Do not implement one currency / Implement endless currencys

Rafiki

Hello Guys,

please excuse my poor english, but i will try it to explain.

Do not implement an universe wide currency made by the administration. 

Give each organisation the possibilety to create a own crypto currency. but make it expensiv to launch.

let them choose the parameters of the crypto currency, how many units should be exist in which time and how much energy take the production...

now create a universe wide online market where you can exchange every currency instant.

the material trade market owners can now choose which currency they accept.

at least there will be just a few stabil currency with huge organisations in the background. 

If you implement this idea there will be more room for politics and economy dependencies.

In german:

Implementiert nicht eine unviersumsweite Währung welche von der Administration eingeführt wurde.

Gebt jeder organisation die möglichkeit eine eigene Crypto Währung zu erschaffen. Diese zu starten soll aber kostspielig sein.

Lasst sie alle möglichen parameter dieser cryptowährung aussuchen, wie viele geldeinheiten sollen existieren und in welcher zeit anwachen und und und aber lasst die production der währung geld kosten.

Nun brauchen wir einen unversumsweiten online markt wo man die cryptowährungen in echtzeit tauschen kann und angebote abgeben kann.

Die Besitzer der Rohstoffmärkte sollen die Währung auswählen können, die sie am markt akzeptieren.

am ende bleiben nur ein paar stabile währungen übrig mit mächtigen organisationen im hintergrund.

Dies würde politik und ökonomie weiter intensivieren.

If a cryptocurrency where to work in DU there would have to be several factors involved to make it successful.

1. Unlike most cryptocurrencies, it should be heavily centralized, with a company acting as a bank/broker to make sure each side keeps up their deal. (problem with this is that it is not necessary to have a cryptocurrency for this, so it would essentially be a hard sell on would normally be a broker service)

2. A way of pinning value (tying the cryptocurrency to an in-game resource, a certain amount of credits, etc.) This is also problematic, as it would require either A: the company backing the currency having these resources in advance or B: the company using the cryptocurrency that it has as a way of raising funds to do other deals to eventually amass enough money/resources to back the currency, similar to the way banks loan and deal on debt. 

Note for 2: This could just be a starting point, and then having the currency payed for online with in-game currency and real world currency, but most probably this pinning of value will have to continue for the duration of the currencies life time.

Also, making it so that each company could make it's own in-game currency would make it incredibly difficult to play, like early Europe, having to trade between dozens, if not hundreds of minor currencies would make it difficult for everyday players and near impossible for new players.

3 minutes ago, yamamushi said:

@Rafiki if you're really interested in pursuing a cryptocurrency project in DU, let me know. I know that I've discussed some of my ideas with @Caesares recently, but a project like this will take quite a long time to put together. 

Yes, I am very interested. One of these projects could be an interesting first in not just gaming, but the world. There are definite difficulties to making one, but there are also definite rewards. 

You can make your own currency, but in a lot of cases I don't think it would be worth any of the benefits for how much work you'd have to put into it.

The only exception I can think of is if you were going to pay people in your own organization with the organization's currency, and let them trade it for items from your organization. ( basically the same thing as DKP used by guilds in World of Warcraft ) I'm pretty sure there was an old post on the forums about how you could manage a system like this in-game XD

EDIT: found it XD

59 minutes ago, Vellnn said:

You can make your own currency, but in a lot of cases I don't think it would be worth any of the benefits for how much work you'd have to put into it.

The only exception I can think of is if you were going to pay people in your own organization with the organization's currency, and let them trade it for items from your organization. ( basically the same thing as DKP used by guilds in World of Warcraft ) I'm pretty sure there was an old post on the forums about how you could manage a system like this in-game XD

EDIT: found it XD

For that it's just easier to track peoples contributions in some file and then just trade those virtually. No big deal.

I can't see such a system working in DU (besides the point that nq already said there will only be one currency iirc) - it's too much work with little benefit. And even makes the game worse when you're new to a planet with 6 orgs on it and try to sell/buy stuff from everyone

16 minutes ago, Lethys said:

For that it's just easier to track peoples contributions in some file and then just trade those virtually. No big deal.

I can't see such a system working in DU (besides the point that nq already said there will only be one currency iirc) - it's too much work with little benefit. And even makes the game worse when you're new to a planet with 6 orgs on it and try to sell/buy stuff from everyone

A points system is useful when the organization doesn't have money to give to it's members, but has a lot of other resources to trade.

Example: The org has a lot of metal but is low on rubber and money, and they need rubber to make ships to fight in the war. People who give rubber to the org can't be compensated with money because the org will run out of money. If the org gives "org currency" for giving rubber, the members giving rubber can trade the "org currency" for metal at a higher rate than they would be able to using money.

In this example, if the org doesn't have their own currency, the only other option is to try to sell the metal for money and use the money to buy rubber; but that may not be possible if they're getting blockaded from the market or something, which seems like something that would happen in this game.

Exactly, and if you just use this system for everything you have a virtual currency, no need for a predefined system by NQ. Plus if an org is blocked from the other markets then they won't make any money (whichever) at all, cryptocurrency or not

Oh and they don't necessarily need more org money to exchange for goods, depends on what the org sets as rate

22 hours ago, Lethys said:

Exactly, and if you just use this system for everything you have a virtual currency, no need for a predefined system by NQ.

I hope I wasn't implying that there should be a predefined system for this made my NQ XD

no no no no no lol I don't think NQ should code in another currency into the game, or some custom currency system. If they did that you'd probably have a bunch of yahoos making a million different currencies and it would get real stupid real fast.

The system I'm describing is created by players using in-game mechanics, and it would be super uncommon (like the example where they're in the middle of nowhere and have no money as I described earlier)

22 hours ago, Lethys said:

Plus if an org is blocked from the other markets then they won't make any money (whichever) at all, cryptocurrency or not

The org currency would be Fiat money. So just like the federal reserve in the US, they can give out as much of their currency as they want, but the value of each unit of currency goes down for each unit of currency added. Other markets are not involved in the process of them making more of their own money.

The fact that they won't be getting any Quanta (which is what I'm told the DU official money will be called), is why they have their own currency in the first place.

I was too referring to game mechanics made by nq.

Well, yes - that's why they do it.

All in saying is that there's no need for such mechanics as orgs can already do that, even without a game. It's not as convenient, true, but possible. 

And as NQ won't go for multiple currencies because of said problems, I can only see this happening via some virtual currency.

On 24.8.2017 at 5:20 PM, Lethys said:

All in saying is that there's no need for such mechanics as orgs can already do that, even without a game. It's not as convenient, true, but possible. 

And as NQ won't go for multiple currencies because of said problems, I can only see this happening via some virtual currency.

Actually it could really help us if NQ would provide some mechanics for that...
To my understanding the goal of creating a cryptocurrency for DU would be that you can program it to have certain properties, so that the currency is useful in DU.
NQ would not need to actually provide dedicated cryptocurrency system. An API to get some relevant ingame values would be enough...

With that players could program their own currencies externaly to generate coins based on values from this API where the value is tethered to the amount of Quanta an org has, or iron, or DACs, or any other value you can get from this API.
Possibly you could also create a currency that rewards players with coins based on there ontime. (ok, that would probably not work out xD)

Since the value is practally "hard coded" into the currency it would be very reliable asset for trading.

But that’s only the beginning. With smart contracts even more things are possible. Maybe someone wants to create a DAU in DU. ;)

I’m actually a big fan of Ethereum myself. They also provide a very simple way to create so called ERC20 tokens based on the Ethereum-platform.
https://www.ethereum.org/token
They seem also quite successful as there are currently 5892 different currencys based on ERC20!
However it’s actually tied to the ETH-blockchain, so you have to pay “gas” for each transaction which might be a bit tricky for a game-currency...

I never heard of Open Transactions but since yama said in his cryptocurrency-topic...

OT can solve the off-chain transaction issue

This might even be a much better platform than with ERC20 tokens. I’m not really an expert on this, but I look forward to see yamamushi will come up with for our DU-cryptocurrency!

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:14 PM, Lord_Void said:

There will be enough currency fluctuations going on with one currency, let alone an infinite number of them. 

I agree total and lets not forget the real world system !@#$ = you may not be to happy if your currency doesn't match up with the big organizations! The currency ratio will be all over the place like in the real world now. Lets have fun and just keep its simple and if you prefer to use something different you could use the old darter type system over currency.

@CyberCrunch

yeah you could do a lot of stuff with it - all I'm saying is that NQ only wants ONE currency ingame (quanta) so they won't implement anything that would benefit your cause in creating a currency yourself. So the ONLY way you could do it, is via some virtual stuff you keep track of yourself. Doable, but a lot of work.

And still, I don't think it's a good idea