Low FPS when flying ships.

AthenaDolos

Ever since the latest 0.28 update I've had this weird low FPS issue. When I enter a ship, especially M and L core ships... my fps tanks from  the regular 100+ to 10.. Sometimes locking up for 10 - 45 seconds at a time. 

1080TI 
9900K I9
16gb ram

2TB ssD 

up to date windows 10 and drivers

CPU and GPU's are liquid cooled both stay below 60c

Is this just the going rate right now or is my case non typical?  

Did you notice if the FPS drop happens in space too, or is it only in the atmosphere of a planet?

Having a lot of wings or ailerons seems to cause an FPS drop when they are in use.  I think that has always been an issue though, even before 0.28.

3 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Did you notice if the FPS drop happens in space too, or is it only in the atmosphere of a planet?

Having a lot of wings or ailerons seems to cause an FPS drop when they are in use.  I think that has always been an issue though, even before 0.28.

I can confirm this too

@Atmosph3rik

I have not noticed it in space.

How ever it happen also when using JetPack (so no ailerons or such)

Drop comes in wawes. It drops then gets better for a sec or two and then again drops. Drops get worse util I need to restart game.

It happens after moving with jet-pack 5-10 kms.

I do regularly move between mining units and it does not "reset" if I stop to calibrate.

Restarting game resets it.

I saw this before terrain reset, so it must be the surface layers causing this, or something else wired overflow bug.

Someone should file a bug report.

• 2 months later...

I am getting low FPR (30 to 35) just standing at my base, if im flying it gets alot worst to where I get shuddering (stop and start for like .2 to .4 secs) I hate that, my FPS Drops down to 22 FPS. I use to get 60 FPS sitting at my base, now all these recent updates (since summer 2021) has Killed my FPS. Please optimize the Server / client code and give me back my 60 FPS!!!!. We can not have a aerospace expo with FPS like this, This game is on the verge of being UNPLAYABLE!!!!.

Thank you

Damian Firecaster 

Core Worlds Coalition legate

• 1 year later...

i know its old topic, but is there a fix for this? i get around 10-14fps with large ships aswell, it makes it near impossible to play ...

@devs could you please fix this? i'm not sure how you expect people to play with 10fps. my CPU and GPU usage is below 60% aswell, so its not due CPU or GPU. there's a game called "beamng drive" that uses realistic physics and does a lot of calculations per second, since cars have actual parts. in most games car physics are completely different, but in beamng every part works individually and it requires lot of CPU power, that runs without any issues on my PC.

easy fix would be to mix all wings into one when torque is disabled. anyone who don't know, torque enabled means that element acts as in real, it applies the force in the point its located at, if torque is disabled (default), then it acts as "one". for example if you put 100 wings in front and 10 in the back, then with torque disabled it won't matter, it gives generic lift to entire ship, if you put torque enabled on all wings, then your front will have 10x better lift than rear.

so if torque is disabled, then it should just have "one" wing and this should fix this lag issue.

hope this makes sense, thanks.

3 hours ago, Sethioz said:

i know its old topic, but is there a fix for this? i get around 10-14fps with large ships aswell, it makes it near impossible to play ...

Not sure if this will help however, I had this lag issue until I bought a M.2 PCIe SSD, which has much higher speeds than SATA SSD (and magnetic disks). If your computer has a slot for one of these I would suggest this will solve the issue (I was using a magnetic disk drive before this).

Other things I found helped were turn off the vector displays while flying near other objects (V button by default) and setting my graphics card to limit the number of frames for the game to 30 fps (Not turned this one off since I changed the drive).

On 7/27/2023 at 3:10 PM, ADCOne said:

Not sure if this will help however, I had this lag issue until I bought a M.2 PCIe SSD, which has much higher speeds than SATA SSD (and magnetic disks). If your computer has a slot for one of these I would suggest this will solve the issue (I was using a magnetic disk drive before this).

Other things I found helped were turn off the vector displays while flying near other objects (V button by default) and setting my graphics card to limit the number of frames for the game to 30 fps (Not turned this one off since I changed the drive).

so you saying PCIe SSD makes game run better than SATA SSD? that literally makes 0 sense, are you saying game makes so many read/writes?

i know it stutters on HDD, but you're talking about completely different thing. SSD/HDD has nothing to do with flying big ships.

i'm 100% sure you have not done proper testing and you talking about stuttering that comes from non existing optimization when game makes lot of reads/writes on HDD, but SSD doesn't have this issue, so i don't see how PCIe would make any of this better.

limiting game to 30fps doesn't help if you have 10fps to begin with ...

and just that everyone knows it, DU is only game i have issues in. i can play all other latest games just fine in 1440p or even 4k. i can run forza horizon 5 in 4k with AMD fidelity on "quality" and i can run dying light 2 in 1440p aswell, no problems, solid 60fps without any stuttering or lag and they run off of HDD.

cyberpunk 2077 is heavy on HDD, yet i'm able to play that in 1440p and from HDD. DU i'm forced to run in 1080p with lowest possible settings and i almost never reach 60fps, somewhere in middle of space, rarely, but average is 30-45fps and with big ships it's below 15fps.

We have had this discussion many times. And the bottom line is that DU shows all the symptoms of bad system design.

The lack of separation on the screen render (fps) and asset loading (network/ssd streaming), being just one of many such examples.

I.e. the renderer should operate in a separate thread working only with the assets it has available, and by design it should never be affected (fps) by asset being loaded until the new voxels are finished processing and ready to be rendered. So having a slow network/storage would result in longer loading times before voxels show on the screen, but the fps should never drop while doing so.

And this problem is made even worse since DU appears to not have any occlusion culling on either streaming or rendering, meaning that everything like underground constructs, tunnels and inside of constructs etc. are always loaded and rendered while you are flying above them.

18 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

And this problem is made even worse since DU appears to not have any occlusion culling on either streaming or rendering, meaning that everything like underground constructs, tunnels and inside of constructs etc. are always loaded and rendered while you are flying above them.

yup i noticed this long ago, i can't believe any developer would do this .. which is why i keep repeating that DU has 0 optimization done. there's also almost no graphics settings available, no draw distance, no reflection quality .. no nothing, which makes it even worse, so that you can't even adjust anything.

but i think it's necessary to repeat this over and over, because if you don't, then devs just shrug it off and hope that people will forget, it's a good thing to talk about it as much as possible, so they'd see that it's a big issue they need to fix.

with graphics like this .. even GTX 680 should run this game in solid 60fps at 1080p.

i once contacted support and they saying my pc is weak .. i was quite insulted by that, because i can run all the other latest games in 1440p or even 4k with 60fps. forza horizon 5 i run in 4k with AMD fidelity on quality and some options on medium or low (like shadows), rest is pretty much maxed out and my GPU is only about 40-90% use at any given time, even in races with lot of dust and other effects.

in other games i can also use NIS (nvidia image scaling), but DU completely ignores that setting. they've added DLSS which is only supported by expensive RTX series cards, what use is that?

but reason why i was insulted by them calling my PC weak, is because i monitor my resource usage on secondary monitor while i play, in certain areas my GPU is like 20% use and CPU is 40-60% use, yet i get 10-20fps, so how is that my PC if resources are not even being used?

when flying big ships, that's exactly the case! none of my hardware is under 100% load, it just LAGS for no reason at all.

or in other case, i look at empty sky or i'm underground and my GPU is 100% use .. why? literally a 10 year old computer could render a simple skybox or ground texture in 60fps 4k.

honestly i'm so frustrated .. as soon as i find something else that i like playing, i'll probably stop playing DU completely. i can't stand this 10fps 0-optimization ... it's been said many times and devs don't even try to optimize this :( makes me sad seeing good concept go to waste..

if any of you devs read this, please put some effort into optimization.

• 2 weeks later...

The worst thing is the stuttering.

You're doing a close fly-by of a mountain or building and the game pauses for a second, presumably to load stuff - when it comes back your previous rotational movement continues and you inevitably crash and blow up.

With flying being the only exciting part of the game this is pretty game-breaking. It's been like this since alpha. You'd think a good dev would be able to fix it by now.

On 8/2/2023 at 2:12 PM, Sethioz said:

so you saying PCIe SSD makes game run better than SATA SSD? that literally makes 0 sense, are you saying game makes so many read/writes?

i know it stutters on HDD, but you're talking about completely different thing. SSD/HDD has nothing to do with flying big ships.

Ignoring the slights about doing no testing changing to the type of hard disk is the only change I made and instead of waiting something in excess of 5 minutes to loading the game, I now have maybe 30 seconds. I have also found the game in general is loads better.

No question that SSD/M.2 will result in much faster cache loading times then a spinning disk.

But.. remember that this game is designed to continuously stream data from cloud servers. Meaning that as long as your cache drive is as fast as your internet connection, then there should be little to gain during actual game play once the game has loaded.

The problem here is when the game is made in such a way that loading new assets (either from cache or cloud servers) results in stutter and frame drops when rendering the existing assets that are already loaded and ready. And this choice/lack of design becomes especially bad when the entire premise of the game is to continuously stream in new assets all the time while playing.

• 3 weeks later...

What I always noticed is that CPU seems to influence a lot on the DU experience. Played it both on a 3070 and 3080Ti, but with same CPU (5900X) and the fps almost never reached 60 on planets only in space. The only time I managed to become GPU bound was running it in 4K, but even then, if I enable DLSS, the same thing as before: lots of CPU usage and GPU isn't fully utilized.

It gets worse when flying stuff around, too, as if the game was doing some kind of calculation for each element. Radar makes it even worse, sometimes I simply can't leave my flight seat when I go to some really dense area like the districts or The Dome.

It is well known that DU does voxel operations using the CPU only. NQ even used to brag about it in a "Voxel operations using AVX instructions" whitepaper.

And since they never managed to do a proper decoupling of CPU, network/disk and GPU operations, you then get a "worst of all worlds" scenario dropping frames if any resource is lagging.

That is also leaving out industry changes regarding which AVX command sets will be on future hardware.  It wouldn't kill DU but it could introduce even more complexity.

On 9/7/2023 at 3:10 AM, CptLoRes said:

To my knowledge it is only AVX-512 that Intel is dropping on selected CPU's, so DU (AVX / AVX2?) should be safe in that regard.

I don't recall the pair of articles that I read but you're probably right.  I do recall having the impression that DU may face compatibility issues down the road.

What is the potential of AVX commands being interfaced with a translation layer to use RT or other hardware?