Urbanization won't be a thing in DU?

Ghoster

Aerial photography is an another way of "tourism" :P

"Indeed. But from what height would that be safe and possible? Even though it will happen, all they will see is an ordinary looking building. Anti-aircraft guns are very much a possibility. Just code them to destroy anything that flies without a specific identity tag(in case people find a way around IFF too soon)."

"Indeed. But from what height would that be safe and possible? Even though it will happen, all they will see is an ordinary looking building. Anti-aircraft guns are very much a possibility. Just code them to destroy anything that flies without a specific identity tag(in case people find a way around IFF too soon)."

Uhm, aerial doesn't have to be close to the atmosphere. I mean scoutships, have a sorta telecope on the, have left click or moust 4 button on a screenshot keybinding and you can spy the enemy, analyse the buildings nad determine where targets of opportunity are. Just like how actual aerial photography analysis functions.

A jet doesn't have to fly over an area to photograph it, it goes to a height and distance it can have a clear line of sight, then photographs the target. :P

"Yes, yes. Well said. It might be near impossible, but as long as you keep activity and traffic to and out of the building to a minimum, it's practically impossible to detect--even more so when there might be dozens of buildings around and a few that look just the same. You could even dig a tunnel to make the entry point for the spy Headquarters in another building."

In Minecraft we made extra sure to keep unwanted tourists out:

Our HQ was near the spawn city that was also "safe", the only safe place where no war or combat could happen. It was also a port city and we were just a minute down the coast on foot, so there were ... many random tourists. Not all friendly or neutral. It was located on a "spit" or "tongue of land". Water to three sides, one land reinforced access.

It was a Skyscraper complex with three large towers. The main module was actually located in one of the skyscrapers (top) and safe from artillery. Below you had a ground perimeter with a little park, tool shed, access to the underground and the walls. There was also a bunker on the corner, looking almost exactly like this:

ba8ff1ce1bda7e2cf568306359eca446.jpg

It was like an office complex doomfort. It looked both nice and yet intimidating a bit, and this was necessary to keep people out. Some actually called it "FBI headquarters" in the game. How did the wall look like? Well, as you approached that "land tongue", you'd see it get gradually more flat. The first layer actually consisted of warning signs and red warning lights. To make it obvious that beyond that point it would be trespassing. Then, a water trench came with the current going outward, and in addition soul sand was deployed so you would be ultra slow in it and prone to being hit easily. After this, a lava trench came before you'd see the final wall. The only way to get there was ... well there wasn't any way, really.

Most of the time we rather saw artillery fire than people trying to physically get in.

As for taking photos: Anything in their right mind would mask anything vital properly or put that inside ... or below ground (that is kind of inside, too). Some structures may be required to be topside (radar, etc?) but that wouldn't really be a big thing in my book.

And don't get me started on "fake targets". Our skyscrapers were often the target of enemy artillery. It was rather amusing because it was basically a shell that was relatively easy to repair with little resource impact while the enemy had to waste costly shells for nothing.

A multi-organization or "independent" city would be ideal I think, if they remotely coordinate building efforts and zoning.

Because that would add some proper believable diversity in the makeup of the city inhabitants while a blow to an individual organization would not possibly risk the whole city. Small to moderate orgs would benefit from the increased traffic and accomplish something that only a large one could easily do.

A multi-organization or "independent" city would be ideal I think, if they remotely coordinate building efforts and zoning.

Because that would add some proper believable diversity in the makeup of the city inhabitants while a blow to an individual organization would not possibly risk the whole city. Small to moderate orgs would benefit from the increased traffic and accomplish something that only a large one could easily do.

The only real independent city will probably be around the arkzone simply because thats where everyone starts. Other than that Organizations that have an alliance or are part of a bigger organization will probably build together or closer and nation type organizations might plan cities but I doubt there will be another city that just randomly pops up unless all the starting members of the city know eachother and are friends but then go on to start different orgs

The only real independent city will probably be around the arkzone simply because thats where everyone starts. Other than that Organizations that have an alliance or are part of a bigger organization will probably build together or closer and nation type organizations might plan cities but I doubt there will be another city that just randomly pops up unless all the starting members of the city know eachother and are friends but then go on to start different orgs

I agree. atm maybe only cinderfall will have a city built by its member orgs

edit: as I hit enter I realized that might not be possible as at the moment there are 2 government style orgs in the TU and the DUA...might be forgetting one but meh not my job to keep track XD

Edited by Gingerdeadman6

Creating a city would not be the largest obstacle - but perhaps among it.

Maintaining it or keeping it relatively "clean" would be a task on an equal level I like to think. For example, how you intend (whoever runs that city) to keep escalations within to a minimum.

A quick example to highlight potential problems, if conflict was technically possible in the city any time:

What laws do you enact regarding weapons? Do you "ban" weapons in the city limits or in certain areas? Do you permit them but under certain conditions, for example you can carry them but may not incite conflict with them of course. Or do you do not mind this?

Depending on how "open" a city or larger settlement would be I see room for conflict and perhaps even random violence. Another one has to get to this point first. A big obstacle may be that everyone may try to do his own thing and no one (or only few) get somewhere instead of many just focusing on very few cities that will then deserve that category, however.

I'd rather have a large shared city where you may find eventual borders to your HQ, office, outpost or whatever than solely have a large but ultimately loney rock far out in space. In fact having both is useful but I can see myself favor activity in the city or hubs.

You could also call it something bland or generic.

City / District / Sector XY (a number, for example).

I personally hope it won't be some kind of fantasy-sounding name however. But that's subjective and relative I suppose.

Over urbanisation is really the problem of abandoned structures in the safe zones. It could be solved with several tricks. 

1. A "noob bus" pick up from the ark and drop off a 3 to six wilderness locations with a regular location change. People build, harvest resources and then return by building a vehicle or catching the next "bus". This disburses harvesting and build much further than running distance and reduces early crowding. Means small bases in the urban zone. 
  2. Lootable secure chests. Storage is secure but one set of skills or tools allow you to see the contents but not loot or damage it. The other set of skills or tools allows you to take an item or two from the chest but the item is generated not lost from the inventory and your locked out from looting the inventory or seeing what's in it for a while. Your mining other peoples chest but not their contents. Difficultly is based on the market value of the items. This makes early game play beyond the safe zone viable while making raiding, viable and fruitful yet harmless. 
  3. Ruination. Abandoned buildings are templated (removed) and then modified a little and plonked down on new worlds as ruins to be found by other players. A little lore can cover why. A few rubble, dust, dune or overgrowth voxels would be needed. Abandoned storage becomes loot chests in this case with exotic or 'ruined' loot. 
  4. Beautification program. A quest like game play to demolish abandoned safe zone building with some looting of resources but a template is archived, off line and compressed, in case the owner comes back. They can spawn this template somewhere else at reduced resource cost.  
  5. A few extra fast build and demolition protected zones for machinima makers with loss less demolition tools. So city can be built used for challenge map, build off game play or movie making at low cost and then is gone just as fast.  

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed, but you will be able to encounter them when you arrive at said locations, and in many case, it will just look like a city, an outpost, an industrial complex, etc ...

They will be scattered for sure. This doesn't prevent the inevitable mess around the Arkship to form and who knows, a coruscent-style area may be there after some time.

And like others said before, alliances will form and regroup ;)

This what we did in SWG (Kauri) by grouping most Empire PvP guilds into one player-built city called "Core Bastion", including  housing, cantinas, medical facilities, defenses etc. After a time, the opposite faction (rebels) did the same just across the river, bringing EPIC pvp and fun times each day for a 2 year period

Ah. Those were the days... wasn't on Kauri from memory (or was I... did you have Trandoshan Nationalists about?), but we had similar where I was.