SINGLEPLAYER?

FangeHaux

Hi everyone.

I understand that singleplayer isn't a large element of this game,but still. Who doesn't want singleplayer?

Players will obviously still want to play on the server but exploring your own universe is also fun.

The system of crafting and gathering resources could be made easier for singleplayer.

The update system could be something where it is updated when you launch multiplayer and the difference can be seen in singleplayer mode also.

Could we also have a local multiplayer mode also?

Not everyone has a 24/7 connection to the internet for gaming. Most gamers do but others don't have the time download updates and connect to the server to play. They just want to launch the game and play. In this way, the game can be exposed to a wider spectrum of gamers and people.

And also an interesting concept:

Say for instance a player was playing singleplayer or local and then wanted to play multiplayer, they could pause the game, select multiplayer, it loads for a couple and they resume the game, continuing their flight but their worlds/ solar system has faded away and they are now in the multiplayer universe approaching a safe zone which will soon appear in the dark void. I dunno how this will work in real time but it's interesting to think about.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The games main focus is MMO, it's server tech is built with a massively multiplayer ONLINE role playing game in mind. It's an MO

Furthermore, the game's server tech is all about doing away with instancing and loading screens. Everyone plays on the same game world.

The game is a subscriptino MMO, with expansions being free and the game itself being even possibly to play by paying for subscription with in-game money. That being said, making the game available for a LAN, is like asking the devs to kill their own revenue.

Exposing the game to a wider audience, involves more variety in gameplay options. It doesn't involve LAN. It's an MMO. Massively Multiplayer Online. It's in every single poster they produced. It's the game's main selling point, having possibly 100K people on the same in-game city. It's not No Minecrafter's Sky to be a single-player game.

Cheers!

HIJIrKg.png

I think the whole genre and focus will make it unlikely we get to see singleplayer features at all. Alternatively, I can see them come last or only in a limited fashion, such as a simulated smaller area for sandbox / creative purposes, but not a fully fledged universe.

The universe would also be pretty dead in SP and they would have to force the NPCs in.

From what I know, they will have a rather limited capability in MP as it is.

So all in all I theorize that you should perhaps not expect SP as you expect it. I personally think all focus should go into the MP as that is what most people seem to want. I, as someone with an MP preference, would frown if any dedicated classic SP effort could potentially take months away from MP development.

Now I don't know what exact problems some (incl. you) might have with the internet. I also realize some live in areas that have worse or little coverage. But those who intend to play DU later on better calculate that SP features might be limited or non-existant, so you better consider how you can improve on availability within the next years.

The plus side is that you benefit in general if you can make sure your connection is stable or better ... or available when you can play, at least.

Hi there and welcome to the forum:

Hi everyone.

Hi there

I understand that singleplayer isn't a large element of this game,but still. Who doesn't want singleplayer?

It's no element at all. This is solely a MMO and no one here want's a singleplayer because we all WANT that MMO

Players will obviously still want to play on the server but exploring your own universe is also fun.

See above

The system of crafting and gathering resources could be made easier for singleplayer.

The update system could be something where it is updated when you launch multiplayer and the difference can be seen in singleplayer mode also.

See above

Could we also have a local multiplayer mode also?

No. This is a single shard and there will definitely not be any other servers than that one single shard where everybody plays

Not everyone has a 24/7 connection to the internet for gaming.

Then you shouldn't play DU at all. Or game a MMO at all

Most gamers do but others don't have the time download updates and connect to the server to play. They just want to launch the game and play. In this way, the game can be exposed to a wider spectrum of gamers and people.

They start the launcher, it updates and you play. No problem there. If you have 56k modem or ISDN or some crap, you shouldn't play a MMO anyway

And also an interesting concept:

Say for instance a player was playing singleplayer or local and then wanted to play multiplayer, they could pause the game, select multiplayer, it loads for a couple and they resume the game, continuing their flight but their worlds/ solar system has faded away and they are now in the multiplayer universe approaching a safe zone which will soon appear in the dark void. I dunno how this will work in real time but it's interesting to think about.

Uhm....not really. Because: see above

Oh and btw: you have to pay in order to play. Please don't start another topic on that - use the search function because there are many many threads about that already and all of them come to the same conclusion

Welcome to the forum. :)

I do not want to write anything big, since the others have already done so. Now regardless of what the players want ... I have 2 things that I want to mention briefly.

1. Demanding a singleplayer would mean that NovaQuark has to throw away their entire concept. The last 3 years, which they have invested in the server architecture on manpower and working hours - would be gone. The concept was clear from the start, where the journey goes. You should have caught JC (Head of NovaQuark) 3 years ago, even before he started the prototype to describe your idea.

2. "Not everyone has Internet" - This is no longer an argument in 2017.

Look at the growth (statistics):

The game is expected to be released in late 2018. And you can think for yourself that even more people get access.

Do not get me wrong, I just want to tell you what the overall picture looks like. Sure, even today we still have countries in Europe with villages that have 2 megabits of internet. The expansion is now slow. But the possibilities are at least given.

But, of course, it does not prevent you from playing as a lone wolf. There will certainly be opportunities. The question is: How creative are you?

• 2 weeks later...

Work to build a probe .... it gets to new unexplored area ... you jump ... don't construct a gate ... work to build a probe .... it gets to new unexplored area ... you jump ... don't construct a gate ... rinse and repeat until you are so far away from anyone else you can enjoy single player. 

Miss out on 50%+ of the game .... pay monthly sub ... don't care about new expansion/update because it is meant for MMO ... continue to play alone ... miss out on 50%+ of the game .... pay monthly sub ... don't care about new expansion/update because it is meant for MMO ... continue to play alone ... rinse and repeat until you are so bored you stop playing.

One of the big selling points of the game that NQ has made very clear over and over and over and over and over is that this is a single universe.  You can play single player in effect but why?

I still see a difference between roaming alone in an MP environment and playing singleplayer exclusively, however.

A good personal example I can give is Conan Exiles ... or maybe DayZ. The environment is dangerous, and so are other players in theory. In the few days I played the former, I haven't met a single person face to face until yesterday - and that was literally face to face, almost.

But the "thrill" is that you could meet someone and that the area evolves. For example, in the few days additional houses and bases popped up in my area - so that's an active development and change to the landscape.

You don't get all of that in singleplayer unless the AI is somehow developed to expand or pull back depending on what happens. Still, one can't exactly replace human beings with AI or offer the same 'quality' or irregular responses.

To others who fit the bill (below) now and who read this:

Perhaps some may not feel 'used' to operating in an MP environment with emergent gameplay and risks. To those I say: Consider getting out of that 'comfort zone' and try it out, even if you suffer initial losses. Why? Because if you establish yourself and get by, it becomes great over time. That precise risk caused by other players or development is what makes these sandbox games great in my opinion. It's a dynamic world with ups and downs.

Without multiplayer, the game is effectively nothing. Just a different skin of games like Space Engineers or Empyrion. The devs have said they want to see emergent politics, which a playerbase is needed.

If you really wanted to play DU "singleplayer" simply roam solo and avoid others.

Without multiplayer, the game is effectively nothing. Just a different skin of games like Space Engineers or Empyrion. The devs have said they want to see emergent politics, which a playerbase is needed.

If you really wanted to play DU "singleplayer" simply roam solo and avoid others.

I bet someone will end up being so solo on his gameplay, that they'll effecntively be ghosts in a forest, like, "That Crazy Dude" that lives in the forest, attacking any and all tresspassers.

I bet someone will end up being so solo on his gameplay, that they'll effecntively be ghoss in a forest, like, "That Crazy Dude" that lives in the forest, attacking any and all tresspassers.

I imagine that the game will be so large that some people may effectively disappear off into the darkness only to be rediscovered years later. It is entirely possible that explorers may jump into an "unexplored" system only to find a pre-existing civilization of "lost" players who have been cut off from the community for so long that people have forgotten about them. 

I imagine that the game will be so large that some people may effectively disappear off into the darkness only to be rediscovered years later. It is entirely possible that explorers may jump into an "unexplored" system only to find a pre-existing civilization of "lost" players who have been cut off from the community for so long that people have forgotten about them. 

I personally will go out of my way to make creepy any place I've been. That'll send children crying. >:D

I think some sort of single player has its place, maybe not the entire universe, but being able to simulate a few planets and some void somewhat like in the tech demos can be of massive benefit.

In Ark we used to just head off into single player and test out designs for things we planned to make on our online server so we were not wasting online time and resources on something that might not go to plan.

I'd definitely like to see a 'playground' you could screw around in while not online.

I think some sort of single player has its place, maybe not the entire universe, but being able to simulate a few planets and some void somewhat like in the tech demos can be of massive benefit.

In Ark we used to just head off into single player and test out designs for things we planned to make on our online server so we were not wasting online time and resources on something that might not go to plan.

I'd definitely like to see a 'playground' you could screw around in while not online.

The devs have mentioned that they will likely eventually introduce a sort of creative test space for people to test ship designs, but it will be extremely limited. It is unlikely you will even be able to fully test the ships you build there or even fly them.

Ark is also not a procedurally generated unvierse. Ark's map is 1/1500th of a planet in DU. 

It's an MMO first and foremost. There's no "plan ahead" there's only "adapt and progress".

Ark is also not a procedurally generated unvierse. Ark's map is 1/1500th of a planet in DU. 

It's an MMO first and foremost. There's no "plan ahead" there's only "adapt and progress".

o.O

That doesn't mean my point that a single player area to play around in and to test things is not still valid, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make...

o.O

That doesn't mean my point that a single player area to play around in and to test things is not still valid, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make...

There's no "when we are not online". It's built as an MMO. There's no offline mode.

AS Void pointed out, the devs plan for an in-game ONLINE "singleplayer" where you can design ships freely, but that's for later on down the line. Thre's, definitely, NO offline mode. It's built as an MMO, with people needing each other to build great stuff.

There's no "when we are not online". It's built as an MMO. There's no offline mode.

AS Void pointed out, the devs plan for an in-game ONLINE "singleplayer" where you can design ships freely, but that's for later on down the line. Thre's, definitely, NO offline mode. It's built as an MMO, with people needing each other to build great stuff.

Well, maybe it's something that should be considered as an option, that's what I'm saying in my post, a single player area offline would be useful.

I was under the impression a forum was for constructive opinions, ideas and discussion, I feel like you're just throwing down 'dev facts' at me for the hell of it with the underlying point of 'nope it can't happen because it just can't'.

I mean there is no reason it can't happen, we already know a simulated game instance can be hosted on a computer, it's not a difficult task to make it an option it's entirely up to NQ's prerogative.

Well, maybe it's something that should be considered as an option, that's what I'm saying in my post, a single player area offline would be useful.

I was under the impression a forum was for constructive opinions, ideas and discussion, I feel like you're just throwing down 'dev facts' at me for the hell of it with the underlying point of 'nope it can't happen because it just can't'.

I think you don't understand what the game is going for. And I am in fact questioning if you understnad the term Single-Shard MMO.

It's been explicitly stated, there can only be one instance, one world, one server. To go back on this idea would go against everything Novaquark has advertised and stood for and possibly corrupt the greatest experiment in Human Geography that is Dual Universe.