Confusion

Ghezra

I must admit, I'm a little confused.

Novaquark released the in-game pre-alpha footage. It looked awesome, it was smooth, it conveyed all of the tech they promised and it showed how it was possible to have the vision they have.

Yet, when I went on the subreddit, 133 subscribed.

I come on the forums, and there are just a couple dozen active people.

WHAT is HAPPENING. I feel like I've gone insane.

How can this game not have a larger following? We've been griping as a community for a game like this for years. Years and years. Practically every day there are posts in Space Engineers of people wishing for a larger scope, more multiplayer. Every day on the No Mans Sky reddit about wishing for multiplayer and more customization. Every day in modded minecraft about something new and progressive but somehow keeps that emergent game-play.

These are very different games, every one of them, and yet the ideals they dream for are almost all contained in Dual Universe.

There are so many broken promises out there, Unsung Story, Broken Age, Areal, Sticks and Starships, Planet Explorers, on and on. Games that never even made it to the stage that Dual Universe is showing as a PRE Alpha.

I'm telling all of my friends. I'm sharing photos and videos like a 35 year old woman who just got her third cat. And I hope you are all doing the same.

This is a game we have all been waiting for for a long time. Let's make sure they know it.

The game was only recently released at E3 and hasn't been really publicly know for very long. Also while there are a few videos there is no where near the same amount that NMS and SE have. There are also a number of people just lurking and waiting for that time where they can play the game.

I've told everyone I know personally several times.

Some are just pessimists and don't like to wait for a game. Dont want to get their hopes up.

Others just dont care, they are burned out on kick starters, green lights and everything.

And MANY MANY "GAMERS" just want to complain about something. They do not want to contribute any ideas, they just want to say something and sound important, but dont actually care about games.

Like Neopolitan said, most people I know are jaded when it comes to talk of games like this. Some won't even talk about it, because they feel it isn't worth their time.

I say, just wait for it to come out and say "I told you so".

Once the alpha hits and people can see that the game can deliver then you will see the hype train pull in and in a big way. I know I have 10 or 11 people that are just waiting for me to buy before they even consider buying.

Once the alpha hits and people can see that the game can deliver then you will see the hype train pull in and in a big way. There are tons of people just

yes, but it will be a closed alpha so a lot of people will still be skeptical as they don't have hands on experience with the game, only what content creators show them

yes, but it will be a closed alpha so a lot of people will still be skeptical as they don't have hands on experience with the game, only what content creators show them.

I know there are gonna have a closed alpha, but I thought I heard somewhere they may have alpha access for early adopters. That and you know they are gonna let some youtubers in.

Don't worry good sir. The herds will come into the game when they see a youtuber trying the game and seeing automated mechs acting as sentinels or pets.

or a minecraft youtuber falls in love in something better than minecraft, he he, where he can build his house on the orbit, and MINE LIKE CRAZY WITH THE DRONES.

or a minecraft youtuber falls in love in something better than minecraft, he he, where he can build his house on the orbit, and MINE LIKE CRAZY WITH THE DRONES.

True story this. I once helped a friend of mine set up a Minecraft server for his RP/Fantasy Minecraft theme. He was one of the most reknown for his designs of spawn areas in the minecraft community in europe, until real life got in the way. Anywho, when I shown him DUAL and how it would work, he was like 

"So James... I get to build spaceships out of voxels... and then I can program them... and they won't have to look like cartons of milk... when's the Alpha starting you said?"

If an avid and borderline fanatic minecrafter like him that called Landmark a "wannabe" (when it was not a corporate cashgrab that is), said something like that, I can't see lesser fans of minecraft not swarming towards DUAL. IT's like Minecraft servers merging into one, super-server.

I think there's quite a bit of interest for a pre-alpha game, and that will grow in time. Novaquark as a name probably isn't so well known and so I imagine a lot of people are taking a 'watch and see' approach at the moment.

Indeed, as sad it is to admit, brand recognition is a thing, and it's a thing NQ has to build up to for the layman.

True story this. I once helped a friend of mine set up a Minecraft server for his RP/Fantasy Minecraft theme. He was one of the most reknown for his designs of spawn areas in the minecraft community in europe, until real life got in the way. Anywho, when I shown him DUAL and how it would work, he was like 

"So James... I get to build spaceships out of voxels... and then I can program them... and they won't have to look like cartons of milk... when's the Alpha starting you said?"

If an avid and borderline fanatic minecrafter like him that called Landmark a "wannabe" (when it was not a corporate cashgrab that is), said something like that, I can't see lesser fans of minecraft not swarming towards DUAL. IT's like Minecraft servers merging into one, super-server.

Hehe, that story made me grin.

Maybe community along with the devs should make it kind of a selling point, attracting the mass of Minecraft lovers out there with a witty video from alpha stage about being an uber-miner in an endless galaxy full of resourceful planets, chunky asteroids and sizeable mining ships of very individual design :D

edit: along with a giant mech looking like minecraft figure, using laser drills shooting from his arms to gather resources, hehe.

Hehe, that story made me grin.

Maybe community along with the devs should make it kind of a selling point, attracting the mass of Minecraft lovers out there with a witty video from alpha stage about being an uber-miner in an endless galaxy full of resourceful planets, chunky asteroids and sizeable mining ships of very individual design :D

edit: along with a giant mech looking like minecraft figure, using laser drills shooting from his arms to gather resources, hehe.

PROJECT : MechaSteve confirmed.

i have gotten the word out to a number of people, they all found the idea interesting but where rather reserved.

but there just is not very much that has been released yet. and people don't seem to want to get their hopes up when a game is this early in production. too many failed kick starters and steam green lights seems to be the theme of their apprehension.

once we start seeing some solid alpha video with more game features i think the hype might start getting a bit more noticeable.

I gave up on getting what people chose and don't chose long ago. When no space sim MMO was out yet, people yearned for one years and years, like, "Imagine Elite, but every other ship is controlled by a player - wow!". Than Jumpgate came out delivering exactly that - even improving on other space sims in many aspects even if it had been just a singleplayer game. And nobody cared. It stayed a niche game for more than a decade despite it's briliance - for me it is still the best space MMO that ever existed, and I think most of those who played it would agree. But most fans of Elite never played it or even heard of it. (It would have been easy to find at the time by just googling "space MMO".)

A small (but still profitable) niche can actually be a good thing though. Like, if thousands of ships in one battle (which I think is a silly and overrated goal anyway) won't happen simply because there are not enough players to make this a likely event in DU, there is no longer an excuse for dull tab targeting instead of satisfying combat mechanics.

How can this game not have a larger following? We've been griping as a community for a game like this for years. Years and years.

The game will grow a larger community, when more infos will be known to the devs and communitcated. What do we have?

• A game with full groundbased pvp and fully destructable environment on ONE planet (while most people dream of exploring a space sim)
  • A game which only offers tools, but no real content. People tend to consume content, most don't like to do something to be entertained
  • Many interesting questions in the current Q&A thread offer "we might add in the future" answers to things quite vital to a game to succeed

All this combined is quite underwhelming. DU seems to sound great at first glance, but it simply does not offer enough to get people hooked. I was looking for a space sim. I don't care for groundbased pvp hacking my way around to collect ressources for weeks to build a ship which can't even leave the starsystem. I see the option to destroy everything not as an advantage, because it will discourage people to build something, when they have to fear it will be destroyed after they log on next.

Pvp on ground is offered in a wide variaty of games. Destructable terrain will only hook so many. DU can only score with its customizable spaceships at a large scale and of course something to do with them other to bring them down again.

Currently I get the feeling the devs only have some ideas but lack the big picture of the game. And after talking to other potential customers, I am not the only one with this feeling. Fanboys will cry "Pre-Alpha, what do you expect", I know, but currently DU is not much more than a vision and it will show at the kickstarter. DU seriously lacks many different types of content(either way the game is intended to go) to get much more people interested. You have only so many people interested in raw pvp and onyl so many interested in minecraft like building and both type of players don't mix well, if you ask me.

I don't want to rant, DU intrigues me, but currently (pre-alpha, I named it) there is not much to it to attract masses.

I'm also surprised.

Indeed, maybe there is little to no advertising/communication about it. And frankly I don't think it's a bad thing for the moment considering alpha will be in 2017, beta in 2018... I'm tired of all these greedy editors/devs that over communicate in pre-alpha stages about their "revolutionary" games, to end up selling unfinished/buggy games.

A working game, with smooth and stable gameplay is surely the best advertising.
Free open betas should be opportunities for honest devs to test their 99% finished multiplayer game on large scales, and to create real justified hypes.

So imo here is the 2nd explanation : the ambient scepticism. Particularly for an ambitious project like this, it simply looks too good to be true.

A good example of it : here this guy may over suspecting things, but I must admit he's quite funny, and I can understand him ^^
Even Jean-Christophe Baillie said that it's perfectly normal to have doubts about their game in this interview (at 20:20, the whole interview is very interesting btw).

That Bluedrake guy is just an inflated ego. He spread terribly false accusations about the game and was proven wrong.

Can you blame him? The game industry is full of bull when it comes to game features. Other Devs would have said something like "well... uhm.... you are mean Bluedrake!" but NovaQuark shut him down time and time again. And he admitted he was wrong and was wrecked. Give props where it's due good sir. Say what you will on Bluedrake, but he admits his mistakes.