So what Style of ships would you build or buy?

guttertrash

I don't mean functionally but aesthetically what would be your particular flavor of choice? 

For me i would favor ships that would be kind of like rat rods, junkers, minmatar like ships, ones that look like rickety pieces of junk that manage to do a job with minimal excess 

I'd also be really excited to see ones inspired by but not direct copies of romulan ships from star trek tng, they always looked the coolest 

Post-Impressionism.

LOL I love that response, it hurts my brain trying to imagine what those ships would look like but i applaud your bold choice

I guess something similar to the Vasari race from Sins of a Solar Empire.

Those are slick looking, i've never seen that game before... *adds to watch list waits for steam sale* :)

LOL I love that response, it hurts my brain trying to imagine what those ships would look like but i applaud your bold choice

Those are slick looking, i've never seen that game before... *adds to watch list waits for steam sale* :)

Easily my all time favorite RTS space game. absolutely phenomenal, and the mod community is great too. I highly recommend it.

I'll prolly have ships similar to those in Pardus

If you don't know what Pardus is, it's a free browser game in space, which is surprisingly similar to dual, in terms of emergent politics/economy. The graphics are a bit primitive but it's still a fun time-killer.

Everyone has different taste. There's no final answer to this question. Some ships may sell more than others, for sure. However I think you are going to have to wait until the game launches to find out which ones do. (Unless you get everyone on the forums to post images of their favorite ships)

One design I made messing with Blender:

http://linkarcher.deviantart.com/art/Another-Spaceplane-623331192

I have no idea whether wings will actually do anything useful or how closely I can match the appearance in general but I like spaceplanes.

Nice. Like you said who knows if wings will be useful... You should try making it in in KSP though as an SSTO.

I'm ready to sacrifice aesthetics completely, if doing that I can improve a ship functionality even by 0.1%. But in case I'll have a certain margin to personalize that, I'll try to do something original, maybe vertical? Or to move pipes on the outside of the ship(if there's no local damage)? Or maybe something similar to an ancient and classic building (so opposed to scifi) like the Parthenon?

Everyone has different taste. There's no final answer to this question. Some ships may sell more than others, for sure. However I think you are going to have to wait until the game launches to find out which ones do. (Unless you get everyone on the forums to post images of their favorite ships)

My motivation was just to have a friendly chat and show and tell about what we like, so many styles of sci-fi, and who knows someone may see something they never saw before and get inspired. No wrong answers just a matter of taste. for the purpose of this discussion lets assume that the shape/design of a ship wont have any effect on game play 

Nice. Like you said who knows if wings will be useful... You should try making it in in KSP though as an SSTO.

I have made SSTOs in Kerbal, though I'm not entirely sure how to replicate the look of this thing.  I suppose I might be able to arrange some wings and panels to approximate the profile but I get the feeling this thing is going to Kraken itself to death as soon as I try to exceed mach 2.  Of course the SR-71 is always a good starting point when aerodynamics matter and crazy hybrid fusion drives aren't available.

Certainly something very streamlined and beautiful. Think big massive ships peacefully floating through space, and capable of unloading hell if need be. Something like a Beluga Liner loaded with guns and missiles.

c0e5f29c-0473-4b52-be25-fd81b4585b2f.png

Or Majestic-Class Interdictors, but more powerful mayhaps. :)

2466x2468.jpg