Jump to content
Maxnano

Base Location Problem - Looking for suggestions

Recommended Posts

Okies, Long one but here goes.

I started the game about a week ago or so. I got a Sanc Territory Unit from joining early. So i assumed this was a good thing to use and setup on the sanc moon.
This is now my main base and i get to work. a week later i realise that the resources in my tile are not infinite, even tho the way they respawn in makes it look like it is. im pretty much out of resources now down to about 1400m.  

early on, i decided to focus on building up industry, not to make a ship and not to buy anything. so i have around 20-30 diff factories and 6 ish Container M's full of stuff.

 

The problem is obvious to the more experenced but as a cautionary tale i will elaborate.

 

I cant expand to another tile near by as Sanc Territory cant be purchased. i need to leave the planet.

I dont have a cargo ship, or any experence flying that i would be confident in shipping everything i own to a new place myself.

 

What would you do:?

 

A) Hitch a lift to another planet and start again, leaving all the stuff on sanc till a time when im able to collect myself ?

b)  pack all my stuff or the essencials into a large container hover vehicle and find someone willing to help me move ?

c)  stay where i am, and  buy then upgrade a small cargo hauller to go on mining expeditions as needed to near by planets  ?

 

other options ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move to Alioth by ferry.  Take some containers and a static core.

 

Find green hex as close to market and water (helps with take off of experimental craft) as is free.

 

Place a static core and containers

 

Mine a little of each t1

 

Build/buy your industry

 

Build a ship

 

Decide one base or two.  Sanc will always be safe.  Alioth is uncertain.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea theres lots of considerations on each option, a lot of unknowns,  im certain 100% tho that the current idea of ore not respawning isnt going to work. how will newbs without territory scanners know that the tile they settled on is allready mined out and abandoned ?  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the near future, settling further from markets and landmarks will work, later in the game then purchasing it or being part of an ore rich and generous org?

 

Further than that my poor mortal eyes can only guess;  asteroids?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would stick to sanctuary base becase:

- this will never be under attack, guaranteed

- wherever you go you will still have to travel some time to get all tier 2 resrouces, especially tier 3+
- flight to near frozen moon from sanctuary is really quick and it has tone of Tier 1 resources.

The only real downside is atmoshpere of sanctuary - but if you can get your ship out of sanctuary atmo with some cargo, it means you can get it out of atmo on any other planet in safe zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the OP - interested by your decision 'not to buy anything' seems a bit odd, also something that seem to be shared with a lot of people struggling to make progress, this is a civilisation building game, where players should focus on providing specific products and services, which make an income and allow to then buy further products and services off other players.  It is NOT a solo survival game and anyone who plays it as such will be massively hampering their progression.  Just to warn you.

30 minutes ago, Anopheles said:

Move to Alioth by ferry.  Take some containers and a static core.

 

Find green hex as close to market and water (helps with take off of experimental craft) as is free.

 

Place a static core and containers

 

Mine a little of each t1

 

Build/buy your industry

 

Build a ship

 

Decide one base or two.  Sanc will always be safe.  Alioth is uncertain.

 

For this to work you will also need a territory claim as you cannot place a core on Alioth unless you have claimed the territory first.  Good news is they are not expensive any more.  100% you should move off sanctuary moon and onto Alioth, Sanc moon is a safe place / starter planet designed for people to have somewhere to store there stuff and create without fear of future destruction, IT IS NOT supposed to be the place you live out your extistence.

22 minutes ago, Maxnano said:

yea theres lots of considerations on each option, a lot of unknowns,  im certain 100% tho that the current idea of ore not respawning isnt going to work. how will newbs without territory scanners know that the tile they settled on is allready mined out and abandoned ?  

 

You are 100% certain? Even though the game developers and pretty much ALL the experienced player base think otherwise, that is ballsy?   Sanc moon resources are a tiny fraction of those within the game, new players need to get of sanc moon asap to play the game properly.  I dropped my tile on Sanc moon, it was the first thing I did at head start, not been back to it since.  Same with most experienced players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would double base.  By the time (if) Alioth moves out of the safe zone you should have the industry and the talents to have automated defences/ people in your org.

 

Late joining newbs?   Should join an org or stat on sanctuary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moosegun said:

To the OP - interested by your decision 'not to buy anything' seems a bit odd, also something that seem to be shared with a lot of people struggling to make progress, this is a civilisation building game, where players should focus on providing specific products and services, which make an income and allow to then buy further products and services off other players.  It is NOT a solo survival game and anyone who plays it as such will be massively hampering their progression.  Just to warn you.

For this to work you will also need a territory claim as you cannot place a core on Alioth unless you have claimed the territory first.  Good news is they are not expensive any more.  100% you should move off sanctuary moon and onto Alioth, Sanc moon is a safe place / starter planet designed for people to have somewhere to store there stuff and create without fear of future destruction, IT IS NOT supposed to be the place you live out your extistence.

You are 100% certain? Even though the game developers and pretty much ALL the experienced player base think otherwise, that is ballsy?   Sanc moon resources are a tiny fraction of those within the game, new players need to get of sanc moon asap to play the game properly.  I dropped my tile on Sanc moon, it was the first thing I did at head start, not been back to it since.  Same with most experienced players.

Derp, forgot the tu.  They are about 180k to 200k at time of writing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Elrood said:

I would stick to sanctuary base becase:

- this will never be under attack, guaranteed

- wherever you go you will still have to travel some time to get all tier 2 resrouces, especially tier 3+
- flight to near frozen moon from sanctuary is really quick and it has tone of Tier 1 resources.

The only real downside is atmoshpere of sanctuary - but if you can get your ship out of sanctuary atmo with some cargo, it means you can get it out of atmo on any other planet in safe zone.

Please DO NOT listen to this, this is basically tieing you to the slowest form of progression possible, because of fear of something that is months away and we dont actually know how it will be implemented, moons are HORRIFIC for ore, with the lowest levels per tile anywhere in the game. 

 

Oh and join a good org, one that gives you a bit of freedom but also some security

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moosegun said:

To the OP - interested by your decision 'not to buy anything' seems a bit odd, also something that seem to be shared with a lot of people struggling to make progress, this is a civilisation building game, where players should focus on providing specific products and services, which make an income and allow to then buy further products and services off other players.  It is NOT a solo survival game and anyone who plays it as such will be massively hampering their progression.  Just to warn you.

As someone who did exactly that (i cracked finally on container hubs - no idea why they decided to use advanced components in that one :( ) i can tell you that its perfectly doable. Later of course I will have to use market extensivly - if that fucked up economy recover enough - but basically I have bootstraped from default speed up to tier 2 parts without problem practically without using markets, including actually crafting all my cores. That's not a struggle if you like factorio or satisfactory gameplay :) And its satisfying to be self sufficient. 

You completely missundestand my type of players - we don't care about racing to the top/end game asap. We just do our thing in our own time. Yes, its not the way you play the game. Yes, the game was not design to be played this way. Yes it is and will be a challenge (mostly in patience if you are not suited for it). But I have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Elrood said:

As someone who did exactly that (i cracked finally on container hubs - no idea why they decided to use advanced components in that one :( ) i can tell you that its perfectly doable. Later of course I will have to use market extensivly - if that fucked up economy recover enough - but basically I have bootstraped from default speed up to tier 2 parts without problem practically without using markets, including actually crafting all my cores. That's not a struggle if you like factorio or satisfactory gameplay :) And its satisfying to be self sufficient. 

You completely missundestand my type of players - we don't care about racing to the top/end game asap. We just do our thing in our own time. Yes, its not the way you play the game. Yes, the game was not design to be played this way. Yes it is and will be a challenge (mostly in patience if you are not suited for it). But I have fun.

I dont 'missunderstand' your 'type' of players, i have played solo survival games loads, this is just not one of them and trying to explain to the OP why it is not the best option in DU, IMHO.  I can currently make pretty much EVERYTHING in the game on our space station but I dont choose to because it is just not worth it, my time is worth more than that.  I am not saying it is 'not doable' just that it is slow and leaves you totally isolated for the civilisation you are supposed to be helping to build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Anopheles said:

Derp, forgot the tu.  They are about 180k to 200k at time of writing

 

1 hour ago, Moosegun said:

To the OP - interested by your decision 'not to buy anything' seems a bit odd, also something that seem to be shared with a lot of people struggling to make progress, this is a civilisation building game, where players should focus on providing specific products and services, which make an income and allow to then buy further products and services off other players.  It is NOT a solo survival game and anyone who plays it as such will be massively hampering their progression.  Just to warn you.

For this to work you will also need a territory claim as you cannot place a core on Alioth unless you have claimed the territory first.  Good news is they are not expensive any more.  100% you should move off sanctuary moon and onto Alioth, Sanc moon is a safe place / starter planet designed for people to have somewhere to store there stuff and create without fear of future destruction, IT IS NOT supposed to be the place you live out your extistence.

You are 100% certain? Even though the game developers and pretty much ALL the experienced player base think otherwise, that is ballsy?   Sanc moon resources are a tiny fraction of those within the game, new players need to get of sanc moon asap to play the game properly.  I dropped my tile on Sanc moon, it was the first thing I did at head start, not been back to it since.  Same with most experienced players.

not buying anything is a strat decision, and im progressing fairly well tbh, i just have a decision to make now. btw i didnt say i wasnt selling stuff. another asumption. im just not buying.  and i have several TCU's ready.   theres nothing in this game i havent seen before elsewhere. just some odd design decisions, so just because i didnt start in alpha i wouldnt assume i have no idea what im doing.

 

the game dev's also said there wouldnt be any automated mining, and its in the future roadmap now so i wouldnt worry so much about what the devs say , whatch what they do instead. i would put money on resources being changed to respawn rather than deplete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elrood said:

As someone who did exactly that (i cracked finally on container hubs - no idea why they decided to use advanced components in that one :( ) i can tell you that its perfectly doable. Later of course I will have to use market extensivly - if that fucked up economy recover enough - but basically I have bootstraped from default speed up to tier 2 parts without problem practically without using markets, including actually crafting all my cores. That's not a struggle if you like factorio or satisfactory gameplay :) And its satisfying to be self sufficient. 

You completely missundestand my type of players - we don't care about racing to the top/end game asap. We just do our thing in our own time. Yes, its not the way you play the game. Yes, the game was not design to be played this way. Yes it is and will be a challenge (mostly in patience if you are not suited for it). But I have fun.

+1  Emergent gameplay,   its ourgame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Moosegun said:

I dont 'missunderstand' your 'type' of players, i have played solo survival games loads, this is just not one of them and trying to explain to the OP why it is not the best option in DU, IMHO.  I can currently make pretty much EVERYTHING in the game on our space station but I dont choose to because it is just not worth it, my time is worth more than that.  I am not saying it is 'not doable' just that it is slow and leaves you totally isolated for the civilisation you are supposed to be helping to build.

Real questions actually. I'm curious what do you think. Why should I be as efficient in progressing as I can? What incentive actually there is to play that civilization right now? What will I get out of going out and helping speed up to current mechanic limits beside of running out of things to do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Maxnano said:

not buying anything is a strat decision, and im progressing fairly well tbh, i just have a decision to make now. btw i didnt say i wasnt selling stuff. another asumption. im just not buying.  and i have several TCU's ready.   theres nothing in this game i havent seen before elsewhere. just some odd design decisions, so just because i didnt start in alpha i wouldnt assume i have no idea what im doing.

 

the game dev's also said there wouldnt be any automated mining, and its in the future roadmap now so i wouldnt worry so much about what the devs say , whatch what they do instead. i would put money on resources being changed to respawn rather than deplete.

The fact that you are still on sanc moon without a ship after a week would suggest that your progression is pretty slow, if you are cool with that then fine, I am just trying to give player pointers on how to progress in the game, if you are happy with your progression then no problem.  I that the opinion that now is when player should be making hay, the game is 100% safe at the moment and will be for at least another 3-6 months, this is the time you should be getting out there and making as much progress as possible.

NQ have gone on record repeatedly saying that ore would NEVER respawn, hence why I pulled you up about your '100% confident' comment.  I still see zero reason for it to need to respawn, as per the last live stream, more galaxies will be put in the game to generate more ore, if we want it, we have to move out and get it.  Dont worry, we will bring some back to sanc moon for all you hermits.

30 minutes ago, Elrood said:

Real questions actually. I'm curious what do you think. Why should I be as efficient in progressing as I can? What incentive actually there is to play that civilization right now? What will I get out of going out and helping speed up to current mechanic limits beside of running out of things to do? 

I have no trouble with running out of things to do with my org, infact it is the opposite, I do not have the time to get everything done, that said we do own terris on 9 planets now, plus an operational space station, so lots to look after.  Seems we are playing different games though, from that perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moosegun said:

I have no trouble with running out of things to do with my org, infact it is the opposite, I do not have the time to get everything done, that said we do own terris on 9 planets now, plus an operational space station, so lots to look after.  Seems we are playing different games though, from that perspective.

Probably yes. We will see in few weeks, maybe 2 months. I will be really interested where we will be then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Maxnano said:

What would you do:?

 

A) Hitch a lift to another planet and start again, leaving all the stuff on sanc till a time when im able to collect myself ?

b)  pack all my stuff or the essencials into a large container hover vehicle and find someone willing to help me move ?

c)  stay where i am, and  buy then upgrade a small cargo hauller to go on mining expeditions as needed to near by planets  ?

 

I would definitely move to Alioth one way or another, a or b. Will need to buy a TCU and I'd find a place that is not too crowded so you can find ore in neighboring territories also. If you have someone you can trust to move your stuff, that would probably be the quickest option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moosegun said:

Please DO NOT listen to this, this is basically tieing you to the slowest form of progression possible, because of fear of something that is months away and we dont actually know how it will be implemented, moons are HORRIFIC for ore, with the lowest levels per tile anywhere in the game. 

 

Oh and join a good org, one that gives you a bit of freedom but also some security

For the experienced person moons are good. Lots of T1 and low gravity for hauling it. I do exactly as you said.  I make exactly ONE element with my industry on a moon. Sell it to bots, and buy everything else (I do build honeycomb).  Works like a charm make 2.5 mil a day when industry runs. My skills are getting good so it's better than selling ore at 20 per.  Very "new " friendly with just a little know how.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I threw together a little ship, a territorial marker, and stuffed it and everything else in my pocket and moved to Alloth. I periodically hop a shuttle back to Sanc to move industry back to my new site.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BaconofWar said:

I threw together a little ship, a territorial marker, and stuffed it and everything else in my pocket and moved to Alloth. I periodically hop a shuttle back to Sanc to move industry back to my new site.

 

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 10:08 AM, Moosegun said:

To the OP - interested by your decision 'not to buy anything' seems a bit odd, also something that seem to be shared with a lot of people struggling to make progress

I guess its impossible to fight this.

Even in our org, some new members say they want to have their own industry from the nanopack. Even though we can provide them with free L engines. 

As the time passes and ppl get more experience in the game, they learn how much time they are wasting..

 

But thats the only thing they need to chance. Time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...