PVP VS NON PVP

kleves

I want this game to be the go to game. I like it. I know all your PVP attack anyone that asks a question about non pvp. I have been here a long time too. I am not young I have been gaming since they were invented. I will join a large org.  and find the spot I like to play. pvp is not a turn off for me. even though it already has players camping just outside safe zones looking for small ships that cross the line. why is that? are the players that do that scared to fight a ship that can fire back? I have been trying to get friends and players from every game i play to join us here. the first and many times the last question they ask me is Is it all PVP when i say yes they get turned off and start saying how its always the same thing. new players are targeted by long time players. I think a game that only goes one way will only ever have one side of the dollar. Dollars pay for the Game it grows or dies with dollars bottom line. so attack my view if you can't see it. but both ways make it easy for me to get people to join us.

Bluntly based on the lore of the game no pirates would have made the trip. I mean they would send the best people from Earth if they had to send anyone and people whose sole ambition in life is to steal other peoples stuff just wouldn't have been allowed near the ark ships period. So lore-wise pirates based on the colonist sent to out should not exist. There's no lore to support them at all as all pirates would have been the first to get burned alive when Earth blew up or what not.

Knowing humans and how they think I am pretty sure lore-wise Earth would have sent an existing government entity to help settle the colony and police it. Who else built all the markets - those government folks sent to run the colonies.

Where PvP should exist is between Organizations which would have people actively supporting their beliefs in the direction the new colonies should go. So PvP should exist but only between Org members and only during Org sanctioned events mainly due to a FFA would bring the ire of the colony government and offending parties would be banned from the markets - easy enough, the offender's claims would be relinquished because humans like to take "bad guy's" things, and their rep would be at a point where if they showed up armed in colony space they'd be reacted to as a criminal threat.

So lore-wise PvP should be an exception and not a FFA affair.  The current state of PvP is an offence against the current lore.

50 minutes ago, BaconofWar said:

Bluntly based on the lore of the game no pirates would have made the trip. I mean they would send the best people from Earth if they had to send anyone and people whose sole ambition in life is to steal other peoples stuff just wouldn't have been allowed near the ark ships period. So lore-wise pirates based on the colonist sent to out should not exist. There's no lore to support them at all as all pirates would have been the first to get burned alive when Earth blew up or what not.

Knowing humans and how they think I am pretty sure lore-wise Earth would have sent an existing government entity to help settle the colony and police it. Who else built all the markets - those government folks sent to run the colonies.

Where PvP should exist is between Organizations which would have people actively supporting their beliefs in the direction the new colonies should go. So PvP should exist but only between Org members and only during Org sanctioned events mainly due to a FFA would bring the ire of the colony government and offending parties would be banned from the markets - easy enough, the offender's claims would be relinquished because humans like to take "bad guy's" things, and their rep would be at a point where if they showed up armed in colony space they'd be reacted to as a criminal threat.

So lore-wise PvP should be an exception and not a FFA affair.  The current state of PvP is an offence against the current lore.

Completely agreed.

You can agree  with and think what you want.  The game is goinng to have free for all combat.

Org only combat not only also stops piracy, independent and small scale duels, bounty work, acts of revenge, etc.

This is a game of chess and you are just sitting there tutting at people taking your pieces while you play with the nice horsey.

1 hour ago, BaconofWar said:

Bluntly based on the lore of the game no pirates would have made the trip. I mean they would send the best people from Earth ...

Or they ran a bunch of competitions and contests and got the most competitive people as the winners. Or it was a conspiracy to ship all the sociopaths out to a new world: there was no imminent extinction event and that's how humanity achieved a peaceful society on Earth.

The lore behind the game is as holey as my granny's crocheted antimacassars. We have nanotech, but no Internet. We can teleport solid matter, and levitate potentially millions of ton of spaceship with our suit but there are no tractor/pressor beams on spaceships or long distance teleport pads. There exists a scanning and recording mechanism sufficiently precise to be able to send a spec to a fabricator that is capable of printing a new body, its mind, memory and personalities in the space of a few seconds. But it's impossible to get a lock on to a quarter kilometer ship more than 160km away. A territory unit can stop anyone digging the ground for half a click round it, but ships don't have protective shields.

Gold makes good armour.

Don't lean on the lore. It will fall over.

5 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Why do people buy into games that offer gameplay they do not want and then start complaining about it afterwards?

"This great new type of bread has a distinct vanilla flavour"

"Great, I will take two"

"Here you go"

"I don't like the vanilla flavour, can you make bread without it?"

If you do not want PVP be a part of games you play that's fine but do not buy in to games which clearly and openly show PVP is an integral part of said games.

If you feel PVP currently is not balanced that's different, be constructive and bring arguments to the table as well as idea on how it can be better for everyone.

My thoughts exactly. Its confirmed pvp is here.  Its confirmed safe zones will be small compared to rest of the game world. So those discussions are rather meaningless.  Now for pvp balance I'm all for that discussion and open minded for many ideas. As the balance will going on until server shuts down. Even tho I'm a pvp that kills anything, I do think there should be sufficient choices for those looking to evade in pvp zones.  Whatever those mechanics to be. Nothing should be 100% on each side. But if a player is well prepared, and very knowledgeable, should have a good chance of evading people in pvp zone. How we get to a point like that is TBD.

5 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

I wonder why you seem to feel a need to resort to petty insults and personal attacks.

I wonder why you backed a game with open world pvp, and feel the need to come to the forums and say the developers are wrong and change the fundamentals that been stated since kickstarter. 

2 hours ago, Anopheles said:

This is a game of chess and you are just sitting there tutting at people taking your pieces while you play with the nice horsey.

This is not chess. I would sit down to a game of chess with you any time and show you how it differs. Do you know what the horsey is?

4 minutes ago, kleves said:

so you don't know the game but you have a dictionary. ok got ya thanks for coming in.

Thank you for coming in, not reading up enough about a game you paid money for and then wasting your and everyone's else's time weeping into your pillow and sobbing that the game will not change direction for you.

4 hours ago, BaconofWar said:

Wow you have a highly idealistic view of humanity. It must be nice to have lead such a sheltered life.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:03 AM, kleves said:

PvP is great for people that love it. Not everyone likes it. Can we have it both ways? armed ships vs cargo ships. Or is it just going to be a game for one class of player. I would like to see a option to be free of ganks. because some people in this world can not be happy unless they are ganking others. and some people would like to have a time sink that has some reward for time spent that is not ripped away the first time they go outside.

Simple.  Stay in the safe zone.

No worries about getting ganked.

No risk, no worry.

22 hours ago, BaconofWar said:

Bluntly based on the lore of the game no pirates would have made the trip. I mean they would send the best people from Earth

As we know, the lore says a spot on the ARK ship was based on a lottery. Also, human nature dictates that where opportunity beckons there will be those that choose "the dark side" so no, I do not agree that he Lore goes against the existence of pirates and bandits, the latter really being a better term here as pirates historically were honorable and only took what they needed to survive and not just killed whatever came in front of their guns.

It is clearly NQs vision that combat serves a purpose on a larger scale to resolve disputes between orgs/states when all else fails, they pretty much said as much. But that in no way takes away the reality and viability of outlaws and bandits who will engage in local and small scale skirmishes for their own benefit.

You can bring in Lore all you want but it simply is no argument in this context.

7 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

why you backed a game

Back? hardly. $20 is a pittance especially for 3 months of game time. It's sandbox/factory building has provided decently entertaining so far, and even if I quit playing it tomorrow, I'd look back fondly on my time and consider that well spent.

11 hours ago, kleves said:

I want this game to be the go to game. I like it. I know all your PVP attack anyone that asks a question about non pvp...

This is a reasonable perspective. 

Stop attacking people that ask or complain about PVP...it really won't help if the DU community has a bad reputation before the game even launches. Someone shouldn't post here expecting to get attacked for stating their opinion about a game...

If the way PVP will work in this game was really so obvious, people wouldn't be here complaining or asking questions.

Consumers don't do in-depth research before they buy, they buy from emotion. Plenty of players have only ever watched the beta launch trailer...if they churn and subs plummet because they fear how PvP will work, it's everyone that suffers.

IMHO the discussion should be steered to "what happens after you blow up"? 

There's plenty of ways to make being ganked a less soul-crushing experience without making the game "easy" -- I'm sure NQ will figure it out, but if this is a community-driven game, it'll be hard to grow if the community has a toxic rep...

29 minutes ago, Emptiness said:

Back? hardly. $20 is a pittance especially for 3 months of game time. It's sandbox/factory building has provided decently entertaining so far, and even if I quit playing it tomorrow, I'd look back fondly on my time and consider that well spent.

Fair enough but some consider that backing as its not a finished game. Admittedly the lines are so blurred these days between alpha/beta/release who knows.

Just now, michaelk said:

This is a reasonable perspective. 

Stop attacking people that ask or complain about PVP...it really won't help if the DU community has a bad reputation before the game even launches. Someone shouldn't post here expecting to get attacked for stating their opinion about a game...

If the way PVP will work in this game was really so obvious, people wouldn't be here complaining or asking questions.

Consumers don't do in-depth research before they buy, they buy from emotion. Plenty of players have only ever watched the beta launch trailer...if they churn and subs plummet because they fear how PvP will work, it's everyone that suffers.

IMHO the discussion should be steered to "what happens after you blow up"? 

There's plenty of ways to make being ganked a less soul-crushing experience without making the game "easy" -- I'm sure NQ will figure it out, but if this is a community-driven game, it'll be hard to grow if the community has a toxic rep...

People will always complain.  Everyone over uses the word toxic. Things are hyperbole these days.  But people who post/whine about pvp dont get a free pass. PvP is here to stay and is in continued development.  Imagine if the roles were reversed and I want to the forums of a PVE game and did nothing but complain why there isnt pvp or open world pvp?  That's what is happening here a decent amount.  I'm not talking about balancing pvp issues, but the fact some are against the open world pvp aspect.

21 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Why do people buy into games that offer gameplay they do not want and then start complaining about it afterwards?

My suspicion is simply that there is NOTHING else out there that brings the other elements to the table like this game does.  The market is pretty bereft of offerings and I found myself mostly playing Space Engineers had this not come along and even that was starting to get stale no matter how many mods I threw on the pile.

if all the other facets of the game were terrible, such as ship building, industries, talent tree design, voxel deformation based terraforming etc..if all of those were subpar aspects of gameplay but PVP combat was exceptional, then I think the only people even chatting in this forum would be hard core pvp folks.

The game offers enough elements that as a package cant' be found anywhere else that it is going to draw a diverse crowd.

I'm personally on the fence and reserving judgement until there are more specifics on actual mechanics, inter-safe zone travel etc.  I've done my share of 3d newtonian based physics pvp in a very old game called Jumpgate, but I'm just getting too old for it anymore.  With that said, I understand the appeal.

18 hours ago, kleves said:

so you don't know the game but you have a dictionary. ok got ya thanks for coming in.

My irony meter just broke..... you owe me a new one

Still confused why we are arguing over a pvp zone which is completely optional for players to enter, in a game where the main pvp mechanics have not even been properly outlined, let alone confirmed.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:39 AM, HangerHangar said:

With current mechanics it will be very difficult for "unsponsored" players to do much.   Including both new players and returning players.

it’s a big ask to get a new player into the equivalent of a 0.0 Corp in the month or two it takes them to empty their sanctuary claim, or a returning player in a day or two to return to a 0.0 equivalent Corp since their sanctuary claim is already emptied out.

The game also lacks the permeable boarder that EVE has with a large green/yellow/red boarder, and Wormhole systems that increase those number of systems in both mass (number of exits)/randomness.

A month, heh.  I sat around while I watched a single player empty out 3 claims in two weeks.  Then again, he was a hard charging, maybe 4 hours of sleep type.

But yeah, us normies... probably a month, I guess that's right. :)