swkonstr

Improve market UI  

29 members have voted

1. 1. I think it's worth spending a little time on this

• Yes
    • No

NQ, really, please!
The market UI is ugly.
- 6 rows and too much free space on screen - it's terrible.
- Add price/market/etc filters for a sell and buy screens (independents)
- Remove the default 0.01 price in a sell order - you force 99% of traders press to delete every time
- Add default 1 quantity for a buy order - we newer buy 0
- Give us the opportunity to fully use the market warehouse - this saves us from hundreds of containers installed around the markets.

?

Yes.
But no! Now we can mining without any problem. Build bases and ships? Ok. Flying? Ok. Fighting? Ok. Trading? No!

And it really doesn't require a lot of work. It's only about visual representation. Except for the last point of course.

Yes. Eve has set the golden standard for what a market place UI should look like.

Making an even better UI should be possible and not THAT complicated given that they are using coherent gameface (http://coherent-labs.com/products/coherent-gameface/)  to do it rather than some inhouse tool.

With that said - I think the market place has bigger issues than the UI, mainly the economics behind it are currently entirely nonsensical. I get that the people responsible for the UI aren't the people responsible for making the economy work - just you know...having a pretty UI won't result in a functional market.

The UI/UX in general is really not good, if not bad. Not having an actual UI/UX designer and letting developers do it themselves using a very basic framework with a simple set of templates. I can only assume there is no designer for the UI/UX as if there is, he or she is really not very good at their job; so much wasted screen space, font choices that really do not fit the purpose, a non modal approach.. It's all very... chunky and clumsy IMO.

But NQ has pretty much sold their soul to the Coherent Labs framework and only a full rewrite of the entire UI/UX/Lua component of the game will allow them to get rid of it.. which obviously will not happen. Coherent can provide much better results than the "box of blocks" approach NQ went for but it still is a resource hog.

Now, NQ may well have plans for a much needed revamp (and not just a reskin) of the UI and improve the UX but as usual they will just leave us guessing and speculating on this instead of communicating such plans once a discussion comes up here.

IMO we also _really_ need an API for a number of things in game, including markets. We need access to historical date, be able to pull data to see trends and more. Maybe not immediately but the sooner the better I feel.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

The UI/UX in general is really not good, if not bad. Not having an actual UI/UX designer and letting developers do it themselves using a very basic framework with a simple set of templates. I can only assume there is no designer for the UI/UX as if there is, he or she is really not very good at their job; so much wasted screen space, font choices that really do not fit the purpose, a non modal approach.. It's all very... chunky and clumsy IMO.

But NQ has pretty much sold their soul to the Coherent Labs framework and only a full rewrite of the entire UI/UX/Lua component of the game will allow them to get rid of it.. which obviously will not happen. Coherent can provide much better results than the "box of blocks" approach NQ went for but it still is a resource hog.

Now, NQ may well have plans for a much needed revamp (and not just a reskin) of the UI and improve the UX but as usual they will just leave us guessing and speculating on this instead of communicating such plans once a discussion comes up here.

IMO we also _really_ need an API for a number of things in game, including markets. We need access to historical date, be able to pull data to see trends and more. Maybe not immediately but the sooner the better I feel.

Agree with most of it but really dont want an API, takes all the skill out of the market.

If NQ provides the tools and data in game then sure, but doing so through an API would be more efficient and cost effective I'm sure. The player base is/will probably able to build better tools (and faster)  than NQ with everything they have to deal with already.

Suggestion for the DEVS on the market UI:

When we click on the market container, please only let us select a market where we actually have stuff in the container. If I should forget in which market I bought stuff, then I don't want to try all market containers to see if my bought goodies are in there. It's unpractical PLUS it creates overhead on the database while querying every container. Thank you.

The market UI as it currently is is entirely not suitable for the task. It would be good if NQ provided some feedback on how and when they may intend to rework the UI/UX to actually be a function part of the game, not just a list of what is on offer or wanted. But I know that is idle hope as even if NQ were to fix this part of the game they would not say a word until they have made up their minds on how and there will not be any room for input or suggestions at that time.

I somehow doubt it is a placeholder and NQ will just try and "fix it" while I do agree it is probably not fixable.

As I said before, NQ should just open the API and let us build our own tools.. The community pretty much beat NQ to the punch in a ship sale store.. so why not markets..