AI civilizations

Admiral_Adama_

(sorry for my english it is not perfect)

Space is full of live. Humans are not only intelligent species in galaxy. So there can be some AI-civiliztions, that have their own controlled planets, resources and fleet. They also can have some kind of culture, and different level of technical progress. They can be friendly or agressive. So their ships can attack you immediately, or they can help you. Players can trade, make alliance, or war with them. There can be some scale of relation with civilization. So if you will help them, you relation will become better. If you will try to harm them they become agressive with you. 

There also can be some extremely powerful and agressive space empire. And when someone will discover them, this civ will become real threat to players. So they will invade into players territory. And to stop them, all players and organizations should come together to fight with common thread.

Thoughts?

Space is full of live. Humans are not only intelligent species in galaxy. So there can be some AI-civiliztions, that have their own controlled planets, resources and fleet. They also can have some kind of culture, and different level of technical progress. They can be friendly or agressive. So their ships can attack you immediately, or they can help you. Players can trade, make alliance, or war with them. There can be some scale of relation with civilization. So if you will help them, you relation will become better. If you will try to harm them they become agressive with you. 

There also can be some extremely powerful and agressive space empire. And when someone will discover them, this civ will become real threat to players. So they will invade into players territory. And to stop them, all players and organizations should come together to fight with common thread.

Thoughts?

"You're English is quite good, you have nothing to fear. Back to your question, however, and I quite agree with you. The game is still in the pre-alpha stages, and we're giving the developers a real run for their money. It's hard to believe they aren't six feet under already in the work load we've dished out. The subject of NPCs is important and even more so when the players are intent at getting at each other's throats. The part in your post about invasions by NPC fits with the "Incursion" type of play in another popular game. However, we need to wait to hear from the developers before we start making assumptions -- however splendid they may be. Contact the Community Manager, or if you can, try to get a hold on him during the next Q & A session.

Pax Vobiscum.

"

"You're English is quite good, you have nothing to fear. Back to your question, however, and I quite agree with you. The game is still in the pre-alpha stages, and we're giving the developers a real run for their money. It's hard to believe they aren't six feet under already in the work load we've dished out. The subject of NPCs is important and even more so when the players are intent at getting at each other's throats. The part in your post about invasions by NPC fits with the "Incursion" type of play in another popular game. However, we need to wait to hear from the developers before we start making assumptions -- however splendid they may be. Contact the Community Manager, or if you can, try to get a hold on him during the next Q & A session.

Pax Vobiscum.

"

I'm adamant against NPCs being in the game as factions. Maybe animals, maybe some ruins of alien civilisations, but not NPCs everywhere, printing money and inflating the economy with nothing stopping them. If we were to need money, we should have a "conversion" of minerals to a credit system, which would give birth to "gold rushes" of factions fighting over worlds that are literally money pits.

Let the players dictate the game's story, it's what emergent gameplay is all about. Maybe a few NPCs to guide you at the start of the game, but not further than that. Let "reputation" systems be something organic, than just a number you grind day in and day out. Let your loyalty dictate your access to the higher levels of interaction with a faction, not some number on a bar.

But that is just me. I like organically developed features on that front.

P.S. : Adama's English are fine,

I'm adamant against NPCs being in the game as factions. Maybe animals, maybe some ruins of alien civilisations, but not NPCs everywhere, printing money and inflating the economy with nothing stopping them. If we were to need money, we should have a "conversion" of minerals to a credit system, which would give birth to "gold rushes" of factions fighting over worlds that are literally money pits.

Let the players dictate the game's story, it's what emergent gameplay is all about. Maybe a few NPCs to guide you at the start of the game, but not further than that. Let "reputation" systems be something organic, than just a number you grind day in and day out. Let your loyalty dictate your access to the higher levels of interaction with a faction, not some number on a bar.

Gotta agree with this.

That said, it would be nice to come across some intelligent alien species for those who are the explorer type. Don't have to be advanced mind you.

Gotta agree with this.

That said, it would be nice to come across some intelligent alien species for those who are the explorer type. Don't have to be advanced mind you.

To be fair, let the aliens be some sort of alien cyborg tethered to a "dungeon" template found across planets. Tie some Dark Souls method of storytelling, with terminals you decrypt to tell the tale. Just don't make the whole thing a "cutscene". Add mystery and go for the "keep looking into the abyss" juggular of RP/PvE.

To be fair, let the aliens be some sort of alien cyborg tethered to a "dungeon" template found across planets. Tie some Dark Souls method of storytelling, with terminals you decrypt to tell the tale. Just don't make the whole thing a "cutscene". Add mystery and go for the "keep looking into the abyss" juggular of RP/PvE.

I can certainly roll with this. Keeps the excitement of finding alien life appealing and engaging, whilst keeping the actual gameplay player focused without NPC interference. 

I can certainly roll with this. Keeps the excitement of finding alien life appealing and engaging, whilst keeping the actual gameplay player focused without NPC interference. 

Exactly. Reading text entries of an alien society that ceased to exist, seemingly overnight, the mystery going after that. Until players hit a very specific world, giving them a "mother of 2Pac" revelation of what went down. After all, the Resurrection Nodes run on a quantum wibbly-wabbly science. Let it be a part of that :D

Gotta agree with this.

"It certainly helps to have more than one mind thinking. I see your points and they make absolute sense. I simply thought sooner or later, players may want something else to interact with. Cybrex point is valid here: the life forms don't need to be advanced or intelligent. Were either of the conditions true, then Captain's point make absolute sense. It may be inevitable that an alien race is included, but, as I noted: this game is still in the early stages of development. There's ample time for that to come later.

Pax Vobiscum.

"

Exactly. Reading text entries of an alien society that ceased to exist, seemingly overnight, the mystery going after that. Until players hit a very specific world, giving them a "mother of 2Pac" revelation of what went down. After all, the Resurrection Nodes run on a quantum wibbly-wabbly science. Let it be a part of that :D

is that any thing like big ball of wibbly wobbly time-y wimey stuff  :P (10 brownie points to anyone that gets it lol)

"It certainly helps to have more than one mind thinking. I see your points and they make absolute sense. I simply thought sooner or later, players may want something else to interact with. Cybrex point is valid here: the life forms don't need to be advanced or intelligent. Were either of the conditions true, then Captain's point make absolute sense. It may be inevitable that an alien race is included, but, as I noted: this game is still in the early stages of development. There's ample time for that to come later.

Pax Vobiscum.

"

They do plan on adding animals its more of a question of when definitely before release though. Check it out here 7th paragraph down.

At this stage, it is not clear if we will have enough time until the alpha to implement NPC animals to come and bother you during the night, as well as serve as hunting preys. But that’s the idea, because you will need to feed yourself, and the nanoformer cannot make wood-based lunch for you!

They do plan on adding animals its more of a question of when definitely before release though. Check it out here 7th paragraph down.

At this stage, it is not clear if we will have enough time until the alpha to implement NPC animals to come and bother you during the night, as well as serve as hunting preys. But that’s the idea, because you will need to feed yourself, and the nanoformer cannot make wood-based lunch for you!

"I seem to have exceeded my quota of positive votes for the day. Pity. Nonetheless, thanks a lot for the input.

Pax Vobiscum.

"

I have to agree with captain in regards to npcs. I don't want there to be npc's past animals. at least not at first. maybe that could be an update down the road for the game. I definitely don't want npc's, if they are implemented, to have an effect on the economy unless you can hire them to run a shop for you then I feel that would be fine.

My logic for our ability to come across the ruins of an ancient civ but not come across another sentient species is this. We know that we traveled on the arc ship for 10k years. In this time its not unforeseeable that any alien species wouldn't have died out in the area we are now in.

That being said I feel the only way npcs can be implemented later is if they are somehow uplifted to fit into some lore of the game.

is that any thing like big ball of wibbly wobbly time-y wimey stuff  :P (10 brownie points to anyone that gets it lol)

If I see a TARDIS I'm gonna lose my mind fo' real. I will also wear my underpants as a bandana if someone makes an ACTUAL flying TARDIS, complete with whinings as it takes off.

If I see a TARDIS I'm gonna lose my mind fo' real. I will also wear my underpants as a bandana if someone makes an ACTUAL flying TARDIS, complete with whinings as it takes off.

challenge accepted lol. im going to figure out the code to make it bigger on the inside lol......or ill just make a giant 5km by 5km by 11km police box lol

I can see them adding it in as an expansion, if it is really needed, and desired by the masses.

Sadly, I can't see the devs having a way to add an expansion perse, rather than an update on the procedural algorithm for the "alien underground" bunkers" or even an alien civilisation world to hard spawn in the game. I mean, the procedural generation is there still, all it needs is an update on the code, since the universe is continuous and can't be "instanced" as in other titles in the genre.

Which is why I am also advocating on the cosmetic shop idea. It would help with the revenue far more than expansions would.. I mean, you could have an entire division of marines with Hello Kitty stickers on their pauldrons and call them "Covert Opurrrations" :P

Ain't no expansion giving you that :P .

But yeah, the algorithm can be tuned for a hard spawn of aliens in the world, but I can't tell how much of a toll it would be on the server, as NPCs are treated usually the same way as players memory wise. Which is why many NPCs in MMOs remain still. If they were to move server blades would crack from the memory load and people would start doing the teleport shuffle all around :P

I think that NPCs would be a great Idea, I was thinking about how players will eventually spread out into the galaxy and how it would be less and less frequent to see an actual player. NPCs could be a way to fix this, with you being able to encounter and interact with them you could have a way to fill a city with citizens or a ship with a crew.

If they would be implemented, than they should have a limit to what they are capable of doing. They might be able to be used as stormtroopers in your deathstar, because after all, is there really going to be enough actual players to crew a huge space station or large city.

If you use the Drake equation with the new figures we have today, I believe it says 50,000 civilizations in the galaxy. If you're going to limit the new colonies to a tiny speck of the galaxy then new civilizations might not be found. If you open the galaxy to exploration...its a sure thing eventually. so time and spacial limits have to be considered but thats all. And then we can consider that Humans, and those that look even close to them, are not the only entities in the galaxy, so I'd suggest nothing that stands up as we do, maybe snake like reptiles,or germ and bacteria shaped life that slides along or lives in oceans..just some ideas.

Another option to the "alien race" thing is to perhaps put another arkship on the other side of the map as it were (eg really far away) so that when the expansion finally hits you realize "holy shit I thought we were the only one".  The devs could do this without telling us and the reveal would be the best thing ever.  Imagine being that guy who is 3 months travel from the closest stargate and you find some player on a planet building a base who says the arkship is in the next system.

• 2 months later...

Another option to the "alien race" thing is to perhaps put another arkship on the other side of the map as it were (eg really far away) so that when the expansion finally hits you realize "holy shit I thought we were the only one".  The devs could do this without telling us and the reveal would be the best thing ever.  Imagine being that guy who is 3 months travel from the closest stargate and you find some player on a planet building a base who says the arkship is in the next system.

This would be really cool but think of one situation:

I start playing the game and will be put to the "first" ark ship. My friend starts playing one week later and will be put to the "second" ark ship. So we should recognize very soon that we can´t reach each other.

But the idea is still great. It would be a suprise to find another "ark ship colony" in the middle of the universe.

Thoughts?

that sounds cool but the question is how much power do they have and will this will effect the game balance becuse what if another powerful org alliances with this ai faction they would rule the Galaxy aand no one could stop them also can you buy tech from them