What is the name of our home star/system?

DarkHorizon

545387738_1280x720.jpg

The Latin name for the Sun, Sol, is not common in general English language use; the adjectival form is the related word solar.

"Sun" - Wikipedia

Throughout time, man has looked up to the sun in awe of its majesty and beauty. It brings light to our eyes and warmth to our skin. It allows trees to photosynthesize lethal gas into breathable air and beautiful flowering plants such as the sunflower face it as it makes its journey across the sky.

The sun has been worshiped as a god and goddess, carried forth on a boat, then a chariot, and brought forth into war on shields and flags of the ancients.

The sun has brought us life, fast forward a millennium or two to the year 2000 and humanity had, on the whole, ceased to regard it in their everyday life. It became, predictable, one might say. Expected to set and rise again the next day without fail. Many chose to forget about it as we looked not towards the stars above, but to the false stars we had created and risen up down below.

Those who kept looking up above had given it many names over time, but before we left our cradle of life, we knew our home star as Sol.

As denizens of a new world, what shall we call our home star?

We are now a starfaring civilization that will soon be spreading to multiple systems.

The stars are not mythical objects anymore, so they won't be regarded with the same level of reverence and awe felt by our primitive ancestors.

Star/system names in DU will most likely be arbitrary, with an emphasis on brevity and useability.

5 hours ago, NanoDot said:

Star/system names in DU will most likely be arbitrary, with an emphasis on brevity and useability.

Understandable but I was thinking that since this is going to be the second launch point for "humanity", that it would be something nice to have if not for practicality, but for lore reasons.

7 hours ago, DarkHorizon said:

Understandable but I was thinking that since this is going to be the second launch point for "humanity", that it would be something nice to have if not for practicality, but for lore reasons.

Also, stars aren't mythical at all... but they're still damn impressive and awe inspiring.  Tell me you aren't inspired by the Sun... I am.  

I stand by BrightyMcBrightFace though.  Maybe a little solar flare will be named as such, as per the real world play out :P

Solus Venturis

Solus can me lonely and single but also has the root "sol" like you mentioned
Venturis can mean future

So I think it would be fitting to name it "Solus Venturis" with my interpretation being "The Solar System of Our Future"

Given the backstory is that our home planet was destroyed and this is our new hope for the future.

3 hours ago, musicianmadness said:

Solus Venturis

Solus can me lonely and single but also has the root "sol" like you mentioned
Venturis can mean future

So I think it would be fitting to name it "Solus Venturis" with my interpretation being "The Solar System of Our Future"

Given the backstory is that our home planet was destroyed and this is our new hope for the future.

Solus makes it sound too close to sol imho.  I'd be down with venturis in the name though.

8 hours ago, Mortalpath said:

How about Diplós? It's greek for dual (which i think is fitting), it's easy to remember, and i think it sounds cool. What do you guys think?

Diplós seems really cool. Sounds straight out of Star Trek 

I love this topic/question.
Simple yet complex. Not useful and full of meaning.
I am nothing added except Novus, Diplós, Venturis & Solus Venturis are good ideas.

12 hours ago, Lau2356 said:

Why not Epsilon Ursae Majoris ? After all, it's also called Alioth ;). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epsilon_Ursae_Majoris

"Epsilon Ursae Majoris" seems to be 83ly away (too close). We need a star at around ~10000ly.
Based on the assumption the Novark is cruising at speeds near the speed of light.

1 hour ago, sk0rz3nix said:

"Epsilon Ursae Majoris" seems to be 83ly away (too close). We need a star at around ~10000ly.
Based on the assumption the Novark is cruising at speeds near the speed of light.

But is it cruising at the speed of light ? ? That is the question!