Jump to content
Molgor

consequences of non-regenerating planets and ressources

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, dualism said:

Hi - I meant that the ASA parts of a planet will see high mining activity but there may be little 'use' for the rest of the surface as it will be pvp but not have better resources unless there is at least 'medium' value (or not absolutuely basic low level) stuff there.

This would be worse for depletion of the ASA even if NQ opens up a new 'new arrival' ASA planet after whatever period of time because people would still be active in the ASA cities and keep resurrecting there after death 'locally' I would imagine.

Who say mining is only activity in DU. You should search, there is a toppic about Farm and Farm also inside DU scope so waste land on Alioth mean more land for farm no?

 

The resource inside ASA is the most basic one and you can even find it every where outside of safe zone, so inside ASA people left right after they can build their very basic vessel to find more advanced resource for more advanced vessel and inside ASA got nothing but basic ore so newbie always got their way there. And also we must consider about mining operation from medium to big org, they will recruit newbie to mine since there are no automated mining in DU. And so the people who mine in ASA is newbie, someguy do again their life and the minor who just mine because of some purpose.

 

Also NQ not the people who open new ASA but us, player, explorer who go deep into space find it. But agree it only possible after NQ add method for us to go to other star system. But it may take long after that to find another ASA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was trying to look at the subject of depletion and if there will be areas that suffer greatly from it. What I meant was that if most of the planet is not a place where people will be mining, then the places where they do will suffer more.

At some point things may begin to break in the newbie experience. If my first basic vehicle is a hover bike, for example, then I need terrain to be hoverable and not have holes that may even trap such a vehicle completely. There cannot really be terrain maps available for navigation because terrain is not set in stone (;)) and I doubt NQ will restrict slop angles either. Thus, the most basic of vehicles for anything other than a well-kept city must be able to actually fly and not hover, which is no problem, but it becomes a basic minimum for a BP.

I understand it will be up to players and orgs to fill in holes and stuff - the question is, will they? I personally doubt it for non-territories.

I will search for the topic of farms, but suspect they will be easily 'griefable' because by their nature, farms are also very visible (usually). Yes, protection bubbles etc etc, but anything in pvp becomes a question of risk v. reward, or temporary fun = short-term risk only.. but this is a different topic now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dualism said:

At some point things may begin to break in the newbie experience. If my first basic vehicle is a hover bike, for example, then I need terrain to be hoverable and not have holes that may even trap such a vehicle completely. There cannot really be terrain maps available for navigation because terrain is not set in stone (;)) and I doubt NQ will restrict slop angles either. Thus, the most basic of vehicles for anything other than a well-kept city must be able to actually fly and not hover, which is no problem, but it becomes a basic minimum for a BP.

I understand it will be up to players and orgs to fill in holes and stuff - the question is, will they? I personally doubt it for non-territories.

 

Roads or other infrastructure - at least for travelling between certain points, not so much random exploration of the wilderness. If people want it, it can be done and those roads could be maintained, offering a certain standard of mobility or average speed vs. a "bumpy road or ride" by going through the wilderness.

 

In the end, if it's a hassle or obstacle, players have to deal with it. Same with war torn areas. In another game in another time you should've seen the areas around a safe city where new players would spawn or where you would go for trading and so on. It looked like a warzone with occasional deep holes in the ground where I could not tell if it was because of mining or bombs. It looked messy.

 

So what did we do? We started an initiative to fix the holes and damage, make it greener. If no one does it, nothing will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dualism said:

I was trying to look at the subject of depletion and if there will be areas that suffer greatly from it. What I meant was that if most of the planet is not a place where people will be mining, then the places where they do will suffer more.

At some point things may begin to break in the newbie experience. If my first basic vehicle is a hover bike, for example, then I need terrain to be hoverable and not have holes that may even trap such a vehicle completely. There cannot really be terrain maps available for navigation because terrain is not set in stone (;)) and I doubt NQ will restrict slop angles either.

i doubt about hole will be every where.

 

People will usually go to the underground tunnel where old player have mined long ago. Why ? because it is easier for them to find ore than spend more time just to dig another random hole at random place and hope for some ore there.

 

You think those mine will got nothing ? Well that right there will be some tunnel got complete nothing but not all will be same. Most people will just mineto get basic vessel and go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warden said:

If no one does it, nothing will change.

Yup. Were you successful and would you generally expect to be, depending on what you are faced with?

 

1 hour ago, Warden said:

In the end, if it's a hassle or obstacle, players have to deal with it. Same with war torn areas.

Well, one other option at least in a virtual universe is not to play - which would be unfortunate but may indeed be true for many new players.

 

The NQ line seems to be that if we want an in-game result to be one way, we must work for it, maybe against others working towards something else. This is fine, but to cater for different playstyles they will all need to maintain playability in a changing universe. NQ will be setting fundamental rules all over the place, sometimes by design and sometimes because the algorithms will provide their own quirks. If an ASA planet only has low value resources, both inside and outside the ASA area, it could be because of procedural generation restraints - who knows? The devs must also decide what to put more effort into and where to put less - I do understand that.

I have now read that rocks will become harder and less easy to mine as you go down (Q&A transcript on homepage), so this may also create a form of balance on landscape outcomes too. Problems with terrain griefers? Just let them hit bedrock...! - or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dualism said:

Yup. Were you successful and would you generally expect to be, depending on what you are faced with?

 

Well, one other option at least in a virtual universe is not to play - which would be unfortunate but may indeed be true for many new players.

 

The NQ line seems to be that if we want an in-game result to be one way, we must work for it, maybe against others working towards something else. This is fine, but to cater for different playstyles they will all need to maintain playability in a changing universe. NQ will be setting fundamental rules all over the place, sometimes by design and sometimes because the algorithms will provide their own quirks. If an ASA planet only has low value resources, both inside and outside the ASA area, it could be because of procedural generation restraints - who knows? The devs must also decide what to put more effort into and where to put less - I do understand that.

I have now read that rocks will become harder and less easy to mine as you go down (Q&A transcript on homepage), so this may also create a form of balance on landscape outcomes too. Problems with terrain griefers? Just let them hit bedrock...! - or something like that.

Fortunately for the early DU players there's going to be a ton of space (pun!) and I mean the virtual world even of Alioth is already inordinately larger than almost all other mmos? I can't remember the sizes I think WWII or some game had one of the largest game maps before... Then add all the space between planets and small space bodies floating about too and then outside the solar system...

 

First thing I'd do is get a lot of collaborations going with other groups. Best way to scale up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MookMcMook said:

First thing I'd do is get a lot of collaborations going with other groups. Best way to scale up.

 

Maybe, for some (or sometimes), the only way to really get something done. Without friends, allies, partners, you'll be limited and maybe specific ideas might never be "born" or get somewhere.

 

You may not need others to come up with ideas - but you might need them to turn them into a reality.

 

Also, cross promotion.

MookMcMook and huschhusch like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nobody will fill the holes. There is no gain in that, not even a slight gain. even more, i would go for a location with a lot of holes, makes the proposed building larger since i dont have to dig the hole myself. And as previously stated, feel free to donate all your junk to me :P then ill fill the holes on my own piece of land. 

From experience i know that the non regeneration bit will get messy in the end, Probably they will come with a system to generate resources or a simple recycle system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as Aaron the ''salvage man'' say, none will fill the hole if it is wildness land. Org own city may fill the hole around the city they own to make it more beautiful, not a city which just survive a war.

 

But i think it fun to see the outcome of the ' begining of industry age' in DU, it will become history about what DU people doing in the first day of new age. I will like to see the underground tunnel become history relic of old day, a maze... who know what treasure is left inside the mine after people left in hurry to join the race about get out the planet.

 

But maybe some people see that outcome is bad like what industry revolution age have left. And they decide to fill the hold with funding from good people to fill the land.

 

Any thing can happen, just us the player decide to do it not NQ.

Aaron Cain and huschhusch like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Maybe i should make a business to fill holes for those who really have a problem with holes. But then as all environmental tasks, this will be very costly :)  Soooo, anyone still wants me to fill holes ;). But without kidding, any organization with this idea might even be lucrative although i think this virtual planet will be totally corrupted even faster as the regular earth is. Probably mined to the core, with after that massive city building on that equaling manga proportions. 

ShioriStein likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Je pense que comme dans certains jeux, un GM devra faire le tour pour voir les zones épuisées en matière et aussi pour détruire les maisons à utiliser ou à abandonner. Ou créez une autre profession qui viserait la réimplantation de la matière (jardinage) avec contrainte (encore vague mais vous voyez l'idée).

Je voudrais me dire que si je pars 1 an après le lancement du jeu que je peux en profiter autant que les autres qui sont là depuis 1 an sans être handicapé par le manque de ressources, ma seule erreur ici serait d'être en retard ... Désolé si la réponse a déjà été donnée.

 

Or a recycling system as mentioned above

or even a planetary delivery which will create hot spots

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick Question: Is this TOPIC added to the TRELLO system already?

 

Namely: Is there a gameplay function/system  for "cleaning up environments" via voxel changing planned?

 

If not, would it be a good suggestion to add? If so, how does one submit such an idea to TRELLO? Does one have to be a pledged tester currently?

 

I noticed in that blog it made no mention how ideas get put onto TRELLO in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the idea here is a a better version of the nanoformer on a construct not for voxel creation but voxel destruction (or least feeding such into the back of the construct for replacement in larger and faster quantity)?

 

The use of such would be to re-adapt the landscape back to closely fit the surrounding ground and remove "eye-sores" and waffle-crater landscapes etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 5:19 AM, Aaron Cain said:

Well, Maybe i should make a business to fill holes for those who really have a problem with holes. But then as all environmental tasks, this will be very costly :)  Soooo, anyone still wants me to fill holes ;). But without kidding, any organization with this idea might even be lucrative although i think this virtual planet will be totally corrupted even faster as the regular earth is. Probably mined to the core, with after that massive city building on that equaling manga proportions. 

If there is demand there is a business for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×