A cranky request about forum signatures

croxis

I'm noticing that more and more people on these forums have awesome graphics in their signatures, that happen to be quite large. In fact they are often larger than most posts! My mind is getting addled in my old age, and what I'm interested in (the words you say [type?]) is getting lost in the visual clutter. I love to see your advertisements for your empires, corporations, and hippy communes. Would you mind just making them a bit shorter?

Now pardon me as I yell at some kids to get off my lawn with their stupid snapagram-book phones.

You can ignore just a persons signature without ignoring them completely.  Just click your name at the top of the screen and go to Manage Ignore Prefs.

A handy way to deal with people who choose to use full screen sized pics or flashing animated gifs as a signature.

You can ignore signatures for selected ppl or all together.

But I agree, this should be a moderation rule, in fact, IPB have a setting that can be defined to limit signature heights if the administrator want it.

I understand you croxis. While I do think many of the signatures/graphics everyone has are great, it can sometimes be a bit too much. :P

Would be nice to have a limitation on the sizes. In the mean time, I guess we'll just have to use the forum features available to us. :)

The first two I had were big monsters that ate a lot of space. I got really nervous and self conscious about it and worked at making a smaller icon to represent things.

I kind of like that NQ has not yet moderated it from there end. They're giving us a chance to figure out what to much is, all in all, yes being modest with the signature height is best I agree there.

I do have a feeling the limitations will place them in around the size mine currently are - however there is quite a large amount of potential that I could be wrong. 

None the less, I provide my signatures for a good example of decent size, but not eyesores, or just blatantly large. 

I'm noticing that more and more people on these forums have awesome graphics in their signatures, that happen to be quite large. In fact they are often larger than most posts! My mind is getting addled in my old age, and what I'm interested in (the words you say [type?]) is getting lost in the visual clutter. I love to see your advertisements for your empires, corporations, and hippy communes. Would you mind just making them a bit shorter?

Now pardon me as I yell at some kids to get off my lawn with their stupid snapagram-book phones.

As stated before, I would love to adjust the size but the forum doesn't allow that and I don't have en editor on my computer that can adjust the size ratio

I personally think that the Dual Forums should be locked down like the WOW forums are. No signatures, no outside links. I would even go so far as to say no personal pictures (wow uses an avatar based on how your character in game looks).

This is the best way to keep the forums clean, neutral, family friendly, and reduce the risk of someone clicking a link that takes them to a page that unloads a virus onto their computer.

I have made more signatures on these forums than anyone. I love signatures and think they are fun but without heavy moderation they can be a problem. Dual does not have time or money to ultimately monitor the forums in that way. The more players the more issues with the signatures.

Best option is to mirror what other successful game companies have done for their forum moderation. It will reduce making your appearance unique, but at the same time people should not be spending all their time on the forums. They should be in game. (yes I know there is no game yet, but there is also not 1500 posts worth of stuff to talk about on the forums).

I personally think that the Dual Forums should be locked down like the WOW forums are. No signatures, no outside links. I would even go so far as to say no personal pictures (wow uses an avatar based on how your character in game looks).

Um, no thanks. 

I'd rather have the forums be a free place of discussion where we can have our own personalities and our own custom profiles that aren't limited by a set of arbitrary predefined avatars and insane rules like "no outside links and no signatures".

There's a very easy way to hide signatures if you don't like them, but don't put that on the rest of us who don't have a problem with them.

If a problem link is posted, report it and let the moderators handle it.

Don't just prematurely punish all of us because of some unfounded fears just because "that's what other companies do".

Other companies have had years and even hundreds of millions in funding to try and develop a game like this but nobody picked up the torch until JC sat down and started working on the networking tech. In that same vein, Novaquark shouldn't be expected to do what other companies do all the time, they don't have anyone to answer to, they are independently funded, they make their own rules. 

If I wanted to participate in a community that operated like 1984 I would just go back to using overly moderated subreddits on reddit.