Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
yamisniper

Recommended min system specs for pre alpha

Recommended Posts

yamamushi - Today at 12:36 AM
 

80gb ssd
16gb of ram
960gtx 2gb - this could b the mobile version since they do test with that gaming laptop
I5 processor

 

decided to post this so people can get more ram if they need to and yama did say you can try to run on lower specs
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes sense, taking into account the scales at play, and lack of optimisation.

 

The most surprising figure is the high RAM and SSD storage requirement, for a procedural game, you'd expect the former, but why the latter? That is indicative to me of some form of caching used to reduce redownloading of already known up-to-date information, such as constructs that have not been modified since last login. Perhaps they might only send the changes to a construct as well, however this is less likely due to more negotiation required.

 

Pretty interesting assumptions to be gleaned just from the spec requirements!

 

And that is definitely the mobile 960 version, yes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Megaddd said:

This makes sense, taking into account the scales at play, and lack of optimisation.

 

The most surprising figure is the high RAM and SSD storage requirement, for a procedural game, you'd expect the former, but why the latter? That is indicative to me of some form of caching used to reduce redownloading of already known up-to-date information, such as constructs that have not been modified since last login. Perhaps they might only send the changes to a construct as well, however this is less likely due to more negotiation required.

 

Pretty interesting assumptions to be gleaned just from the spec requirements!

 

And that is definitely the mobile 960 version, yes!

 

I'm no programmer but maybe they need more space for saving debug files, errors, data dumps or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Megaddd said:

Hell no! Log files are several megabytes at most!

 

We actually have log files that can become several GB bytes large at my job. Mostly the log files for detecting out of sync between clients as those log files will get pretty much all data being processed dumped into it.

 

Though I would say log files becoming that big is a rarity, not a norm. I doubt that is the case here, probably just voxel data so the server and client don't have to constantly sync the data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, yamisniper said:

yamamushi - Today at 12:36 AM
 

80gb ssd
16gb of ram
960gtx 2gb - this could b the mobile version since they do test with that gaming laptop
I5 processor

 

decided to post this so people can get more ram if they need to and yama did say you can try to run on lower specs
 

 

Quoting whole spec as we're a bit down the thread by now ;) ..

I'd say these are minimum specs for the (pre) alpha with optimizations probably not done yet.

This also more or less limits you to 1080p, you'll quickly run out of steam otherwise..

 

Personally I am running i7, 32GB RAM and a 1070, probably going up to 1080 as I run a 4K and two 1080p screens..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Megaddd said:

This makes sense, taking into account the scales at play, and lack of optimisation.

 

The most surprising figure is the high RAM and SSD storage requirement, for a procedural game, you'd expect the former, but why the latter? That is indicative to me of some form of caching used to reduce redownloading of already known up-to-date information, such as constructs that have not been modified since last login. Perhaps they might only send the changes to a construct as well, however this is less likely due to more negotiation required.

 

Pretty interesting assumptions to be gleaned just from the spec requirements!

 

And that is definitely the mobile 960 version, yes!

That would make a lot of sense. They are doing load tests. Maybe to better figure out what should be loaded client side or server side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, yamisniper said:

the nice thing is an ati 7870 will def run the game since the 960 mobile is weaker than it

I'm not sure where this 960 stuff came from, thought min was a 970 performance range.

 

Granted I imagine a 960 will work.  7870 is a good deal weaker than a 970 though.

 

I'm also not sure where this SSD stuff came from, must be out of the loop :P

 

Then again, I also thought this was ATV knowledge, not meant to be public quite yet.  I'm all for releasing it, but I think NQ should do that.  Not us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It ran smoothly on a gtx 960m?  Sheesh, that's crazy low spec.

 

No laptop can have a gtx 960.  Some rare laptops can hold a gtx 980... but there isn't a MXM format 960 whatsoever.

 

This precise "unknown" factor going on right here is why I think it's better for NQ to release this information.  He said she said muddles things.

 

Did the laptop have a 960m?  Or did it have a card in similar power to a gtx 960.  Perhaps a 970m, they are about 5-10% weaker than a 960.

 

 

Note:

The MXM format can be rather confusing.  There are m variants (980m, 970m, 960m, 880m... etc) that are gimped versions of the desktop cards.  And then there are regular MXM cards (980, 1050, 1050 ti, 1060, 1070, 1080, RX 480, and RX 580).  These cards are the desktop chip placed on a board fitting the MXM format.  

 

Alternatively, the chip is soldered onto the main board, making it impossible to upgrade.  These chips are no longer MXM (thus can't be swapped) but they are still the desktop chips.

 

The desktop MXM cards perform slightly worse than desktop cards when overclocking and thermals are taken into account.  However, if you don't mess with overclocking the difference is minimal.

 

To make it even more confusing there are multiple MXM formats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hades said:

It ran smoothly on a gtx 960m?  Sheesh, that's crazy low spec.

 

No laptop can have a gtx 960.  Some rare laptops can hold a gtx 980... but there isn't a MXM format 960 whatsoever.

 

This precise "unknown" factor going on right here is why I think it's better for NQ to release this information.  He said she said muddles things.

 

Did the laptop have a 960m?  Or did it have a card in similar power to a gtx 960.  Perhaps a 970m, they are about 5-10% weaker than a 960.

 

 

Note:

The MXM format can be rather confusing.  There are m variants (980m, 970m, 960m, 880m... etc) that are gimped versions of the desktop cards.  And then there are regular MXM cards (980, 1050, 1050 ti, 1060, 1070, 1080, RX 480, and RX 580).  These cards are the desktop chip placed on a board fitting the MXM format.  

 

Alternatively, the chip is soldered onto the main board, making it impossible to upgrade.  These chips are no longer MXM (thus can't be swapped) but they are still the desktop chips.

 

The desktop MXM cards perform slightly worse than desktop cards when overclocking and thermals are taken into account.  However, if you don't mess with overclocking the difference is minimal.

 

To make it even more confusing there are multiple MXM formats. 

true they really need to post this info so people can get ready for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what it means is that trying to debug issues with system specs less than these is not going to get a high priority. 

 

You've got to keep in mind that the game is probably poorly optimized at this point, which makes sense at the pre-alpha state, and that by the time the game comes out, system specs similar to these should be fairly the norm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no guarantee they will get it to work flawlessly on a 960m, if I'm reading this correctly.  Sure, they might... and they're putting effort into bringing the game to low end systems... but I wouldn't say a 960m is min spec at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you left out the part where the game will utilize as many cores as you give it, and an I7 with more cores and thread will help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yamisniper said:

its what they have been testing with (im pretty sure its that gaming laptop they have every where with them)

Testing with, or giving demonstrations with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play many high quality games and use only a 1 TB hdd, 8gb ram and a rx470 , and it works.. i think a pc with lower specs works, if the components and the setup of your os including software work fine together. If i think about games in the past such Landmark.. i have playn the game like another dudes with a better gear :D

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...