevated.

Isn't the voxel build system the same that planets are formed. You could just build a flat earth in game. Strip mine Alioth, rebuild flat one and put a city on it.  (probably needs some artificial gravity.) 

• 2 weeks later...

iT3cRO1l.jpg

I'll tell you one thing I admire about flat earth cultists, it is their tenacity in how they address some of the questions regarding how their theories are rational which are quite thought provoking. 

That doesn't mean they are correct however. 

Edited by OnePercent

• 2 weeks later...