Linux crowdfund please

Jenshae

If NQ can justify the additional expense and manhours of developing DU for multiple platforms, I'm sure they will do so.

The fact that they have not done so already is telling, however. I'm quite sure that identifying a target market was a very important aspect of their early design decisions, and I've no doubt that they would have made the most cost-effective choice.

It is entertaining to see the Linux evangelists at work though... ;)

Some day, their paradise may be delivered, but until then, we have Windows ! :D 

1 hour ago, CoreVamore said:

On a personal note however I would prefer to have DU released on Windows first, have NQ's developers time focused on getting the game out first, then later, if the Linux funding goal reached, port it over.

I would rather spend an extra year in Beta / Early Access and have Linux than have another promise like Star Citizen's that amounts to nothing for so long.

Imagine a pie chart. Now imagine over time it grows larger in radius. If one of those segments is entirely Windows dependant and impacts its neighbours that can amount to a truly massive overhaul to make the game platform independent.

The sooner they shift over, the less work they save in the future because and this is pretty certain unless the game is a runaway success, there comes a point where it actually is not worth doing and will heavily impact development.

They don't need to create a port, they just need to use systems and libraries that aren't locked to Windows.  But to be honest, the largest overhaul would be if they aren't using OpenGL at the moment.  The rest isn't "really bad".  

I think the most important part is "So, if we can see a strong movement of the community in favor of Linux, it will significantly increase the chance of the game being released on Linux."

Seems to be a common topic that rears its head, so keep showing your support... and someday maybe :)

Someone linked you the right info already. If there are enough Supporters for it, they may be doing it.

I don't rly get the debate tbh. As standard everyday user it doesn't matter what you use, people will always use what's easily available and what they're used to. So what. No need for burning witches and No need for pointing fingers.

Spread the word in linux communities, Game forums or whatever and make them support Du. When those guys are interested and there are more and more ppl here who want Linux support, then they might do it. 

It doesn't matter what YOU think is best for the game or how YOU would do it, NQ develops the game and they made their deciscion - If you don't run a Game dev company yourself then you don't know what Else they have to think about. It's really condescending to jump in here and say it would be best to just Dev it for linux because "Insert something". 

NQ listens to it's community - get ppl together as i wrote and make them listen that way

25 minutes ago, Hades said:

They don't need to create a port, they just need to use systems and libraries that aren't locked to Windows.  But to be honest, the largest overhaul would be if they aren't using OpenGL at the moment.  The rest isn't "really bad".  

I think the most important part is "So, if we can see a strong movement of the community in favor of Linux, it will significantly increase the chance of the game being released on Linux."

Seems to be a common topic that rears its head, so keep showing your support... and someday maybe :)

NQ is a smart team and I already think they are building DU to be as portable as possible, I may be wrong, time will tell. All I can say is 'roll on DU!'  ;)

Love how the objective of OP went from 'let me put my money where my mouth is' to NQ should start work on supporting Linux now, and if that means they stay in Alpha/Beta longer I'd prefer that.

Bottom line is you expect those who have no interest in a niche OS being supported to both wait longer and basically pay for it.

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Love how the objective of OP went from 'let me put my money where my mouth is' to NQ should start work on supporting Linux now, and if that means they stay in Alpha/Beta longer I'd prefer that.

Bottom line is you expect those who have no interest in a niche OS being supported to both wait longer and basically pay for it.

Dense or playing dumb?

Obviously the desire is for as soon as possible.

1) Raise funds.
2) Build for Linux according to funding goals reached.

The sooner 1) happens, the sooner 2) happens. Basic logic.
"A stitch in time saves nine" is also a common concept.

:rolleyes:

The simplest test to "gauge support for a Linux version" would be for NQ to do a survey amongst the player base to see what their primary gaming OS is.

I'd be surprised if it differs substantially from Steam's own surveys. Gabe must choke every time he sees those survey results, despite his best efforts, only 0.33% of his customers use Linux currently...

3 hours ago, blazemonger said:

What do you think/expect is needed for development of an end user client and then support/maintain it? Do you have any ideas on this?

3x devs that are 2x coders and 1x graphics have managed to make a pretty good 3D game in Unity 3D that is platform independent. Admittedly, I think the game has been in Early Access for four years.

jf5vkzx.png 

You can only pick two.

They went with Time and are striving for Quality.
(Their costs are low because they are in Poland.)

Making it more simple, what if they just added two more packages, Linux and Mac.

Again, they would have hard measurable figures and no need to do the two lower packs unless it exploded. We get it, less of us, pay a higher premium. :P

5 hours ago, Jenshae said:

Making it more simple, what if they just added two more packages, Linux and Mac.

Again, they would have hard measurable figures and no need to do the two lower packs unless it exploded. We get it, less of us, pay a higher premium. :P

yes, because there won't be any PR problem with charging different OS users more money Face With Rolling Eyes on Google Android 8.1

7 hours ago, NanoDot said:

The simplest test to "gauge support for a Linux version" would be for NQ to do a survey amongst the player base to see what their primary gaming OS is.

I'd be surprised if it differs substantially from Steam's own surveys. Gabe must choke every time he sees those survey results, despite his best efforts, only 0.33% of his customers use Linux currently...

you have to realise though that less users have linux with steam because less steam games support linux, so less variety/availability of games and genres, so there's not as many people filling in those slots. if i made a language tutoring website, and wanted everyone there to learn english, but most tutors didn't teach english, it would make sense that most of the students wouldn't learn english.

9 hours ago, Jenshae said:

3x devs that are 2x coders and 1x graphics

Add to that support staff and you are looking at around a conservative 200K/yr for what will not exceed 4% of the user base (very optimistic number). The Linux userbase simply is not there to cover those cost and I'm not even including their share of servercost.

So realisticly, unless you are expecting me to fund your desire to game on Linux it's not viable.

5 hours ago, Lights said:

you have to realise though that less users have linux with steam because less steam games support linux, so less variety/availability of games and genres, so there's not as many people filling in those slots. if i made a language tutoring website, and wanted everyone there to learn english, but most tutors didn't teach english, it would make sense that most of the students wouldn't learn english.

Ah yes, the "silent majority" theory... the 100's of millions of Linux gamers don't show up on Steam, because Steam mostly sells games for Windows OS...

If Linux gamers really are a strong economic force, there must be an online game store that's selling to them, surely ? Just use the sales figures of that store as a way to persuade NQ. Money talks, after all.

That's why I suggested that NQ do a survey of the player base. If the results of that survey show that Linux gamers are a significant % of the total players, I've no doubt they will make every effort to accommodate them, simply because it would make good business sense.

41 minutes ago, Jenshae said:

That is their entire staff. Three guys.
As to cost, they are in Poland. Foreign exchange goes a long way there.

I am talking about the cost to NQ for adding devs for a Linux client plus supporting it. I'd also like to know what 3 staff game you are trying to compare to DU as far as development requirements..

And no, a Linux support pack can never come at the same cost as a Windows supporter pack unless you again are saying that you get your support and the Windows supporters should pay for it. Linux support is excessively more expensive as it is a lot of investment for a extremely small target audience which will never be recouped through these users.

The amount of times I've facepalmed while reading through this thread is... astounding.

Just give it a rest, ya?  If there's enough support... they'll implement it.  It might be a few years, but I imagine there will be a Linux version when things quiet down.

Very few users are going to be using VR, but they "plan" on implementing that as well.  It just depends on whether NQ believes it's possible or not, end of story.  What you think about Linux, what I think about Linux... completely irrelevant.  Whether you think you're fronting the cost or not... also irrelevant.

If they want to implement it, they will... if not, they won't.  Just leave it up to them :)

As an avid Linux user myself I figured I should chime in with my two cents on the topic. While it would be amazing to see Dual Universe have native Linux support I do agree that it should not be a top priority at the moment. I want DU to succeed and to me that is more important than getting all the features that I want implemented right away. There are core features that must be in the game for it to become the smash hit we want and Linux support is not one of those features its a bonus. Although you raise the argument that lack of this feature locks out part of the demographic I do not feel that is the case. Most Linux/Mac users acknowledge that their OS selection is limiting when it comes to playing games (slowly changing but still a long ways to go) and so many compromise with various alternative solutions like dual booting or emulation. I also fall into this category, personally I dislike windows but I simply liked DU much more so now its running on a dedicated windows SSD with nothing but dual universe and discord installed. Sure some might have extreme views and condemn the game for a lack of Linux support but this is a small number of people and I am willing to bet most will bend their ideals in order to play the game. I do hope that NQ tries their best to incorporate additional OS support in the future but I feel their target should be a quality working release first and then add in features afterwards. I like your idea of showing our desire for additional OS support financially but I still feel that all funds should go towards a strong foundation first. The main reason I feel this way is because history has shown that when devs delay their release to cram in more features it just makes the players unhappy and gives room for the competition to walk in with some other amazing game and steal the show. For now I think we should focus our efforts towards assisting alternative OS users with the conversion as much as possible. Speaking of which I keep hearing these rumors of players successfully getting DU to work with wine, if anyone happens to know where these geniuses are please get them to contact me, perhaps together we could create a guide or better yet a convenient package for running DU on Linux.

Edited by Msoul
Edited to remove NDA material

I agree with @blazemonger , it just shouldn't be a priority. I think the game is ambitious enough, has enough technical challenges, and enough of a backlog of wanted features that will take them after release(like travel from one system to another). Adding on a linux client is just a low priority. I think a crowdfunding might be ok but once you start taking peoples money to promise a linux client NQ has an obligation to complete it. I 100% guarantee the linux client or design of the game to assist with a linux client will be harder then it looks. Simple example would be if NQ has to design its own anticheat due to the unique nature of the game. That will be a lot of work to do with both linux and windows. My primary concern is they promise some level of linux and the unexpected workload for it delays the game for the 90%-95% of users not using linux, or they take a pr hit by failing to deliver an acceptable linux client after crowdfunding to do so.

Thank you Hades I will ask them about it as soon as I get the chance.
Thank you as well Felonu for the warning, I will remove the part about my personal experience. My sincere apologies to NQ if I stepped over the line.

Let me just be very clear, I am not against a Linux client but feel that it's just not a viable option prior to full release. If after the game is out and running NQ finds the time and resources to develop a Linux client then why not. The point raised earlier that NQ should not set expectations for this before they can commit to it is spot on IMO.