Jump to content
tristan

youtubers and their orgs

Recommended Posts

So if the game becomes like a huge hit like World of warcraft and such then the youtubers will join and their orgs will grow so quickly that our hardworked orgs will be for nothing because those youtubers please say that NQ has something for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that most successful orgs will be run by hardcore players. And most large youtubers do not tend to play hardcore in any game. Although their orgs will probably gain a ton of members, they probably won't be very organized & most of their members will play in hopes of being featured in a video, not for actually doing stuff in DU. I'm not sure about you, but I would rather be in a small elite hardcore org (around 20-80 players) that are able to calculate their efforts to complete almost anything, instead of a large unorganized org (1000+ players) owned by a youtuber who is just playing DU for fun. That's my $0.02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this would be a problem because.....?

More players = more gameplay = more fun.

 

Why should orgs which are founded now get some kind of protection? If your org can't adapt to new situations or If you can't keep up with others then just change things. 

 

Some large org kills your members constantly? Move to another planet or try to make their lives as hard as possible

 

Some players run the market and install a monopol there in certain goods because of their large backbone? Get their supply lines or move to another product

 

Can't really see a problem there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta agree with Lethys, there's plenty of ways for players to deal with this. Also youtubers getting in WHEN ITS POPULAR also means they werent there from the start so their whole crew will lack experience with the game and most likely not be a factor until they have learned it better. At which point established orgs might already have holds of certain markets, thoroughly tested combat doctrines and what not that gives them an advantage still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a real thread?

Numbers matter only if you do zerg tactics. DU is not a game where Zerg tactics pay off, if anything Zerg tactics wil lbleed your bank empty in DU. Try and fight a war without having money, I'm sure it will work just fine.

Also, Youtuber communities are easily the most volatile ones.

Here's a simple plan for destroying a youtuber's community.

Step 1 : Record them out of context saying the N-Word, C-Word, P-Word, F-Word or any derogatory term about latinos, africans, caucassians, asians and shit, even Australians - we all know Australia is a fake country anyway, a girl on youtube said so, so it must be true. #flat-earth #NASA-is-fake

Step 2 : Publish the video, wait for the Youtube Neural Network to take a whiff of that negativity and then wait for Polygon to write a clickbait piece on said youtuber, with such Pulitzer-worthy titles as "[Youtuber Name] are NAZI supporters".

Step 3 : Make a catchy #hashtag and ask the youtuber's advertisement firms to shut them down.

Step 4 : Make a Sub-Reddit where you parallelize the youtuber with Keemstar, so Keemstar brings them on Drama Alert so the Youtuber eventually loses their mind and starts going mental on Twitter after Keemstar is done spreading lies on how the youtuber is a Pedophile.

Step 5 : Watch how the SJWs inside the youtuber's community begin a civil war that tears them apart.

Step 6 : Win.

Youtuber communities are a joke. Any community built around a personality is a joke.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO most orgs built around worshiping one or a small number of people wont work, simply because they:

 

1) are unlikely to be organised at all times, so wont be very effective in combat

 

2) will have so many small and different ideas coming from the bottom of the hierarchy  that nothing really gets done and everyone just focuses on small projects that wont affect everyone playing DU

 

3) excluding high functioning sheeple, the people that make up a youtuber's fan base will probably have other friends that they want to play with that they actually know unlike everyone else from that youtuber's fanbase, and so while their org size will be large, no one will actually be contributing much to any collective projects unless their god is currently streaming.

Tl;DR: most youtuber orgs will be too disorganised to do anything useful in the long run

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DU and WoW can´t even be compared.

If some WoW YouTuber creates a guild for his fans, he can literally stop doing things for it right there and the guild is not harmed in any way. Just put bunch of officers who you trust and they can handle everything that is needed to manage it, because guilds in WoW are pretty much just places for people to hang out and do fun things together.

Organizations in DU are completely different. The big ones will pretty much resemble real life nations (just in smaller scale), with their own economy, laws, military and law enforcement. They will require so much effort on the side of leaders that anyone who is not able to come and deal with problems 24/7, will not be able to be effective leader (once again, just like in real world). And unless those YouTubers dedicate their whole time to this game, they won´t be able to do that.

 

Mark my words, the people who will rise up to the positions of leadership in huge factions (maybe with exception of factions which act as disorganized group of people with same playstyle, like Band of Outlaws, for example) will be no-lifers, people who (for various reasons) can´t work and therefore have tons of free time with little responsibilities outside their house and maybe even retired people. Not YouTubers who visit tons of events, play many games and do activities with their fans in videogames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dorlas said:

DU and WoW can´t even be compared.

If some WoW YouTuber creates a guild for his fans, he can literally stop doing things for it right there and the guild is not harmed in any way. Just put bunch of officers who you trust and they can handle everything that is needed to manage it, because guilds in WoW are pretty much just places for people to hang out and do fun things together.

Organizations in DU are completely different. The big ones will pretty much resemble real life nations (just in smaller scale), with their own economy, laws, military and law enforcement. They will require so much effort on the side of leaders that anyone who is not able to come and deal with problems 24/7, will not be able to be effective leader (once again, just like in real world). And unless those YouTubers dedicate their whole time to this game, they won´t be able to do that.

 

Mark my words, the people who will rise up to the positions of leadership in huge factions (maybe with exception of factions which act as disorganized group of people with same playstyle, like Band of Outlaws, for example) will be no-lifers, people who (for various reasons) can´t work and therefore have tons of free time with little responsibilities outside their house and maybe even retired people. Not YouTubers who visit tons of events, play many games and do activities with their fans in videogames.

Who said the Band of Outlaws is disorganised? O_o

Seems to me our Meme Factory works on the clock :P .

And while every other org suffers from inner drama, the Band of Outlaws is just a utopia. That's cause of our Zero Drama Policy. 

So... yeah, we are organised and have rules. It's just our people respect the rules and we don't have to whip them every 30 seconds to remind them about the rules. Why do they respect them rules? Cause of our Zero Drama Policy :) The almighty banhammer is always at the ready to vanquish drama queens. 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

So... yeah, we are organised and have rules. It's just our people respect the rules and we don't have to whip them every 30 seconds to remind them about the rules. Why do they respect them rules? Cause of our Zero Drama Policy :) The almighty banhammer is always at the ready to vanquish drama queens.

By disorganized I mostly meant that you don´t seem to have plans to create a formal structure and (for the lack of better word) country once the game starts, but rather act as group that covers like-minded players. That doesn´t mean you don´t stand together behind single purpose of creating the dankest of memes :D

 

Shame I am into those great empires so much and therefore would probably not enjoy the playstyle you guys want to have, because you seem like a really cool group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dorlas said:

By disorganized I mostly meant that you don´t seem to have plans to create a formal structure and (for the lack of better word) country once the game starts, but rather act as group that covers like-minded players. That doesn´t mean you don´t stand together behind single purpose of creating the dankest of memes :D

 

Shame I am into those great empires so much and therefore would probably not enjoy the playstyle you guys want to have, because you seem like a really cool group.

You clearly didn't notice we are the only ones with a plan to build a proper city with other orgs also welcome to shape the future of Tortuga.

Yes, we are actively pursuing making a freeport called Tortuga. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where the initial issue is or where the fears are.

 

Was never a classic "Youtuber fanboy" of some person who always tried to be "present", take part, voice opinions, or even zealously defend said person. I'm mostly a passive consumer. Show me good content, I watch, I leave a like or maybe a comment on occasion. And sometimes, if a Youtuber shows an interesting community or server (that was there to begin with, not made by the YTer), I might check that out.

 

Why that explanation? It basically means that, while I wasn't some kind of "first level fanboy" I think I got enough impressions to see that especially large and known Youtubers can have odd communities, or odd people among it. As some others here assume or say, I think in the end it can be rather volatile. What would unite most if those ... fans were in some faction? The person(s), first and foremost. So it's kinda like a cult of personality. And then you have vastly different kinds of people, from kids to adults and various playstyles. And then, of course, a lot depends on the personality and target demographic of the Youtuber.

 

But I still kind of think that if a known Youtuber were to rally fans for some DU campaign, it might most notably attract those who want to be close to their "idol". While there might be plenty of reasonable "fans" who simply join to take a look or simply take part to have fun, you can never rule out the zealous, crazed "groupies" who might create more trouble than help in the long run, or simply give up upon organized resistance.

 

On the other hand, you could argue that you might have to face a large playerbase because of the potential high number input and the large fanbase that could be utilized against you, if you were to become enemies.

 

I see pros and cons, but in the end you can still say that (known) Youtubers are also people with weaknesses. You could even argue that stirring the pot might be easier due to so many angles you could go at, given the large size of the adversary and the not so homogeneous community behind it, and potential lack of long-term cohesion.

 

--------------------------

 

To summarize or rephrase key aspects:

 

- I see no reason to worry, for aforementioned reasons I doubt large Youtubers appearing with their communities might be a problem in general

- With the right effort and mindset, they could be "dismantled" or crippled over time, thus overcome as obstacle if hostile tensions were to arise

- They might as well, maybe, be or turn into a big problem for some (their enemies) if they can manage to bring a steady supply of people and more

 

- Maybe just like your average large faction?

 

On the plus side, large Youtubers mean more media coverage of DU, thus more players. We kinda benefit from that. Closing note, detached from personal aspects:

 

Good for the game, not really problematic for the community.

 

You can already expect plenty of known YTers to cover the game and bring their fans aboard, if DU will be remotely successful and bind players for a few months at the very least. Given the idea of the game, I think we can even manage the very known Youtubers and their usually large communities, should they set foot on Alioth and beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Youtubers will be positive to give exposure to the game and they will be free advertising. More players->more attractive game ->more income for the devs -> further development of DU-> good for us all! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Costanius said:

Youtubers will be positive to give exposure to the game and they will be free advertising. More players->more attractive game ->more income for the devs -> further development of DU-> good for us all! :)

 

Good for all but those who happen to get into the crosshairs of (larger, unhomogenous) Youtubers or their fanbase, though :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of experience numbers can be a winning factor if the media figure decides to do things right.

 

CaptainShack from TheXPgamers already has 300,000 subscribers and a large twitter following as well.  You think your small group will be able to compete with that?  He is already a gold founder and has a group here in case people didn't know.

 

Nonetheless I am thinking that the orgs out here need to put more work into recruiting & planning for game release.  Will take alot of work to get your organization to compete with those large numbers but some dedication and focus will make it achievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TheMasterArchitect said:

ill take alot of work to get your organization to compete with those large numbers but some dedication and focus will make it achievable.

 

If your (organization) goal is to compete with them in the first place... that is.

 

Not everyone has to go for the full cake - or can. Sometimes, you can and should be fine by having your own slice, and keeping that might be more than a challenge.

 

Unless you mean the above in a way that you kinda always have to compete because of a presence large orgs can exert over other groups, smaller or not, passively or indirectly at least. Still, sometimes it's not even any direct or notable competition anymore, because of different goals or interests, or styles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More people is good for business, both in terms of NQ getting more subs, and me lining my pockets with the pretend quanta money of the witless masses :3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 2:25 AM, tristan said:

So if the game becomes like a huge hit like World of warcraft and such then the youtubers will join and their orgs will grow so quickly that our hardworked orgs will be for nothing because those youtubers please say that NQ has something for this.

It's not a big deal in term of Organization because in my opinion it's not about how big the size is, but it's about what the do in the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's too easy to just brush YouTube Orgs aside as 'oriented around a single person' or 'Youtubers are a joke' as they are not (as a rule).

 

Several Youtube channels have very well organized communities which I know will enter DU when it goes public They come several thousand strong with a core group which will be able to establish themselves quickly with proper top down management structure. Their Youtube 'outlet' will easily hit 1500+ viewers when live.

 

There is nothing wrong with that as they will supply a strong, quick and steady base for a lot of new players to flow into where a number of currently 'active' orgs very much are really disorganized and I predict will fall apart because the org leadership really has no idea about what it is like to run an org in game (it's all fun and games right now).

 

Of course there will be the trolls and quick fame seekers, but quite a few will provide a fundamental and productive contribution to the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Organisations and communities also constantly change. Big Youtubers may bring in many new playersin in the beginning, but many will just check on the game and move on then, not all of them will stay with the game. Especially when the Youtuber moves on to the next games. Only when the dust settles after release, probably after some months, we'll see how many players really will stick with the game and pay a monthly sub.

Now with Star Citizen 3.0 out and improving there is also another SchFi-MMO on the market people interested in SciFi-MMOs will probably check out and go to as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, @ said:

It's not a big deal in term of Organization because in my opinion it's not about how big the size is, but it's about what the do in the game

yeah ok everyone thanks for the replies and no lethys and zed I do not mean that the orgs need some kind of protection I would never agree to that all I am saying is that it's a  possibility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, let's put it that way: Regulating specific groups of players would simply be racist and could cause real legal problems for Novaquark and is therefore completly of the table in any form.

Also it would violate the core principle of DU: Success through teamplay.

YouTubers have an advantage over other corp owners that they have a (more or less) big community and could therefore create a corp with a lot of members really fast, BUT only because you are a YouTuber doesn't mean you are good at the game, at organising a corp, etc. (as already mentioned here).

Also, do you know any multiplayer game where a or several YouTubers "broke" or otherwise caused relevant problems to the game itself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...