Jump to content

TRY THE GAME FOR FREE ON STEAM - discussion thread


NQ-Wanderer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Only complaint I have, is you really should have bots selling warp cells and scrap on the demo server.

 

Without being able to warp, new players probably won't want to go try out asteroid hunting, or fly to other planets to explore. Telling them to slowboat for 3 hours, doing nothing, is too much of an ask for someone your trying to convince the game is fun. XD

 

And scrap is needed, if nothing else, so players can see what repairing their ship is like, when they inevitably crash. I know they could just build a new ship if they crash, because everything is so cheap, but it'll still piss off new players. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fair point on the scrap and warp. Might have to actually get a repair unit =D

 

My primary concern is that players should be more forewarned about just *how* accelerated the gameplay is.

 

Also, I'm logged in on my main who definitely has a live account. Not sure what the restriction is mentioned? Maybe because I don't own it "on Steam"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like that the tables are different - things like Territory Units are craftable in a Medium unit using all Tier 1 materials (which you can make in your nanopack).  Still takes 8 hours to cook one - which is a good chunk of a demo week.  However this should be called out someplace so people don't freak when they get to the real servers.

 

Found it odd that Sanctuary exist given that nobody will have STUs.  I suppose its useful for surface mining Natron and Chromium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to still need to earn something to go on but maybe make it easier using dispenser to give materials. If people can reach and try everything faster the server can be reaetted more often.

 

I complained about the new prices but at least you are giving something here.

let'ssee how the future will look like

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Cybob19 said:

I doubt you can surface farm on it without a claim, probably just less work to leave it in.

 You can surface farm any of the reserved tiles around the spaceports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cybob19 said:

I doubt you can surface farm on it without a claim, probably just less work to leave it in.

 

You can surface farm all the reserved tiles around markets and spaceports.

 

Ah... sorry for the double post.  Alas, don't see an option to delete.

Edited by Pleione
Double post
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't brave enough to link my steam account to a real DU character but CheekyFreeloader had some fun trying this out and it was working pretty well for me.  There are a surprising number of tiles already claimed on Haven.

 

Are the TCU ingredient changes just for this demo version or is this a spoiler?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Zeddrick said:

I wasn't brave enough to link my steam account to a real DU character but CheekyFreeloader had some fun trying this out and it was working pretty well for me.  There are a surprising number of tiles already claimed on Haven.

 

Are the TCU ingredient changes just for this demo version or is this a spoiler?

 

My understanding from Discord conversations is that these changes, hopefully simply table entries, are just for the demo.  Wouldn't make sense, for example, to require an uncommon ingredients to build a TU that would require 30-40 hours of building to make, just to have it reset in a week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pleione said:

 

My understanding from Discord conversations is that these changes, hopefully simply table entries, are just for the demo.  Wouldn't make sense, for example, to require an uncommon ingredients to build a TU that would require 30-40 hours of building to make, just to have it reset in a week. 

Yes, but they're selling large engines, metalwork industry and a whole load of other things for around 150h each.  TCUs could be one of those things if they just wanted people to try them out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Zeddrick said:

Yes, but they're selling large engines, metalwork industry and a whole load of other things for around 150h each.  TCUs could be one of those things if they just wanted people to try them out.

 

Given a weekly wipe, I suspect they will tweak the tables routinely.  At least I hope to god these are table driven factors and not hard coded.  Its one thing to customize a table, its another to maintain 2 divergent source trees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NQ-Wanderer said:

Please share your thoughts with us on the free trial in the thread below 👇

Would love to test & provide feedback...
But it isn't available in Brazil yet.

I know I'm not relevant as 1 player but I'll very probably unsubscribe and forget about this game altogether... it's been several months I'm waiting for an opportunity to play it, but from what I researched there's no interest in actually making it available in South America.

Hope this changes someday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Zahler said:

Here's what I see on Steam:
image.png.308b2885d895431393f165d5aa43989c.png

I backed the game on Kickstarter and would love to play on Steam too. Will I get a Steam key?

 

There doesn't appear to be a steam key, steam simply installs the game in its space and then launches.  Once launched you log-in as usual.  All access appears to be via time codes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Pleione said:

 

My understanding from Discord conversations is that these changes, hopefully simply table entries, are just for the demo.  Wouldn't make sense, for example, to require an uncommon ingredients to build a TU that would require 30-40 hours of building to make, just to have it reset in a week. 

My rebuttal to that, is why only change a single recipe in the game specifically for the demo, when they sell you the item anyway? They have T4 and T5 recipes that you'd have zero chance of ever making in a week. Plus, the crafting times, and cost/time to make for the schematics are the same. If they wanted it to be easier for new players to try out industry, they would have reduced those as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why even have a server for free players why not just have them come two official server and give them x amount of days free why hide them from the real game where we can show them around and help someone trying the game out  maybe give them

some basic material two try building  and a starter ship  after those days are up if they don’t sub everything disappears 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Zireaa said:

Why even have a server for free players why not just have them come two official server and give them x amount of days free why hide them from the real game where we can show them around and help someone trying the game out  maybe give them

some basic material two try building  and a starter ship  after those days are up if they don’t sub everything disappears 

 

Because then a) the live server gets filled up with rubbish from players that stay for 2 weeks and then never log on again, and b) because everyone will have infinite alts to abuse endlessly, which would completely unbalance the game.

 

There is nothing stopping you from joining the free server if you want to help potential new players out.

 

The current setup is pretty much the best option NQ could have come up with, and we should probably give them due credit for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zireaa said:

Why even have a server for free players why not just have them come two official server and give them x amount of days free why hide them from the real game where we can show them around and help someone trying the game out  maybe give them

some basic material two try building  and a starter ship  after those days are up if they don’t sub everything disappears 

 

So that it can't happen again like it did at the start of the beta in 2020. A lot of people who left just left their speeder all over the place at the beginning and that brought the performance in those areas to its knees, which wasn't really a good experience for anyone. Unless they can offer a better solution or performance, that's the right approach. 

 

Even if it were only a few days, that would be very counterproductive if someone who finds out after 1 hour that the game is not for him and then it sits there for X days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The performance were impact by those leaving things at the market, and it still happens. A speeder here and there doesn't make the difference, you don't even load all of them. Using max construct to load at the minimum still gives trouble with performances.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

 

Because then a) the live server gets filled up with rubbish from players that stay for 2 weeks and then never log on again, and b) because everyone will have infinite alts to abuse endlessly, which would completely unbalance the game.

 

There is nothing stopping you from joining the free server if you want to help potential new players out.

 

The current setup is pretty much the best option NQ could have come up with, and we should probably give them due credit for this.

 

Even without abuse how long would it take for paying players to tire of cleaning up all the abandoned speeders and failed builds?  Not to mention future paying players would be further from markets.

 

3 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

 

So that it can't happen again like it did at the start of the beta in 2020. A lot of people who left just left their speeder all over the place at the beginning and that brought the performance in those areas to its knees, which wasn't really a good experience for anyone. Unless they can offer a better solution or performance, that's the right approach. 

 

Even if it were only a few days, that would be very counterproductive if someone who finds out after 1 hour that the game is not for him and then it sits there for X days.

 

3 hours ago, Aviator1280 said:

The performance were impact by those leaving things at the market, and it still happens. A speeder here and there doesn't make the difference, you don't even load all of them. Using max construct to load at the minimum still gives trouble with performances.

 

The performance problems in the earlier stages of Beta had more to do with massive tangles of tunnels crisscrossing almost every tile, owned or not.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...