what kind of stupid society....

Guest Neon Elf

Guest Neon Elf

.....has teleporters for elevators, but hast to dig thru the ground like mole to find ore? This is the stupidest mining system I've seen. I spent 45 mintues and I can't find something underground. It is physically impossible to not have something moving closer or farther away when you move, how does the distance stay the same no matter which way I run? I dig down, no change. I go north, no change. I'm withing 30m and I can't find it, the directional can't pick it up either. This is so annoying.

Try to queue up some scanner and detector talents as soon as possible, if you haven't already.  it will make things a lot easier.

Increasing the range of the scanner is probably the most important overall.  But increasing how often the scanner pings, and increasing the range of the directional detector really made it a lot less frustrating for me.

When you're stuck try digging a short tunnel in all four directions, north, south, east, west.  See which one gives you a dip in the graph.  If none of them gives you a decent dip, pick the one that gives you the slightest decline, and then dig two more tunnels in that same general direction, one going up and one going down at 45 degrees, and see if either of those gives you a dip in the graph.

The type where teleporters require a pair of pads to operate and where anything but a perfect link ends up with the poor schelp splattered all over a wall or the teleporter to explode....warhammer 40k comes to mind here. Hell even in star trek a non perfect lock ended up with people going splatter.

As for mining we know autominers and even hand tools are coming eventually. Right now we just have the core systems in place. Plus mining is really not that hard. Just boring.

8 hours ago, Guest Neon Elf said:

.....has teleporters for elevators, but hast to dig thru the ground like mole to find ore? This is the stupidest mining system I've seen. I spent 45 mintues and I can't find something underground. It is physically impossible to not have something moving closer or farther away when you move, how does the distance stay the same no matter which way I run? I dig down, no change. I go north, no change. I'm withing 30m and I can't find it, the directional can't pick it up either. This is so annoying.

Instant gratification is something we dont want especially now in day 1. The more you play, the more talents you train the better it will be.

8 hours ago, Guest Neon Elf said:

I spent 45 mintues and I can't find something underground.

You have to be extremly unlucky or .... ehm. T1 ore is so common you have to find it without scanner in 10 min with just blind digging. in 45 min i can mine 150 000 L of T1 ore. You really should look at some tutorials before you criticize something.

11 hours ago, Guest Neon Elf said:

It is the same inconsistency as having a tesseract-like gun which can store thousands of liters of matter and infinite mass, but at the same time to leave the atmosphere your ship requires 20-th century combustion technology. 

Here's my one paragraph mining tutorial.

Walk in the surface until the line of your ore is at its lowest.  Dig straight down until the line flattens again.  Press L for light and elevation.  Dig in any cardinal direction (NESW) at 0 degrees of inclination.   If the line stays flat, turn 90 degrees.  If it rises, turn 180 degrees, it if falls then bingo.  If it appears flat in 4 cardinal directions then it's above or below you.  Repeat until you hit ore.  Use the detector (4) when you are about 30m away.  Move slowly looking for it.  You can also hit alt plus mousewheel to toggle a smaller scale scanner (40m instead of 400m).

More:

Get in the habit of back filling dead tunnels (dig with "collect non valuable ore" toggled) by alt+ dig to fill.

It's quicker, at the beginning, to leave the way you came in. When your digging hole is big enough its trivial to get out if a t1 or t2 hole.

Don't neglect vigor, cardio (it makes getting out of a hole easier), nanopack limit and container link distance talents.

5 hours ago, Eleete said:

Instant gratification is something we dont want especially now in day 1. The more you play, the more talents you train the better it will be.

Meh, mining does suck. I don't think it's difficult, but it is boring. For how monotonous it is, the concept isn't very clear to new players.

It isn't like the OP gave up immediately because they want "instant gratification", they tried until they got frustrated...regardless, they aren't the first person to complain about mining -- and complaining about this bad system doesn't somehow mean you are demanding instant gratification. 

Big difference between something being hard because it's difficult and something being hard because it is brain-numbingly monotonous... 

14 hours ago, michaelk said:

Meh, mining does suck. I don't think it's difficult, but it is boring. For how monotonous it is, the concept isn't very clear to new players.

It isn't like the OP gave up immediately because they want "instant gratification", they tried until they got frustrated...regardless, they aren't the first person to complain about mining -- and complaining about this bad system doesn't somehow mean you are demanding instant gratification. 

Big difference between something being hard because it's difficult and something being hard because it is brain-numbingly monotonous... 

in which mmo grind and farming was fun ? ARK survival ? Rust? They will add auto mining someday