Fuel

Wardonis

That is actually a really good question, I don't know if we have heard where exactly we're supposed to get fuel from.

I think it's just assumed that it will require a bit of a refining process, but as to what we're pulling out of the ground to actually turn into fuel, I don't recall hearing anything about that.

My initial thought is that it might have something to do with "Trithorium" based on this glimpse of the crafting screen we saw in the Dev Diary from April:

igAymGC.jpg

(as an aside, I would like to know what "wadding" is going to be used for...)

Based on that, if I had to wager a bet, "fuel" is something we have to dig out of the ground as some type of raw material to be refined later. 

It's worth pointing out that (afaik), in the Dev Diaries, they are always running on empty (or their fuel meters aren't ever changing), although they have talked about how engines will need to be attached to some type of fuel container to work.

In the april devdiary the fuel tank is not empty. Raw materials for fuel will likely be gathered from the ground as a resource i suppose, then you'll need to process those

I hope ANYTHING can be used for fuel (Which I mean, you CAN put steel into your gas tank, if you plan on destroying it), while others excel better than others (Hydrogen>Unicorn Farts).

I also hope that different fuels excel at different things (low-profile [noise, the flash, ect], potential energy per milliliter/voxel [since voxels are presumed to be a centimeter/decimeter {1/10 of a meter}] that affects fuel mileage and "strength/propelling force", and potentially color [Flashy colors!].)

I presume fuel will physically be stored (Nutshell: Placed in voxels, not in a storage interface) and of course, fuel refinement.

Just my cup of tea I wrote in 5 minutes but hey, it's a starter.

Personally, I'd like to see gathering gas from gas giants, nebulae, stars etc as a means to extract the complex and/or heavier/exotic elements required for ftl travel. (or perhaps the gates require some sort of specially mixed and refined molecular structure) 

Would be really neat if you had to go into low orbit, scoop hydrogen (this being slightly easier than from a star lol)

Or perhaps a station that extracts the elements from orbit  

1 hour ago, 5p34k3r said:

Personally, I'd like to see gathering gas from gas giants, nebulae, stars etc as a means to extract the complex and/or heavier/exotic elements required for ftl travel.

That Idea is really nice. It adds a lot of Atmosphere to the Game.

Perhaps a low yield chemical rocket for the early stages of low and high orbit launches. Progressively becoming more difficult to refine as you move up the fuel tier.   In eve they use ice mining for POS fuel.  So perhaps ice could be mined from comets, asteroids, ice caps on planets etc (the ice would need to be consisting of something other than straight h2o, as to make it more feasible to mine off planet) then the tier three ftl could use the hydrogen from gas giants, nebulae etc     

At any rate, more than one way to acquire fuel and more than one type.   I feel if we have multiple options,  it'll have a better emergent game play experience.   Just like real life and our known universe, we should be able to produce and manufacture fuel and energy in an array of ways.   

In voyager they had a delithium refinement lab they added to their ship, one such simple idea 

9 hours ago, Kuritho said:

I hope ANYTHING can be used for fuel (Which I mean, you CAN put steel into your gas tank, if you plan on destroying it), while others excel better than others (Hydrogen>Unicorn Farts).

I also hope that different fuels excel at different things (low-profile [noise, the flash, ect], potential energy per milliliter/voxel [since voxels are presumed to be a centimeter/decimeter {1/10 of a meter}] that affects fuel mileage and "strength/propelling force", and potentially color [Flashy colors!].)

I presume fuel will physically be stored (Nutshell: Placed in voxels, not in a storage interface) and of course, fuel refinement.

Just my cup of tea I wrote in 5 minutes but hey, it's a starter.

Reminds me of using the furnace in Minecraft, you can use leaves and stupid items to essentially "recycle" them into a useable thing but they ultimately suck when compared to logs, coal, or even a bucket of lava.

The game mechanics of what NQ is trying to do with DU should easily handle this sort of thing.

Your idea takes it a step further, which is awesome!  Usage of certain materials should provide better results to noise-suppression, illumination, potential energy, etc.  It will also allow different fuel sources to be found throughout Alioth (or to a larger extent the entire universe of DU).

Do you mind sharing that cup?

Right, they didn't use in every video an unlimited amount.

But I just realized they already had 2 different fuel types in there: nitron and kergon.

to me it just makes sense to use different fuel types which have to be gathered with different methods in different biomes.

Other than just digging in the ground for resources and refining them I'd make certain types of fuel mining quite passive for larger orgs. Say, let them build stations with certain expensive game elements around gas giants or what not - for a few simple reasons:

Partly to tie it into the org vs org-competition/wars/meta. Give them something to fight over except just soil to be mined and stargates.

And partly to allow an exponential scale of fuel needed for larger engines, thus helping to limit larger warships to larger orgs who manage to obtain control over resources, without inducing a massive grind for fuel.

Since I know that some planets have a water grounds on it's surfaces, I think that it should be great obtaining some sort of fuel by refining the water with some deployable factories connected directly to some fuel tanks, e.g. transforming classic water into deuterium? Then the territories with access to the oceans, etc., will get some value and water shall be more interesting than now.

I highly doubt one would be able to successfully use Steam power to fly a spaceship. Even if it could produce enough power, it would probably require a huge amount of space and maintenance, making it not worth it.

You could use steam power to power a construct on the surface a planet, provided there is enough water to use. In space it would be extremely wasteful, you'd have to constantly be harvesting water from comets or something. 

I'd have to agree with @CommanderLouiz that it wouldn't be practical for a spaceship though.

5 hours ago, Thokan said:

Oh come on, guys. This is not a Factorio mod. We don't have to have a stone age progression system just for the sake of it :P

Yeah! Non-linear progression FOR THE WIN!

Maybe just start with a modern-day (2010-2020 style) fuels and thrusters, and allow people to just do anything after that.

Research becomes faster and cheaper after researching more technologies, but one can still do the giant gap between 2017 to 12017 :P