Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, 

A Devblog is coming (very) soon about griefing protection (and more info about the differences between Secure Areas and Non-Secure Areas).

 

@Hades:

There will be only one Secure Area (around the Arkship)... at the beginning. More can be discovered later by the players, once the game will be officially launched.

 

@Captain Jack:

To answer the question of your first post in the thread
If the forest is located in a Secure Area, yes it will be totally possible to be in this kind of context ;)

That's the whole point of having Secure Areas in the game.

 

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

 

@Hades:

There will be only one Secure Area (around the Arkship)... at the beginning. More can be discovered later by the players, once the game will be officially launched.

 

Oh wow, that’s actually really interesting.  And now that you mention that, I do recall reading that awhile ago.

 

Can’t wait for the devblog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

There will be only one Secure Area (around the Arkship)... at the beginning. More can be discovered later by the players, once the game will be officially launched.

Little pockets of commerce, surrounded by vast expanses of no man's land. I hope the safe zones are marked by purple unicorn icons on the maps. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CommanderLouiz said:

What about pink unicorns?

8 hours ago, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

There will be only one Secure Area (around the Arkship)... at the beginning. More can be discovered later by the players, once the game will be officially launched.

 

Discovered, as in created by the players or already assembled and/or being permanently secured like the one around the current and future Arkships? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarkHorizon said:

Discovered, as in created by the players or already assembled and/or being permanently secured like the one around the current and future Arkships? 

I took it to mean as already assembled, and discoverable.  Curious how that will play out.  Will there be pre-constructed areas as well?  Or just a plot of land with an apparent invincibility to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of talk on this subject that simply falls through the cracks, taking side-tangents, specifics too far and losing the overall picture and then the sentiment misdirection when conversing.

 

Let's use some building blocks:-

 

Primary

 

Dual Universe is primarily a building game due to voxel space. We can tag this "SANDBOX"

 

Secondary

 

Dual Universe is secondarily an interaction game due to freedom of player interactions possible: Trade, Combat, Politics. We can tag this "SIMULATION"

 

The Primary container requires:-

 

1. Building investment TIME

2. Building investment PERSISTENCE

3. Building investment VALUE

4. Building investment COMPLEXITY

 

This has to lay the foundations and be the Base of the Pyramid of INCENTIVES driving player behaviour.

 

The Secondary container requires:-

 

1. Territory Control

2. Visceral Combat

3. Destruction of Assets

4, Changing of Power in Groups

etc...

 

But I'd say the Secondary must never engulf the Primary.

 

Hence the official line from DU: Safe Zones is a simple communication to order players who want emphasis on the PRIMARY and de-emphasis on the Secondary sufficiently to feel it's worth INVESTING into DU.

 

Over time DU will need to ensure the PRESSURES of the Secondary are self-balancing in frequency and magnitude as the PRIMARY has a MUCH HIGHER POPULATION CAPACITY for playing players. Which in any case drives the emergence of Simulation once populations populate the virtual world.

 

Hope these rough thoughts help conceptualize and perhaps avoid the interminable pvp no yes no yes pve  old mores of the old genre of mmorpg. Let's use more applicable terms for Virtual World MMOs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MookMcMook said:

There's a lot of talk on this subject that simply falls through the cracks, taking side-tangents, specifics too far and losing the overall picture and then the sentiment misdirection when conversing.

 

Let's use some building blocks:-

 

Primary

 

Dual Universe is primarily a building game due to voxel space. We can tag this "SANDBOX"

What you did here is assume building is the absolute feature and trumps combat in every way by saying "the secondary should never engulf the primary"

This is completely subjective to your own desires. Theres multiple equally important major features, building and PvP are definitely two major features, you are disregarding this by categorising major features as secondary like combat and trade  to your personal favourite element that is Building in this case. This mindset is something that will lead you to complain about PvP as soon as you feel it hinders you from doing your Building in peace. 

 

Ponder this:

How about people stop demanding to be sheltered and learn how to build while coping with the threat of PvP? Like in a lot of examples from before, make sure you dont chose a dumb ass location to build on, hire protection/hide it if you need to. Even then in the expansive world that is DU chances are nobody will attack you for a long while because of how vast everything is and how long time it may take to gain power enough to cause major damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zamarus said:

Ponder this:

How about people stop demanding to be sheltered and learn how to build while coping with the threat of PvP? Like in a lot of examples from before, make sure you dont chose a dumb ass location to build on, hire protection/hide it if you need to. Even then in the expansive world that is DU chances are nobody will attack you for a long while because of how vast everything is and how long time it may take to gain power enough to cause major damage.

Because that engulfs everything else in PvP.  You are doing the exact thing from a different perspective that you accuse @MookMcMook of doing.  I think we've all put our points of view out there now, though, and we'll have to rely on NQ and their vision to decide how they implement it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Felonu said:

You are doing the exact thing from a different perspective that you accuse @MookMcMook of doing. 

Actually no. I'm not downplaying building at all, i'm saying that all major features both building and PvP isn't above one and another at all and players will have to solve every situation in the game with their own brain. What has been advocated is for PvP to be secondary to building and with that ways of protecting the building element from the evils of PvP. Vastly different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zamarus said:

Actually no. I'm not downplaying building at all, i'm saying that all major features both building and PvP isn't above one and another at all and players will have to solve every situation in the game with their own brain. What has been advocated is for PvP to be secondary to building and with that ways of protecting the building element from the evils of PvP. Vastly different

I think NQ understands this, and in the end that’s all that matters.  NQ wants an impactful game, and we are going to get it :).  The game won’t be easy, I think they’ve stated that in every single blog ever.  Especially so for the single players, small packs.  I’m primarily a small group player, and I understand what that means... it just seems these people don’t.  Which is fine, they’ll find out for sure.

 

When NQ says it’s a difficult game for single players it’s not because production times are higher.  If that WERE the case, they’d say it’s more time consuming, not more difficult.  The reason it’s difficult for single players and smaller groups is because they need to be novel when it comes to protecting their assets.

 

If that worries you, just stick to safe zones primarily... as apparently there will be multiple.  However, the most profitable adventures will require stepping out of that safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zamarus said:

How about people stop demanding to be sheltered and learn how to build while coping with the threat of PvP? 

Nope sorry.

 

PVP is optional.  And i'm not really interested.

 

I don't expect to be able to do everything in the game all the time since i'm not really interested in PVP.

 

Why can't you accept that you won't be able to attack everyone all the time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hades said:

I think NQ understands this, and in the end that’s all that matters.  NQ wants an impactful game, and we are going to get it :).  The game won’t be easy, I think they’ve stated that in every single blog ever.  Especially so for the single players, small packs.  I’m primarily a small group player, and I understand what that means... it just seems these people don’t.  Which is fine, they’ll find out for sure.

 

When NQ says it’s a difficult game for single players it’s not because production times are higher.  If that WERE the case, they’d say it’s more time consuming, not more difficult.  The reason it’s difficult for single players and smaller groups is because they need to be novel when it comes to protecting their assets.

 

If that worries you, just stick to safe zones primarily... as apparently there will be multiple.  However, the most profitable adventures will require stepping out of that safety.

First, I appreciate your interpretation of the statements, but I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion. 

Second, I don't have a problem with the game being hard, and I don't think anybody is asking for all risk to be removed.  All the OP asked for was the ability to walk through a forest (most likely when noone knows you) and not have every ship that flies over try to kill you just because you're there.  Personally all I would really want is for there to be a cost to attacking someone that will make it not worth it to kill every single person you come across.  If attacking others doesn't cost much, then people won't need any reason to attack others than that they can.  They won't care if they loose sometimes, or they might anger some big org.  That is what is fun to some people.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Nope sorry.

 

PVP is optional.  And i'm not really interested.

 

I don't expect to be able to do everything in the game all the time since i'm not really interested in PVP.

 

Why can't you accept that you won't be able to attack everyone all the time?

I already have accepted  that. And it's called the arkship safezone, nothing else 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zamarus said:

I already have accepted  that. And it's called the arkship safezone, nothing else 

So over 99% of the game should be for PvPers, and the safezone should be the only place you have a chance to not be always killed?  Like I said you are advocating PvP to be the feature that trumps every other aspect of gameplay.  Remember being in a big org with defenses and protections doesn't actually protect anyone.  How about people not demand that almost noone can play the game without threat of PvP shadowing them constantly.

 

I want there to be a middle ground.  I want the game to have PvP available everywhere outside the safe zone.  I want there to be a possibility of loss if you leave the safety of the Ark ship.  I just don't want to feel like you have to be constantly in PvP if you leave.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Felonu said:

So over 99% of the game should be for PvPers, and the safezone should be the only place you have a chance to not be always killed?  Like I said you are advocating PvP to be the feature that trumps every other aspect of gameplay.  Remember being in a big org with defenses and protections doesn't actually protect anyone.  How about people not demand that almost noone can play the game without threat of PvP shadowing them constantly.

 

I want there to be a middle ground.  I want the game to have PvP available everywhere outside the safe zone.  I want there to be a possibility of loss if you leave the safety of the Ark ship.  I just don't want to feel like you have to be constantly in PvP if you leave.  

Just because PvP is enabled in 99% of the world does not mean PvP will occur on every single cubic meter outside the safezone, people are worrying too much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zamarus said:

I already have accepted  that. And it's called the arkship safezone, nothing else 

And all the other safezones planned that were literally mentioned at the top of this page.

 

Those too. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Atmosph3rik said:

And all the other safezones planned that were literally mentioned at the top of this page.

 

Those too. ;)

When people discover them on remote planets in the distant future or so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zamarus said:

Just because PvP is enabled in 99% of the world does not mean PvP will occur on every single cubic meter outside the safezone, people are worrying too much 

I truly believe that if people have a chance to get more from a newbie with a barely flying craft that can barely make it off the planet than it takes to kill that ship that it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Felonu said:

I truly believe that if people have a chance to get more from a newbie with a barely flying craft that can barely make it off the planet than it takes to kill that ship that it will be.

So create a law enforcement agency of some kind.  The whole point of this game is it’s player directed.  So direct.  I don’t think it will be much of an issue, but if you do... create an organization that enforces newbie protection around the starting planet.  Would be pretty easy to accomplish... could create a terminal at the ark ship that someone can submit a claim to your organization.

 

It would start it reactive, but once word spreads...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Felonu said:

I truly believe that if people have a chance to get more from a newbie with a barely flying craft that can barely make it off the planet than it takes to kill that ship that it will be.

I think that fear is irrational. Seeing as with the vast space provided with the travel distances, cover to hide and be protected by environment you're not very likely to be attacked very often as any individual located somewhere outside the safezone in the universe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zamarus said:

I think that fear is irrational. Seeing as with the vast space provided with the travel distances, cover to hide and be protected by environment you're not very likely to be attacked very often as any individual located somewhere outside the safezone in the universe

That’s another really good point.  Why fly all the way back to shoot down a few newbies?  I imagine most of the vets at the arkship will be recruiters.  Shooting down newbies is a poor recruitment tool haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...