New planet being added: Talemai (with patch 1.2)

Novean-61657

I sincerely hope that all future planet releases are in pairs at a minimum.  The imbalance potential only grows exponentially releasing one planet at a time.  That said, I want lava.

2 hours ago, Hecticus said:

Public Service Announcement: All the ore is already locked down, no need to go scan there. 

Troll a lot?

It's been maybe 4 hours since uptime, no way that even if all the players that are left did nothing but scanning a planet and three moons for four hours, wouldn't get anywhere a complete picture...

That said, Talemai sucks for T1! I'm finding a total of 250L-270L T1 per tile, distributed over three ores (Hematite, Coal, and Quartz). Haven't found any tiles yet with T2+....

21 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

Troll a lot?

It's been maybe 4 hours since uptime blah blah …

Is this forum good for much else? Armchair game devs shouting in a vacuum, and chronic complainers complaining chronically.. what else is there to do?

my trolls aren’t daft failures to grasp the situation (usually) but rather tongue in cheek hyperbolic commentary on said situation… there were already 20 people scanning Talemai when I posted.

15 hours ago, Cergorach said:

Very little of the old Talemai remains, so yes it's an old planet, but it went through extensive plastic surgery and currently has the value of a $5 hook...

ps. We're still playing a beta... 😉

Beta?

Even beta is a stretch, since the closest thing to a consensus on the definition of a beta is the product's main functions and roadmap is laid down and the product is essentially feature complete but unpolished and with placeholders (scaffolding) in place where functions are incomplete.

This game is nowhere even near placeholder complete. LOL.

I used to call alphas masquerading as betas "balpha products" which even that I find to be generous.

My personal opinion is this game is still a pre-release, early access, alpha grade entity with less polish than a secondary school's first wind orchestra practice.

How good is it to have more planets?

It is nice to have more variation however .......... the player  base is small and the ore prices will collapse when adding more planets with ore on them. The amount of available ore is currently ok(-isch) is my feeling. Having an overkill on ore will not do the game any good. The fact the not everybody has access to all ores is a good thing. Adding mo re planets will bring dis-balance the universe .........

3 hours ago, Verliezer said:

How good is it to have more planets?

It is nice to have more variation however .......... the player  base is small and the ore prices will collapse when adding more planets with ore on them. The amount of available ore is currently ok(-isch) is my feeling. Having an overkill on ore will not do the game any good. The fact the not everybody has access to all ores is a good thing. Adding mo re planets will bring dis-balance the universe .........

What are you basing the more planets means ore price collapse on?  I would love to see some maths. 

I whole heartedly disagree that adding planets would cause more imbalances, so long as they are released in pairs or more at a time.  On the other hand, adding one at a time is more likely than not to aid in causing more imbalance.  And before someone tries to be even more pedantic than I; the moons of a planet are still part and parcel of the host planet, adding available land mass in the zone of said planet where traveling is not a significant time investment. 

Making claims that not everyone having access to all ores is to misunderstand the entire point of asteroids, or at least an oversimplification in description with missing presumptive qualifiers.  The market is the common judge of in game assets, not opinions or feelings.  

Due to serious technical and financial issues related to real world servers I will not make any claims about adding planets being a boon or bane for the game.  It is a mixed bag either way. 

@Verliezer Which ore prices? T1? T2? T3+?

T1: You're better off on Alioth, as it contains more T1 per tile then a tile on Talemai for example.

T2: Have you seen how much a patch of T2 ore nets you? It's not enough to pay for the tiles with max skills. If you add T1 and harvesting, you will make a profit, but it takes a LOT of effort for very little payoff.

New planets are added outside of the safezone, so you have added travel time while slow boating to a market that will net you the most (Alioth M6) and risk loosing the ship + cargo or pay through the nose for warp travel, evaporating most of the profit...

T3+: Most people are not yet in a position to mass produce T3+ elements due to limits on talent acquisition (not even 3 months in). There are of course orgs and people who can, but that is not the average player that is consuming most of the ore... As people spend more talent points on higher level ore skills, they'll feel confident to produce more higher tier stuff. And thus consume more.

The idea is also to get MORE people playing DU, so there should be more people consuming/using ore. Limiting planets limits ore, limits the groups controlling that ore.

The reason why the ore market is so F-ed up, is because people can't do math, they toil away at unprofitable activities that cost them a lot of time. This is not unique to DU, pretty much every online game suffers from this. But DU is now especially bad due to relatively low population and relatively early in the game's cycle...

@Wyndle If moons are not enough, then separate planets are also not enough, because of warping. For people where time is everything: Alts and warping around, even to the moons!

1 hour ago, Cergorach said:

If moons are not enough, then separate planets are also not enough, because of warping. For people where time is everything: Alts and warping around, even to the moons!

So, the people who have the resources to produce enough warp cells or quanta to pay out the nose for it can get in on the scanning game before everything is snatched up?  I wonder which groups and solo players that narrow scope would apply to with two days notice at this point in the game.

12 hours ago, Wyndle said:

So, the people who have the resources to produce enough warp cells or quanta to pay out the nose for it can get in on the scanning game before everything is snatched up?  I wonder which groups and solo players that narrow scope would apply to with two days notice at this point in the game.

Erm... I am still 'enjoying' life on Alioth, so my space time has been very limited since launch, so no Warp Drive yet... I had stopped playing the automining calibration game a while back and since, quanta has been streaming in without the need to do missions... So buying a Warp Drive, some Warp Cells (20k each, bought a 1000) and three Territory scanners at that short notice was like 40M. And I have been fairly casual with DU since launch, that was about half my quanta. I used not a lot of warp cells, I picked up enough ore while waiting for my scanners to finish to more then compensate for those used warp cells. The rest I can just use at a later time for 'stuff' (I might even sell the scanners).

This is no big org or whale quanta! This is just not being stupid, like still banging your head against the wall with T1 automining...

The only real loss was the time spend. And the question is: Was it really or was it a learning experience? I did get extremely demotivated on scanning tiles...