Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So i just got done reading some of the threads on the forums, about people wanting to do things like be entrapeneurs (i hope i spelled that right), create their own country, or even construct ships in order to make money. After reading these threads I'm both amazed and intimidated by the community being built around this game. So many people know what they are talking about and how best to start with their goals and I'm here, not even sure how to do any of this! Wow, like i said i am both amazed and intimidated, but who knows this could be a good learning experience for how industry, politics, and economics work. Can't wait to jump in and see what's what!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join in with some other people, and try to have fun.  You will find your place in the DU.  Remember that a lot of talk is based on personal ideas and expectations, and that people are just coming up with ideas and discussing possibilities.  There might be some subject matter experts here, but a lot are likely to be based on experiences in other games and MMOs.  Try to take in the conversations and pick up some information, but remember that a lot of what is said is speculation, and interpretation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is A-mazing. There's a recent post showcasing "Movie-making" in-game with some entertaining and skillful sample chapters from another game. There's a  radio-station with well-designed advertisements, others will create LUA scripts whirring away in functional constructs built by other players, across "known space" spreading the human survivors technology lighting up the darker reaches, there will be some sub-verses within the game, in-game space racing with betting soft currency in game perhaps? And that's not even getting started on the online business moguls money-making businesses, or mentioning the Voxel architects who've shown off their work from Landmark, already.

 

It seems intimidating, but these are other peoples' ideas and dreams, that one would not perhaps dream for oneself. If you find your own dream then it is not intimidating but invigorating.

 

I aim to come up with a few ideas myself. Some will hatch, others will not, and if lucky one or two such eggs, will be made of gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MookMcMook said:

Yes it is A-mazing. There's a recent post showcasing "Movie-making" in-game with some entertaining and skillful sample chapters from another game. There's a  radio-station with well-designed advertisements, others will create LUA scripts whirring away in functional constructs built by other players, across "known space" spreading the human survivors technology lighting up the darker reaches, there will be some sub-verses within the game, in-game space racing with betting soft currency in game perhaps? And that's not even getting started on the online business moguls money-making businesses, or mentioning the Voxel architects who've shown off their work from Landmark, already.

 

It seems intimidating, but these are other peoples' ideas and dreams, that one would not perhaps dream for oneself. If you find your own dream then it is not intimidating but invigorating.

 

I aim to come up with a few ideas myself. Some will hatch, others will not, and if lucky one or two such eggs, will be made of gold.

Just remember that there's a difference between what people say they're going to do, and what actually happens. It's easy to get a bunch of people together to plan a huge city and lay out all sorts of organizations and flow charts and ideas and different roles and all kinds of things... But it's another thing to actually build the city! Look around, join up with some like minded people. You don't have to be Elon Einstein to make a name for yourself, anyone can be a part of awesome things just as they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just keep in mind that with so few systems actually fleshed-out and implemented, the possibilities in DU appear to be endless and limited only by your imagination.

 

As we get closer to launch, the limitless possibilities will start shrinking as the reality of game design limits start making their presence felt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NanoDot said:

Just keep in mind that with so few systems actually fleshed-out and implemented

Much NDA?

5 hours ago, NanoDot said:

Just keep in mind that with so few systems actually fleshed-out and implemented, the possibilities in DU appear to be endless and limited only by your imagination.

 

As we get closer to launch, the limitless possibilities will start shrinking as the reality of game design limits start making their presence felt...

Everything mentioned in the OP's post will be perfectly possible by all means in full release, no need for a pessimistic outlook on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NanoDot said:

Just keep in mind that with so few systems actually fleshed-out and implemented, the possibilities in DU appear to be endless and limited only by your imagination.

 

As we get closer to launch, the limitless possibilities will start shrinking as the reality of game design limits start making their presence felt...

 "Theorycrafting".

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ATMLVE said:

Just remember that there's a difference between what people say they're going to do, and what actually happens. It's easy to get a bunch of people together to plan a huge city and lay out all sorts of organizations and flow charts and ideas and different roles and all kinds of things... But it's another thing to actually build the city! Look around, join up with some like minded people. You don't have to be Elon Einstein to make a name for yourself, anyone can be a part of awesome things just as they are.

People are more creative than they give themselves credit for. Perhaps that's because of themselves or because of the nature of creativity? Or both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Evil_Porcupine said:

Much NDA?

Everything mentioned in the OP's post will be perfectly possible by all means in full release, no need for a pessimistic outlook on it.

It does depend on the way you look at it though, he does kinda have a point. We know the basics of what the game will be; there will be building, planets, a permission system, etc.. There are other factors we still don't know about though, like how long the development of a ship/fleet may actually take when we are confined to the core gameplay loop of mining-refining-building, or what exactly the benefits will be of settling down in a big community as opposed to spread out. There may be logistical reasons for why people will be completely unable to achieve the goals they originally set out. Or perhaps they may find that what they originally had planned just doesn't work they way they thought; maybe the culture of the game just makes certain things totally pointless, or too much trouble for their own good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×