Here you can discuss anything related to Star Citizen. Will make the OP fancier in the near future, with some information about the game for people new to it, etc.

Until then I assume people either already know about it or will utilize a search engine of their liking to find out more about Star Citizen.

Here's something that made it into SC related news on google and whatnot:

2 minutes ago, SneakySnake said:

release date pls 

I think we shouldn't expect something like a "classic release date". Due to the scope of the game, the game will simply always be worked on, with bits and big milestones added. Even if you say "Release is in 2 years", so much would likely come after this ominous "day X".

I mean, "release date" would likely be a marketing tool by now to get attention to the game again - although I assume such "release date" would be further into the future as the game isn't anywhere of being done in terms of the multiplayer universe. Now unless you mean a release date for Squadron 42, the singleplayer campaign, then it'll take many more years to even think about a "release date" for the multiplayer component since so much is missing and they still seem to focus on notable framework or background technology.

Once that is in place and working, I'm assuming the progress on content should be faster, maybe notably faster. If you want to know how much is missing, look at the interactive star map on the website. See all those systems? Yeah, those are missing. The current system that is in isn't even fully done, with major planets missing. Once the whole system is ready, then we can tick that off as milestone.

I have no clue how fast they can be once they dedicate more personnel to creating content and systems, but damn, it'll take many more years for it all to be fleshed out.

I'd say a lot should be done in the next 8 to 10 years.

11 minutes ago, SneakySnake said:

@Warden  without release date this looks like a scam ?  There should be a road map, which shows the approximate dates.

There is a (new) roadmap that has been around for a while, usually containing the next few version estimates including all planned milestones.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen/info

2 hours ago, Lethys said:

"You won't be able to play with thousands of ppl"

Looks like CR himself killed it for me a month ago 

Tbh, I never expected this from the game if he literally means thousands at a time with that quote (that I missed), per "instance" and depending on what counts as "instance" later on - the whole universe? Or will each solar system be an "instance" meaning you are not locked in with the same players in your area once you join. Or in other words, you join and pop up in whatever system you were with X people, and once you leave the system you could be in another instance, but that would mean once you return the people who were there when you joined would be gone.

No clue, just guessing. It wouldn't be consistent like that, but I doubt they count the whole universe as instance because an instance can only hold a certain amount of people, meaning that a universe would feel rather dead-ish player-wise, regardless of how many NPCs populate it.

Anyway, as I hinted at the beginning, I don't have the expectation for thousands of people (per instance). Perhaps if you played games like EVE you might change standards, but I personally think games like EvE with single shards are not as common - at least they don't seem to me. Most games with online components are limited in terms of player size per server or instance due to technical reasons.

I just think they notable need to increase player count per instance or server. Right now it might be more than it used to be, but I think it's still not high enough. While I'm not quite sure where the number is right now without further research, as far as I know it's not sufficient yet because one has to factor in all the upcoming capital ships. What use are capital ships that can sometimes require a crew up to like 70 or several dozen people at full contingent (including marines and replacement staff) if one of those would already notably fill up the instance. While I don't expect huge fights between player-only fleets with several capital ships, there needs to be the possibility for larger fleet operations by players, for larger player organizations.

And who knows, if the technology allows more in the upcoming years and decades, perhaps such statements will be revised.

TL;DR: I personally never expected the standards of EvE for example, if that quote is to be literal and seen as "at a time within an instance". It just needs to be more than it is right now and give the subjective feeling of allowing sufficient player numbers, even if they always said you will encounter 90% NPCs or whatever. Larger groups should be able to play together at a time. Who knows what the future will bring. But for a single shard experience akin to EvE with many players, I look for DU to fulfil those needs right now - most other games cannot do this by design it seems.

2 hours ago, Lethys said:

"You won't be able to play with thousands of ppl"

Looks like CR himself killed it for me a month ago 

Are you saying that CR stated that it will not be and open world MMO. If so how many will be in each instance? 

I am unaware of CR making such a statement. 

1 hour ago, Vulcore said:

Are you saying that CR stated that it will not be and open world MMO. If so how many will be in each instance? 

I am unaware of CR making such a statement. 

I'm unaware myself, but then again I don't think we can expect to be able to play with literally thousands of other players at a time, I doubt the tech and framework could handle it any time soon.

However, perhaps a few hundred per solar system might seem obtainable. I do remember an older quote where he more or less mentions the possibility of playing with a lot (thousands?) of players but that remains to be seen.

If I recall right, currently about 50-60 can be in an instance, but I'd have to check. It should show it somewhere as you join. This is an increased number to before where I recall about half of that being possible per instance. So far the trend indicates upward progression, and it has to because I remember the crew listing for a destroyer being about 70, max or ideal.

Min 15

@Warden @Vulcore

FTR did a video in that one too i think 

For me  that's exactly what it is about. I want huge battles and not just 1000 ppl running around on a planet or some bs. 

Oh and I never played SC and probably never will, to me it all sounds....meh ("pvp switch" lol fucking pathetic imho)

14 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Min 15

@Warden @Vulcore

FTR did a video in that one too i think 

For me  that's exactly what it is about. I want huge battles and not just 1000 ppl running around on a planet or some bs. 

Oh and I never played SC and probably never will, to me it all sounds....meh ("pvp switch" lol fucking pathetic imho)

I believe you're mistaken if DU could handle smooth and enjoyable battles at those scales.

It'd be at least a few years before DU is developed enough.

1 hour ago, Kuritho said:

I believe you're mistaken if DU could handle smooth and enjoyable battles at those scales.

It'd be at least a few years before DU is developed enough.

it depends rly and yes it has to be seen - I agree

but at least in DU you have the possibility to do that with all the limitations in place (no simulated bullets, no twitch pvp, no "real" physics like said in many videos - floating mountains and such - and so on). Which was a killer in SC right from the start

5 hours ago, Lethys said:

but at least in DU you have the possibility to do that with all the limitations in place (no simulated bullets, no twitch pvp, no "real" physics like said in many videos - floating mountains and such - and so on). Which was a killer in SC right from the start

I still wonder if battles would even be fun in DU. Most of it will be lock-on, and the side with better defenses and attacks (a game of rock-paper-scissors) wins.

If they add fixed weaponry, then combat would be much more enjoyable.

JC, please do your thing.

4 hours ago, Lethys said:

A lot could be elaborated and contextualized. But to keep it short: SC is a Space Sim. Of the $200m apparently raised, well under 'less than half of that' would have produced a very solid space sim that would be playable by now. Instead probably most of that money has gone towards mere decorations on top along with the technical challenge to increase the networking... as above from a basis right at the very opposite end of MMO to that of Dual Universe or EVE Online.

In the above video, Roberts mentions 1,000 players. But that is subdivided across separate instances within a star system. So distribution will be large to achieve this in the first place and by necessity. Secondly even in that given above, the density (with dynamic gameplay) will be limited to small.

Now come back to Dual Universe, on the other end of the scale, with design eg multi-crew ships, let's just pluck 50 avatars and put them in 1 large ship. This immediately cuts down the client update on other clients required. The dynamic network balance system (which does not exist and never will in SC) already handles the density of those players in that spaceship. Overall if you were to then take 20 large such spaceships, you could theoretically get to that 1,000 player battle number. Further not taking into account associated battles removed in distance but related to that say "mega focal point", the number can again increase. There's even options for example to have targeted manned-turrets but you could abstract this and have players at consoles looking at screens on board doing some form of "min-game mini-map" that then if successful fires a successful shot (thus again reducing dependency on what the client needs to update with (I assume). Thus again the ship can abstract the problem along with game design to manage the networking more simply. So far so ambitious, but all for 10m euros and 2yrs to alpha to contrast.

Roberts, in a recent interview, mentioned Minecraft being inspiration for Early Access. Yet, this contradicts what they were actually selling SC as back in 2012: 2yrs to release; macro-transactions and changing both the engine and scope of the game. Finally a successful EA must have a solid, core and fun MVP which is exactly what Minecraft achieved thanks to it's voxels. Star Citizen is highly uninteractive with the most impressive gameplay taking stills and pictures of the game world. And because of this: They are on an endless funding drive: Probably needing at least $300m let alone $60m ("we have enough now but more makes SC better.").

Coming back to Dual Universe, from blocky voxels in Minecraft, to smoothed voxels in Landmark (but they never had networking solutions) to networking solutions and dynamic moving voxel constructs: These are as seen in the alpha 1 video a positive Early Access basis. Probably not for Alpha 1 given limited server time, but with more - definitely - seeing the player constructs.

On the one hand, you can throw your money into a bottomless pit with SC, and on the other hand, your gameplay can raise grand designs to life in DU. I know which activity I would place my trust, my hope and my money into the hands of.

3 hours ago, Kuritho said:

I still wonder if battles would even be fun in DU. Most of it will be lock-on, and the side with better defenses and attacks (a game of rock-paper-scissors) wins.

If they add fixed weaponry, then combat would be much more enjoyable.

JC, please do your thing.

Blowing up a ship of 50 crew will always be fun.

But the scale is the real arena not the actual mechanics: A large battle might be strategically decisive on a vaster scale: Economy, territory, pollical, terror and the sanctity of peoples' cherished creations and civilizations. It's for that reason that I think PvP MUST be scaled up also - the biggest scale being it's own specialization.

I thought we can lock-on a part of the ship like choosing place to shot. And what left on the place after shoot is "a hole" . So with that we can shot each place on the ship like engine, bridge, reactor room, ...
Also i hear lock-on will be make smooth as much as possible so player dont feel so annoy as it look like click to shot like any FPS.

Yeah even with server meshing each server/instance only capable of 50-100 players all meshed into one server(this is the plan as i understand it).  Sc's 3 largest orgs total over 40,000 members The biggest org >>Test Squadron<< has 17,000 members.Imagine, if they held an event or wanted have there own base anything that would bring them all together even if only 30% where on at any one time that's 5000 people in one place. Now inevitably org's are going to make alliances they will sooner or later fight there could be 100,000 or people all fighting in one place  if it works that would be something to see :)  I hope it does. 

10 hours ago, Borb_1 said:

Blowing up a ship of 50 crew will always be fun.

But the scale is the real arena not the actual mechanics: A large battle might be strategically decisive on a vaster scale: Economy, territory, pollical, terror and the sanctity of peoples' cherished creations and civilizations. It's for that reason that I think PvP MUST be scaled up also - the biggest scale being it's own specialization.

You don't understand my statement.

With DU's current proposed combat mechanics, it'd be a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Plus, DU probably couldn't handle battles larger than 200 people regardless of what the benchmarks say.

Even with economics involved, the bigger org should always win if they aren't ran by baboons.

8 hours ago, Kuritho said:

With DU's current proposed combat mechanics, it'd be a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Plus, DU probably couldn't handle battles larger than 200 people regardless of what the benchmarks say.

it has to be seen yet how DU performs with so many ppl shooting and killing each other - PvP is for a later date as you know

And yes, basically it's rock paper scissors. With skills you only get % better on aiming, damage or whatever. Hitting depends on more variables tho (all imho and not necessarily what NQ has in mind):

If you look at EVEs hit chance

Turret_hit_chance.png

So it CAN be made in a way that player behavior has a deep impact on that one. Fly faster (angular velocity), be smaller (signature), use faster tracking turrets (tracking), keep moving and don't let your angular velocity be 0. When ppl think of EVEs combat system or fights they always think "yeah. click your FC, click orbit at 10k, then just lock onto targets and press F1. If I get locked up, our healers will heal me. If they're too slow then I die and reship".

While that is a quite accurate POV from an outsider to EVEs combat, it's way more complex than that (preperations alone are science) but that's not the point here.

That complex formula doesn't have a big impact on mass fleets of 500 ppl because there you have other issues and problems - but for a solo player it has a HUGE impact. If you fight solo then you have to manually control your ship in order to maximize it's performance. lure faster, smaller attackers into a trap so they shoot over you and have to come back in an arch - at which point their angular velocity will be 0 and you can hammer that ship.

And I expect DUs combat to be somewhat similar - if you have the numbers then hitting or not hitting won't change that much because it's all out war. but for smaller raids and gangs it will be quite important to know how hitting, damage and other stuff works.

So I'd rather say it's rock paper-scissors-lizard-spock-old lady-athlete-tree-flower-insect-whale-krill-hawk-moon-mars-sun

Apart from any current sub-debate or topic, here's a perhaps useful video that explains the game in an optimistic outlook.

Of course the project has seen and will likely see "controversy" and it has many vocal opponents. I personally think it is a vision to believe in (without saying you cannot criticize aspects of it). It just needs a hell of a lot more time and content and refinement, but if all ends up in working order it will maybe revitalize the industry and bring encouragement where you could sometimes get the picture of it being a shallow or questionable thing, thanks to certain big actors who deliver rather shallow products. My impression anyway.

Whatever your stance about the game, supporter, opponent, neutral, anything else, maybe you find this video interesting:

On a personal note, I stopped trying to compare it to DU a long time ago. I see gems in both with their distinctive pros and cons and maybe slightly different target audiences. They do not seem fully comparable due to how they're set up and what they intend to offer to the players. Chances are I will play both.

I like SC. Its just a different concept than DU. Its now slowly getting ahead. The latest versions overcame some important technical hurdles.

I watched and observed Star Citizen and its development for about 5 years before getting my first starter package two years ago. Now I'm into it with a few ships and enjoy playing and testing the current alpha builds.

They now have 500+ people working on it in 4 studios in 3 countries. I think the project is getting ahead now. Flying through the atmosphere on Hurston looks absolutely amazing.

I hope they can get the bugs in the mission system fixed soon and add more gameplay features. Then the project is on a good path...

I liked the idea of SC back when they released their kickstarter video, because at the time I was burnt out from Eve and wanted a more first-person space MMO instead of the RTS micromanagement of Eve. But now I am more interested in sandbox gameplay rather than theme park.

12 hours ago, Warden said:

Apart from any current sub-debate or topic, here's a perhaps useful video that explains the game in an optimistic outlook.

Of course the project has seen and will likely see "controversy" and it has many vocal opponents. I personally think it is a vision to believe in (without saying you cannot criticize aspects of it). It just needs a hell of a lot more time and content and refinement, but if all ends up in working order it will maybe revitalize the industry and bring encouragement where you could sometimes get the picture of it being a shallow or questionable thing, thanks to certain big actors who deliver rather shallow products. My impression anyway.

He Who Must Not Be Named ; "Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!" ; "Be Good Or The General Will Get You!" ?

Perhaps someone will make a "Cities In The Sky" monument on Alioth? Le Corbusier. The Monster speaks in riddles. The foolish are devoured, the wise... respect the rules of the game: What is the connection to SC, OP?

PlanVoisin.jpg