Jump to content

Recommended Posts

How will the players travel to another star system? I've heard of star gates, but would ships also have warp drives to travel to other star systems in space? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think so.  The whole point of interstellar travel is that you have a link between both places, which is hard to accomplish.  You can’t just jump into the unknown, you actually have to travel and explore there first.  Rightly so imho 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read somewhere that to use any warping, you need and anchor point at both ends. So no ship-based warp drives.

 

Edit: found it: In one of Q&A with devs

"Tsunami: How exactly do you imagine FTL Engines (Faster than Light) and Stargates? How does it works?
NQ-Sophon: It’s a long topic, we will probably shoot a DevBlog on this. But the key idea is that for both, you’ll need anchor points at destination, that you need to setup first. Then you can travel faster between points of your network."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr_Rhino55 said:

What about between planets in a system? 

Engines.  NQ stated there will be a max speed, but it's hard to tell what that will be.  I imagine you could also create gates between planets, but it's just whether that's worth it or not.  Traveling will be an undertaking in DU, I imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Hades said:

Engines.  NQ stated there will be a max speed, but it's hard to tell what that will be.  I imagine you could also create gates between planets, but it's just whether that's worth it or not.  Traveling will be an undertaking in DU, I imagine.

I guess that makes sense, as these guys are focusing more on player interaction more than anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in Space Engineers you got a jump-drive. Very Battlestar Galactica like. You can do one of two things with it:

>Blind jump

>Jump to coordinate.

This is not such a weird way of exploring, blind jumps. But space is big, like, REALLY big. So if we first have to thruster our way to these stars before being able to plant a node for others to jump to, we'll have to wait years (perhaps even more than a decade) before dedicated explorers find another star system.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Stargates the idea is that you launch a probe at a target. Once the probe reaches the target you can use that point to jump to it. Then you can construct a Stargate to link between the 2 points. 

 

It will take time to set it up but it shouldn't take years to connect 2 points. 

But everything is subject to change during development. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder whether all Stargates will be publicly available for use, or if it would be possible to make them private, so if you want to pioneer a particular area without competition, it would be possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds a lot like the Drengin invading the Torians in GalCiv. 

 

And there's no way that the gates won't be able to be private. You'd have to be able to collect tolls. 

 

There's definitely a max speed limit. Has to be for physics calculations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AzureSkye said:

This sounds a lot like the Drengin invading the Torians in GalCiv. 

 

And there's no way that the gates won't be able to be private. You'd have to be able to collect tolls. 

 

There's definitely a max speed limit. Has to be for physics calculations. 

Also server limitations 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under the impression the most up to date was something along the lines of:

 

Standard engines - Capped at low speed(relatively speaking) used to travel from a planet to a moon or around a planet, what you use to fight and engage other ships

Warp/FTL - Used to travel between planets within a system much higher speed cap and probably more fuel/tech and restrictive in movement

Star Gates - Probes launched using Warp/FTL and when they reach their destination open a gate that allows for very fast travel between the launch point and the destination

 

Note: you can use any type to travel anywhere it will just take crazy amounts of time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've said that if you choose to, you could go the slow route and manually fly to another star system without having to use probes, but that it would take days or weeks to get there so it's not something most people would attempt (considering fuel consumption among other things). 

 

Most people, on the other hand, will opt for using probes and stargates. 

 

It was one of the main reasons I got into DU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

 

Not about warp drives, but JC has been posting about gravity generators and their math on Twitter 
 

 

Awesome ! Next up: Warp science: Like what Quantum is to Newtonian but Warp to Quantum... or just use  more "big words".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lethys said:

Actually quantum is a very, very, very small thing xD

Well, more so discrete, rather than continuous. It just happens that the increments are very, very, very small. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2018 at 5:01 AM, Falstaf said:

For Stargates the idea is that you launch a probe at a target. Once the probe reaches the target you can use that point to jump to it. Then you can construct a Stargate to link between the 2 points. 

 

It will take time to set it up but it shouldn't take years to connect 2 points. 

But everything is subject to change during development. 

Is it confirmed that a probe can complete that function?  Must have missed that, alleviates a lot of work if so haha.

 

I vaguely recall discussion on it, will probably take a look around.  If anyone has a direct link, would appreciate it.

 

For some reason I thought you had to build a gate on both sides, which would be crazy tedious.  Being able to launch a probe just to be an anchor, sounds realistic enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

How big is the game to like a real life scale? And this question has been asked like, you know, how big can the planets get? The distance between the planets, solar system size, what can you say about that?

 

Yeah, so far there is 100km radius, the biggest one the one you saw in the videos. We are not sure we should go much further in size for the planets. Because simply we want this to be not completely empty, we want people to actually be able to have a grasp the size of it. Visually see, you know, things that we recognize, a city here and things like that.

If the planet would be big like the earth, I mean the earth is gigantic if you think about it. So you basically see nothing from space, you don’t see really cities except in the night of course, but you don’t see cities from space, they are just too small.

 

So this is something we’ve been thinking a lot about, trying to find the right size of the planets. By the way, also finding ways to get players to actually have a reason to gather and build cities rather than spread and be independently living their lives.

 

Markets will play a big role in that obviously, because as I said they are physically localized and so on, everything I explained before.

Now there’s another question that maybe is contained in what you just asked, is you know, how may planets there will be, how big is the universe? And the answer is, there is no limit to how big we can make the universe.

 

This is procedurally generated, that means that there is a mathematical function that generates those planets, so they are basically free to create. We could have ten billions of trillions of billions of planets if that matters for people to hear, but the point is that in this game, and it’s a bit like what I said about the size of the construct, getting to a distant part of the universe will involve you creating a sort of a probe that will physical travel over there, so that it can deploy a seed of a stargate that you can use once to jump there and start to build a stargaze.

 

There will actually be something you can use to go there in one jump instantly. But it will take to actually build this first stargate to a distant system.

 

[37:36] Then once you’ve done that you will start another set of probes to go a bit further and that will take also real life time.

 

We’re thinking about having the probes taking between one week and perhaps even two months to actually get to another solar system.

 

So, again here the answer is that the size of the universe can be as big as you like, but in practice the time it will take for people to explore this universe and to create a network of stargates and to create the relevant markets and to have whatever economic structures deployed to this area, it will take time And this is what will decide the size of the universe. How many players and how much time they’ve invested into exploring this world.

 

Gray: Okay, so if you wanna be a hermit and stay as far away from civilization as possible, you’ll definitely have that option.

 

JC: You have that option, but you have to think, keep in mind that if you want to be a hermit, if you have certain needs you may have to do everything by yourself, which may take a huge amount of time.

 

So you will need a market so that you can use other players specialization for your own benefit. So you can be a hermit, but at least from time to time you will have to travel back to the civilized world to do your groceries basically and get back where you want.

 

So, this is important to understand, the size of the universe will be decided by how far people are willing to explore. And by the way, as a consequence I think which is when you arrive in a certain area -?- that has been explored because you used a stargate to get there, there’s a good chance that this stargate has not been made for no reason. There’s probably some interesting materials to mine in this area, so there have been at least mining outposts that have been developed, things going on.

 

So when you arrive in a certain of the universe, there is a chance that you will discover things made by other players. It’s interesting, it’s not just randomly or empty content that you will explore, it’s something that probably comes from players, and personally I find that very very exciting.

 

From this interview at approximately 35:00 in: 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hades said:

Is it confirmed that a probe can complete that function?  Must have missed that, alleviates a lot of work if so haha.

 

I vaguely recall discussion on it, will probably take a look around.  If anyone has a direct link, would appreciate it.

 

For some reason I thought you had to build a gate on both sides, which would be crazy tedious.  Being able to launch a probe just to be an anchor, sounds realistic enough.

1. Build a ship with resources to build the gate.

2. Get on together with friend, direct it towards your destination and set it to constantly accelerate in straight line

3. All of you switch characters to those who stayed in the known world, rest remain inactive while the ship fly using it's momentum

4. In the middle of flight one of you wakes up and change from acceleration to deceleration

5. After few days/weeks/months ship arrive, you wake up all those characters, build gate and open connection.

 

At least that's how I imagine those "probes". Expensive and hard to make, but NOT time wasting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

1. Build a ship with resources to build the gate.

2. Get on together with friend, direct it towards your destination and set it to constantly accelerate in straight line

3. All of you switch characters to those who stayed in the known world, rest remain inactive while the ship fly using it's momentum

4. In the middle of flight one of you wakes up and change from acceleration to deceleration

5. After few days/weeks/months ship arrive, you wake up all those characters, build gate and open connection.

 

At least that's how I imagine those "probes". Expensive and hard to make, but NOT time wasting.

 

 

I think they more or less talked about a unmanned probe which travels there and allows you to do a one-time jump. Ofc you first would have to build a gate on your side, then jump there and build the second gate on/near the new planet. 

 

In some interview they talked about maybe introducing some kind of space drag so that people don't end up in the middle of nowhere - so travelling afk for weeks without logging in will not happen imho. Exploration should be a reward, not a reward for being afk or switching chars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lethys said:

 

 

I think they more or less talked about a unmanned probe which travels there and allows you to do a one-time jump. Ofc you first would have to build a gate on your side, then jump there and build the second gate on/near the new planet. 

 

In some interview they talked about maybe introducing some kind of space drag so that people don't end up in the middle of nowhere - so travelling afk for weeks without logging in will not happen imho. Exploration should be a reward, not a reward for being afk or switching chars. 

Just my opinion, but it should not be a simple one time jump for the creator.  As long as the gate is open, and the probe/drone is online... anyone should be able to use the gate if there's nothing impeding them.  Just one way of course, until gates are built on both sides.

 

The next question is whether or not a creator can limit traffic in their stargates arbitrarily.  I personally think not, limitations should be conducted by physical confrontation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Hades said:

The next question is whether or not a creator can limit traffic in their stargates arbitrarily.  I personally think not, limitations should be conducted by physical confrontation.

Owner just need to switch off the power. And you can try to convince them to turn it back on.... using physical confrontation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

Owner just need to switch off the power. And you can try to convince them to turn it back on.... using physical confrontation.

Not sure why there has to be a switch, if there's no one guarding the gate an adversary can just toggle the switch themselves.

 

Anyway, these things are a loooong way off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×