Roll Back

BobbyTwoShakes

This game does not have enough content to support this current update. The idea was a correct step but executed prematurely. 

This game has a lot of potential. Was really enjoying it with groups of friends that havent found a common game to play in a very long time. 

Its a shame really but this patch just took the wind out of the sails.. 

The only solice of content was the ability to make creative builds. There really wasnt much else going on. 

On top of this from what I have seen in response to this update is that developers are not listening to their player base. Which i see as detrimental and destructive to the future of the game. Ive seen this path travelled many times. 

I understand that it is your vision to create. But there is always the customer to consider. 

Personally I would of considered this patch or better yet a (different concept to create the same effect) but much further when there was more foundation support it. Like more content in general. 

Best of luck with your future aspects of the game. Don't turn deaf ears to your players. Perhaps i will check back on this game sometime in the future. 

20 minutes ago, Revelcro said:

I wish they would just wipe it.  Rather start over than see this go on.

That would be the best situation. Level the field and make people truly collaborate at the same level. The economy gulf between the rich (older players) and the poor (new players) is too wide for the economy to work. 

33 minutes ago, Alpinesun said:

That would be the best situation. Level the field and make people truly collaborate at the same level. The economy gulf between the rich (older players) and the poor (new players) is too wide for the economy to work. 

Agree

Are you guys insane? If you think the crying is heavy now just wait to see how many tears come if you delete hundreds or even thousands of hours of resource collecting, moving dirt and creative energy put into building projects. People would lose the will to ever start again. These are the people who are not active on the forum after every patch complaining because they have been quietly producing beautiful and awe inspiring features on the land, sky and ocean.

A wipe will not fix anything, it will quite definitely destroy the game for anyone who plays it for creative purposes. The amount of effort that goes into finishing a creative project *read 'creative' not just a bunch of engines and airbrakes smashed together in a mess or a box with some factory units inside*, even for an M core ship, let alone a 25 L core building complex, is immense and we were led to believe that this world we are building will be persistent into the future of the DU universe. Not wiped out completely just because a few people cannot adapt and overcome a new limitation to their economic progress.

Sorry, but the creative people available are the supporters from the early days. Creative players who may have been around since beta can read them on one hand. It is not about what was asked for in surveys, e.g. Voxel Editor. It's about an economy symulatzion. With this patch and not responding to the community, another step towards doom has been taken.

23 minutes ago, Burble said:

Are you guys insane? If you think the crying is heavy now just wait to see how many tears come if you delete hundreds or even thousands of hours of resource collecting, moving dirt and creative energy put into building projects. People would lose the will to ever start again. These are the people who are not active on the forum after every patch complaining because they have been quietly producing beautiful and awe inspiring features on the land, sky and ocean.

In order to found the game or even profit from it, NQ needs to get new players and keep them. That's not going to happen if these hundreds or even thousands of hours of resource collecting during alpha and beta will not be deleted. Everybody may keep blueprints and skills (as long the training mechanics remains essentially unchanged) but everything else needs to be removed. Changes like this patch, that have a massive impact on the economy and individual progress, make it inevitable if the game shall not be doomed before launch.

26 minutes ago, Burble said:

A wipe will not fix anything, it will quite definitely destroy the game for anyone who plays it for creative purposes. The amount of effort that goes into finishing a creative project *read 'creative' not just a bunch of engines and airbrakes smashed together in a mess or a box with some factory units inside*, even for an M core ship, let alone a 25 L core building complex, is immense and we were led to believe that this world we are building will be persistent into the future of the DU universe. Not wiped out completely just because a few people cannot adapt and overcome a new limitation to their economic progress.

I'm not a huge fan of a wipe but allow me to explain that you described exactly what happened. 

Until a few days ago there was absolutely no reason to believe that what we were doing was about to be stripped of its value, as you said, we were led to believe that whatever we were doing was permanent.

There was also (apparently) no reason to rush in a certain direction, who cares if I spend 10 days designing the exterior of my base as long I have an "eternity" ahead to work on my wealth. That was true until last Q&A, now it couldn't be further from the truth.

In a matter of a few days after the announcement patch dropped, we plebs had no time to react, while silently ppl were stockpiling valuable items and money (the discussion about mass L core buying is at least 2 weeks old).

I don't know how I would react to a wipe, I spent a lot of time designing my base and my ships, but I had fun in doing that, and I would 100% do it again if needed, hell I'm into this game for building things.

My problem now is that my path as a builder is never been this distant from actually building things.

It's like if I've chosen to be a warrior but I'm now forced to wear cloth and cast spells, doesn't sounds this good to me, doesn't it?

What broke the economy?

Ships with 3 territory scanners and maganodes.

Take those two away and progress would have been slowed right down as the raw resources would not be available in the bulk needed to go nuts, but no, they reward the rich and kick everyone else in the nads.

I love to play, craft mess about - everything on my starter pad i built from the ore I dug up, now it's useless.

Good luck to all who can be bothered to stick about. My Un-sub won't mean anything till Jan 2021 but then, heck im just another statistic that does not fit in with thier deluded vision of the way forward.

6 hours ago, Alpinesun said:

Why every game I play, think/work hard to get something and then there is that guy that says "hey, I just joined, he has that I don't" let's wipe everything to have "equal playing field". You know, there are games with "To battle" button out there, you get equal playing ground every time you press it.

If there was no promise of "no wipe" I wouldn't join this game at all until release or whatever.

2 hours ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

In order to found the game or even profit from it, NQ needs to get new players and keep them. That's not going to happen if these hundreds or even thousands of hours of resource collecting during alpha and beta will not be deleted. Everybody may keep blueprints and skills (as long the training mechanics remains essentially unchanged) but everything else needs to be removed. Changes like this patch, that have a massive impact on the economy and individual progress, make it inevitable if the game shall not be doomed before launch.

It's not clear to me how removing almost all the players will help bring in new players. And that's what a wipe would do.

I played alpha knowing that everything I did except BPs would be wiped. I played toward having the best low level BPs I could so I could start quickly after the final wipe. The final wipe came at the start of beta and since then, I've played like it was real. No way in hell would I have built a 14 L core base in an environment where a wipe was expected. (I also didn't build it till the SZ where my tiles are was confirmed permanently safe.) Not sticking around if NQ goes back on those promises. I think that's probably true of most alpha players.

2 hours ago, Fra119 said:

I'm not a huge fan of a wipe but allow me to explain that you described exactly what happened. 

Until a few days ago there was absolutely no reason to believe that what we were doing was about to be stripped of its value, as you said, we were led to believe that whatever we were doing was permanent.

There was also (apparently) no reason to rush in a certain direction, who cares if I spend 10 days designing the exterior of my base as long I have an "eternity" ahead to work on my wealth. That was true until last Q&A, now it couldn't be further from the truth.

In a matter of a few days after the announcement patch dropped, we plebs had no time to react, while silently ppl were stockpiling valuable items and money (the discussion about mass L core buying is at least 2 weeks old).

I don't know how I would react to a wipe, I spent a lot of time designing my base and my ships, but I had fun in doing that, and I would 100% do it again if needed, hell I'm into this game for building things.

My problem now is that my path as a builder is never been this distant from actually building things.

It's like if I've chosen to be a warrior but I'm now forced to wear cloth and cast spells, doesn't sounds this good to me, doesn't it?

I really do see the problem for some of us there. I am not so selfish to not understand how horrible it must be to have all your factory work wasted right now. 

I just don't see how making even more people unhappy with a wipe will fix that

The game was not ready for this indeed. 

An endgame and side activities are currently missing from them game. Right now the game is a space

minecraft basically. You have 3 activities: Mining, Crafting, Building. PvP right now is nonexistent as an

activity and there is no pve content either. If you take away crafting then what does a new player do?

Answer is mine all day everyday until they can afford to build stuff by buying everything from the market.

This will not be enjoyable by the average player. If you consider these changes not from the perspective

of the average player but a hardcore player that does nothing else but play du then yes it might work for you.

I'm saying this as a player that has been playing du all day for 2 months now. Problem is if all the average

players leave you will be left alone in a dead game. Starters and casuals are crucial to keep the game alive.

All changes besides schematics were correct and needed. Element destruction alone was enough to jumpstart

and sustain the economy. Fix pvp on top of that and the market would work just fine. Mass production factories 

could be left to organizations. If these orgs had talents/buffs to mass produce stuff then small factories would 

not be able to match them in prices. As i mentioned in another post a quality factor for an item that was produced

from an org factory would make mass production all the more important, but people would still have their small 

factories being able to craft whatever they needed in small quantities even if they didnt have economic profit from

doing so. That is how it works on any mmo game why reinvent the wheel with this one?

My suggestion: Remove schematics for now and refund everyone who bought them since the prices are constant

and do it soon before the game dies. There is great potential at this game do not kill it like this.

50 minutes ago, Daphne Jones said:

It's not clear to me how removing almost all the players will help bring in new players.

It helps keeping them. Most new players will leave when they realise that there is no chance to catch up with a minority of players that occupy the economy. They would need to grind for them forever, just like irl - with the difference that they have to pay for it instead of beeing paid. It would be sad if the established player base leaves but if that is the prize for the game to survive than it must be payed. They would leave anyway if the game fails because there are not enough players to pay the bills.

3 hours ago, Ethariel said:

What broke the economy?

Ships with 3 territory scanners and maganodes.

Three?  No,  we do a lot more than 3.  Do you know what I do with our meganodes for the most part?  Sit on em. Keeping em for a rainy day or giving our guild members a week long project to do.  We were not making billions by any stretch of the imagination (I wish, I would buy up that stupid warp beacon schematic my bro needs).  

Speaking as probably one of the top (if not the) prospector in the game i'll let you in on a lil secret.  You know why I hoard meganodes?  It aint money.......I'm lazy.  I hate searching around the ground for ore.  Like a lot.  I just want to take one tunnel to a big deposit and grab what I need to keep my bro's factory running for a while and then leave the rest for next week.  Thats it.  And I got rediculously good at finding meganodes and so just started capping them around every planet, mostly because it beats mining.  Even handed them out to guild members and helped them scan.

Now my nodes all lost a huge portion of their chunks.  Oh well.

1 hour ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

It helps keeping them. Most new players will leave when they realise that there is no chance to catch up with a minority of players that occupy the economy. They would need to grind for them forever, just like irl - with the difference that they have to pay for it instead of beeing paid. It would be sad if the established player base leaves but if that is the prize for the game to survive than it must be payed. They would leave anyway if the game fails because there are not enough players to pay the bills.

There will always be new players who have to play catch up. That's the nature of MMOs. I hate use that POS game Eve as an example, but this certainly doesn't hurt Eve.

3 minutes ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

You didn't understand: Without a whipe there is no chance for new players to catch up. With the new mechanics they would need years to get what we got within months.

Years to get what a handful of players had before this patch. They don't really have that much now. All they have now is useless cash... only cash because their factories no longer work and useless because there's nothing on the markets to buy.

All I have is some ships I can't afford to fly and a pretty nice airport that took hundreds of hours to build - maybe more. I probably would not bother to replace it if there were a wipe. And then I might login once a year after that to see if the game had become worth playing.

Fortunately, JC has already said no wipe.

1 hour ago, Revelcro said:

Three?  No,  we do a lot more than 3.  Do you know what I do with our meganodes for the most part?  Sit on em. Keeping em for a rainy day or giving our guild members a week long project to do.  We were not making billions by any stretch of the imagination (I wish, I would buy up that stupid warp beacon schematic my bro needs).  

Speaking as probably one of the top (if not the) prospector in the game i'll let you in on a lil secret.  You know why I hoard meganodes?  It aint money.......I'm lazy.  I hate searching around the ground for ore.  Like a lot.  I just want to take one tunnel to a big deposit and grab what I need to keep my bro's factory running for a while and then leave the rest for next week.  Thats it.  And I got rediculously good at finding meganodes and so just started capping them around every planet, mostly because it beats mining.  Even handed them out to guild members and helped them scan.

Now my nodes all lost a huge portion of their chunks.  Oh well.

Didn't all the mega,s get a stealth nerf?

29 minutes ago, Maxim Kammerer said:

If that would be true, why should they care about a whipe? You are contradicting yourself.

I care about a wipe because I have hundreds of hours in an airport I built which I could not recover if it were wiped. My org has thousands... no tens of thousands of player hours in our city which also probably couldn't be restored. We put this time and effort in in the good faith belief that there would not be a wipe.

18 minutes ago, Revelcro said:

Yea. Hard.  I cant even begin to explain how many claimed hexes of mine just got whacked hard.  They wont be fixing this, this was intended to reduce ore in the game.

And with no mention in the patch notes. That was really low, NQ.