Removal of Postings

Cytoxx

Recently a posting thread was removed with a conflicting heading.

May I suggest that if censoring/removal is necessary, doing it in a fashion that is less intrusive - for example in that above mentioned posting to just delete the offending passage (maybe even adding a comment like "removed because in violation of XY").

The discussion in that posting was in my opinion quite valuable, debating the difference between exploits and exaggerated (unintended) effects, and if describing them in public is acceptable or not.

NQ may even chip in to clarify that kind of issues ;)

Please reconsider the removal of that thread.

1 hour ago, Iorail said:

That post violated a few forum rules on top of explaining and discussing a game exploit, I’m surprised it wasn’t taken out earlier.

Why not just remove the offending part, and not the whole thread?

19 minutes ago, Cytoxx said:

Why not just remove the offending part, and not the whole thread?

Well, if you followed on that thread, every post after the OP was either further explaining the exploit, a breach of the NDA or nothing to contribute in a positive way, so why keep it?

Remember, it's far better when only a certain subset of the players get to use an exploit. That way it maximises the differential and disparity caused by the exploit so that only those in the know get to benefit from it..

If the news of the exploit became widespread then everyone would benefit from it and the sudden player parity and fairness would destroy the status quo.

/s

IMO, if NQ has no intention of winding back the earnings of players who use an exploit then the only fair course of action is to give everyone access to the exploit until it is fixed.

Otherwise NQ are just entrenching the winners and condoning the behaviour as a valid machanism to get ahead of others.

1 hour ago, Iorail said:

Well, if you followed on that thread, every post after the OP was either further explaining the exploit, a breach of the NDA or nothing to contribute in a positive way, so why keep it?

I followed that thread and even posted there - and I disagree with your statement that it had nothing positive to contribute. That discussion about differences between exploits and unintended features, and how to handle them, was in my view highly interesting.

Plus, your claim that every posting was further explaining the exploit, etc is simply not correct.

Yeah, NQ really need to pick up their game when it comes to common sense and fixing/communicating before they poison the waters too far and player base as whole will become hostile. Sad truth is the only people who don't know what most of exploits are, at least in general terms, are casuals who don't talk much in or around the game, nor keep their ear to the ground when someone start talking about DU. This knowledge is neither really guarded (with some really harmful exploits as exceptions), nor is hard to come by, even by accident.

So let me get this straight.

You are upset that a post that violated the rules was removed... And believe that it should have been selectively censored.  So it would read like a CIA released document of more black redacted lines than words.

10 hours ago, Iorail said:

That post violated a few forum rules on top of explaining and discussing a game exploit, I’m surprised it wasn’t taken out earlier.

This is correct. The reason for the delay is that it's currently a bit hard to keep up - some people don't seem to have read the forum rules and working through reports takes its time.

The forum rules can be found here:

Excerpt

(IV) The following actions may result in the immediate suspension of forum privileges:

• Promoting exploits, cheating programs, piracy or any sort of illegal activity.

This is the most relevant forum rule and reason why that thread was hidden. @Cytoxx please remove the link and title-quote from your original message - thanks! The only two things to do with exploits are 1. report them to NQ and 2. avoid using them.

I'd like point out this recent announcement by @NQ-Naerais

A bug or exploit does not need to be listed there in order to be prosecuted if used, so I'd strongly advise to always report at support.dualthegame.com if there is any doubt. I'm not familiar with the development schedule, but I'd think that every issue gets tracked, assigned a priority and will be taken care of as soon as possible. If the support is delayed or the issue doesn't get fixed within a day, a week or even a month it doesn't invalidate the forum rule posted above: promoting exploits is prohibited. As posted by @NQ-Naerais: exploiting is prohibited as well.

I'm not a GM or CM, but as it's hard to keep up with the frequency of forum rule violations, I imagine it might just be as time consuming to keep up with in-game rule violations - so I'd personally advise to not mistake it as okay or not prosecuted to use an exploit, just because there's no notice or sanction shortly after. Analog to this I too have my todo list for threads and members to address/sanction for spamming, trolling (provoking), flaming (insulting, attacking), profanity and so on. Meaning: better not let yourself be inspired by other's violations ;) 

10 hours ago, Cytoxx said:

May I suggest that if censoring/removal is necessary, doing it in a fashion that is less intrusive - for example in that above mentioned posting to just delete the offending passage (maybe even adding a comment like "removed because in violation of XY").

If it's just one answer on a thread the moderation team would just hide that one answer. But if others already quoted and commented it can get very difficult to clean up. If it's too difficult or the original posting already violates the forum rules (which can't be cleaned up either) the according thread will be hidden entirely. Sorry for the resulting inconvenience - in order to avoid it I suggest to just report clear violations of the forum rules and not engage the violation on such a thread.

If there's a valuable discussion to be had in line with the rules it's always an option to open up a new thread for this. But as thread starter be mindful that if it's a sensitive topic it can easily get out of hand and might be treated as mentioned above - so it's in the interest of everyone who wants to have a friendly and open discussion, to not engage to provocation, but just report the according comment and keep it calm and polite otherwise. Thanks! :) 

@LouHodo no, he just wasn't sure why that thread was gone and made a suggestion for improvement. Your posting reads as if you think this was wrong, but please try to see the positive side of it and keep it constructive, as I take the positive from your posting and agree that issues with moderation should be taken to moderators and not discussed directly on the forums. Two reason for this are that 1. the moderation staff can miss such topics while 2. members on their own can't answer the question "Why?" or solve issues or change how moderation is done without talking to us, the moderators.

Next time something vanishes and it's unclear why, please just send a private message to me and I'll look into it to provide an answer :) 

Mellow greetings

Mondlicht

55 minutes ago, Mod-Mondlicht said:

@NQ-Naerais

@LouHodo no, he just wasn't sure why that thread was gone and made a suggestion for improvement. Your posting reads as if you think this was wrong, but please try to see the positive side of it and keep it constructive, as I take the positive from your posting and agree that issues with moderation should be taken to moderators and not discussed directly on the forums. Two reason for this are that 1. the moderation staff can miss such topics while 2. members on their own can't answer the question "Why?" or solve issues or change how moderation is done without talking to us, the moderators.

Next time something vanishes and it's unclear why, please just send a private message to me and I'll look into it to provide an answer :) 

Mellow greetings

Mondlicht

No I believe you misread my post.  It is a sarcastic response to the constant questioning of moderator actions when those actions are well within the enforcement of the rules.

@Cytoxx thanks to you too for the edit and you're welcome. As mentioned above: feel free to contact me directly next time. But having this here (in this case) ain't too bad since I got here rather early for a change, so it might even guide others :) 

@LouHodo yeah, I admit I struggled a bit pondering what your intent was. Sarcasm can obscure that - even now with your clarification, for a short while, I wasn't sure if the use of sarcasm was meant as provocation or just advice to trust a moderator's decisions. In case of the latter: thanks! And if you want to help even more I think it would be good to either keep the level of sarcasm down a bit or add a nicely phrased explanation in addition, so the other party has an easier time to relate and see your point. That other party being me in this case - not speaking for Cytoxx - as it was me who was a bit puzzled by that ;)