Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if there are any plans for liquid storage, like water, I am hoping to have a space station with a lake but when moving said lake, I imagine there may be issue with moving the ship and expecting the water to stay put.  And I am also curious about being able to hack others terminals for blueprints or data stored like sabatage in pvp areas, and another question about being able to set up something like a jump gate facility to help other ships to get to their destinations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too would like a space station with a lake, or a ship with a pond or something along those lines.

 

The mechanics around water haven't been fully discussed yet, we know that right now there are no "Water physics" (there are many interview questions around the topic), and it's a bit of a complicated problem to solve in a single shard universe. It's hard to scale that kind of stuff up properly without bringing incredible performance drops to the rest of the game (same reason we won't have an atmospheric ship pressure).

 

Water, nevertheless, is an important thing for them to solve in the long run. Whether or not we get to carry water with us in our ships like that is a whole other question, but I hope that at the very least they solve the issues around water on planets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess we will get liquid handling someday.

But keep in mind, that it is a bit server intensive. One reason games like Landmark had fake water ... and when you build into it, you had an submarine undergroudn base with water in it.

 

And who wants a lake to swim in Zero G ... that's a death trap right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following Sofernius, i would love to see the possibility to build underwater and with no water in it, make the water like in creativerse or something, a unit, then the unit can also be "gathered and with that you should be able to empty a base of water. But no idea if that is an issue or possible.

 

But in that case: I also propose to introduce a water pump system, also needed for irrigation of vegetables and stuff maybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

voxel farm does indeed already have flowing water, gravity effects on constructs etc. atmosphere is just thin invisible 'water' from a programming point of view. but the processing power to bring that into the game is probably cost prohibitive at this time. just speculation of course. I know nothing official.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26.6.2018 at 4:05 PM, Tordan said:

voxel farm does indeed already have flowing water, gravity effects on constructs etc. atmosphere is just thin invisible 'water' from a programming point of view. but the processing power to bring that into the game is probably cost prohibitive at this time. just speculation of course. I know nothing official.

If you ever automatically poured docents of buckets of water in minecraft, you know that it burns servers.

 

And voxel water burns even more. ^^

 

But i guess, a makeshift "non flowing" static water might work as "ressource that is mineable too".

Keep in mind, that they didn't want to give us transparent blocks ... for reasons i can't remember but most likely are "server stuff".

 

I had a demo of that voxel water, the real flowing kind, once seen at gamescom ... it looks pretty and is crazy fun.

But imageing the server room lit up like a christmas tree which got to close to the sun xD.

 

@Aron Cain Pumps don't need water. A simple visual effect will do, even if you place them into the desert... they just condense air humitiy with ... magic and science!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

indeed, performance will be tested severe, but maybe they can come with an idea that might work and not kill the server

Chicken or Egg.

 

xD

 

You can't have one without the other.

Something came first, but they're a pair bound together.

 

Surely they can try, but i guess it's not on the priority list yet.

Rather would like to see the server running smoothly after the update ;3.

 

But yeah, flowing water would be cool...

I could make a pool, fountains and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only best way I can see to have water in the game aside from the water layer we have in planets is to have water simply be invisible, a number, a calculation if you will.

 

We don't need to see water to see the effects of water. It's much like with fuel in a fuel tank, you don't see it when you're driving on the road, but you know that it's working since you're going somewhere.

 

Say you have a lake and a water storage unit and you're by a large body of water. You can build a series of pipes off one of the storage inlets into the water, then push a button and the tank will fill with water. Deconstruct the pipes and take off. You now have a container full of water and did not see any water physically move from one location to the other. The only other overhead would be the end of the pipe needing to be below the surface of the water for it to collect water which my simple mind can imagine wouldn't be too hard to do. Or would it?...

 

Now let's say you want to move that water from the storage tank into a holding tank used to cool an engine or some other heat producing but intolerant component. Connect the two tanks together, and when the engine component reaches a certain temperature, a certain amount of water flows from the storage tank and cools the engine down to a certain temperature. Again, we didn't see the water doing anything physically complex, but we can see that it is still doing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/06/2018 at 8:30 PM, DarkHorizon said:

The only best way I can see to have water in the game aside from the water layer we have in planets is to have water simply be invisible, a number, a calculation if you will.

That's not the issue, water as a resource inside a closed container is no different to a container full of ore. Using water in the game in that way is the same as using any crafting material.

 

The problem arises when you want to pour that water out of the container and into a pool, so that you can swim in it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Water as a commodity is definitely something i'd like to see.  In terms of collecting it and buying and selling it.  But that's easy.

 

Water as a part of the game world with dynamic physics would be a lot of fun to play with.  But I don't honestly think it would add enough to the game to be worth the effort.

 

But in a game where we're creating and building environments I do hope we get some way to visually add something that looks like water.  For swimming pools, fountains, ponds and lakes ect.  It's amazing what the shimmer of a little light reflecting off some water does for the visual appeal of a build.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is one major issue with water..... it flows.

 

Any simple water form would be messed up by simply crafting the sides of the container away, be it a tank, a lake, river, or sea.

 

For water to act like water in the game would be the same time that NQ works out a way for ships/constructs to be air tight. At the moment there is no such thing in DU due to the server strain it would introduce.

 

This 'boundary flow effect' is needed on water as it is in air, and currently doesnt exist.

 

Maybe in the far future when hardware is more powerful, or a less server stressful way is found of doing it.

 

If implemented in a half way manner it would end up being very odd, breaking immersion. For example coming across a small lake just floating in mid air as the ground around and under it has been mined away. (Though oddly a big of mountain floating in mid air is easier to accept)

 

I would prefer it be done right when introduced, or not at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoreVamore said:

This 'boundary flow effect' is needed on water as it is in air, and currently doesnt exist.

 

Maybe in the far future when hardware is more powerful, or a less server stressful way is found of doing it.

 

If implemented in a half way manner it would end up being very odd, breaking immersion. For example coming across a small lake just floating in mid air as the ground around and under it has been mined away. (Though oddly a big of mountain floating in mid air is easier to accept)

 

I would prefer it be done right when introduced, or not at all.

 

Wait so we're requiring 100% realistic physics now or nothing?  We might as well cancel the whole game then.

 

Does that mean we shouldn't have decorative toilet elements unless the turds swirl when you flush them?

 

This is a game of creation.  We have the ability to create things that make no sense.  It's just part of the freedom that comes with building.  

  • Land floating in the air
  • Ships with engines that aren't attached to other parts of the ship but the whole thing moves as a solid unit
  • Floating Arcships made of something called Kyrium I think

It's up to us to build realistically.  If you want people to feel immersed in your building then you have to build it so it feels immersive.

 

But more importantly if they can give us something that adds a huge amount of aesthetic beauty to the game.  Why not?

 

Waiting for it to be 100% realistic makes no sense.  Especially when having it be 100% realistic adds almost nothing to the game.  Ok so everyone can build a lake and then delete the wall and watch all the water flow out.  Or put a tank of water on the roof and then wait around for some sucker to walk into your base so you can drown them.  Fun stuff but definitely a novelty that the game doesn't need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

 

Wait so we're requiring 100% realistic physics now or nothing?  We might as well cancel the whole game then.

 

Does that mean we shouldn't have decorative toilet elements unless the turds swirl when you flush them?

 

This is a game of creation.  We have the ability to create things that make no sense.  It's just part of the freedom that comes with building.  

  • Land floating in the air
  • Ships with engines that aren't attached to other parts of the ship but the whole thing moves as a solid unit
  • Floating Arcships made of something called Kyrium I think

It's up to us to build realistically.  If you want people to feel immersed in your building then you have to build it so it feels immersive.

 

But more importantly if they can give us something that adds a huge amount of aesthetic beauty to the game.  Why not?

 

Waiting for it to be 100% realistic makes no sense.  Especially when having it be 100% realistic adds almost nothing to the game.  Ok so everyone can build a lake and then delete the wall and watch all the water flow out.  Or put a tank of water on the roof and then wait around for some sucker to walk into your base so you can drown them.  Fun stuff but definitely a novelty that the game doesn't need.

I'm talking about large bodies of water, not toilet bowls :o Things are intrinsic and BIG parts of landscape, not swimming pools.

 

Sure, build your little moat/pool/fish tank - whatever, but unless large bodies of water are properly handled then its going to be a potential mess.

 

And as for space ships flying around without engines physically attached to them, which I havent seen nor heard of, then thats something to be worked out in the alpha's/betas/ etc so that cant happen. Its pretty silly afteral. :o

 

Kyrium is a future tech and part of the lore, it doesnt nullify that the universe's simpler elements, like water, air etc should behave as we know them to behave.

 

Water flowing is a major technical challenge, dismiss it if you will, doesnt change the fact.

 

There is nothing stopping a person from making a flat plane and making it water textured - assuming we can do that at some point. That gets you 90% of the way there.

 

But to have it not flow, and not behave like water, in massive volumes of water like rivers, lakes, seas, is an immersion breaker when encountering 'a river/lake floating in mid air'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

I'm talking about large bodies of water, not toilet bowls :o Things are intrinsic and BIG parts of landscape, not swimming pools.

 

Ok cool, you didn't mention that when you said

 

2 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

I would prefer it be done right when introduced, or not at all.

 

What I want is to be able to build swimming pools, and fish tanks, and fountains.  For the purpose of making the things I build realistic looking.

 

Having a 100% realistic game world would be neato.  But I would prefer that it's as realistic as feasibly possible, to nothing at all.

 

"Not at all" sounds boring. :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

same here, i want reality to a degree but not till it hinders. And the possibility to use water in any form is one of them, there is such beauti underwater in reality, why not in DU and it would be a shame not to be able to be there too in a building. Like im planning to build beach resorts, a whole range of them, and preferably i would love to extend those in the sea but i dont know if that will be possible. But the scenery would be just great.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are all really good suggestions but I was just thinking something simple like assigning a zone with a percentile range for both full empty and with an environmental aspect like the atmosphere for underwater atmo, but again single shard voxel environments are newer than my programming skills so I dont know if changing the hard surface of water with  zones of water placements would over kill CPU usage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point, i have no clue, but i know that it works in Creativerse. So technically you should be able to place Atmos voxels.  But think about the next, there are going to be space stations, there will be a system probably to have air there or atleast no complete vacuum. This system should also be usable under water. but that includes water being adjustable. Again i think creativerse has a nice solution for that. But to have water both fluid and adjustable is not going to work easily.  What i would propose is something like adding an airtight spec to special blocks that will keep air in and keep water out, this would also mean buoyancy is possible and ships. @NQ-Wanderer is this something maybe for the trello? Airtight blocks that keep air in and water out.  Only problem you then have when you build underwater is how to get the water out of your structure in the first place ;) But that would be very very interesting and a feature i don't think any other game like this has, except then creativerse where you can perfectly build underwater bases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×