Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
aliensalmon

How could they make the planets more interesting?

Recommended Posts

Just wanted to hear your ideas. I think a common complaint about this game is that the planets aren't very interesting.

 

I said in another topic they could add other moving beings such as wildlife and robotic machines, but another user said that it would be difficult to implement. I was thinking of varying the landscapes a bit more. Thades's large canyon is a good example of a unique feature that makes the planet look interesting. For example, maybe have the Alioth trees look more varied (with different shapes and sizes?) Maybe add some effects such as mist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On spherical planets, extreme weather, fog, dynamic liquids like lava would be nice. 

 

Edit: also ancient stone cities. 

 

That frozen cloud world from interstellar was nice. 

 

But i would love to see a asteroid belt 200SU long

 

Or a broken planet with a huge chunk separated by a 20km gap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joaocordeiro said:

On spherical planets, extreme weather, fog, dynamic liquids like lava would be nice. 

 

That frozen cloud would from interstellar was nice. 

 

But i would love to see a asteroid belt 200SU long

 

Or a broken planet with a huge chunk separated by a 20km gap. 

Those are all great ideas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get rid of mining for wood and let us cut trees for wood.

 

Fishing - this is really easy fauna interaction since they don't have to actually implement living fish (that's why it's a mainstay of MMOs). 

 

Of course, fishing only makes sense if they add an eating survival mechanic, and, yes, I'll include that as an idea. Plus other survival mechanics - air supply, water, sleep, bathroom. We don't need detailed play on this stuff - just make it a nerf if you don't lie down on a bed for a few seconds every eight hours.

 

Other NPC and fauna interactions. Alas, this would be huge since they really have no way to implement NPCs when everything happens in the client. Includes mission givers and hunting.

 

Weather - again, hard to do when everything is in the client, but not as hard as NPCs since we don't have to see the same raindrops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

Get rid of mining for wood and let us cut trees for wood.

 

Fishing - this is really easy fauna interaction since they don't have to actually implement living fish (that's why it's a mainstay of MMOs). 

 

Of course, fishing only makes sense if they add an eating survival mechanic, and, yes, I'll include that as an idea. Plus other survival mechanics - air supply, water, sleep, bathroom. We don't need detailed play on this stuff - just make it a nerf if you don't lie down on a bed for a few seconds every eight hours.

 

Other NPC and fauna interactions. Alas, this would be huge since they really have no way to implement NPCs when everything happens in the client. Includes mission givers and hunting.

 

Weather - again, hard to do when everything is in the client, but not as hard as NPCs since we don't have to see the same raindrops.

These are also good ideas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We fantasised a lot during Alpha (and even before it) about things like this. Only problem, with NQ developing priorities it all sounds almost impossible (or so far in future, that currently irrelevant).

 

Thing is, all this stuff is "meat on bones", nice thing to have, when base is working.

 

NQ development still stuck on level of macro "bones" systems, and even there they suffering from some sort of chronic calcium defeciency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just add static npc's as elements. It can be done in SE so why not here? Give them a text option and its gameboy-like-pokemon-style interactive too!

Better than a empty freeport city! And with that we could make our own stories and mysteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

We fantasised a lot during Alpha (and even before it) about things like this. Only problem, with NQ developing priorities it all sounds almost impossible (or so far in future, that currently irrelevant).

 

Thing is, all this stuff is "meat on bones", nice thing to have, when base is working.

 

NQ development still stuck on level of macro "bones" systems, and even there they suffering from some sort of chronic calcium defeciency.

Completely agree, but brainstorming is good for the brain... and the soul...

 

3 hours ago, Sabretooth said:

Just add static npc's as elements. It can be done in SE so why not here? Give them a text option and its gameboy-like-pokemon-style interactive too!

Better than a empty freeport city! And with that we could make our own stories and mysteries.

as elements? So we would make them in a factory and script their (conversational) behavior in Lua? I like it.

 

We can already kind of do this (requires god-like voxelmancy skills lol), but it would be better with a selection of character elements with appropriate lua methods included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, joaocordeiro said:

On spherical planets, extreme weather, fog, dynamic liquids like lava would be nice. 

 

Edit: also ancient stone cities. 

 

That frozen cloud world from interstellar was nice. 

 

But i would love to see a asteroid belt 200SU long

 

Or a broken planet with a huge chunk separated by a 20km gap. 

This would be good.  

I would also add, Make the planets rotate around the sun.  Not constant.  But weekly resets will move them around their orbit a certain distance depending on planet and distance form the sun.  That way the warp cost would be different every week, and there would be an 'ideal' time to warp to certain planets from other planets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, aliensalmon said:

Just wanted to hear your ideas. I think a common complaint about this game is that the planets aren't very interesting.

 

I said in another topic they could add other moving beings such as wildlife and robotic machines, but another user said that it would be difficult to implement. I was thinking of varying the landscapes a bit more. Thades's large canyon is a good example of a unique feature that makes the planet look interesting. For example, maybe have the Alioth trees look more varied (with different shapes and sizes?) Maybe add some effects such as mist?

Unique ore on some planets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

This would be good.  

I would also add, Make the planets rotate around the sun.  Not constant.  But weekly resets will move them around their orbit a certain distance depending on planet and distance form the sun.  That way the warp cost would be different every week, and there would be an 'ideal' time to warp to certain planets from other planets.  

Rotation isnt coming. NQ stated that years ago because of elements in space and collision if the planet rotates and your ship is in its orbit around the sun.

7 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

as elements? So we would make them in a factory and script their (conversational) behavior in Lua? I like it.

 

We can already kind of do this (requires god-like voxelmancy skills lol), but it would be better with a selection of character elements with appropriate lua methods included.

Yes we should be able to make npc's in factories. npc sitting on a chair or npc laying on a bed. We have bio-mass ingame, add some iron, carbon and oxygen and we are off.

If lua can input answers it would be great! like choose answer a, b or c. Then we can make a 1 person adventure in a living game!!

Also have a kind of 'dispenser' option for the npc-element. So when you are making an adventure you have to 'trade' stuff with the right npc for you to progress. Talk about creating missions, uh-huh uh-huh!!

 

They better add this in the 0.25 update!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sabretooth said:

Rotation isnt coming. NQ stated that years ago because of elements in space and collision if the planet rotates and your ship is in its orbit around the sun.

People want FFA PVP so they can destroy anyone at anytime, but we can't have rotation because a planet might destroy your ship??

Jesus Christ, the priorities in this game are completely out of whack...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

People want FFA PVP so they can destroy anyone at anytime, but we can't have rotation because a planet might destroy your ship??

Jesus Christ, the priorities in this game are completely out of whack...

They could just add a warning if you are in a planet orbit ... seems more like an engine limitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pacman-1 said:

Unique ore on some planets.

Not just unique ore, but there should be some high tier elements which are much easier to make on one planet than another... like one planet has all the ore you need for that item. That (and unique ore) will encourage hauling other than bulk ore hauling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...