Jump to content
Orius

Stock Exchange

Recommended Posts

We do not know yet whether organisations or players setting up businesses will be able to  actually trade stocks. It would be en interesting option. I expect though that it's more likely the markets will trade commodities and goods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its pretty much a no. Everything that concerns currency and stock markets require a strong faith that you get something in equivalent value. In the real world we have governments and similar regulating organizations who enforce certain rules which is why people have faith in paper currency or stocks, but we definitely won't have the necessary mechanics in a mmorpg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vylqun said:

its pretty much a no. Everything that concerns currency and stock markets require a strong faith that you get something in equivalent value. In the real world we have governments and similar regulating organizations who enforce certain rules which is why people have faith in paper currency or stocks, but we definitely won't have the necessary mechanics in a mmorpg.

Said with so much conviction.... I wouldnt rule out the possibility at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

Said with so much conviction.... I wouldnt rule out the possibility at all.

I agree there is a possibility that a stock exchange or a form of the stock exchange will exist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vylqun You forget cryptocurrency IRL... even if they are going down now for most of them, they created a kind of hope for several people, and they might go up again.

This kind of hope might happen in a game with emergent gameplay. I won"t be surprised to see markets on goods or even equity markets appearing, consequently, some kind of traders using that at their advantage might appear too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just need some big org stand back it or multi org use rare ore to back it like Petro-Dollar , it will have value.

I would like to see some inflation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John said:

@vylqun You forget cryptocurrency IRL... even if they are going down now for most of them, they created a kind of hope for several people, and they might go up again.

This kind of hope might happen in a game with emergent gameplay. I won"t be surprised to see markets on goods or even equity markets appearing, consequently, some kind of traders using that at their advantage might appear too.

But the thing about crypto currencies is their limitation, ofc its possible to code thousands of possible solutions for ppayer run currencies and similar, bit i doubt its worth the effort for nq. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that's a great idea. DU is the perfect game to do it in. Just think of meeting a new trade partner who started up his own trade route, he does a great job and is fast and friendly. You look up his  company in the stock exchange and buy some shares because of the good interaction. He gets money and as he grows so does the stock value. Being able to sell shares of a company in transactions would really help businesses form alliances and trust with partners. You own 5% of the company who delivers goods for you, and they own the same. Both of you want to see each other succeed. 

The hard part is getting a system in place that's not too complicated or easily exploited.  Have a $ value assigned to each group, whether it be a guild, company, resource or corporation  Base values like in the real world, off total value and demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vylqun

I'm not sure NQ would even have to put effort on it. It will depend on how the market units will work. But with emergent gameplay plus if market units are flexible enough, it could be possible to sale shares of a company for example, or exchange copper against aluminium. Thus, automatically a market place will be created and it's buyers and selers that will use this exchange place that will automatically and indirectly setting prices on that goods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 12:47 PM, ShioriStein said:

Just need some big org stand back it or multi org use rare ore to back it like Petro-Dollar , it will have value.

I would like to see some inflation.

Well the DU version of gold is going to be the game time you can openly sale on the market. That is from my understanding the biggest metric on the inflation or deflation of the game and nearly impossible to manipulate if it is transparent.

 

On 4/5/2018 at 3:01 AM, John said:

@vylqun

I'm not sure NQ would even have to put effort on it. It will depend on how the market units will work. But with emergent gameplay plus if market units are flexible enough, it could be possible to sale shares of a company for example, or exchange copper against aluminium. Thus, automatically a market place will be created and it's buyers and selers that will use this exchange place that will automatically and indirectly setting prices on that goods.

As cool as it would be I don't think it is worth the effort. 

 

If I had to spit ball on possible design ideas it would be:

  • Make skill training be very tedious/long in order to be able to sell stocks on an exchange. So a player that wants to take the corp public would take nearly a year to fully train a level 5 skill. This is to prevent multi accounts from starting them up and scamming like you see on Eve.
  • If you decide to take a corp public there has to be a feature where assets are locked down to the corp and not removable and it matches the valuation requested. Assets being sold to another individual has to be approved by share holders.
  • Assets are locked down during the ipo and won't be finalized until after a certain % of shares are sold or time has been past. Basically the stocks that were bought with in game $ is in escrow until one or both above features are met.
  • You would have to put in a lot of effort into making the financials transparent and this is not going to be easy. This is where I leave it to people who actually does trades irl 

Just from these points it is pretty obvious in my opinion the scale/difficulty of putting these features into the game in any expansions over the decade of this title (if it lasts that long).  I think a better use is allowing us to have contracts that we can put up collateral held in escrow and we loan people the in game money with w/e interest rate the players set. They fail to pay off the loan then you own the collateral. This is an easier way to get your business off the ground with a cash infusion from an angel investor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...