Anopheles

Are we absolutely sure about a pay by subscription model?

7 hours ago, EagleTrax said:

If it's more than $14.99 a month, I will not be playing.

it's 0$ per month if you invest enough game time to accumulate enough in-game currency to buy real 30 day subscription called DAC on in-game markets.

but if you insist on paying real money then cheapest sub should start from around 10e, so it wont be more than 15$ 99.99%.

https://www.raphkoster.com/2019/01/30/what-drives-retention/

Dual Universe has A LOT MORE GaaS features than other games in one game and the scope is much bigger too.

As for "revenue models" =/= GaaS as per Koster; then  the players to then sell in game creations (& whatnot); which naturally will knock on effect with the in-game currency and out-game investment as well. I think that is quite interesting to think about.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:56 AM, blazemonger said:

Don't count on a month playtime being $10.  It's going to be more like 15 I'm sure..

I remember reading somewhere it was going to be in the range of $15-16 USD. It might have been in one of the interviews with JC. 

I am more than happy to pay 15 - 20 dollars per month for a game like this.   If it is 15 dollars a month and I spend 4 hours per day, that is about 13 cents per hour entertainment value.    If I go to the movies, I can rarely get out for less than 25 dollars...so around 12.50 per hour to entertain me.   And based on how long I spent in EVE, I will probably average a good deal more than 4 hours per day with a game like this.   Heck, I could spend an extra hour working overtime in RL and pay for 3 months of subscription at that price.

6 hours ago, Aislynn said:

I am more than happy to pay 15 - 20 dollars per month for a game like this.   If it is 15 dollars a month and I spend 4 hours per day, that is about 13 cents per hour entertainment value.    If I go to the movies, I can rarely get out for less than 25 dollars...so around 12.50 per hour to entertain me.   And based on how long I spent in EVE, I will probably average a good deal more than 4 hours per day with a game like this.   Heck, I could spend an extra hour working overtime in RL and pay for 3 months of subscription at that price.

There's any number of these subscriptions however; off the top of the head:

1. Monthly gym membership

2. Music streaming sub

3. Amazon prime or somesuch

4. Steam Sales or somesuch

5. Charity per month or somesuch

6. MMO sub...

So it's as much the cumulative burden of all these services that is the issue as well as most MMOs are simply terrible and not increasing in returns the longer you play (which is how they need to be).

If I am honest, it's less the price that concerns me, as you say, assuming the quality of this game is about "up there" then it's going to be brilliant fun. It's more the time I have available to COMMIT to it that concerns me. That said, I think a huge world like this could kill off interest in a lot of other genres so it does make sense if it's up to quality to allocate a certain time to the game if that criteria is filled.

You have a good point in saying "a huge world like this could kill off interest in a lot of other genres". That's also the main reason I'm putting a lot of time in this and i expect to be able to put in even more after release. Thinking about the aspects within DU that you can master or at least play will make a lot of the other games semi obsolete for me. Investing about 15 euros per month is actually peanuts if you look at for example the general extra cost of lets say eating in a school or work cafeteria instead of bringing your own bread. the costs of that are probably close to 40 euros per month with an average intake of 2 euros extra cost per day on a 5 day work week. coming form a time where we paid that per month for almost any MMO in 2000 its one of the things that has not inflated that much.

Just keep in mind that any form of free game-play will introduce enormous amounts of bots and gold sellers with respect to any form of payed subscription, paying per month does not stop gold-sellers or trolls but it at least makes the numbers lower.

Greetz AC

10 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

Just keep in mind that any form of free game-play will introduce enormous amounts of bots and gold sellers with respect to any form of payed subscription, paying per month does not stop gold-sellers or trolls but it at least makes the numbers lower.

Main problem with f2p games is not amount of bots, but amount of real money you need to spend for 'premium' stuff. Bots exist everywhere and DU won't be an exception. The same for RMT, it will be present in any popular game.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:47 AM, Aaron Cain said:

You have a good point in saying "a huge world like this could kill off interest in a lot of other genres". That's also the main reason I'm putting a lot of time in this and i expect to be able to put in even more after release. Thinking about the aspects within DU that you can master or at least play will make a lot of the other games semi obsolete for me. Investing about 15 euros per month is actually peanuts if you look at for example the general extra cost of lets say eating in a school or work cafeteria instead of bringing your own bread. the costs of that are probably close to 40 euros per month with an average intake of 2 euros extra cost per day on a 5 day work week. coming form a time where we paid that per month for almost any MMO in 2000 its one of the things that has not inflated that much.

Greetz AC

The immediate value is very apparent to me:

1. I've never seen a comparable MMO with such "VAST 3D-ness". I honestly cannot think of another MMO with that sense of gigantic space all around, instead of a 2d plane to traverse.

2. I'm assuming there will be high numbers able to play in a shared locality that again I've always found other MMOs flunk at irrespective of advertising at being able to do this eg large battles.

3. This does not appeal to me personally, but I am estimating that the voxel "minecrafting-just-one-more-blockalizing...before bed," addictive/creative gameplay will explode for other players in a big way.

4. Put all those together.

What I think this will translate to is stored gameplay sessions over time and thus when you play I am hoping some real accumulation of your time invested before benefiting your current play sessions (more and moreso).

A lot of MMOs have suggested this but in my experience, I've never actually played an MMO that really delivered this to a realistically experienced degree.

So I think DU will go places. The bit that appeals to me is just to be a grunt in someone else's war and pvp on planets, spacestations and space battles! But with the prior background making the pvp not mindless one-offs but all part of a long saga/story. It's not the pvp combat per se, but the quality of stories it generates given fun moments chained together. Seeing an enormous ship either destroyed or hijacked alone sparkles with such quality potential for example.

On all that basis it is worth a sub: Doubly so as such a game world would be more rewarding than the sterile trope filled, sci-fi movies from say Hollywood. Interesting to wonder if such a game might even rival boxed tv sets even.

6 minutes ago, Borb_1 said:

On all that basis it is worth a sub: Doubly so as such a game world would be more rewarding than the sterile trope filled, sci-fi movies from say Hollywood. Interesting to wonder if such a game might even rival boxed tv sets even.

it will. Who knows, first DU oriented movie production in 2030 ;)

1 hour ago, __aes__ said:

What if it were free after a year of playing?

That would be nice, I wish my apartments were free after a year of living there, or my Internet service free after a year of using it.

3 hours ago, Haunty said:

That would be nice, I wish my apartments were free after a year of living there, or my Internet service free after a year of using it.

It doesn't have to be a year(in fact, that's pretty irrational) but after like 5 years of subscription, a player has done their share in supporting the game, and it should be free.

And, Your apartment requires maintenance and can only have one group of occupants at a time. In comparison, DU doesn't have its ability to be sold to others decreased with every user. In fact, quite the opposite. And, although you might not think so, your internet DOES. 

Plus, in our society internet and living are more or less essential, while playing dual universe certainly isn't.

2 hours ago, __aes__ said:

And, Your apartment requires maintenance

The server cluster DU runs on requires maintenance, the game requires constant maintenance, updates, additions, new features.

It's not like after 5 years the data center tells NovaQuark.. "hey.. you paid for 5 years, you can now use the servers for free"

You are not 'supporting the game' you are buying server time allowing you to access the game. You stop paying, you lose access.

3 hours ago, __aes__ said:

It doesn't have to be a year(in fact, that's pretty irrational) but after like 5 years of subscription, a player has done their share in supporting the game, and it should be free.

The longer you play, the more chance you get of being able to buy DACs with in-game money. So if that's your ambition then you can go for it, and the game will become cheaper for you with time and eventually free.

Players that already supported the game through a crowdfunding pack receive a corresponding compensation in DACs. Some of the early backers made such big pledges that they can play free for years to come or even indefinitely.

What more do you want...

8 hours ago, __aes__ said:

What if it were free after a year of playing?

I'm sorry, this is one of my hot-button issues.  For the life of me, I will just never understand why people think that MMO games should be free.  I just don't get it.  Programmers spend years and years to learn their trade and then years and years to make a game and in the case of games like this, they then pay years and years of sever costs, maintenance and updates to continue providing access.  Not to mention the innovation, risk taking and passion game devs have is unlike any other service that I have ever paid for.   But people still want them to be free?!

On the other hand, these very same people will buy a $600 phone and agree up front to pay anywhere from $50 -$100 or more per month to use the darn thing for at least two years or they are in breach of contract.   They seem to have no problem paying places like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon $10 a month forever to see reruns of movies that they have, most likely, already seen that took a fraction of the time and money to make and are not near as entertaining as a good MMO.  But no one seems to have a problem with that.   There are tons of similar examples that i won't go into, but I'm sure you get the gist.

So what is it about games that makes people like you believe that its ok to even suggest that other people work for free and even cover any costs they have to pay to provide you untold hours of free entertainment?   How does anyone think that's a reasonable request?

Can't wait for the ingame fun!! You are just so right @Dhara, anything i would ever want to add can never get over this post. 

We just should rejoice every month we get the pay reminder. "Yesss another month of joy and fun and [ Fill in your very desire in DU] yesss Lets Log and take a few free days from Work to do things that Really matter!!!"