Once Again.... The Reddit Community

yamamushi

@AidenAiden

You're trying to play the victim, and it just isn't going to fly. You say that those trying to merge are obsessed with power or whatever, but you literally block and censor any attempt to link to the other subreddit, which is run by active community members.

You keep saying you tried so hard to reason with people to merge, but they wouldn't do it... No, you would only ever consider them merging with you, so that you could keep power. Youre the only one that appears to be power hungry in this scenario; people that want the game that have backed it and are active in all parts of the community are the ones that want to get in control of the more easily accessible subreddit. They want to do it for the community. You are only in it for yourself.

I feel you are motivated less by the game and more by being in control of the subreddit of a popular game. It's the reason your banned account was a mod of so many subreddits, your main interest isn't the community, but being in control of a section of a community.

And for goodness sake, you even linked your subreddit three times when mentioning it, but of course you didn't link the other one when you mentioned that. 

15 hours ago, Velenka said:

@Pang_Dread

I did mention that if this forum continues to act as a main portal as it has been, there won't be any major problems.

I think there's still one aspect of this that is still escaping you. As Comrademoco shows, reddit is a very popular website, so it's logical that people would go there seeking information. People may visit the other sub and see that it's dead. And then from that extrapolate and assume that DU is dead and move on for good. Just because YOU may be smart enough to know that collecting information from more than one source is the best thing to do, it does not mean that others will. As Lethys points out, people are just plain idiots.

This is akin to having a major news corporation covering DU in an hour long spot on TV and saying that you wouldn't care if the information they put out was skewed in a way to make DU look bad or even downright misinformation. That you wouldn't care about that at all as long as the right information existed somewhere. Again, not everyone's smart enough to dig a little deeper.

Also consider that any improperly mismanaged portals paints not only the community, but DU and NQ in a bad light. If I'd been an outsider and seen and heard the shit that the mod of /r/dualuniverse was dishing out, I might have stayed the hell away, considering that community "toxic" if it can't even get along with itself.

As said in an earlier post I went to this supposed travesty of a website and besides background pictures and colors there is no major difference between the two reddit sites in question. The dualuniverse one has active posts, links to dev vids, link to the MAIN sites and the official social media pages as well. So sorry just not seeing all this alleged bad or misinformation. Only thing real as far as I can see is the little drama between mods of the sites.

From an outside perspective, as like I already said I don't use reddit at all besides the occasional AMA for a game I might be following at the time, theres nothing wrong with the actual information on the site that would drive people away like some of you are claiming. So yeah if some happened to chose that one website to base 100% of their opinion on (very unlikely though it may be as the MAIN sites are what show up first when you do google search's) theres nothing that could possibly do enough damage to drive them away. So if you just don't like how or who's running it that's fine but lets at least be honest about it.

6 minutes ago, Haunty said:

I don't care that there are two subreddits. If reddit is going to decide the fate of DU then DU has bigger problems.

Yep this /thread.

and @yamamushi  I think you're perhaps taking this all way too personally. Above post says it all, perhaps taking a step back and getting some perspective might help.

Here's an idea. Crazy idea, but it might work.

@AidenAiden, @yamamushi, @Comrademoco

Why don't both subs delete themselves, and together make a new sub. Get some third party (Still known, but mostly un-involved/neutral with the conflict) to create it, and be "head-mod". Then, r/dualuniverse mods and r/dualthegame mods can be mods, and we put this whole thing behind us.

Of course, this is a crazy idea. Probably a last resort. But it would solve the problem.

36 minutes ago, Pang_Dread said:

Yep this /thread.

and @yamamushi  I think you're perhaps taking this all way too personally. Above post says it all, perhaps taking a step back and getting some perspective might help.

Pang, take a look what Aiden said and he didn't even give true proof. If we look at his last forum post it's almost word for word identical. You may not consider this an issue which is fine, you have your own opinion, but looking at all the facts given, one sub has transparency and people that love the game running it, the other has a person who according to he fourm hasn't even backed the game.

This is about a person who has blatently created the sub in an attempt to power grab it from 2014. Along with this someone who has very few posts on this fourm, this is a person who doesn't auctually want dissenting opinions  and has banned people with proof provided above from people just for asking questions about the state of the sub.

Let's just take what Aiden says is true, "he isn't the mod", well why is a 15 day old account posting very similar posts to Aiden (Use Google cache on his banned account /u/aidenaiden2), acting like he has been leading for a long time, and having Aiden answer on his behalf? This doesn't seem to add up for me.

Anyway, this is about what should happen for the subreddit of this game on the 7th largest website on the internet, whether you see it as import or not is fine, it's your opinion, but a LARGE amount of people visit the site, and having someone who doesn't care about the game should not be in charge on it.

/Endrant

I see the problem with two sub-Reddits, but what can we really do about it now? 

In all honesty, r/dualuniverse is way more active than r/dualthegame. If you want to shift people from one to the other, you have to get r/dualthegame to be more active

EDIT: Looking a bit more, this activity seems to have only started recently, so it's probably the result of this thread lol

26 minutes ago, armyboy941 said:

Pang, take a look what Aiden said and he didn't even give true proof. If we look at his last forum post it's almost word for word identical. You may not consider this an issue which is fine, you have your own opinion, but looking at all the facts given, one sub has transparency and people that love the game running it, the other has a person who according to he fourm hasn't even backed the game.

This is about a person who has blatently created the sub in an attempt to power grab it from 2014. Along with this someone who has very few posts on this fourm, this is a person who doesn't auctually want dissenting opinions  and has banned people with proof provided above from people just for asking questions about the state of the sub.

Let's just take what Aiden says is true, "he isn't the mod", well why is a 15 day old account posting very similar posts to Aiden (Use Google cache on his banned account /u/aidenaiden2), acting like he has been leading for a long time, and having Aiden answer on his behalf? This doesn't seem to add up for me.

Anyway, this is about what should happen for the subreddit of this game on the 7th largest website on the internet, whether you see it as import or not is fine, it's your opinion, but a LARGE amount of people visit the site, and having someone who doesn't care about the game should not be in charge on it.

/Endrant

Honestly I don't care in the slightest about any of that. The little drama spat, he said/she said, not running it properly etc, between the mods and fans of the sites was never what I was talking about or addressing.

My only point has been I don't see anything wrong with the actual CONTENT related to DU that would be so bad as to scare people away from the game. No one has shown me anything to prove the contrary, only "well the mods did this shady thing I don't like, they deleted a post wah".

Huh. Im starting to notice a pattern on the subreddit in question. /r/dualuniverse has started to have a lot of questions posted onto it the past few days yet the sub count has not ticked up that much in subscriber count. When I look at the accounts that are posting onto it I started to notice this as the time of posting:

(Usernames have been removed to avoid any witchhunts against the users on the site however all the info is given as accurate as possible as of the edit time and to my written ability.)

user 1: redditor for 4 hours

user 2: posted 2 posts 3 years ago then nothing till just 2 days ago.

user 3: Redditor for a year. Only started posting 2 days ago.

user 4: Posts MANY of the same article to multiple subreddit in order to gain karma for the account. This is typically for an account that gains the karma then sells the account after because people who wanna buy high karma account.

user 5: Same as above

Note: Every single one of those users including a 6th at the time of posting have not responded to their comment in regards to asking followup question or even thanks for the answer which is a common occurrence on the site.

These are just 5 of the last 6 people who posted questions on the subreddit. The 6th person I couldn't get a pattern on so I will assume nothing for that. Either way I feel that there may be something fishy going on with that sub in order to make it look active when in reality it is at the same if not less then the dualthegame subreddit. I know i'm paranoid but this cant just be a coincidence for ALL these users, can it?

Edited by armyboy941
18:35

Subreddits do actually matter for introducing new people to the game. Not early maybe but as soon as there is enough regular users to push a thread to feature on the main reddit page interest will escalate drastically. Imo this matter isn't gonna hurt anything right now but long term it sure as hell will.

2 minutes ago, armyboy941 said:

I will not deny, the content on dualuniverse sub is what this game releases and not much more for content on it, just like the other atm. However the main point of that this post is about one person who only posts and updates on the sub when drama is active and otherwise doesn't care for the game.

If I can honestly get some real answers from Aiden or the "new" leader to disprove these fakes then I will gladly listen to what they say.

This is about one sub being ran by a caring mod team, and the other that is ran by an inactive and a 15 day old account with no prior mod expierence, no forum posts and nothing other then the stipulation that it is just the alt account of Aiden breaking the reddit ToS to avoid his ban.

Well if one is more active and better run doesn't it stand to reason that that one will rise above the others and be the "main" one?

I don't have a stake or honestly a care in either of the sites specifically just saying that in any games community there will be many sites both good and bad and like the poster said above if one site is enough to sink the game then there are bigger problems that existed.  

I can't stand reddit.  The user interface there just makes no sense to me.  I can't understand how it has grown so big with such a terrible design.

It pains me to go there to attempt to find anything on any particular topic of interest.  So I generally don't... I only check out r/SpaceX occasionally... 

But If we're going to have a reddit page...

Isn't there a group of volunteer moderators here already?  Can one or more of them ... or some new volunteers be added to their number to administer such a page?  All Dev interactions should remain on the official forums... with links to the articles or active Q and A threads placed on reddit so those there can come here for the info they seek.

There should be 1 central clearing house for game info.  Links to it can be spread around to the various social media.  The info should not be piecemealed out all over the place.  Though... I guess some fracturing of info is inevitable as interviews are given and posted on the respective sites...  I just ask that when such info is available a link is given to it on some sort of official info site so we can find it more easily.   I've strayed off topic a bit...

1 hour ago, Fitorion said:

I can't stand reddit.  The user interface there just makes no sense to me.  I can't understand how it has grown so big with such a terrible design.

It pains me to go there to attempt to find anything on any particular topic of interest.  So I generally don't... I only check out r/SpaceX occasionally... 

But If we're going to have a reddit page...

Isn't there a group of volunteer moderators here already?  Can one or more of them ... or some new volunteers be added to their number to administer such a page?  All Dev interactions should remain on the official forums... with links to the articles or active Q and A threads placed on reddit so those there can come here for the info they seek.

There should be 1 central clearing house for game info.  Links to it can be spread around to the various social media.  The info should not be piecemealed out all over the place.  Though... I guess some fracturing of info is inevitable as interviews are given and posted on the respective sites...  I just ask that when such info is available a link is given to it on some sort of official info site so we can find it more easily.   I've strayed off topic a bit...

Couple of things; reddit design could be better for sure, but I think you're being too hard on it. Most "liked" content is always sent to the top, and everything filters out every few hours. You can subscribe to whatever you like and see the most liked content of whatever you like whenever you want (for instance, I am subscribed to NMS, DU, space, PrequelMemes, and a few others. Every morning or evening I check the page and see the best content from all those subreddits right there on one page). Same goes for comments, on a big thread the comments on top are always good.

Reddit is generally more for discussion, not searching for something in particular.

Secondly, about volunteer moderators, that is exactly what we have for our subreddit. A group of volunteers from the community are in charge of r/dualthegame. The issue is that the subreddit that gets more attention, r/dualuniverse, is under the control of someone not from the community, who will not let anyone else become a moderator. You are correct in a lot of things, essentially saying that content best remains in one place; however, people who don't know much about the game may likely find the subreddit r/dualuniverse first. Which happens to be the subreddit that the community has no control of. That is the issue at hand.

Reddit is the last source of information for me to go to as a gamer around specific game.
There is many other modern ways to stay in touch and prosper as community and have online presence than this.
I don't understand why reddit, only because being quoted by some mainstream media, is perceived as 'more trusted' source of information as any troll can have account there and anywhere else as he see fits.

If this very situation started to look like a struggle the best we can do as community is simply ignore it.

Frankly, anyone who takes Reddit as a point of reference for any topic should be shot or at least ignored ;)

Reddit is in general a very biased, unregulated and 'wild west' style community. Frankly and IMO those who value Reddit to the point they base their opinion or purchase choices on what hey read there you could probably do without as a user/customer.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

Frankly, anyone who takes Reddit as a point of reference for any topic should be shot or at least ignored ;)

Reddit is in general a very biased, unregulated and 'wild west' style community. Frankly and IMO those who value Reddit to the point they base their opinion or purchase choices on what hey read there you could probably do without as a user/customer.

Hey, nothign says "open discussion" liek a downvote button.

Echoechambers are fun - according to Reddit evangelists xD

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Yes, let's ignore the 8th most visited site on the internet. Over 234 million unique visitors per month as of 2017.

That would be a terrible idea, as it's not outside of the realm of possibility that a DU subreddit will overtake the forums in popularity as the player base grows. Look at the Eve Online forums and then look at the Eve Subreddit for example. 

Ignoring Reddit would be a bad idea. Regardless of anyone's personal opinion, a huge number of people go to Reddit for news and content. It's ranking algorithm makes it easier to see good content at a glance especially when compared to forums. 

On 7/13/2017 at 9:55 AM, Lord_Void said:

I see the problem with two sub-Reddits, but what can we really do about it now? 

In all honesty, r/dualuniverse is way more active than r/dualthegame. If you want to shift people from one to the other, you have to get r/dualthegame to be more active

EDIT: Looking a bit more, this activity seems to have only started recently, so it's probably the result of this thread lol

In regards to that edit @Lord_Void it actually wouldn't be the 1st time. Last time this subject was brought up, the same thing happened, and the previous times before that... Activity only boosts when the issue is made public... ? 

15 minutes ago, Comrademoco said:

In regards to that edit @Lord_Void it actually wouldn't be the 1st time. Last time this subject was brought up, the same thing happened, and the previous times before that... Activity only boosts when the issue is made public... ? 

Yeah I can see that now. Either way, the point still stands that the best way to promote the other sub is to make it more active.

1 hour ago, Lord_Void said:

Yeah I can see that now. Either way, the point still stands that the best way to promote the other sub is to make it more active.

I disagree, I believe the best way to resolve this is for Novaquark to say which one has their blessing as the one they encourage people to use. 

If NQ had an official statement saying "we encourage people to use this one because of x-y-z", or even announced an AMA or something, then that would put the focus on one subreddit as the de facto one to go to for info about DU. They don't have to get involved in moderating it, they just would need to say "we think this one better reflects the community". 

Without a statement from NQ, it's just going to be an endless bickering match about what to do. 

Which is why I said previously, I think this thread should be locked until NQ responds.