Dual Universe Radio Network

yamamushi

Hello Dual Universe Community,

We are bringing you today a new idea that is in the works and we want your opinion. The Alioth Broadcasting Corporation invites the content creators of Dual Universe to take part in creating a 24/7 live audio streaming network of content focused around Dual Universe.

We envision a platform that allows anyone from the Dual Universe community to apply and DJ/host on this station, creating their own shows or podcasts based on Dual Universe in some way or another. DJ Hosts are allotted time slots that work with their schedule where they can play music, talk to players, run radio games, talk DU news and more.

At the moment we are still in the early phases of testing our streaming platform and trying to integrate player ads and DJ interfaces in a cohesive manner so that it is as seamless and automated as possible.

We're asking that any organizations that may want their ads played to send us (on discord preferably) 30-60 second ads based around your org (think radio ads). For now, just come up with short, simple ads for the community to hear. We are going to be using these ads to test airspace and control.

In addition to ad content, we are also looking for people who might be interested in being a  DJ, whether live or just pre-recorded content so that we can start running through a beta schedule. That also includes talk shows or broadcasts centered around your organization. If you would like to be a DJ or want to try it out, let us know and we will start testing with multiple people. Requirements for becoming a DJ are a clear microphone (if you're going to be speaking) and you must be able to download (install and setup) the appropriate streaming software onto your own computer. You must also have free time(s) available sometime during the week for about 1-2 hours minimum.

Over the next couple of weeks we will be running through a beta schedule, and while we don't expect much content to fill the air until at least alpha launches, we wanted to get this up and running now with a sane scheduling system and enough content-producers lined up so that we can launch the complete station all at once.

If you would like to be a part of Dual Universe Radio Network, let us know by sending us a message through discord or the forums (this forum). As this is a new idea, we would love any input the community has, so let us know your thoughts or questions below.

We want to stress that this is being built as a neutral, 3rd party group that will take no bias towards any other organization. Our goal with this network is simply to keep it operational and to keep it fun for our listeners. We don't favor one group or another, however, individuals on the network are free to represent their own thoughts and opinions under certain guidelines we will have in place.

This is a fitting addition and will likely have a major impact once this game is more fleshed out.

With one word: immersion. Some probably can't hear that word anymore, but just think of mining or flying somewhere while listening to actual ads with a relevance to the world, community, etc.

Another really amazing idea, I love how the community is progressing and I am very excited to see what will happen from now on, it really makes me happy to see we have such an engaging community and I would love to see this idea blossom, my best wishes to the team working on it :)

We want to stress that this is being built as a neutral, 3rd party group that will take no bias towards any other organization. Our goal with this network is simply to keep it operational and to keep it fun for our listeners. We don't favor one group or another, however, individuals on the network are free to represent their own thoughts and opinions under certain guidelines we will have in place.

Just going to say that there is no media that is unbiased. The important thing is to be transparent about it.

Apart from that I would also love to participate. I have all the equipment necessary for both live and recorded content (though I have a preference for recorded), in addition to alpha access. I also (currently) have a four day weekend, so plenty of free time.

This is coming along very well and based on what we have lined up, this is going to be amazing! Hope everyone is excited and we would love any feedback and/or ideas that the community has because this is built by the community for the community. Keep checking this thread because we will start teasing at the site as well as short broadcasts we do and maybe a couple secret specials as well ;)

Cheers

Just going to say that there is no media that is unbiased. The important thing is to be transparent about it.

Apart from that I would also love to participate. I have all the equipment necessary for both live and recorded content (though I have a preference for recorded), in addition to alpha access. I also (currently) have a four day weekend, so plenty of free time.

Please, do the kind of show that's like "The World in 60 seconds" kind of thing, where you recap the latest thing I blew up, how many people turned into columns of salt and Cybrex's alt-count. :D

-snip-

That raises the question: What kind of controversial subjects will rise? Will we have unique words for different beliefs and opinions? Minimum wage? Taxes based on wealth?

That raises the question: What kind of controversial subjects will rise? Will we have unique words for different beliefs and opinions? Minimum wage? Taxes based on wealth?

Once the game releases and the lingo and phrases comes into play more, it will solve itself. But for the controversial topics, I guess we will have to find out and see how it all progresses

We mainly don't want people to use their timeslot on the network to harass other players or organizations.

You shouldn't be using it as a podium to call out for people to attack your opponents, or to harass other players. If you wouldn't want them doing it to you, it's probably something you shouldn't do to them either.

I mean, I get that organizations may end up with their own timeslots (for a weekly address perhaps, or just a weekly show based around their org, who knows) and that as an org they may be biased in what they say/do. But that doesn't give them the blanket right to just attack other people over the air constantly. 

As a network, we shouldn't be scheduling people to go on hour based on our own biases (which is why there will be multiple people involved in the approval/denial process). We also shouldn't be using the network as a means to attack other people in any capacity. We should only serve to keep the station online and to keep interesting content scheduled at times when specific audiences are interested in hearing certain things. 

ie, there will be times where most people want to just hear music playing (specific genres even), and there will be other times when talk shows would work better, or news shows, market shows, whatever. But scheduling priority should be exactly that, scheduling shows for when they can attract the best audience possible, not scheduling them just because we like one org more than another. 

In doing so, we should also try to be fair to everyone who applies, regardless of who they are. 

This is partly why I'm not part of any in-game organizations, because I want to be able to stay as neutral as possible when doing these kinds of projects. 

Please, do the kind of show that's like "The World in 60 seconds" kind of thing, where you recap the latest thing I blew up, how many people turned into columns of salt and Cybrex's alt-count. :D

My personal favourite would be doing a feature on a crazy pseudo-science hypothesis using an extreme version of the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, which would go to there being an infinite number of parallel universes (or DUAL universes, hee hee), that would end with every piece of fiction that exists and those that don't exist are real in another universe (or strand of quantum probability). This would include a universe where in the early 21st century, a company called NovaQuark would create a game that is identical to our reality.

My personal favourite would be doing a feature on a crazy pseudo-science hypothesis using an extreme version of the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, which would go to there being an infinite number of parallel universes (or DUAL universes, hee hee), that would end with every piece of fiction that exists and those that don't exist are real in another universe (or strand of quantum probability). This would include a universe where in the early 21st century, a company called NovaQuark would create a game that is identical to our reality.

This reminds me of the Hitch Hikers Guide To the Galaxy, Mark II, in "Mostly Harmless" 

This reminds me of the Hitch Hikers Guide To the Galaxy, Mark II, in "Mostly Harmless" 

I was just going to say that! 

Lol I love the self-reference. 

I would also love to have some talk shows on the radio that would give voice to some of the more academic aspects of the game. I'm sure not everyone would want to listen to that, but if there were 15-30 minutes of that spread out across the schedule, that would be pretty cool. For example programs where we talk about how to be good leaders or diplomats or what it means to be a member of the community. 

To late, man. You've already tossed this idea in the ether. Once an idea has touched the internet, it will have it's own life and evolve into it's own creation. 

We're going to have a radio. Either I find a way to make one or someone else does. This is an item our universe needs. We could plug in podcasts, play the retro tunes of space movie soundtracks and such, call-in shows, corp advertisement, maybe even ship design advertisements and the likes. 

A great example is Elite: Dangerous' radio Radio Sidewinder. Not a prime work of art but still a good enough example for this.

To late, man. You've already tossed this idea in the ether. Once an idea has touched the internet, it will have it's own life and evolve into it's own creation. 

We're going to have a radio. Either I find a way to make one or someone else does. This is an item our universe needs. We could plug in podcasts, play the retro tunes of space movie soundtracks and such, call-in shows, corp advertisement, maybe even ship design advertisements and the likes. 

A great example is Elite: Dangerous' radio Radio Sidewinder. Not a prime work of art but still a good enough example for this.

Don't worry, the DU Radio team is still working on this and we can't wait until we go live. We have a couple more pieces to fix up and polish the edges and we will be done. Unfortunately, until the game releases their won't be much DU podcasts talking about in-game topics but we will release it for music, small podcasts, and possibly new interviews with NQ.