Jump to content

Pending Operation


 Share

Recommended Posts

I realize this is an old problem, and one that was apparently fixed after the last patch.  Glad everyone got it sorted..... except I never had that problem UNTIL the last patch.  It took me 20 minutes to dig a 100m hole the last time I logged on.  Cleared cache, no change.  I have looked about on forums and Reddit, and only see reference to this issue from waaaaay back, nothing current.  I have my graphics settings dumbed way down, cache cleared.  Nothing seems to change the painful "Pending Operation" mining Hell. 

 

Any tricks I'm missing to sort this out or am I S.O.L. ?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm also getting some pending operations when i dig since the last patch.

 

It hasn't really been an issue for at least a year i think.  but they must have tweaked something that made it worse in the last patch.

 

In the past it was a lot worse on Alioth and other more populated planets.  I don't know if that's the same now. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get Pending Operations and Computing Data constantly. Never had this problem until the last 2-patches.

I created a support ticket but according the helpdesk it had something to do with my bandwidth :) :) :)  and they did not receive any other complaints.

 

One thing I did notice is that it was horrible on Sinnen. A was much better on Sicari and it is getting worse on Lacobus. My thoughts are that it also might be planet related or so.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure what Gloria Estefan has to do with it...

 

but it’s likely that we are feeling their servers starting to strain under untenable load from all the digging that people have done. 
 

that is why finally... after years of people explaining to NQ the flawed nature of their ridiculously pointless-and-redundant planetary voxel persistence model (or alternatively: stupidly believing that NQ had really HAD invented some never-before-seen data storage and retrieval methods) their 100% verbose dig record-keeping has come back to bite them in the arse. 

 

it might also be likely that they just can’t afford the bandwidth/processing capacity any longer given they are down to just a dozen or so still-paying customers, 😉 and have turned down the auto spool-up rate/ max number limit on their virtual servers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

Not sure what Gloria Estefan has to do with it...

 

but it’s likely that we are feeling their servers starting to strain under untenable load from all the digging that people have done. 
 

that is why finally... after years of people explaining to NQ the flawed nature of their ridiculously pointless-and-redundant planetary voxel persistence model (or alternatively: stupidly believing that NQ had really HAD invented some never-before-seen data storage and retrieval methods) their 100% verbose dig record-keeping has come back to bite them in the arse. 

 

it might also be likely that they just can’t afford the bandwidth/processing capacity any longer given they are down to just a dozen or so still-paying customers, 😉 and have turned down the auto spool-up rate/ max number limit on their virtual servers.

I guess he's trying to say people are addicted for whatever reason to DU.

 

A reason why they can't just fill up all those holes is because some people built bases in them, imagine if one of their 30 remaining subscribers lost their underground home they spent  days digging out. They can't afford to lose any more players lel.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2021 at 9:52 PM, Shulace said:

I guess he's trying to say people are addicted for whatever reason to DU.

 

A reason why they can't just fill up all those holes is because some people built bases in them, imagine if one of their 30 remaining subscribers lost their underground home they spent  days digging out. They can't afford to lose any more players lel.

 

 

Whoosh. that one went right over my head... LOL


As for the holes..

Solvable, like most problems... Just make a new ground element call them underground cores  in several sizes XS S M L that can be placed like static cores, or even make it a feature of current static cores themselves...and prevent "monthly tunnel collapse" within their cubes...   

Send an email to all the players giving fair warning to place these cores.

Build then place these units around or under your base and boom... instant bubble of protected voxels.

Also they could have made the tools dig smooth tubes instead of making tunnels that look like large intestines...  That way they could have simplified the surface details and massively reduce the amount of information required to faithfully store them... as well as giving us more useful tools for city building or right click "smooth options" in the menu that smooth out the geometry of all the voxels in a large sphere.... 

THey could have given us proper, squared off geometrical "structural" teraforming tools that can make flat surfaces at any angle, not just ground, instead of pock marked walls that look like they have a case of acne requiring kilo or even megabytes of storage instead of a few dozen bytes.

They all would have helped... 

But no, they gave us a bunch of sub-standard planetary voxel tools which have come back to bite them in the arse.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Thunderblaze said:

I haven't been getting this issue whereas another in my org is consistently. Their internet connection (and computer) isn't as good as mine (1gb up/down), and I suspect that may be part of it. 

 

 

I don't think so. I constantly get them, just got them several times a few minutes ago ... I noticed I got them more on Sinnen for some reason. Also my internet connection is 1GBps as well ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dug out a volume the size of half an M core yesterday with zero lag. Smooth as silk took about an hour. 
 

Thrice in the last week I have got the red voxel situation where you can’t paste voxels and it shows a “pending operation” error this is accompanied by the game ignoring voxel delete and cut commands. 
 

the only way to fix is drop to the desktop and reload the game. Dropping to the menu does not fix this for me. 
 

im based in Tokyo and do have a decent connection. But I used to constantly get pending operations last year when few of my team mates used to. 
 

I suspect there is some complicated interplay of connection/isp location and other factors involved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they should consider a long cylinder shaped tool for digging.  

 

There needs to be a way to increase digging speed, through talents, that doesn't achieve it through more operations per second.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neat update yesterday.  Fixed the problem of sometimes NOT getting "Pending Operation" while I'm digging out this meganode.  Pretty sweet.  I'll be enjoying this process for much much longer now, which will obviously save me the hassle of finding more ore to mine.  So...... hooray.....

 

@GraXXoR, I must apologize for previously scoffing at the bitterness;  I've got it all trained up now to lv5.  So, a rare thing here, an internet apology.  I was wrong.  You were right.  Womp womp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jizzlobber said:

Neat update yesterday.  Fixed the problem of sometimes NOT getting "Pending Operation" while I'm digging out this meganode.  Pretty sweet.  I'll be enjoying this process for much much longer now, which will obviously save me the hassle of finding more ore to mine.  So...... hooray.....

 

@GraXXoR, I must apologize for previously scoffing at the bitterness;  I've got it all trained up now to lv5.  So, a rare thing here, an internet apology.  I was wrong.  You were right.  Womp womp


No apology needed... 😉 We are all here because we are invested in the game, enjoy it (probably more than we should) and see such a great concept put at risk of failure and deletion. We just want it to succeed... So of course we can get a bit emotional at times... 

... Let's hope these mini patches keep on rolling in... I prefer a number of small patches to a half-yearly, server-breaking wad of changes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Discord:

 

Written by NQ-Deckard

 

Quote

So, what happens when you dig tunnels.

 

Every time you dig, your client alters the ground voxels and that happens immediately for you. It then asks the server to make the same alteration so that others see the same terrain. The server has a queue of those going on at all times and is constantly updating the terrain in different places all over the universe. If/when you dig really really quickly with large holes, those edits get queued and are waiting to be processed.

 

This is not only for you but for all players who are currently mining/digging/terraforming. If you log in at a peek time and there are hundreds of players digging at the same time. Everyone is adding to that queue, when the hamsters decide they have to much queued they tell the client. "Enough, wait please!" that is when you get a Pending Operation messages, as the server is pending multiple terrain edits that need to be processed before it can accept new ones.

 

This behaviour has changed somewhat and the process of handling one edit has become a little bit heavier with the recent voxel changes. Don't worry, they are still a good thing but it does mean that we need to look into how we will cope with the knock on effect. As such, during PTS testing there were simply not enough consecutive mining operations to really project this for us to anticipate and adjust for it. So hence why this is currently happening now from time to time, and we do rely on you (the community) to tell us when it gets bad so we can identify the cause, and try to improve the flow and find the bottlenecks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

So, what happens when you dig tunnels.

<snip>

This is not only for you but for all players who are currently mining/digging/terraforming. If you log in at a peek time and there are hundreds of players digging at the same time. Everyone is adding to that queue, when the hamsters decide they have to much queued they tell the client. "Enough, wait please!" that is when you get a Pending Operation messages, as the server is pending multiple terrain edits that need to be processed before it can accept new ones.

<snip>

 

The one thing I can deduct from that statement, is that if hundreds of players can overwhelm the servers then DU has some SERIOUS scaling issues.

Either that or NQ is renting way to few server nodes even for the small number of players we have now. Which when I think about it makes more sense..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

 

The one thing I can deduct from that statement, is that if hundreds of players can overwhelm the servers then DU has some SERIOUS scaling issues.

Either that or NQ is renting way to few server nodes even for the small number of players we have now. Which when I think about it makes more sense..

Been saying this for years. Server tech never ever in the history of du was shown to work properly. Kinda works here and there but at the same time doesn't work at all once more than 10 ppl gather up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...