The Dyson Sphere Initiative

Melkor Morgoth

I like the idea. And it depends on the number of systems (stars) we will have in the game.

A Dyson Sphere would eat up multiple solar systems resources to form it around a solar system and a sun. 

It is possible in theory, but if the game will make it possible - I can hardly believe. That would be alone in data (all the voxel information) so massive, that the servers would be breaking by trying it. Most likely the storage capacity of the game will break before we could finish it.

But there are variants and maybe a ring around the sun would be already good enough. And if that is to big - we could start with a ring around a planet, or convert a planet into a ring .. (Halo)*cough* 

As much as I would love to build on such a thing, I doubt we would ever manage to complete it. It would definately take LUA to do it. Humans are simply to slow ... 

1 hour ago, SerErris said:

I like the idea. And it depends on the number of systems (stars) we will have in the game.

A Dyson Sphere would eat up multiple solar systems resources to form it around a solar system and a sun. 

It is possible in theory, but if the game will make it possible - I can hardly believe. That would be alone in data (all the voxel information) so massive, that the servers would be breaking by trying it. Most likely the storage capacity of the game will break before we could finish it.

But there are variants and maybe a ring around the sun would be already good enough. And if that is to big - we could start with a ring around a planet, or convert a planet into a ring .. (Halo)*cough* 

As much as I would love to build on such a thing, I doubt we would ever manage to complete it. It would definately take LUA to do it. Humans are simply to slow ... 

I agree, we would probably break the game with a full sphere, maybe a Dyson Swarm or as you said a ring would work, for a run we would have to make rails of some sort and then use automated drones to make it. Turning a planet into a ring though.... didn’t think about that 

Sounds interesting, I particular like the idea of using automated drones to do it. If there are solar panels in game this structure would definitely produce incredible amounts of energy, and we could turn the surrounding sphere into a city without needing to worry about power. One issue would be the huge amount of resources needed to create this. If we wanted to mine an entire planet we would still need to store the resources somewhere, so would likely need to construct a space station in the Sun's orbit to store this, and have automated ships transport the resources there. 

Interesting idea I'd happily help you guys work on this project ingame, though we'd need to get help from a lot more people

28 minutes ago, Gonk said:

Sounds interesting, I particular like the idea of using automated drones to do it. If there are solar panels in game this structure would definitely produce incredible amounts of energy, and we could turn the surrounding sphere into a city without needing to worry about power. One issue would be the huge amount of resources needed to create this. If we wanted to mine an entire planet we would still need to store the resources somewhere, so would likely need to construct a space station in the Sun's orbit to store this, and have automated ships transport the resources there. 

Interesting idea I'd happily help you guys work on this project ingame, though we'd need to get help from a lot more people

Yeah, this would be a very interesting thing that me and my org are considering doing I bet half or more of the guys in my org would join in so that’s a good 60-70

Interested also, And depending on the size of it it should be DUable, just need a star we can reach and determine the optimal distance from it to start building, or build multiple orbital star bases very close to the star to commence building the actual sphere, this sphere could begin small and have multiple layers, might start with rings and if those are feasible build from there. Suggestion, make an org named The dyson initiative and invite us all ;)

It's great fun to dream, but keep in mind that DU is just a game.

You could build a voxel sphere around the "sun", but absolutely nothing would happen unless NQ adds the necessary code and game features for something to happen.

In DU, the sun does not radiate energy. "Solar energy" doesn't exist until NQ implements elements that can interact with it.

Your character won't get a suntan when they take off their suit helmet, unless NQ codes-in that feature... ;)

pretty sure you would end up needing hundreds of thousands of players and the resources of several solar systems to create a very basic and very thin ring......  honestly dont think it can be done....

10 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

Dont underestimate dedicate player. With time and resource they can do everything.

I have nothing against the dedicated player(s), I just think that everyone is in love with the idea yet doesnt realise the ENORMOUS effort needed to construct something like that.

Think of it this way, we live on a ball, the Earth, to make a Dyson Sphere you would have to have millions/billions of earths to be in the same orbital plane. Sure, you could reduce the amount of material needed by making it ribbon like instead of a big sphere, however that is still an enormous task.

Good luck on building such a thing.....  btw, ever consider that it would make a lovely resource vault for those wanting easy to find resources? You would have to force shield the entire lot, with all the logistics that goes with that.

Am I a 'debbie downer'? Maybe. Go for it anyway, I just dont think any of you are realising the scale of the task.

57 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

I have nothing against the dedicated player(s), I just think that everyone is in love with the idea yet doesnt realise the ENORMOUS effort needed to construct something like that.

Think of it this way, we live on a ball, the Earth, to make a Dyson Sphere you would have to have millions/billions of earths to be in the same orbital plane. Sure, you could reduce the amount of material needed by making it ribbon like instead of a big sphere, however that is still an enormous task.

Good luck on building such a thing.....  btw, ever consider that it would make a lovely resource vault for those wanting easy to find resources? You would have to force shield the entire lot, with all the logistics that goes with that.

Am I a 'debbie downer'? Maybe. Go for it anyway, I just dont think any of you are realising the scale of the task.

I fully realize the scale of what we’re doing, we’re going to need to strip mine a system maybe more, and the shield the sphere and defend it, but I think it could work. And I believe we can find enough people to make this happen, slowly but surely.

strip one system? you would have to strip thousands, if not millions of systems.....

Then to man the ring, let alone the sphere, you would need millions of people, if not billions.......

So yea, Ill be there for the free resources ;)

Oh, and you would need to guard both sides of the ribbon/sphere - that just doubled the number of people you would need.

As I've said above, its a nice idea but none of you appreciate the scale of the thing, and others will come to abuse the work done, like easy to get resources ;)

You realize that The sphere itself is not very thick, it's a few blocks thick and then the inside is all solar panels. It won't take millions to man, only need to have like 50 MAX guys in the control station, and we're not stupid, we're going to have defenses, so good luck getting the resources. It only encompasses the star

39 minutes ago, Melkor_Morgoth said:

You realize that The sphere itself is not very thick, it's a few blocks thick and then the inside is all solar panels. It won't take millions to man, only need to have like 50 MAX guys in the control station, and we're not stupid, we're going to have defenses, so good luck getting the resources. It only encompasses the star

And how big do you think a STAR is?  lol

here is a clue: http://www.suntrek.org/sun-as-a-star/sun-and-earth/comparing-size-sun-and-earth.shtml

It's one of the things I consider nice in theory but useless or too impractical in practice.

I can still see a ring world work even though that itself would cost many resources and then people to maintain and defend since it would be in space around a star ?

You have to claim and manage that somehow. I don't want to stop anyone for going for even more, I just think the crazy amount of resources could be put to better use in smaller projects or war efforts since the project might turn into a barrel bust given the large amounts of people you'd have to manage.

Again, do and try as you like.

Perhaps it just works in the end but so far I'd have too many worries about abstract and real risks.