Jump to content

really devs? couldn't add market teleporters in the new market areas?


CaptRiker
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yeah...  They just destroyed the entire District market dynamic in the typical NQ "fix the symptoms, not the cause" way of doing things.

The number one selling point for this game was building large community settlements, space stations etc. So it is a bit ironic that the biggest problem with this game is that it can't handle more than a handful of players/constructs gathering before it breaks down..

 

I am pretty much at the point where I need to take a break from this game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

Yeah...  They just destroyed the entire District market dynamic in the typical NQ "fix the symptoms, not the cause" way of doing things.

 

I know I sound like a cracked record sometimes but NQ keeps pushing the needle back into the groove in this regard.

 

IMO the biggest issue right now is that NQ is not actually looking at the game and how what they want to change will affect anything outside the change itself. It happens all the time with pretty much anything they do. And the pattern you describe here is getting more and more prevalent while the underlying root causes are left untouched as far as we know. The mountain of technical debt just keeps growing bigger and bigger.

Now, it is possible NQ did what they did to get more data on how separating these locations will impact performance. But since there is nothing in the release notes or in what NQ has said on this there is no reason to assume this is the case.

 

It just feels like NQ has been spending a lot of time on something that really changed nothing instead of addressing core issues that will benefit the game going forward. For new players the first experience remains .. lag.. the pads on the districts are still littered with massive, pointless constructs. bbb.png

 

Players are now deliberately placing massive constructs with no function or purpose, knowing this is not intended and as such breaking TOS .. So NQ.. please be consistent here ..

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sometimes think Chris Roberts spies infliltrated NQ and now sabotaging everything with intentionaly bad disign (and blocking all good ideas, especialy ones coming from players).

 

There is no other explanation of all this markets vs constructs nonsense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, blazemonger said:

It just feels like NQ has been spending a lot of time on something that really changed nothing instead of addressing core issues that will benefit the game going forward. For new players the first experience remains .. lag.. the pads on the districts are still littered with massive, pointless constructs.

What is more worrying to me is that while ugly and chaotic, the districts and tiles close around them are the only place where we currently have true spontaneous community gatherings in the game. The early (and ugly) beginnings of an emergent society if you will, just as JC has talked about from the very beginning. But even at the relatively small scale of clustering we have around districts (compared to the vision laid out by JC), the game can't handle it at all..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

What is more worrying to me is that while ugly and chaotic, the districts and tiles close around them are the only place where we currently have true spontaneous community gatherings in the game. The early (and ugly) beginnings of an emergent society if you will, just as JC has talked about from the very beginning. But even at the relatively small scale of clustering we have around districts (compared to the vision laid out by JC), the game can't handle it at all..

Then why did the weekend ship expo go off without a hitch? I watched multiple streamers go there, tons of people and like 500 constructs walking around with like 0 lag. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Then why did the weekend ship expo go off without a hitch? 

That is a _very_ good question which NQ seems to not be asking themselves before they start their usual knee jerk premature reaction which really does not solve anything and only disrupts the game's experience _especially_ for new players. I honestly wonder why NQ is thinking this action will solve anything. They did not take their time to actually study the data they I  hope (pretty please NQ, do not tell me you did not) took from the Expo and do a deep dive into the possible differences between that and their district design.

Prior to the many manhours spent on making this change yesterday they claimed to have seen what they changed would improve the performance. It did not. I find it very hard to believe they were able to deduct anything from the Expo data this quick  to plan for and make these drastic changes and it really makes we wonder if there is actually a project manager who puts all the marbles together and makes a call like this. It just feels more like they sit in a room and the first person who says anything remotely feasible gets the go ahead, meeting is over and lets do this..


I can already see some of the fanbois foaming at the mouth for me speaking up like this but anyone with experience in project and process management sees how badly thought through and executed all of this is. And yes, I am certified (Lean Six Sigma green belt, going for black) in this and know what I am talking about. This is another knee jerk action costing resources and not yielding much result, if anything, NQ keeps plugging holes instead of killing the rodents causing them and that only means that one day soon, the rodent infestation will become uncontrollable. Based on what we know NQ has been working on this for (over) two weeks now and frankly, it's a waste of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

 


I can already see some of the fanbois foaming at the mouth for me speaking up like this

I consider myself a decent enough fanboi, but I've also personally criticized some of the things NQ has done, or hasnt done.  The problem is, a lot of the time it comes off more as whining then legit criticism.  Also people around here sometimes aren't very good at managing their expectations.  NQ is a small studio.  Stuff is gonna take time.  But the amount of money ive put in (very little) im definitely willing to give them time to show improvements, but also know they cant please everyone with every decision they make.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

That's fair enough.. but I just feel NQ is not very creative in what they think up and generally do not seem to really think through consequences of what they do.
 

 

If I were in charge of this here is what I would have done:

  1. Communicate the plan as outlined here in advance.
  2. Create a large, flat and open space, 4 large cores in the center as market area  surrounded by L core landing pads. at least 2 tiles over from the district it is part of.
  3. Center 4 L cores are a no fly zone and attempt to land there will fling you off away from the location
  4. Designate this as the player's market/mall
  5. Players can submit their shop design to NQ for approval,  shops can only be XS core and must be static.
  6. On approval, NQ places the store on the center L platforms, creating the mall
  7. Constructs not suitable/enabled for flight can't be spawned at District markets
  8. Any constructs left on the District markets for more than 24 hours will be impounded and can be recovered through paying a fee to the "District harbormaster's office".
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blazemonger said:

 

That's fair enough.. but I just feel NQ is not very creative in what they think up and generally do not seem to really think through consequences of what they do.
 

 

If I were in charge of this here is what I would have done:

  1. Communicate the plan as outlined here in advance.
  2. Create a large, flat and open space, 4 large cores in the center as market area  surrounded by L core landing pads. at least 2 tiles over from the district it is part of.
  3. Center 4 L cores are a no fly zone and attempt to land there will fling you off away from the location
  4. Designate this as the player's market/mall
  5. Players can submit their shop design to NQ for approval,  shops can only be XS core and must be static.
  6. On approval, NQ places the store on the center L platforms, creating the mall
  7. Constructs not suitable/enabled for flight can't be spawned at District markets
  8. Any constructs left on the District markets for more than 24 hours will be impounded and can be recovered through paying a fee to the "District harbormaster's office".

 

If NQ would only read these suggestions, from you, from me (in other thread) and many others ... I am not sure where they're getting their data from, or what exactly are they basing the development on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, sHuRuLuNi said:

 

If NQ would only read these suggestions, from you, from me (in other thread) and many others ... I am not sure where they're getting their data from, or what exactly are they basing the development on.

Lets be honest.  For every 1 good idea the community might spit out, there is like 40 terrible ones.  Or whatever ratio you end up coming up with. The point is, most ideas from the community are terrible.  And even good ideas, might be hard to implement.  There are tons of more factors and variables then someone from NQ logging into their forums, reading a post and going "Thats a great idea, we will start working on it tomorrow!".  Especially for a small company with limited resources working on a very ambitious project. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rly doubt they look at any data from any expo (never was there but there were 2 expos already in alpha iirc)... and they still have problems with lots of constructs while the expo went somewhat well. Seems like they don't learn anything from previous expos 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JohnnyTazer said:

Then why did the weekend ship expo go off without a hitch? I watched multiple streamers go there, tons of people and like 500 constructs walking around with like 0 lag. 

My guess is that they put special attention to the expo, allocating extra server resources (and possibly manual labor) to convert parked ships into static meshes as quickly as possible. So the main difference is that most constructs at the expo where static, while the districts not so much..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt that is the case as there is no reason to assume static cores will take less resources that stationary dynamic ones. And if NQ had the ability to enforce nodes in the way CPP can do for EVE systems for instance, then why do they not do the same for the markets.

 

Also, yes there will be plenty of bad ideas mixed in with the good but is it not (part of ) the job of a Community management team to collect information, maybe do an initial triage and then feed back information to the dev team? It would be kind of sad and honestly bad if the good ideas that we see in the forums are completely ignored, even when I would agree that this is what appears to happen unfortunately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is so lame I decide to leave sanctuary moon and go to district 6 to buy a bigger core to find the  place is a mess and the store is gone the closest store is 17k away I’m not running that  I’m going home forget it I wil just put up a buy order what are you doing NQ I’m so confused  why do this 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Anopheles said:

Pressing w twice means you sprint so you'll get there in (talent dependent) minutes running and also, the market at 6 is still there, it's 2kms away.

I don’t see any store 2 km  away maybe I’m blind 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...