Next DU Video

ostris

Don't know if there is a topic for this already but with the kickstarter under way I thought it would be good to communicate what videos people would like to see from the Dev Team.

My list:

Build and fly a large ship - So far we have really only seen the construction and flight of a small fighter. It would be great to see a medium or large ship built and flown. Preferably with more then one player on the ship.

Show how the game handles several large ships/small ships flying - We have seen a lot of this for seconds in trailers but it would be great to see how the game handles several ships all flying near each other. preferably played controlled. Maybe have the ships fly through space as well as on planet.

Move the space station - I think it would be a fun video to slap a bunch of engines on the space station seen in many trailers/videos and move it.

Showcase all the current elements in the game - Radar, guns, engines etc showcase and possibly explain what they do.

Please add the videos you would like to see and hopefully the DU team can add some more media during the kickstarter time frame.

Well, it seems like they are showing off a bit of everything. We've already seen the server technology and what it can handle (to an extent) We've seen building, we've seen how the voxels are, we've seen some lighting effects. Honestly, I'm expecting them to show us how they plan to accomplish combat next. 

There are not many elements right know, that's the main focus of the next months (aka gameplay). 

They, as far as I know, planned some stuff to show during the kickstarter, one of which is combat, just wait :D

Multicrew and how it's handled is definitely something I'd like to see. Space Engineers, being a sort of space physics simulator, is pretty unforgiving when it comes to players meandering about a ship as it's accelerating. I wonder to what level the physics will affect players on board a ship, if at all; or perhaps the ship itself is a volume inside which players can move about freely as though the ship is static? I hope we find out soon.

Multicrew and how it's handled is definitely something I'd like to see. Space Engineers, being a sort of space physics simulator, is pretty unforgiving when it comes to players meandering about a ship as it's accelerating. I wonder to what level the physics will affect players on board a ship, if at all; or perhaps the ship itself is a volume inside which players can move about freely as though the ship is static? I hope we find out soon.

One of the things I think SE screwed itself over was by integrating the physics all too deeply under the skin, instead of setting it up as an attribute. This is one of the reasons they had such a huge difficulty with pistons and rotors, the reasons wheels are so buggy and why they gave up so early on rails (Even though they had the basic models for them). Contrast this to the rather smooth implantation of moving parts into StarMade,  where physics isn't much of a concern. Which reminds me...

If DU has any videos demonstrating mechanical parts, even early prototypes, I'd love to see that. I don't care if it's just a mechanic at this point and your only model to stick it on is a spinning squirrel, it would still be awesome to see.

I would like to see more rendering and loading of textures while flying. For example when approaching the surface of a planet or a space station.

And more different structures and objects in general to show the diversity of the game.

Honestly i have to say that every minute of new ingame video footage would be awesome!

I wonder to what level the physics will affect players on board a ship, if at all; or perhaps the ship itself is a volume inside which players can move about freely as though the ship is static? I hope we find out soon.

In an interview (1:01:52) JC mentions that "there is no limitations that the ship is moving", so it sounds like the inside of ships will be static. He also mentions only a little after that that if you cut out the underside of a mountain it would just float instead of crashing down to the planet because it's too much of a server load; I'd guess that the physics in DU won't be very extensive because of the single-shard - and I don't really mind because the game doesn't necessarily need it to be fun. This is scifi, after all.

I'd like more tech videos. How the single shard behaves in a real network with real clients (no simulated npcs) and how that awful lot of data us stored (everyone building stuff, mining, messing around with the landscape,...). Also a video on the lua part and the limits of it. In particular the 'factor human'. Like, will it be legit and possible to build a ship with a script on it, flying to the enemy fleet alone, starting the script which just sends thousands and thousands of commands to the server without doing anything real just to slow down/kill the server so the attackers can't do anything? How exactly (or with a demonstration) will the shard behave when 10/50/100 real players (or devs) play? These will be the most integral and new features of DU, so it's obvious that these should be covered up with videos to be transparent about it. Otherwise ppl will always doubt that they can do what they claim

Nothing new, just another video

Agreed, its a nice video but i really hope they focus on putting out a video that delivers some of the promises the NQ team has made. Large ship density, multi crew and large construct. Got my fingers crossed.